The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 28th January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top40Music View Post
Hi Guys . I'm in the Market for a new floor Board . I norrowed it down to these three .
POD X3 Live
GeNetX? Guitar Workstation?
GT-10: Guitar Effects Processor .
Playing wise , Well i can hang on the records playing songs from Guitarist like Jake Lee , EVH , Alex Lifeson , Norman Brown , Russ Freeman and Peter White . Thanks
What are you using now so we have a reference point?
Is it for playing live or in the studio?

I'd also go the tube amp and pedals route.
Old 31st January 2008
Gear Maniac

My Digitech RP-10 just went on me so As of right now I have nothing . And I don't Gig like I use to back in the 80's . But for some strange reason I'll like to start again . For the studio .
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
My Digitech RP-10 just went on me so As of right now I have nothing . And I don't Gig like I use to back in the 80's . But for some strange reason I'll like to start again . For the studio .
I've never used any of these, but if you're looking just to play in the studio, you may want to look at a good guitar preamp and then use either pedals or plugins to get the sound.

The floorboards are great for playing live when you need to sound like Van Halen one minute and Rush the next, but being able to cover all of those tonal styles comes at a price - sound quality.

If you find a preamp you like, you can then go from there.

I've found that for recording in the studio, I tend to use 3 different ways, sometimes combined:

Amp: I have a '71 Princeton amp, retubed, new speaker, and it does clean great. With my pedalboard on it I can get plenty of tones, and it's not rattling the walls with volume. Usually stick an SM57 in front of it into Pro Tools.

Preamp: I have a ADA MP1 tube preamp and a Mesa Boogie V-Twin rack preamp, both which go through a ADA Microcab II speaker emulator, then direct line inputs to Pro Tools.

Direct: I'll plug into a Summit 2BA-221 tube preamp and record direct with a plugin; I'm finding that while I bought Amplitube 1 and 2, I'm leaning more now towards Digi's Eleven or Izotope's Trash - just like them better and less of a CPU hog.

On amps and preamps, you can get great deals on this stuff used; I picked up the V-Twin for $250, and can get a pretty close recto sound for less than an amp. I can also dial in a pretty good crunch, and between pedals in front or plugins afterward, I can have distortion, delay, chorus, flange, etc.
Old 31st January 2008
Gear Maniac

Metallica" Sad But True" Guitar sound

nedorama Great Info . Hey Is it possible to that Metallica" Sad But True" Guitar sound From home using any of the 3 ways you've mention Thanks .
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
nedorama Great Info . Hey Is it possible to that Metallica" Sad But True" Guitar sound From home using any of the 3 ways you've mention Thanks .
I'm not a total Metallica fan, but I believe the black album was Mesa amps. My mesa VTwin tube pre has some good distortion channels that that could probably get you part of the way there, and you could probably come close as well with a guitar plugin.

With enough pedals, you might be able to get a small tube amp to do it, although this wouldn't be the preferable way.

I think you'd also want to double track the parts to pan to both sides to get it thicker, as well as tuning down to get a lower heavier sound.

I'm sure others on the board can give better advice as to how to exactly get the sound.
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsmith View Post
Well, here is the test. Can you go down to a club, plug straight into any amp you might find there and blow some minds? If you can do that, then it's all good. But if you have to have those boxes, that is where the problem is.
I need the email address of The Edge from U2. Very important question for him.
Old 6th February 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnielson View Post
its [email protected]
Old 6th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
She-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i--t-t-t-t-t! That mofo can probably plug in a chinese knockoff strat into a Marshal Micro-stack and cut your head off!

I will tell one thing about guys like The Edge and Alex Lifeson - those guys have crafted an extremely distinctive sound completely there own from those boxes. Over the years there have been Hendrix, Fripp, Vai and Satch, and lots of others who have incorportate heavy uses of effects in there sound. But each and everyone of those guys has great work on record with nothing but and axe and an amp (and sometime no amp!). I am not and have never been anti-FX. I have only been against those who not just are completely dependent on FX (pity for them) but those who think they are great players to boot.

Personally, I was never satisfied with my guitar skills until I reached the point where I could apply the same techniques (tapping, sweeping, etc) to the acoustic or clean electric as I could with a ton of distortion. I had to make a conscience decision about that. I was hanging out with a real shredder one day and picks up his acoustic and starts sweeping arpeggios up and down the neck. I couldn't do that without an amp cranked an overdriven. I decided then that I no longer wanted to be dependent on the electronics. And by being able to do that, you will be amazed at much better you sound doing all that when you do turn those boxes back on.
Old 6th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am not and have never been anti-FX. I have only been against those who not just are completely dependent on FX (pity for them) but those who think they are great players to boot.
Technique does not necessarily have anything to do with creativity. Music without creativity is (to me) dead music. You can be the most phenomenal player ever, but without anything to say, how are you gonna make people listen ?
If you put up rules for what is and what isn't correct in music you're on a losing streak. No The Edge couldn't play worth **** when they started out. Some of their most classic songs were based around minimum technique, max creativity, a healthy dose of fx, and a message to get across. Should they have honed their skills before they started recording ?

