The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 27th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortisol View Post
@malaclypse

Nice selection of pedals. What's the orange pedal with the graphic in the bottom right corner?

I'm tempted to get a Pharaoh Fuzz and a TS for my board. How do you like the Pharaoh?
the orange pedal is an Earthquaker Devices Monarch. It's an OD that's supposed to emulate an orange amp's overdrive. sounds gnarly and uncompressed. the bass and treble controls are very powerful. I use it as a gritty boost. it's on most of the time.

The pharaoh is fantastic. My new favorite pedal. It just sounds awesome and has a million useable sounds in it. still haven't fully explored it yet. the one thing that irks me about it is the drastic volume changes between the different diode settings. the germanium setting is quieter than the silicon, and the 'diode out' setting is louder still. the germanium setting is super smooth, lush saturation. the silicon is harder and heavier. shouldn't be too big a problem once I get the hang of it though.

also can't go wrong with a TS. classic and tasty. I've had it the longest yet it still makes me smile when I stomp it on, and it gets a lot of use. it combines very nicely with the monarch. mine is a reissue btw, i'd say circa '99-'01. sounds great to me.
Old 27th May 2013
Lives for gear
Any of you old school TS lovers tried the pedals mods by Keeley or JHS and others on these pedals? Just curious. I loved what Keeley did to my stock Boss pedals a few years back.
Not seen the Pharoah is that the pedal line? Have to look them up. I love the obscure boutique stuff.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Any of you old school TS lovers tried the pedals mods by Keeley or JHS and others on these pedals? Just curious. I loved what Keeley did to my stock Boss pedals a few years back.
Not seen the Pharoah is that the pedal line? Have to look them up. I love the obscure boutique stuff.
not sure what the mods do, but I would like to change out the square footswitch on my TS.

the pharaoh is a fuzz pedal made by Black Arts ToneWorks. I'm not too familiar with their other offerings, but I love the pharaoh.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear
There's a million versions of the TS circuit that have improved upon what was good about it and fixed the bad. Many have also gotten around the buffer circuit or updated it.
The recent VoodooLab version has three mods in the unit for versatility. If you like the TS and what it does there is more of it and better.
Even the Visual Sound version has improved upon the sonics and improved the bass low end and their buffer is really good.
It's a classic circuit and no doubt the bench mark overdrive circuit so many have adapted. I saw the hand made TS that was like $350 or something, that is way over the top. The reissues are still 1980s tech.

I think overdrives are probably the fun in the guitar realm so many to try and see what they do with your amp & guitar chemistry.
I've become rather fond of Lovepedal and Wampler pedals myself.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

I've just finished modding a Boss DS-1 and it's transformed the pedal from being completely useless to half decent.

The kit of parts was cheap as you like, but there were a couple of discrepancies between the parts list & the actual components.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear
Keeley and JHS do it for you with a fast turnaround. I have not ventured into doing DIY kits. Seen a couple that look like would be fun to attempt. Just not sure my tech ability could render a working product doing a whole board assembly. Could probably change out a few components.

Yeah, for the life of me I never get why the DS-1 is so liked. Tried as I may I could not get it to work for me. The Keeley "Seeing Eye" mod which is what Vai and Satch were using a few years ago was OK but still not an amazing pedal for my tastes.
Improved the hell out of it to be sure. Loved how the LED responded to playing. Still was a DS-1 and although improved quite a bit not a dist voice that worked for me. Probably more useful for notes and not chords which is most likely why Satch and Vai were using it.

The Sachurator JS pedal is supposed to be a heavy mod of the DS-1 and Vai has since come out with his own pedal. Joe gets his sound from his signature Marshall these days and does not really use the Dist or OD Vox pedals anymore.
They say the DS-1 is the most popular dist pedal sold but it is only like $40, sounds OK for a $40 pedal I guess.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yeah, for the life of me I never get why the DS-1 is so liked.
Quote:
it is only like $40
Pretty much answered your own question, it's not a bad distortion by any stretch and it is cheap enough that anyone can get one.

That said, I gravitated away from it mostly due to the well-known level drop, my stock DS-1 when played with a high-output guitar would just lose level, even when on max.

