The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
If you're like me, you try something else and suddenly you realize what a great pedal design the Wampler's are. I have the TW in my sites on my next buy just because I want to have one for my collection.

Since I have been using the Ecstasy/Euphoria Overdrive I stopped shopping for better drives. In the range of its 3 modes from clean to dirt you can dial in just about any taste in a drive without being just a TS clone. It has a "dumble", zendrive, zenkudo, mode that is just great.

I am not so pleased with the Uberschall, the hype is more than the pedal. I decided to go in the opposite direction and roll the gain off to more of an amp sounding overdrive. I have other gains which are more intense than it musters so I will just use it more as an overdrive. It rolls off and cleans up nicely plus has a lot of db push.

Not sure about the doubler thing unless that is harmonizer lingo.
I prefer above all, the new Whammy V, now polyphonic tracking and by-pass. I dig the harmonizer modes on that pedal, seldom ever used it for the weeeooooo thing most think is all it does. Having a great tracking clean interval harmonizer that does not require a locked key or scale is quite cool.

I have the micro POG at the moment and it is a polyphonic tracking for the most part, does a great sub 8va but the upper octave is not a true clean octave but more a synthy modulated feedback thing. It survives because it does that Hammond B3 organ Deep Purple mimic that is pretty fun.

I also like the Octavia unit on the Pigtronix OFO, a clean octave up unit with that lovely sense of ring mod coolness, reminds me of the Lovepedal believe I had been wanting. The OD on that one is OK but I am not really liking the Fuzz circuit all that much. I just use it for the octavia tones.

T-Rex makes the Octavia if you can find it, (my vendor carries T-Rex but not that one) it has a sub and upper octave I hear is pretty good.
Oh dont say that about the euphoria, really want one now, i feel my overdrive is covered by what i have except for a dumble style...hmmm ill try one i think

I used an old whammy, pretty cool but only liked the octave up for that 'my iron lung' effect
Will look at the pig and the octavia.

Cheers!

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you're like me, you try something else and suddenly you realize what a great pedal design the Wampler's are. I have the TW in my sites on my next buy just because I want to have one for my collection.

Since I have been using the Ecstasy/Euphoria Overdrive I stopped shopping for better drives. In the range of its 3 modes from clean to dirt you can dial in just about any taste in a drive without being just a TS clone. It has a "dumble", zendrive, zenkudo, mode that is just great.

I am not so pleased with the Uberschall, the hype is more than the pedal. I decided to go in the opposite direction and roll the gain off to more of an amp sounding overdrive. I have other gains which are more intense than it musters so I will just use it more as an overdrive. It rolls off and cleans up nicely plus has a lot of db push.

Not sure about the doubler thing unless that is harmonizer lingo.
I prefer above all, the new Whammy V, now polyphonic tracking and by-pass. I dig the harmonizer modes on that pedal, seldom ever used it for the weeeooooo thing most think is all it does. Having a great tracking clean interval harmonizer that does not require a locked key or scale is quite cool.

I have the micro POG at the moment and it is a polyphonic tracking for the most part, does a great sub 8va but the upper octave is not a true clean octave but more a synthy modulated feedback thing. It survives because it does that Hammond B3 organ Deep Purple mimic that is pretty fun.

I also like the Octavia unit on the Pigtronix OFO, a clean octave up unit with that lovely sense of ring mod coolness, reminds me of the Lovepedal believe I had been wanting. The OD on that one is OK but I am not really liking the Fuzz circuit all that much. I just use it for the octavia tones.