If there is a certain requirement that you have to meet before you are deemed a "qualified musician", then who sets that standard ?.. you ?
Where does it stop ? Who the hell are you to impose your definition of "the truth" on your peers ?

New set of requirements:
If you can't go to the pub with your banjo + singing voice and entertain people for a couple of hours without any kind of amplification you don't qualify.

Taken further:
If you can't call up the pub and through the phone entertain them for 3 hours with your speedpickin' ukulele you're not up to scratch.

How about:
If you can play one note with Boss delay and it sounds "right", why would you want to play 10 without ?
Old 7th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka gimli View Post

Brad Whitford's Board (2006)
I love "The West Wing"!
Old 11th February 2008
Right - I just deleted about 43 posts possibly some of them perfectly innocent.

The deletions were due to pointless bickering between Jamsmith and Strat girl and various others that got involved.

I want Jamsmith and Strat girl to keep away from each other and to stay out of arguments, if they don't I will suspend their access to the whole forum.

I dont want to recieve any PMS on this matter either - anyone that contacts me about this flame war may be instantly suspended for one month.

Anyone that starts up discussion on the bickering or needles any of those involved in an attempt to restart a flame war, may also also find themselves immediately suspended for a month also.

Back on track - stop fighting - or risk a ban..

Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

The deletions were due to pointless bickering between Jamsmith and Strat girl and various others that got involved.

I want Jamsmith and Strat girl to keep away from each other and to stay out of arguments, if they don't I will suspend their access to the whole forum.

I dont want to recieve any PMS on this matter either - anyone that contacts me about this flame war may be instantly suspended for one month.

Anyone that starts up discussion on the bickering or needles any of those involved in an attempt to restart a flame war, may also also find themselves immediately suspended for a month also.

Cool.
Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

If you can play one note with Boss delay and it sounds "right", why would you want to play 10 without ?
I wouldn't. But I would definitely like to feel confident that I could play those 10 notes and have them sound just as good if the delay crapped out on me.
Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wouldn't. But I would definitely like to feel confident that I could play those 10 notes and have them sound just as good if the delay crapped out on me.
Yup and so would I (having already been there)...

But it's good to know that there is a large and unruly world out there where others might chose to do different and that's just as ok.

We'll leave it at that shall we.
Old 12th February 2008
Gear Nut

Peterson Strobostomp > Diamond Compressor > Digitech WH-1 Whammy (in Keeley True Bypass loop) > Lovepedal Eternity Overdrive > BOSS CE-2 Chorus (with Keeley Hi-Fi mod) > Toneczar Echoczar Analog Delay (with optional Angelbaby modulator and modified EB Expression Pedal)

the Axess midi controller controls my line level rack FX, TC M300 (verb), TX 1210 (chorus) > TC 2290 (delay)

works for me
Old 19th February 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

Your the boss!
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

My board redone: (board itself is a Trailer Trash).

Ernie Ball Volume > Barber Tone Press > Ibanez AF-9 > Zvex Box of Rock > Emma Reezafratzitz > Boss NS2 > Ibanez CS9 > Line 6 Echo Park > Boss Phase Shifter > Reverbamate Sole-Mate

NS2 will be replaced by an ISP Decimator (NS2 is working intermittently)
Reezafratzitz may be replaced with an AMT Du Hast (en route).
Old 27th February 2008
Gear Addict

Proco RAT - KEELEY MOD
Zendrive
Boss TU-2 - Tuner
J.Dunlop Cry-Baby
EHX HOG - octaver / synth

I actually only got the HOG to be an octaver - just wanted one with good tracking and eventually ended up getting the foot controller and everything £330!!! - I want to sell this actually (it's too extravagant for me and I need the cash...so if anybody's interested PM me, I'll let her go cheap!
Old 9th April 2008
Lives for gear

I don't have a photo of mine yet because I'm waiting for a couple pedals to show up. But my signature has what I'm playing.
Old 9th April 2008
Lives for gear

Geek, that is pretty annoying that you have hyperlinks to "Instuments and amps" and it takes me to your myspace page...

I was expecting to see some cool guitars and amps for sale..