Nothing worse that going from clean to full-on distortion and going quieter!
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear
Although I like a few of their pedals, I am not a Boss fan these days. Sort of migrated away from them in past years.
Like my Wampler Pinnacle very much and a big fan of real tube pedals using higher internal voltage on the tube.
My Ibanez Tube King has so much level I have to keep it barely on.
I did have a Keeley modified Boss Metal Zone that was a fun pedal to be sure. Was not great for use in a band but intense gain structure.
Just not up on having a chain of Boss these days, too many buffers.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear
Just got the studio setup with amps ready for recording, so board is dismantled right now, crazy how pedals accumulate!
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-wide.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-pedals.jpg  
Old 28th May 2013
Here for the gear

Ok I will play, Built the road case myself! Just love my tone these days, Playing a 1967 Gibson Melody Maker or Gibson Gold top deluxe thru a 1965 Fender Super Reverb. Freaking badass tone fellas!

Peace,
John B.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-imag0871.jpg   Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-16.jpg  
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear
Sorry guys but I cannot see, pedal names,chain, would be most helpful.
We like to see what others are using and how they config boards.
Old 30th May 2013
Here for the gear

I have gone the darkside fellas.
Until I get my cubicle at my new job; which is at a large church, where I also play on the worship team.

I am using a POD 2.0 as a clean amp sound to run my pedalboard in to.
The problem I have is that I have a 4x10 combo, its a 80lb amp. At the moment its too heavy to transport week to week.

I am gonna try a smaller solid state amp that's really cool this week though.

It's a fender deluxe 85 from '89, I believe. It allows you to blend both the clean and drive channels in parallel, so I have tweaked it to sound like a tube amp that breaks up when you strum hard. Since its a 1x12, I can pull it around easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-imageuploadedbygearslutz1369931233.888576.jpg  
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwaldvogel View Post
I have gone the darkside fellas.
Until I get my cubicle at my new job; which is at a large church, where I also play on the worship team.

I am using a POD 2.0 as a clean amp sound to run my pedalboard in to.
The problem I have is that I have a 4x10 combo, its a 80lb amp. At the moment its too heavy to transport week to week.

I am gonna try a smaller solid state amp that's really cool this week though.

It's a fender deluxe 85 from '89, I believe. It allows you to blend both the clean and drive channels in parallel, so I have tweaked it to sound like a tube amp that breaks up when you strum hard. Since its a 1x12, I can pull it around easier.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

say it isn't so!
Old 31st May 2013
Lives for gear
What's a worship team, they have a band and cubicles?

I've always pondered, what does one play in church anyway?
Old 31st May 2013
Here for the gear

Darkhorse a worship team is a team of musicians that play worship music, and my cubicle will be my work area, "I am the maintenance guy for the church" and I can stash my amp there so transporting wont be so painful
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear
I guess I have no idea what "worship music" is.
I sort of evolved away from made up beliefs over the years.
Music would not be the same for me without great blues, heavy rock and some metal tones. I'm a heavy fusion player just have no idea what kind of music that might be or why for that matter. To each his own I guess. Whatever rings your cowbell.
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's a worship team, they have a band and cubicles?

I've always pondered, what does one play in church anyway?
I'm not religious, but churches often sound awesome. Not every venue has a 3+ second reverb on tap, but a Catholic Church usualy does!
Old 3rd June 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
I guess I have no idea what "worship music" is.
It's also referred to as "Christian Rock," AFAIK.

It's rock/pop whose lyrics mainly sing about Jesus.

I personally have nothing to do with it (I don't play it or listen to it, nor do I care to) but it's got a HUGE scene. Google it if you want to hear what it sounds like. But again, it's just pop/rock with religious lyrics.

If I'm mistaken here, someone feel free to correct me.
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear
I've heard a smattering of it, and some "hard rock" bands of that claim.
Can't say it held my attention for more than a few seconds.
Was pretty much pandering to a dufus musical audience. Might as well be songs mentioning Dionysus for me.
Has nothing to do with the groove and funk of music, just peppers something about Jesus across similar sounding motifs, as if that has meaning to everyone.
I guess like rap and whatnot, if that suits your notions of music, that is where you are.

I am so not religious and that is not born of ignorance or not knowing of its claims and mythos, it is knowing too much of it. I wrote books on the history of it, showing things claimed as history were never history at all, and supernatural claims were pretty much the same fanfare of all human religions.

They all have their musical notions and the ancient were much more adept at intoning the masses into a hypnotic suggestive state to induce their belief syndrome. The Greeks after all gave us the musical scales and keys. The mystery religions were much more mystical and magical.

These days the blandness and whitewash with intonations of Xian yada is not anything I can get into.
Give me the blues, the funk, the groove, and the heaviness of massive tones.
If one wants to get into the religion thing they are more than welcome I just wish they could recognize a great many of us genetically have no ability to ride that wagon just as genetically they are unable to get off the wagon.

