The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 17th February 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
I use a Carvin V3 head with Mullard tubes and a Celestion vintage 30 load Carvin 4x12 with added dampening material.
Been the best amp I have ever owned really have no issue with using anything else. It does it all.
I also use their custom guitar builds and making guitar kits for fun.
The thing about Carvin is they have exceptional workmanship and quality and one does not pay twice the cost for having a middle man vendor mark up.
I have several great guitars from them and the current V3 stack which I just love.
That amp has not only a great vibrant clean channel but can duplicate a great sounding JCM channel as well as the gained up uber tube drive.
I am a pedal guy myself so I mostly use the clean and darker channels I have setup.
I tend to keep it on the 100watt 4 EL34s tube setting and it uses 5 12AX7s I have used 5751s in the past but I think I like the 12AX7s the best.
I have been a half stack user for many many years and this is the amp that does it for me throughout the range of tones I like my rig to adjust to do.

If you have ever had a Marshall you how fragile the cab can be, the grill cloth is a nightmare to keep from getting ripped.
The Carvin 4x12 is really solid built and has a metal protect grill on the front, a hammer could not hurt.
The Carvin sounds better, a very underrated amp and guitar maker. Cool for me as I am not dropping 3-4x the bucks on amps or guitars that simply are not worth it.
Yea I love carvin PA stuff and their guitars. I hated the legacy amp I played, but I know from watching demos the V3 sounds better.
My PLUSH royal bass 1060s was paid for by doing a ton of yard work for a family friend who builds amps for a living.

I guess the top channel is a stock built channel and the bottoms is a blackface fender type circuit. Something like a blackface showman amp. About 80-100 watts.
Very fun amp.
Had a master volume installed on the back.
I would like to have a effects loop installed, but probably never will.
Ill just use the cleaner channel PLUSH channel.
It's weird, the EQ controls are crazy sensitive. Thought about having him put in a presence circuit cause the highs are extreme at times.
-OR-
I could actually build myself one with a volume boost for my pedalboard myself lol
Old 17th February 2013
Lives for gear
Cool to have someone make custom gear.
I enjoy building kit guitars and modifying, them lots of fun.
Carvins builds are great. The playability is better than any stockers I got in the past.
Plus being able to pick woods and customize is pretty cool.
After playing a lot of years I learned not to spend such exaggerated amounts on name guitars and amps which are seldom worth it.

I do not know about the Legacy, that was always Steve Vai's baby. At the time they were just 2 channel and did not have the gain level of the V3 nor all the options. Not sure how they sound or what I could do with them. I did opt for the upgrade Vintage 30 cab load. They have tried to make these smaller versions of the legacy and really spare me the little amps.

The V3 has 3 channels, 2 are higher gain, each channel has smart loop switches and 3 level gain structure toggle and a 2 EQ position toggle which changes the EQ centering on the controls. Has both a series loop and parallel. Front panel and foot switched boost. 100% all tube.
The tone options on this amp are uncanny and there is almost nothing it cannot hit.
For less than 1K it is outstanding against anything close to that price. By getting direct from the factory half the cost is cut which I think most do not understand these are not cheaply made amps or guitars they cost half what they would in a vendor format due to the no markup. Best buy in the arena for my opinion.
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear

I need to make it bigger but you get the idea:

Old 27th February 2013
Here for the gear

Pretty stoked. I just ordered a custom buffered in/out no for my pedalboard. Nice buffer with a charge pump to up the voltage to the op amp. Should give me some nice sparkly input with plenty of headroom.
I ordered it from Garland Guitar Services. Ever heard of him?
Good prices.
Old 27th February 2013
Gear Addict

It's an older shot without the MSD Silvermachine, but:

Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwaldvogel View Post
Pretty stoked. I just ordered a custom buffered in/out no for my pedalboard. Nice buffer with a charge pump to up the voltage to the op amp. Should give me some nice sparkly input with plenty of headroom.
I ordered it from Garland Guitar Services. Ever heard of him?
Good prices.
I've been using a Radial PB1 which is an always on high end buffer and a switchable class A clean boost. Really made a difference on my rig, I have the headroom wide open. I also find I prefer any sort of triggered filter pedal or octave before the buffer. They seem to respond better to the straight hiZ guitar signal. Adding a stand alone buffer was the best thing I have done for my rig as I run a lot of pedals. One of these days I need to look into getting some bypass loop switchers to take them out of line when not on. Wish some of those switcher controller units were not so much bucks.
Old 27th February 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
I've been using a Radial PB1 which is an always on high end buffer and a switchable class A clean boost. Really made a difference on my rig, I have the headroom wide open. I also find I prefer any sort of triggered filter pedal or octave before the buffer. They seem to respond better to the straight hiZ guitar signal. Adding a stand alone buffer was the best thing I have done for my rig as I run a lot of pedals. One of these days I need to look into getting some bypass loop switchers to take them out of line when not on. Wish some of those switcher controller units were not so much bucks.
I made my own 5 loop true bypass switcher. The green one on my board.
Like 30$ for predrilled-preprinted enclosure and 25$ in 3pdt switches. But the rest is mostly wire and LEDs
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear
Good idea, I will have to look around for some good schematics. I like some that have the option of buffer or bypass input. The best one I came across for less bucks are the Radial loop bypass switchers, like $80 and 2 loops no power required to the switch. I like that Octaswitch but it seems I could do the same with 4 Radial's as I do not really need all the different loop combine on all switching. The Radials' would be very simple and less cost, of course not the cool buffer in the Carl Martin but I could just put my buffer up front and that is solved.
I do not think I would venture to making my own pedal as most kits are not to my liking or these low plate voltage tube pedals which do not make much sense to me. But making a switch block I think I can render that pretty easy. Have to hunt for some parts sources and ideas. Good idea and so much fun making something.
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maschinenraum View Post
It's an older shot without the MSD Silvermachine, but:

Some cool pedals. Just FYI, if you like the OCD, check out the JHS mod on that pedal, not much bucks and makes the pedal so much better, sort of brings out what you like in it and cuts down on what is not so great. I've actually pondered getting another one and having them doctor it.
Old 28th February 2013
Gear Addict

I'm not familiar with the JHS mod. Do you have a link perchance?
Old 28th February 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Good idea, I will have to look around for some good schematics. I like some that have the option of buffer or bypass input. The best one I came across for less bucks are the Radial loop bypass switchers, like $80 and 2 loops no power required to the switch. I like that Octaswitch but it seems I could do the same with 4 Radial's as I do not really need all the different loop combine on all switching. The Radials' would be very simple and less cost, of course not the cool buffer in the Carl Martin but I could just put my buffer up front and that is solved.
I do not think I would venture to making my own pedal as most kits are not to my liking or these low plate voltage tube pedals which do not make much sense to me. But making a switch block I think I can render that pretty easy. Have to hunt for some parts sources and ideas. Good idea and so much fun making something.
Go to beavisaudioresearch.com for simple layouts of bypass switchers, the stuff I bought was from pedalpartsplus.com.
GuitarPcb.com makes nice affordable pcbs that fit right on a 3pdt switch has all the holes properly connected for LEDS, current limiting resistor, and even pop resisting resistors.
I ran the "to effect" holes to a "send jack" and a "from effect" to a "return jack."
Very very easy

*edit*
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages...cker/index.htm
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear
JHS custom pedals and mods. You will like what they do.

OCD Prescription Mod
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Go to beavisaudioresearch.com for simple layouts of bypass switchers, the stuff I bought was from pedalpartsplus.com.
GuitarPcb.com makes nice affordable pcbs that fit right on a 3pdt switch has all the holes properly connected for LEDS, current limiting resistor, and even pop resisting resistors.
I ran the "to effect" holes to a "send jack" and a "from effect" to a "return jack."
Very very easy

*edit*
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages...cker/index.htm
Very cool, thanks a million. Timma!!!
Old 28th February 2013
Gear Addict

Interesting. One of the things I like about the OCD- I use it mainly with a Vox AC30 6/TBX is the lack of low-end cut; it's a very transparent thing with a good lot of gain, at least for my purposes as I mostly roll with single-coil Fenders, Teles and Strats. The mod is cheap as hell. My other guitarist usually uses PRS or Gibson through a Diezel- very different tone, so I go for a brighter thing with the Vox/Fender combo, and run an edge-of-breakup thing on the amp(s) with the OCD providing the majority of the filth- it's my favored dirt box. Thank you for this.
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maschinenraum View Post
Interesting. One of the things I like about the OCD- I use it mainly with a Vox AC30 6/TBX is the lack of low-end cut; it's a very transparent thing with a good lot of gain, at least for my purposes as I mostly roll with single-coil Fenders, Teles and Strats. The mod is cheap as hell. My other guitarist usually uses PRS or Gibson through a Diezel- very different tone, so I go for a brighter thing with the Vox/Fender combo, and run an edge-of-breakup thing on the amp(s) with the OCD providing the majority of the filth- it's my favored dirt box. Thank you for this.
Reason why I am here to pick up on good ideals and pass what I found to others. JHS is a major deal on pedal mods, better than keeley and they do a lot more work. You can buy a new pedall from them w the mod or send yours in. I have a POG I am sending to them as soon as I can.
When I first got an OCD I liked it because at lower gain settings it got close to that full not buzzy drive tone I was after. I think that was a v3 maybe a v2, traded it off eventually and down the road I thought I'd like to try it again. This time it was up to the v4. Much more gainy and fizzy on the gain structure moving towards more a distortion than an overdrive. Tone control on Fulltone is a bit of a peave for me, as it is not really a tone control but a high end roll off. It was also too gainy for me and I tried a mod someone here told me about clipping out one of the diodes and jumper over it. Made it better but it needed some other stuff I could not do. I was not aware of JHS at that time. So once again I dropped off the unit. I went to Wampler and have not worried about another drive since. The Wampler drive gives me real tone control and a bass that injects before the drive also 3 completely different diode config toggles on one pedal. Does what you want it to rather than trying to just deal with its tone. The most transparent and well done pedals I have ever used.