T-Rex makes the Octavia if you can find it, (my vendor carries T-Rex but not that one) it has a sub and upper octave I hear is pretty good.
Oh and the other thing about the tw is that with no gain its still very flexible eq wise, on fact the bass knob is very useful for thickening clean tones

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 9th December 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey View Post
Oh and the other thing about the tw is that with no gain its still very flexible eq wise, on fact the bass knob is very useful for thickening clean tones

Sent from my GT-I8190
That is always a feature of all Wampler pedals is the range from cleans to dirt and the overall versatility of the pedals. Some serious good designs here. Can't say I have run across another line so consistent. And Brian's stuff is all hand made (as much as possible) entirely in the USA.
Old 11th December 2012
Here for the gear

I'll tell you all I have completely fallen in love with my visual sound open road overdrive.
I like the big amp sound it gives me. kinda reminds me of an Orange rockoverb in medium gain settings.
I like to crank my fender cleans up to near breakup while still staying clean. That kind of push that gets mildly overdriven when you play hard. But is clean as a whistle when you play soft. I've been using it on our latest demo going into a DI and a amp simulator of a fender silverface twin.
Sounds amazing !!
I have a nice customized red strat, that i got some authentic grey bottomed flat top 70's fender pickups for. they are all wound exactly the same. I have been avoiding playing for awhile now, so I tried it out again the other day am I loved it. I use my keisman juggy MOSFET boost in front of my open road to get the saturation back where I need it to be.
See my flat tops are only wound to about 5.2k and my typical les Paul's run between 10k-16k on output.
But now I love it !
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear
The Visual Sound Overdrives are a TS clone circuit but I think better than the original everyone goes so ape over. I got tired of TS type overdrives and wanted something more diverse. Got really sick of 3 knob overdrives, I want options, toggles, actual tone controls, I found all that in the Wampler designs. As far as overdrives or high gains I go with Wampler Pedals as my first choice line.

Every time I get one I have never been disappointed in its range of useful musical options, the few of many pedals which exceeded my expectations without being a big let down. Seems like the art of selling has got the hype and lore of advertising to the point everything sounds like a god pedal when one is more often than not left holding something that cost way too much for how it sounds or you just paid at least half the money for the name on it. My Ecstasy drive has 3 entirely different diode matrix circuits into a primo op amp, it is not a TS circuit and its range of clean to dirt is exceptional. Full range of actual tone controls. The smooth or "dumble" setting rivals anything you'll get from a Zendrive or Zenkudo plus that is just one mode. There is a more gainy mode as well as a very clean "open" setting which akin to a clean boost w EQ and you can roll in some slight gain if desired. I may over time try out different overdrives but none of my Wampler pedals has ever been pushed off the board. That Compressor is a work of sound art, love that thing, and I used to hate compressors.

I had one of the those Route 66 pedals and it was really nice, I wish I would have run across JHS to mod it before I traded it off. I have heard the Open Road is a little better sounding than the std OD. VS makes great pedals. I loved that Liquid Chorus.

The problem for me with their dual pedals was they were always in the wrong wired order for me and no insight for a toggle to change the order. No way I would run delay into a chorus(H20) and I did not like overdrive after a high gain(J&H). Overdrive after gain completely changes the voice and structure of the gain, once you get a great sounds set on the high gain, the overdrive on and everything changes, neither the setting for the overdrive or high gain remains when both are on. You can dial them in separately but together requires different adjustments.

They are there are no rules for pedal order, for me there definitely are, as well as the importance of an amp loop for some pedals.
Over the years I came to a rule or axiom of pedal placement, the law of dominance, what comes after is the more dominant effect and before is reduced in effect. Holds true no matter what.
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Visual Sound Overdrives are a TS clone circuit but I think better than the original everyone goes so ape over. I got tired of TS type overdrives and wanted something more diverse. Got really sick of 3 knob overdrives, I want options, toggles, actual tone controls, I found all that in the Wampler designs. As far as overdrives or high gains I go with Wampler Pedals as my first choice line.

