The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

No Pedal board yet, it's got to happen eventually. For years all I had was the Mesa V-Twin, bought it new when they were first introduced and some homemade Craig Anderton stuff plus a Maestro Boomer II Wha Wha. Then after getting into smaller combo amps again, versus my Mesa Boogie Triaxis rack system, I started acquiring pedals a couple years ago the BD2 and the Fulltone Fat Boost were my disappointing first try's. The Analogman Beno Boost and KOT made me smile followed happily by the Hermida stuff. After Trying the Zen I had to have the Ethos then last was the Slidrigg. No time or modulaton based pedals yet, I get that from my rocktron Intellifex or LPX 15. A T-Rex Replifex is definitely in my future.
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Quite a mix of hi-fi and lo-fi, hooking them up on a board???
Reminds me of some original stuff I had long ago. I actually had an original Univibe before I had any idea what it was.
Some of those I'm thinking might need a by-pass loop switcher, really old 70 buffer tech the origination of the tonesucker bypass change.
I use a lot of pedals myself and I'm planning on a Carl Martin switcher to organize and loop out some of them.

suggestions:
Chorus - Wampler Nirvana Chorus
Vibe -Fulltone DejaVibe or similar
Flange - not sure, tc Vortex maybe
So far i just use them for recording so only have what i need connected. I do also have a wampler clean buffer but the LED has blown

I think the wah has the biggest affect on the clean sound when plugged in but not engaged

The carl martin sounds cool, will check this out

Thanks for the recs, the deja vibe sounds great as does the wampler

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwaldvogel View Post
Also remember that not all overdrive/distortion pedals get that exactly tone/phasing we want.
I used to basically always start by getting that perfect clean tone that I want. The problem is that sometimes my pedals could not give me the exact tone i wanted without changing the clean EQ. I usually use only one channel on my amp.
I used to run my GE-7 and my overdrives through a TB looper so that I only get those eq changes from the GE-7 when I engaged the overdrive as well.
Well this is why i sometimes use eq, not that often but generally always when an OD pedal is lacking... good with the bigmuff but not needed with the wamplers

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear
I'm not sure one can mention a Big Muff and Wampler in the same sentence.
Wampler's OD and high gains are light years ahead. Personally you could not give me a BigMuff, Ratt or DS-1 or anything of the sort. I got off that ship a long time ago in search of new lands. I know it's all considered "classics" and the tone bender all that. My POD has the lot and I dislike them worse than the pedals. But to each his own. I am just not a caring of anything vintage, I grew up with a lot of the old vintage stuff and never imagined it would be sought after as I was trying to get rid of it looking for something better. The modern tech and gear we have these days is just unmeasureable to the days of old. Even if I want an old style effect I would much rather hands down have a modern tech reworking of the unit.

Rather than use an EQ or as yet anyway on my rig. I love the BBE maximizer units. I now have my 3rd unit and generation and simply an always on enhancement to my rig.
I know some hate the modern as much or more than I have no care for old. But then again I have a lot of years behind me and my days of struggling with crap gear and tones is pretty much over.

It's a sonic correction unit not so much something that is recordable in the regard when played back it does not correct the frequency phase issues, that is strictly a live sound thing. I think that is where they miss the boat on the BBE, recording it can be problematic. Sure it can add clarity and punch to a track but it cannot really perform its true sonic function on playback.

I dig it and anyone who has ever heard my rig in a simple A/B goes out and gets one. Moderate settings around 12:00 in the amp loop last in line, bass clarity, punch and presence that is simple to use and does not require constant adjustment like an EQ which is all relative to volume. An EQ must be set to volume levels.

The BBE is a frequency phase correction circuit not an effect. And it makes any clean to uber gain tone better. Volume is not an issue low or high. Frequencies reach the ear at different time delays which is simply due to the speed of different sound waves, when you correct this lag the sound is dramatically enhanced but sounds natural and beautiful to the ear.

I just got to have it, everything sounds flat and non dynamic without it, I can adjust the best tones on my rig turn that puppy on and "oh yeah" that's really much better. Hate to be cliche' but to me it is indeed like taking a blanket off your cabinet.
Old 7th January 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
I'm not sure one can mention a Big Muff and Wampler in the same sentence.
Wampler's OD and high gains are light years ahead. Personally you could not give me a BigMuff, Ratt or DS-1 or anything of the sort. I got off that ship a long time ago in search of new lands. I know it's all considered "classics" and the tone bender all that. My POD has the lot and I dislike them worse than the pedals. But to each his own. I am just not a caring of anything vintage, I grew up with a lot of the old vintage stuff and never imagined it would be sought after as I was trying to get rid of it looking for something better. The modern tech and gear we have these days is just unmeasureable to the days of old. Even if I want an old style effect I would much rather hands down have a modern tech reworking of the unit.