Old 15th April 2008
Lives for gear

Actually, I had a link to my band on my old signature and when I changed it for some reason it put everything as a link. I tried changing it but it didn't work.

On the flip flop, there is no such thing as to much self promotion.
Old 15th April 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by primemeat64 View Post
Proco RAT - KEELEY MOD
Zendrive
Boss TU-2 - Tuner
J.Dunlop Cry-Baby
EHX HOG - octaver / synth

I actually only got the HOG to be an octaver - just wanted one with good tracking and eventually ended up getting the foot controller and everything £330!!! - I want to sell this actually (it's too extravagant for me and I need the cash...so if anybody's interested PM me, I'll let her go cheap!

EHX HOG - octaver / synth still for sale
Mosferatu now for sale also
EDIT: Also Have Diago Showman Pedal Board for sale (750x350x100mm internal dimensions) - google it if you've not heard of diago.
Old 18th April 2008
Gear Addict

Tuner: Boss tu2
Wah: Crybaby (to soon be replaced by Fulltone clyde standard)
Compressor: Aphex punch factory compressor
Dist: Radial Tonebone
| 2nd channel effects loop -> ibanez AD9
Volume: Boss Boss Fv500H (now got me thinking bout impedence mismatch??)
Delay: Line6 Echo park.

Also got an empress tremolo coming soon with the fulltone wah.

Nice simple. I can focus on playing....

hmmm still thinking my signal might be at low impedance at the volume pedal stage... Mine is the high version.... any thoughts?
Old 21st April 2008
Lives for gear

i just added a modded crybaby to my board. I got rid of the buffer circuit and added a true bypass. LOVE IT!!! I also added an LED so I know if its off.

I think I'm going to true bypass all of my effects. I never knew it could make that much of a difference.
Old 22nd April 2008
Lives for gear
You may find it easier to have a loop box or two that lets you run pedals used less often into a true bypass loop, thereby making them true bypass and also cutting down noise.

I bought a No Suck True Bypass Looper pedal from Mike's Tone Garage; many people make them, but liked his.
  • Loop A: Keeley modded Ibanez TS09, original Ibanez AD9. I use this channel for lead, and it keeps the noisy old Ibanez out of my signal except when playing lead, when I don't care.
  • Loop B: Phase 90, Boss DD6, Ibanez Super Stereo Chorus. Since these are more color effects, I don't use as often, so when not in use, they're out.

Pedalboards.com also makes a cool true bypass strip with as many as you want, and can add in a signal buffer as well as a reverser -- if you want compression before or after distortion kind of thing.
New_Folder

There are some who don't think True Bypass is the way to go, like pedalboard to the stars maker Pete Cornish - The case against true bypass
Old 22nd April 2008
Lives for gear

A couple things:

I read the article about true bypass.. It was interesting and brought up a lot of things I hadn't thought of.

I think ideally the true bypass looper would be the way to go. If you don't mind me asking what does something like that go for?
Old 22nd April 2008
Lives for gear
$40-100. Many people make them. Mine was $75; they also make a new model with 2 loops and a tuner out. Thought about getting it, but the Boss TU2 tuner doesn't really do anything to my tone (AFAIK), having tried putting in and out of my signal path.

The pedalboards.com ones aren't cheap, but versatile.
Old 22nd April 2008
Lives for gear
Couple of other things to think about:
  1. Board size - you don't want it unwieldy, but at the same time planning for expansion (who doesn't want more pedals?) can be good, or you can swap ones in and out. I bought my pedalboard off ebay for cheap, but wish I had room for a volume pedal, as well as a space to put my reverb/trem switch from my amp. For now, I just gaffer tape the switch to the top of the Pedal Power.
  2. Power - your pedals will thank you for a good power supply, like the Voodoo Pedal Power 2 or similar. These can power Boss or old MXR type effects and even the 18V Line 6 big pedals.
  3. Cables - George L's makes it super easy to custom cable your pedal board - just cut to fit.

What pedals besides the modded Crybaby are you using?
Old 24th April 2008
Gear Head

my new addition:

a better-built and lower-noise clone of the Foxx Tone Machine.

happy birthday to me!
Old 25th April 2008
Gear Addict

Ok i'll bite

Heres my newly constructed.
Took me a while to choose it all but i'm VERY happy with the sound, layout etc.

PRS custom24 -

Boss tu2 - Fulltone Clyde - Aphex punch factory comp - Tonebone Trimode dist (effects loop has ibanez ad9) - empress tremolo - boss fv-500h - Line6 echopark

- Fender blues jr. (or split stereo by echo park to my fender ultimate chorus ss)

Apoligies on the picture quality. Spent all my cash on gear and not a camera!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search