If that is the form of music you have fun doing then enjoy. It's not my cup of tea and far be it from me to suggest everyone should adhere to the same bell which is the irony they presume.

Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

-Breathe -Pink Floyd
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Was pretty much pandering to a dufus musical audience.
There's only one person looking like a dufus right now. It's the one who didn't know about a style of music a day ago now declaring it stupid. Now I'm an Athiest myself but, really, are you saying religious music is for the stupid, stupid in itself or both?
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

This thread is full of surprises!

I'm gradually building up pedals for my studio pedalboard. I've noticed some pedals are at their best with single coil guitars - fuzzes mainly. As I'm going for versatility, are there any pedals that don't play well with active pickups? I suppose active guitars don't need a buffer. Does having a buffer in the chain cause any detriment to an active guitars signal?
Old 6th June 2013
Here for the gear

To each his own. Some write bout sex, drugs, relationships/love, satan, mythical creatures, or God/Jesus.

To clarify for everyone, Worship is simply a vague term that describes an array of musical styles who's main focus is praising the biblical God with their music. So rather than focusing on the influence of the music, they place the influence of the lyrics first as giving it a primary worship genre, and the secondary genre is classified in comparison to the other styles of music that are similar in comparison.

To everyone your statements about pedals are very much appreciated, but we should keep the specifics of religious talk to minimum, as it hurts the vibe of the pedalboard forum due to the never ending array of opposing opinions or belief systems. I mean that with no malice or harsh feelings, just something I've noticed is better left unmentioned if possible.

Referencing styles of music that we play should be fine, and I am sure we'd all be happy to answer any questions about style of music, but lets keep personal beliefs to a minimum
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

Let's get back on the pedals and away from the stupidity thanks gentlemen.
Old 6th June 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortisol View Post
This thread is full of surprises!

I'm gradually building up pedals for my studio pedalboard. I've noticed some pedals are at their best with single coil guitars - fuzzes mainly. As I'm going for versatility, are there any pedals that don't play well with active pickups? I suppose active guitars don't need a buffer. Does having a buffer in the chain cause any detriment to an active guitars signal?
No usually not. The ideal mathematics for buffers and signal chain presents a low impedance signal to a higher impedance input. So an active guitar has a preamp with a buffer effect, as the signal is low impedance, which allows it to treble across long guitar cables without tone loss, and the high signal strength pushes through multiple TB connections nicely, as the capacitance added by the connections has little affect on a low impedance signals
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Noise View Post
There's only one person looking like a dufus right now. It's the one who didn't know about a style of music a day ago now declaring it stupid. Now I'm an Athiest myself but, really, are you saying religious music is for the stupid, stupid in itself or both?
Does it matter what I say, you can just make up whatever you like. I still have no idea what anyone plays in that environment and yes it is pretty damn vacuous and dribble pandering. They might call it inspirational but it has nothing to do with real music just a facade.

Now let's get on to pedalboards.
Anyone used Dark Arts pedals? That Pharoah Fuzz seems pretty inspirationally wicked.
Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

Well, I used what cables I had and it sounds pretty damn nice. Running a fender champion 600 through an external cab. Also sometimes a peavey classic 30.

Guitar-eq-compressor(loop 1)
Deja vibe-octafuzz- supatrem (loop 2)
Plimsoul-fulldrive-OCD (loop 3)
Tube screamer- big muff- ds-1 (loop 4)
Reverb- delay (loop 5)

Vox wah before all pedals
Volume pedal after all pedals (both not being used in current set up)
Attached Thumbnails
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!-image.jpg  
Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I saw a vid of Andy Timmons playing a keeley modded Boss Blues Driver on YouTube the other day. It sounded fantastic! It was some kind of interview and gear demo for a Greek guitar magazine, I think.
Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

Cuurent----Wah, eq, compressor, vibe, trem, overdrive , distortion , reverb, delay

Wondering if I should move the tremelo after distortion ??? Anybody's thoughts on the above order. Thanks
Old 9th June 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPro View Post
Cuurent----Wah, eq, compressor, vibe, trem, overdrive , distortion , reverb, delay

Wondering if I should move the tremelo after distortion ??? Anybody's thoughts on the above order. Thanks
Tremolos sound less muddy after distortions.
I think EQs work best after overdrives and distortions
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwaldvogel View Post
Tremolos sound less muddy after distortions.
I think EQs work best after overdrives and distortions
I'll try this out. Thank you!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search