Rather than use an EQ or as yet anyway on my rig. I love the BBE maximizer units. I now have my 3rd unit and generation and simply an always on enhancement to my rig.
I know some hate the modern as much or more than I have no care for old. But then again I have a lot of years behind me and my days of struggling with crap gear and tones is pretty much over.

It's a sonic correction unit not so much something that is recordable in the regard when played back it does not correct the frequency phase issues, that is strictly a live sound thing. I think that is where they miss the boat on the BBE, recording it can be problematic. Sure it can add clarity and punch to a track but it cannot really perform its true sonic function on playback.

I dig it and anyone who has ever heard my rig in a simple A/B goes out and gets one. Moderate settings around 12:00 in the amp loop last in line, bass clarity, punch and presence that is simple to use and does not require constant adjustment like an EQ which is all relative to volume. An EQ must be set to volume levels.

The BBE is a frequency phase correction circuit not an effect. And it makes any clean to uber gain tone better. Volume is not an issue low or high. Frequencies reach the ear at different time delays which is simply due to the speed of different sound waves, when you correct this lag the sound is dramatically enhanced but sounds natural and beautiful to the ear.

I just got to have it, everything sounds flat and non dynamic without it, I can adjust the best tones on my rig turn that puppy on and "oh yeah" that's really much better. Hate to be cliche' but to me it is indeed like taking a blanket off your cabinet.
I LOVE MY BBE UNIT !! BBE like all manufactures use alot of "phase alignment blah blah" words are all hype words from BBE. I love my sonic stomp unit and could never live without another one.
But basically it runs all frequencies through a crossover and delays the frequencies by milliseconds to in theory make the phase of our signal more efficient. Old producers used the same trick using outboard crossovers and delay units before BBE decided to capitalize on the idea.
When one driver is trying to produce all the frequencies at one time it doesn't work very efficiently and sounds muddier. A speaker cone can't do it make bass excursion while trying to produce small wave high frequencies at the same time. By delaying some of those frequencies, you get the desired effect.
Pretty spot on darkhorse.
I think that BBE should change their description to... " THIS MAKES EVERYTHING SOUND BETTER" lol !!

I got a custom made OD pedal from a buddy in the DIY stompboxes forum yesterday. I trades him a japanese boss od2 for it.
I LOVE IT. It's basically a modified ts808 circuit without a tone circuit in the front.
Then he added another jfet gain stage afterwards and tuned the signal flowing into it so that it can be a boost/OD/DIST all throughout the gain settings. It utilizes the stupidly wonderful tone control that rolls off high end, and a bright switch that helps compensate other high frequencies for darker pickups. I like to leave it on though.
Pretty cool, the knobs are custom 22 cal. Bullet casings with little jewels on them.
Picture to follow
Old 7th January 2013
Here for the gear

It utilizes silent FET switching. The switch is a lil corny, might switch it out with the left over momentary a I have from modding my old DL4 switches.
But since all my gain stages are in a TB loop, it doesn't need to be mega rugged. Just needs to work.
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
I LOVE MY BBE UNIT !! BBE like all manufactures use alot of "phase alignment blah blah" words are all hype words from BBE. I love my sonic stomp unit and could never live without another one.
But basically it runs all frequencies through a crossover and delays the frequencies by milliseconds to in theory make the phase of our signal more efficient. Old producers used the same trick using outboard crossovers and delay units before BBE decided to capitalize on the idea.
When one driver is trying to produce all the frequencies at one time it doesn't work very efficiently and sounds muddier. A speaker cone can't do it make bass excursion while trying to produce small wave high frequencies at the same time. By delaying some of those frequencies, you get the desired effect.
I think that BBE should change their description to... " THIS MAKES EVERYTHING SOUND BETTER" lol !!