Every time I get one I have never been disappointed in its range of useful musical options, the few of many pedals which exceeded my expectations without being a big let down. Seems like the art of selling has got the hype and lore of advertising to the point everything sounds like a god pedal when one is more often than not left holding something that cost way too much for how it sounds or you just paid at least half the money for the name on it. My Ecstasy drive has 3 entirely different diode matrix circuits into a primo op amp, it is not a TS circuit and its range of clean to dirt is exceptional. Full range of actual tone controls. The smooth or "dumble" setting rivals anything you'll get from a Zendrive or Zenkudo plus that is just one mode. There is a more gainy mode as well as a very clean "open" setting which akin to a clean boost w EQ and you can roll in some slight gain if desired. I may over time try out different overdrives but none of my Wampler pedals has ever been pushed off the board. That Compressor is a work of sound art, love that thing, and I used to hate compressors.

I had one of the those Route 66 pedals and it was really nice, I wish I would have run across JHS to mod it before I traded it off. I have heard the Open Road is a little better sounding than the std OD. VS makes great pedals. I loved that Liquid Chorus.

The problem for me with their dual pedals was they were always in the wrong wired order for me and no insight for a toggle to change the order. No way I would run delay into a chorus(H20) and I did not like overdrive after a high gain(J&H). Overdrive after gain completely changes the voice and structure of the gain, once you get a great sounds set on the high gain, the overdrive on and everything changes, neither the setting for the overdrive or high gain remains when both are on. You can dial them in separately but together requires different adjustments.

They are there are no rules for pedal order, for me there definitely are, as well as the importance of an amp loop for some pedals.
Over the years I came to a rule or axiom of pedal placement, the law of dominance, what comes after is the more dominant effect and before is reduced in effect. Holds true no matter what.
Im getting a euphoria now, simply cant resist!!

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear
You'll like the Wampler pedals, I did. Players who use a TEL seem to like Paisley Overdrive better. Doesn't matter really the range of adjustment is way beyond any pedals I have messed with.
I am a complete pedal addict but no matter what I test drive I know nothing is going to bump the Wampler's off my board.
Brian just put out a new booster/buffer pedal the Decibel +.
I am aiming for the Triple Wreck and possibly the chorus on my next pedal batch.
I have the Ego Compressor, the Pinnacle Deluxe and the Ecstasy(Euphoria) all just great. I never thought I would dig a compressor pedal so much but that puppy became my fav pedal and the one I would choose if I could just have one pedal as it ranges from a clean boost to any blend of compression. Just thickens and enhances any tone.
At any rate, you'll dig the overdrive, look to the new manual for sample settings to get started and dial in from there. Took me a while to go easy on the bass as even all the way off the pedal has plenty of low end.
I use Strats primarily and I was after a thicker less gainy drive and the Esctasy hit that out of the park. And all USA to boot.
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You'll like the Wampler pedals, I did. Players who use a TEL seem to like Paisley Overdrive better. Doesn't matter really the range of adjustment is way beyond any pedals I have messed with.
I am a complete pedal addict but no matter what I test drive I know nothing is going to bump the Wampler's off my board.
Brian just put out a new booster/buffer pedal the Decibel +.
I am aiming for the Triple Wreck and possibly the chorus on my next pedal batch.
I have the Ego Compressor, the Pinnacle Deluxe and the Ecstasy(Euphoria) all just great. I never thought I would dig a compressor pedal so much but that puppy became my fav pedal and the one I would choose if I could just have one pedal as it ranges from a clean boost to any blend of compression. Just thickens and enhances any tone.
At any rate, you'll dig the overdrive, look to the new manual for sample settings to get started and dial in from there. Took me a while to go easy on the bass as even all the way off the pedal has plenty of low end.
I use Strats primarily and I was after a thicker less gainy drive and the Esctasy hit that out of the park. And all USA to boot.
Sweet, the euphoria will be my 4th wampler... am hooked! although now you mention the paisley...:D

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sweet, the euphoria will be my 4th wampler... am hooked! although now you mention the paisley...:D

Sent from my GT-I8190
Just ordered the Euphoria, thanks for the recommendation

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear
There is a review on it in the review section if anyone wants info.
I play Strats and the Euphoria(Ecstasy) kills on my range of different single coils.
Most who use TELs like the Paisley as that is what it was designed.