I would like to have the JHS oCD mod just to see if it is getting where I wanted to the unit to go. They do great work. Their custom pedals are first rate. They were putting out an exact Klon drive until Bob released his new KTR version which they agreed to stop producing them when he was ready for production.

The mod is low cost and they are really quick, so is Keeley by the way but he does not do the OCD.
Old 1st March 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
My latest March 2013 board pending my new Whammy V later this month.

A lot of pedals but merely for the sake of options and choices seldom are more than 2 pedals on at one time.

This arrangement affords the best tone and interaction benefits.
Just for the sake of pedal ordering:
Henretta Green Zapper -(envelope filter)
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah (really a great wah, surprised me, very versatile)
Radial PB-1 - (high end buffer and switchable class A clean boost, set for moderate perhaps +6db)
EH Micro POG - (soon to go out for JHS mod)
Korg Pitchblack Tuner (runs off dry out of POG out of chain)
Pigtronix OFO -(3in1 unit overdrive,fuzz, octavia. Mainly use the octavia its a cleaner ring mod type. Occasionally the overdrive for clean boost or the Fuzz combined for more hair on a solo riff or when using main drive to just push it over the top a little more.)
Wampler Compressor (I consider this the best pedal compressor on the planet, transparent and very clean)
Wampler Ecstasy Overdrive (moderate overdrive gain, fav drive pedal)
Wampler Pinnacle Distortion (can be rolled back to more an overdrive)
Bogner Uberschall Overdrive (set for moderate overdrive tone)
Ibanez Tube King Distortion (real tube, internal 100v plate great sounding pedal, probably my fav high gain)
Mooer Orange 90 Phaser
Fulltone mini DejaVibe
Amp loop:
tc electronic X4 looper/delay
(Mooer Shimverb pulled out just was not doing it. the phaser is cool)
BBE sonic maximizer

Intend to get 2 more pedals later this month to complete my want list for tones. The new Whammy V and the Wampler Triple Wreck which may replace the Pinnacle. Also working on building or getting a bypass looper switcher.

Furman Power conditioner all feeds, Voodoo Lab2 and special power strip for high current/voltage pedals
All pedal cables custom made soldered, coreX2 cables on main runs.

Mainly rely on the tube head for overdrive, the pedals just push the amp a little. High gain is just for clean channel fun.
What type of pedalboard are you using? Homemade or production pedalboards?
Old 4th March 2013
Here for the gear

mine is a Diago Showman Hard Case Pedalboard, on it i have, in order.

Dunlop Cry Baby
Boss DS-1 (getting changed for an MXR Fullbore Metal)
MXR Black Label Chorus
Danelectro Hash Brown Flanger (Swapping for a MXR Micro Flanger)
MXR Phase 90
MXR Carbon Copy
GGFX The Stallion Trem (my mate made it custom for me)
Korg Tuner

all powered by a Diago Powerstation
Old 5th March 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
What type of pedalboard are you using? Homemade or production pedalboards?
I build my own 2 level boards, cost next to nothing and I can render them in any size or shape I need.
My constant pedal changes makes for a lot of fun building my own boards.

Just had a channel failure on my amp so priorities have changed in the regard of new amp, repair or designing a different rig.
Old 9th March 2013
Gear Nut

I don't have an actual board, I just simply put pedals on the floor. My pedals are Boss MT-2, Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95, MXR 6 band eq and a footswitch that I got with the amp.
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackov View Post
I don't have an actual board, I just simply put pedals on the floor. My pedals are Boss MT-2, Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95, MXR 6 band eq and a footswitch that I got with the amp.
It's just a progression really. I had pedals arranged in a semi-circle for ages.
It's so easy to make a board I just enjoy customizing my rig. I am not concerned with gigging out these days so the size of it does not concern me. Last time I took it out I needed someone to carry the other end, no big deal. And the pedals remained hooked up w no batteries to worry about.