I got a custom made OD pedal from a buddy in the DIY stompboxes forum yesterday. I trades him a japanese boss od2 for it.
I LOVE IT. It's basically a modified ts808 circuit without a tone circuit in the front.
Then he added another jfet gain stage afterwards and tuned the signal flowing into it so that it can be a boost/OD/DIST all throughout the gain settings. It utilizes the stupidly wonderful tone control that rolls off high end, and a bright switch that helps compensate other high frequencies for darker pickups. I like to leave it on though.
Pretty cool, the knobs are custom 22 cal. Bullet casings with little jewels on them.
Picture to follow
Amen to that bro! I have my 3rd generation unit and I just have to have it, the A/B on live guitar is just night and day. More punch, clarity and headroom, it delivers such enhancement. Makes anything sound better. If you config it last in the loop and keep the levels moderate about 12:00, man. I have never seen anyone yet, experience a decent A/B test and not walk away going to get one. The little floor unit is only $100 I use the rack versions myself but what can you drop a $100 bucks on that makes that much difference in your tone? I just dropped $250 on a Bogner pedal I so wish I had not got.
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Picture to follow
Ha i used to have a bbe but hated it, never thought to run a guitar through it though, interesting idea

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 9th January 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey View Post
Ha i used to have a bbe but hated it, never thought to run a guitar through it though, interesting idea

Sent from my GT-I8190
I don't understand what's to hate about these units. Their noise floor has always been exceptional. The only people I hate heard "hate" them felt as if they added no value to their rig because sonically their ears simply were not trained/equipped to hear the differences.
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't understand what's to hate about these units. Their noise floor has always been exceptional. The only people I hate heard "hate" them felt as if they added no value to their rig because sonically their ears simply were not trained/equipped to hear the differences.
Who knows? Some peeps like 57s, avalon pres and gibson guitars, some dont - but its no mystery

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
One guy once told me "he liked having a blanket on his speakers". I left it at that.
BBE is for live sound phase correction, used as designed, how is better sound not an improvement? If a person hates more articulate bass punch, clarity and headroom then I am afraid I could not discuss matters of tone over coffee.

I used to use one on my stereo music playback system, I first heard of using them straight on guitar via Mustaine of Mega. Shortly after that the floor pedal model for a guitar board came out. I have a rack mount model as I dabble in stereo feeds now and then with different rigs.

I do not currently have a main EQ but I would not be without the BBE.
Before you try and adjust using an EQ, hearing the sound phase corrected might make a huge difference in what you hear.

I think the recording chaps encounter problems as they present the unit as an effect and a processor rather than a sonic phase correction device. Recording the effect might brighten up and articulate say an acoustic guitar or whatnot, but the phase correction cannot happen on playback. When used right before the final stage to your speakers it corrects the frequency time delay which due to simple sonic frequency behavior, some waves reach the ear before others, its just physics. When the frequency delays are corrected one hears the sound spectrum as a unified whole and it simply sounds better to the ear.

Here is the review I wrote about it which includes BBE Engineering's description:

BBE 382i Sonic Maximizer rackmount unit
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
it corrects the frequency time delay which due to simple sonic frequency behavior, some waves reach the ear before others, its just physics.
:::goes to get popcorn:::
Old 10th January 2013
Here for the gear
Hello effect-addicts around the world. this is my current pedalboard. tell me your opinions please

Boss CS3 Sustainer-->
ToneBone Radial TUBE Distortion-->
VisualSound Drivetrain GARAGEtone Overdrive-->
VisualSound Angry Fuzz-->
MXR 6 Bnd EQ-->
MXR phase90-->
ElectroHarmonix Freeze-->
Digitech HardWire RV-7 Reverse Reverb-->
VisualSound Liquid Chorus-->
ElectroHarmonix RingThing Sideband Modulator-->
ElectroHarmonix Qriddle Envelope Filter-->
ElectroHarmonix Memory Man with HAZARAI-->
Boss SL-20 Slicer

Old 10th January 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRay View Post
Hello effect-addicts around the world. this is my current pedalboard. tell me your opinions please

Boss CS3 Sustainer-->
ToneBone Radial TUBE Distortion-->
VisualSound Drivetrain GARAGEtone Overdrive-->
VisualSound Angry Fuzz-->
MXR 6 Bnd EQ-->
MXR phase90-->
ElectroHarmonix Freeze-->
Digitech HardWire RV-7 Reverse Reverb-->
VisualSound Liquid Chorus-->
ElectroHarmonix RingThing Sideband Modulator-->
ElectroHarmonix Qriddle Envelope Filter-->
ElectroHarmonix Memory Man with HAZARAI-->
Boss SL-20 Slicer

I really like our board. You must be someone who plays ambient/post-rock genres?
Or are you simply a modulation fanatic?
My question is why you run the reverb Pre-delay and pre chorus?
Tell us how you use your board
Old 10th January 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
I've been at this probably many more years than you have been alive, every ones an expert and every one has an opinion, facts often get in the way of both. I think if you truly understand what Cornish and Bradshaw are saying regarding the nature of true bypass and buffer circuits, there is no disagreement in what I largely learned from them.....