I hope to add the Triple Wreck and the Chorus to my next buy.
Just dig the compressor and my Pinnacle Deluxe.
I do wish he would try his tech at a filter pedal or a wah, I would love to see what he could come up with.
Old 15th December 2012
Here for the gear

My board

I know it's messy at the moment, but I'm not going to clean it up until I'm certain of the placements of pedals.

Also, I'm replacing the Digitech RV-7 with a Strymon Blue Sky.
Old 15th December 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin_the_Sun View Post
I know it's messy at the moment, but I'm not going to clean it up until I'm certain of the placements of pedals.

Also, I'm replacing the Digitech RV-7 with a Strymon Blue Sky.
Messy does not come close.

Still beautiful though
Old 16th December 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosgow View Post
Messy does not come close.

Still beautiful though
Haha thanks. :P

P.S. Love your Gir avatar!
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

well i got both the ego and the euphoria through today, truly exceptional! honestly the best comp I've heard and the euphoria is just amazing - never had an OD like it and in fact even after an hour I can see it to potentially start to push my other OD's out and I haven't even put a strat through it yet or plugged it into any other than my practice amp

at first i didn't quite get the euphoria but within a few minutes of tweaking (mainly from the guitar end) I was able to play chords through it that simply do not work with any other OD I have - haven't scratched the surface of it yet but am thoroughly impressed - so thanks for that recommendation I honestly thought I had my OD covered

ill post a pic of the finished collection soon
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear
Try keeping the bass down more on some tones took me a while to realize it seldom needed any low end boost.
I play nothing but Strats and for me the Ecstasy is the Strat drive, not sure if the Paisley works as well on a Strat but if it does I have to have one as well.
Also curious about that Tweed '57, they say these after the drive makes a killer great amp sounding stack.
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Try keeping the bass down more on some tones took me a while to realize it seldom needed any low end boost.
I play nothing but Strats and for me the Ecstasy is the Strat drive, not sure if the Paisley works as well on a Strat but if it does I have to have one as well.
Also curious about that Tweed '57, they say these after the drive makes a killer great amp sounding stack.
Yeah thats true of the trip wreck too but ive only been using my gretsch through them and its pretty bassy as is... got a nice sound rolling the bass off the guitar and then bringing it back with the bass knob - sounds great!

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 20th December 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:

The route 808 is the TS Clone made by visual sound. Their open road is another overdrive entirely. It actually sounds more like a distortion than an overdrive. I think it might utilize soft and hard clipping because it had the grit and scooped sound of a distortion. The tone knob is more like a presence control. It reminds me of the wampler mod to the DOD OD250 clones. Smooths out the sound significantly.
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear
What Wampler mod?
Old 26th December 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
What Wampler mod?
Look up mxr distortion+/OD250 mods and read the article that Brian wrote about modifying the pedals. I believe its in premier guitar. It places diodes in the feedback loop of an op amp and diodes to ground after. Rounds off the peaks nicely.
By utilizing soft diode clipping in the feedback loop it smoothes out the signal and by make the diodes to ground have a relatively high clipping threshold, it makes the pedal behave much more like an gritty overdrive an less like a distortion.
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear
Just never seen anything about it on the web site.
I am not a DIY guy myself. I go as far to make my own cables and small wiring issues in my guitars but do not think I could venture to mod or build a pedal, would probably kill it.
I had D+ ages ago, at the time seemed like a great dist pedal. Hard to fathom what the last decades have brought concerning pedals. I seem get dissatisfied with most pedal lines these days, only a few I still maintain on my buy list.
I have to say Brian's pedals have never left me wishing I had gotten something else.
Old 29th December 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Just never seen anything about it on the web site.
I am not a DIY guy myself. I go as far to make my own cables and small wiring issues in my guitars but do not think I could venture to mod or build a pedal, would probably kill it.
I had D+ ages ago, at the time seemed like a great dist pedal. Hard to fathom what the last decades have brought concerning pedals. I seem get dissatisfied with most pedal lines these days, only a few I still maintain on my buy list.
I have to say Brian's pedals have never left me wishing I had gotten something else.
I'd like to add that this is not a service Brian currently offers, if he ever did at all for that matter. Brian Wampler is a pedal builder that is very active in the DIY forums and has written books specifically on how to modify guitar pedals yourself. He is a man of great knowledge and understanding for what makes a guitar pedal sound the way that it does.
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear
I love the line myself. Wampler Pedals have a mythical status for me.
The only pedals I have consistently used which have never failed to meet or exceed my expectations of bang for the buck. I've been let down by so many lines lately which I always thought were top shelf. I am starting to think the Denmark guys except for a few pedals here and there are completely dufus. And Line 6 has completely fallen from grace for me.