Just FYI, if you dig that Metal Zone and have a fair idea how to dial it in, Keeley does a mod for that you would freak over. And it cost next to nothing, improves the hell out of stock pedals. Keeley electronics and JHS do some wicked mods on stock pedals for a low cost.
Old 9th March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
It's just a progression really. I had pedals arranged in a semi-circle for ages.
It's so easy to make a board I just enjoy customizing my rig. I am not concerned with gigging out these days so the size of it does not concern me. Last time I took it out I needed someone to carry the other end, no big deal. And the pedals remained hooked up w no batteries to worry about.

Just FYI, if you dig that Metal Zone and have a fair idea how to dial it in, Keeley does a mod for that you would freak over. And it cost next to nothing, improves the hell out of stock pedals. Keeley electronics and JHS do some wicked mods on stock pedals for a low cost.
I like metal zone very much and I've heard that keeley mods are great but I don't know who could do that for me.
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
I like metal zone very much and I've heard that keeley mods are great but I don't know who could do that for me.
Go to the Keeley web site, follow the instructions, I had a couple things done by them, very fast turn around, they do excellent work.

MT-2 Metal Zone Mod :: Keeley Electronics

You will be so bloody happy you had this done. 3 switchable mods on the pedal.

JHS works the same way, you can send them your pedal or buy a new one w their mods.
Old 10th March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Go to the Keeley web site, follow the instructions, I had a couple things done by them, very fast turn around, they do excellent work.

MT-2 Metal Zone Mod :: Keeley Electronics

You will be so bloody happy you had this done. 3 switchable mods on the pedal.

JHS works the same way, you can send them your pedal or buy a new one w their mods.
I don't know, for some strange reason I don't want to send them my pedal. I guess it's because I'm satisfied with what I have. But who knows, maybe one day I'll do it. Right now I'm kinda thinking how to make my own pedalboard (I don't want more pedals, just a board to put it on).
Old 10th March 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Right now I'm kinda thinking how to make my own pedalboard (I don't want more pedals, just a board to put it on).
Cut a piece of thick MDF board or plywood to the size you want. Buy a long 1x2" board. Cut the 1x2" to run the length of the board.
Screw/glue one piece to the front underneath length wise.
And two stacked together (essentially making a 2x2") on the back underneath running length wise.
Gives you about the height and tilt of a pedaltrain pedalboard.
When that's ready I buy this rubber backed stuff from my local orchard supply that works as an amazing loop side to Velcro. It has a rubber esc backing and feels almost like an entry rug to my house material-wise. Use spray adhesive and some staples to hold it down tightly.
You can make the whole thing for 20$ ish.
Old 10th March 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
I don't know, for some strange reason I don't want to send them my pedal. I guess it's because I'm satisfied with what I have. But who knows, maybe one day I'll do it. Right now I'm kinda thinking how to make my own pedalboard (I don't want more pedals, just a board to put it on).
Some like this before its covered.
Make it any size you want.
Old 10th March 2013
Gear Nut

I don't want to buy boards and that kind of stuff, I want to do it by myself completely. DIY all the way!
Old 10th March 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
I don't want to buy boards and that kind of stuff, I want to do it by myself completely. DIY all the way!
How is buying wood not DIY?
Old 10th March 2013
Gear Nut

I want to use only what I already have and what I can find and make. If you ask me, a pedalboard doesn't need to be made of wood. And I also want something that looks a little cooler than your pic from previous post.
Old 11th March 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
I want to use only what I already have and what I can find and make. If you ask me, a pedalboard doesn't need to be made of wood. And I also want something that looks a little cooler than your pic from previous post.
Good luck, without wood or a metal shop it probably won't amount anything too sturdy.
Old 11th March 2013
Here for the gear

Darkhorse, your updated pictures never seem to work on my mobile app like the other pictures.
What do you use to embed them?
I REALLY wanna see your updated board, you should repost !

I have a custom buffer/in/out box coming my way and a very nice chorus pedal coming my way from Garland Guitar Services.
I might be utilizing a behringer nr300 to eliminate my hum.
I tried one the other day at a buddies house and it was amazing.
Most people don't use noise suppressors correctly, but this one works well when used correctly.
Only 30$ too !
I don't have to worry about cheap enclosures because it will always be on, and likely mount underneath my pedalboard.
The sonic stomp will be moving under the board as soon as I run outta room too.
Any pedal that is always on, doesn't need to be taking up valuable stomping space lol

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search