Custom pedalboards use this line of thought, it is all in the design and what maintains the true dynamics of the guitar signal.

Happy camping...(don't hate me because I am pretty.)

I've been reading/lurking in the past few days and I enjoy this thread
and your posts a lot !

I was going through all these problems for many years and finally had
Pete Cornish build a custom board (effects routing system) for me:

01. Hi-Impedance unbalanced input suitable for passive or active guitars with gain adjustment ±20dB
02. Input signal level display with PPM characteristics
03. Isolated tuner feed
04. Variable gain isolated Send/Return loop (pre distortion) with gain adjustment ±30dB suitable for line level or pedal level effects;
with bypass footswitch and daylight visible LED
05. Pete Cornish NG-2 fuzz unit with bypass footswitch and daylight
visible LED
06. Pete Cornish P-2 distortion unit with bypass footswitch and daylight visible LED
07. Pete Cornish G-2 distortion unit with bypass footswitch and daylight visible LED
08. Pete Cornish SS-3 distortion unit with bypass footswitch and daylight visible LED
09. Volume Pedal Insert with Auto-bypass
10. Variable gain isolated Send/Return loop (post distortion) with gain adjustment ±30dB suitable for line level or pedal level effects; with
bypass footswitch and daylight visible LED
11. Pete Cornish ST-2 buffer unit with bypass footswitch and daylight visible LED
12. Mute footswitch with daylight visible LED
13. Overall signal boost variable 0 to +20dB with bypass footswitch and daylight visible LED
14. 2 off Isolated Outputs with A/B footswitch and daylight visible LEDs
15. Outputs A+B footswitch and daylight visible LEDs
16. Built-in fully stabilised DC supplies selectable for 115/230V 60/50Hz
17. Power Input Cable

You can have a look at it here... this link looks weird, but it
is the right pic, not the Cure efx system... :-)

Pete Cornish: Work in Progress: Porl Thompson - The Cure - Effects System

or see more pics of how it developed at:

Cornish Effects Routing System - a set on Flickr

Life is a lot easier now...

looking forward to participate here...

Paul
Old 11th January 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworldclub View Post

I've been reading/lurking in the past few days and I enjoy this thread
and your posts a lot !

I was going through all these problems for many years and finally had
Pete Cornish build a custom board (effects routing system) for me:

01. Hi-Impedance unbalanced input suitable for passive or active guitars with gain adjustment ±20dB
02. Input signal level display with PPM characteristics
03. Isolated tuner feed
04. Variable gain isolated Send/Return loop (pre distortion) with gain adjustment ±30dB suitable for line level or pedal level effects;
with bypass footswitch and daylight visible LED
05. Pete Cornish NG-2 fuzz unit with bypass footswitch and daylight
visible LED
06. Pete Cornish P-2 distortion unit with bypass footswitch and daylight visible LED
07. Pete Cornish G-2 distortion unit with bypass footswitch and daylight visible LED
08. Pete Cornish SS-3 distortion unit with bypass footswitch and daylight visible LED
09. Volume Pedal Insert with Auto-bypass
10. Variable gain isolated Send/Return loop (post distortion) with gain adjustment ±30dB suitable for line level or pedal level effects; with
bypass footswitch and daylight visible LED
11. Pete Cornish ST-2 buffer unit with bypass footswitch and daylight visible LED
12. Mute footswitch with daylight visible LED
13. Overall signal boost variable 0 to +20dB with bypass footswitch and daylight visible LED
14. 2 off Isolated Outputs with A/B footswitch and daylight visible LEDs
15. Outputs A+B footswitch and daylight visible LEDs
16. Built-in fully stabilised DC supplies selectable for 115/230V 60/50Hz
17. Power Input Cable

You can have a look at it here... this link looks weird, but it
is the right pic, not the Cure efx system... :-)

Pete Cornish: Work in Progress: Porl Thompson - The Cure - Effects System

or see more pics of how it developed at:

Cornish Effects Routing System - a set on Flickr

Life is a lot easier now...

looking forward to participate here...

Paul

I bet that cost more than my truck which cost 2800$ when I bought it
Old 11th January 2013
Here for the gear
Quote:
I really like our board. You must be someone who plays ambient/post-rock genres?
Or are you simply a modulation fanatic?
My question is why you run the reverb Pre-delay and pre chorus?
Tell us how you use your board
Hello Timwaldvogel and thanks for the feedback.
Yes! you're right! my music genre is post rock ambient/alternative and such as my band ive created :P
so , as you know, this genre wants too much effect and very good production in sound.

so. according to your question, i use delay in the end, cause this pedal has this selection in the second knob from the left ( i mean the memory man delay with hazarai , and its the "blend" knob).
when you turn all the way to the right this knob, you will get a full blended reverb effect, like a "room reverb" . at this point, i turn on my main reverb pedal (digitech rv7) , in the selection "reverse echo" , the MXR phaser90, and just playing the key note with a clean sound. it sounds like air blowing all over a desert, or all over some snowy hills. :P
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
I bet that cost more than my truck which cost 2800$ when I bought it
That probably would not get you started. That gear is uber custom and cool, most of us have no chance of ever reaching that level of quality.
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yes! you're right! my music genre is post rock ambient/alternative and such as my band ive created :P
so , as you know, this genre wants too much effect and very good production in sound.

so. according to your question, i use delay in the end, cause this pedal has this selection in the second knob from the left ( i mean the memory man delay with hazarai , and its the "blend" knob).
when you turn all the way to the right this knob, you will get a full blended reverb effect, like a "room reverb" . at this point, i turn on my main reverb pedal (digitech rv7) , in the selection "reverse echo" , the MXR phaser90, and just playing the key note with a clean sound. it sounds like air blowing all over a desert, or all over some snowy hills. :P
Man. I like that. How in the world did you ever tweak into that one? Being an old school Trower fan I love the idea of wind or storms in the background, makes me miss my guitar synth rig.
Old 13th January 2013
Here for the gear
Yes. Thank you too my friend. I came into this build after many tests , thoughts and my personal opinions about my bands music in our tracks. We begun as a pop rock band, now we are in the darkpost rock paths.

Except from all of these, i want to give me your thoughts and opinions about which place i must asseble the mxr eq. Current position is after the dist-fuzz pedals. My clean tone is not so blended as i want. I think i must put it before my distortions. Let me know guys.

Thanks for the feedback again!
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear
My latest 2013 board.

A few things are on the schedule to be replaced. I only use the POD for wahs and a couple filters, due to be replaced on my next pedal batch.
Mooer Shimverb is just not good, on the way out, another RV-7 or Supernatural. Mooer Phaser is surprisingly good.
Old 14th January 2013
Here for the gear

A college student's modest collection - it isn't much, but it does the job. I've also got a TC Hall of Fame that isn't pictured. I'm still open to throwing a few more "must have" pedals on there, but as you can see, I'm into simple, affordable boxes.
Old 14th January 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiameseDream View Post
A college student's modest collection - it isn't much, but it does the job. I've also got a TC Hall of Fame that isn't pictured. I'm still open to throwing a few more "must have" pedals on there, but as you can see, I'm into simple, affordable boxes.
I love the pork loin overdrive.
When I get my own studio space it is on my "buy" list for various tone shaping. but I guess the 4 gain stages currently on my board are enough for now
Old 14th January 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:

That sounds cool !!
I have been wanting a reverb or delay before my distortion a for a post-rock effect. I currently play in a post- rock band called "I prefer apathy".
We are really into bands like moving mountains, minus the bear, mew, explosions in the sky, etc.
I recently got a line 6 m5 for various modulation effects including their octo and particle reverbs. I also like the weird harmonizing and trem effects on the unit.
I am torn whether to put my boss rv5 or the m5 before my distortions. As of now, I haven't used the m5 too muh outside reverb, so I am thinking using my rv5 before gain based pedals and the m5 at the end after my delay.... BUTTT if I put the m5 first I can do trem reverb and delay all before distortion.

What are your thoughts?
I know I gotta try it out, but likely ill put the rv5 first
Old 14th January 2013
Here for the gear
Quote:
That sounds cool !!
I have been wanting a reverb or delay before my distortion a for a post-rock effect. I currently play in a post- rock band called "I prefer apathy".
We are really into bands like moving mountains, minus the bear, mew, explosions in the sky, etc.
I recently got a line 6 m5 for various modulation effects including their octo and particle reverbs. I also like the weird harmonizing and trem effects on the unit.
I am torn whether to put my boss rv5 or the m5 before my distortions. As of now, I haven't used the m5 too muh outside reverb, so I am thinking using my rv5 before gain based pedals and the m5 at the end after my delay.... BUTTT if I put the m5 first I can do trem reverb and delay all before distortion.

What are your thoughts?
I know I gotta try it out, but likely ill put the rv5 first

hehehe.. . i think that post rock is our final music station as musicians. after playing again and again in various genres, everything comes to an end called POST ROCK.

my band is called gap rays and we are inside the depths of archive , radiohead, explosions in the sky, dot hacker , Mono , this will destroy you.
im the lead guitar in this band, so im trying to fix my sound as best as i can.

if i where you i could put it like this :

Tuner/wah's/compressors / electroharmonix Pog(is something i want to buy like hell)---> DISTORTIONS ===>line 6 m5==>reverb rv5/delay(again:P)/ehx super ego // freeze // and one small delay or looper for more sounds.

you can use the new memory man delay ( this one with the black-white colour) by pluging to it a expression pedal so i think we gonna have something like this :

tuners/wah's/ etc .... POG ==>DISTORTIONS==> line6 m5===> rv5 ==> delay (a small one just for the delay sound) ==> ehx super ego ( for a synth sound) ==> ehx freeze (in which can clearly have a hammond on your guitar) ===> and one more delay , tapped down tempo from the previous delay, to give the feeling of two guitars playing :P ( the expr. pedal here you can turn the blend with your foot and every other knob you choose.) // or a looper to have some riffs on loop again and again .

my guitar by the way is a fender stratocaster MIM with a humbucker on the bridge. ive made her relic, and she is my baby . my dearest baby. i love to play in the neck pickup , with the mxr eq having turned all the basses up!

i know im crazy, but just make a few tries and tests with everything you like. but everything is on what YOU WANT to play.
Old 14th January 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
I love the pork loin overdrive.
When I get my own studio space it is on my "buy" list for various tone shaping. but I guess the 4 gain stages currently on my board are enough for now
It's a great pedal!
Old 15th January 2013
Lives for gear

Many pedals and experiences ago.. lately, most of pedals are rarely used together as a pedalboard. I use small but meaty tube amps and some gain from an overdrive pedal or two. Mainly recording not live so that does make a difference.

Simple seems to sound better to me these days as well as acoustic guitaring.

Although when I do drink...

Strat, fulltone fd-2, octafuzz, Tremelo, volume pedal, compression, wah, univibe, and a tubescreamer, big muff, verb, delay. Not neccessarily in that order.
Old 15th January 2013
Lives for gear
While I run a great many pedals, essentially they are just basic types. Instead of using just one OD I have like 5 if you include my Wampler Compressor as an overdrive. Also 3 gain pedals plus my amp channels which 2 have higher gain dist setup.

Seems like a lot of overkill but in general few pedals are on at one time.
Sure one could use more multi-units but few of those sound as good as individual pedals plus the options of order and config placement.
So many options of a drive into a clean or slightly gained or fully gained up amp channel. Big difference in say a Vibe into a clean channel, very Hendrixy New Rising Sun, or into a dark voiced JCM breaking up channel, via heavy Trower Bridge of Sighs warble. Nice to have so many options where one can range pretty much from any level of clean and filter to uber gain metal fusion. Pedals just make playing fun and interesting much less experimental and creative.

I would like to have a nice switching system at some point, I wish there were more options in that market most are way too much money. For me, it is just about having a lot of options and colors to paint sonically differing tones. Hard to get bored playing when a couple of clicks drastically alters your tone and gain levels. Everything has its use and tone so why be confined with the same sounds all the time. I have always loved the guitar changing tones and voices throughout songs rather than being the same generic tone all the time especially song after song.
Old 15th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

I would like to have a nice switching system at some point, I wish there were more options in that market most are way too much money. For me, it is just about having a lot of options and colors to paint sonically differing tones.
This is why i have so many ODs... borrowed a turbo rat the other day and it offers another palette my other pedals dont

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 16th January 2013
Gear Head

These are my pedal boards. It's mostly distortion pedals for my studio. The other one is for my Axe Fx Ultra.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search