I do not know how he does it or how he goes about designing a circuit. But his stuff is so transparent and natural sounding as to be freaky. Wampler's also play well with others and morph into stacks and combinations like no others I have tried. How many times have you been playing and the tone was so on and happening from the amp you actually had to look to see if the pedal was actually on? The E drive and Compressor are constantly freaking me out in that regard.

Some of us are trying to get Brian to apply his voodoo to a new wah and some filter pedals which should be easy for him. The inside of an SLO looks like something Nasa rendered so a simpler filter circuit should be easy for him to mess with. A Wampler wah or filter pedal, now that would have to be major coolness.

I realize there are only so many ways to create a certain circuit and many things sort of have to be close to others, but Wampler for me is the last thing I ponder as to being a mere clone of anything. I do not know what he does but man his end product kills.
Old 30th December 2012
Here for the gear

I'll share this video with you

http://youtu.be/5wzs18Fya9U

Brian in the works of designing his pedals
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear
Thanks, old but good info. Brian's got the mojo.
I just confronted the issue on their blog site and basically it is a matter of physics, one starts from a point of what a circuit is and does and proceeds there to refine it and tweak it to something unique.
I mean a car is a car, one could say Lamborghini copied a Kia because they are both cars or both copied a Model T but the end result is why we have an infinite number of pedals and amps.
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

before you ask, yes I need them all i run everything through them, in fact not pictured is my fender blender which is permanently plugged into my bass rig

my faves are probably the mu-tron (70s original), cry baby (also 70's), the euphoria is simply awesome and so is the ego, obviously the memory man too

the only gaps I have is a nice chorus, rotary/vibrato and flanger - I'm looking for vibey useble sounds - i can get a good variety out of the eventide but want the sort of mojo using my small stone gives which is not feature rich but sounds absolutely lovely - been leaning towards a polychorus, univibe (or maybe a deja vu) and a electric mistress but would like to avoid having too many EHX pedals - any recommendations on the mojo chorus and flanger

i also have a vexx fuzz face clone arriving soon and also going to get the QOTSA PB-1 for tone shaping but otherwise am done .... for now....

Old 1st January 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
before you ask, yes I need them all i run everything through them, in fact not pictured is my fender blender which is permanently plugged into my bass rig

my faves are probably the mu-tron (70s original), cry baby (also 70's), the euphoria is simply awesome and so is the ego, obviously the memory man too

the only gaps I have is a nice chorus, rotary/vibrato and flanger - I'm looking for vibey useble sounds - i can get a good variety out of the eventide but want the sort of mojo using my small stone gives which is not feature rich but sounds absolutely lovely - been leaning towards a polychorus, univibe (or maybe a deja vu) and a electric mistress but would like to avoid having too many EHX pedals - any recommendations on the mojo chorus and flanger

i also have a vexx fuzz face clone arriving soon and also going to get the QOTSA PB-1 for tone shaping but otherwise am done .... for now....

Some really nice pedals, but why so many EQs?
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosgow View Post
Some really nice pedals, but why so many EQs?
They have just accumulated over time and get the least use on my guitars but use them more on keys and synths for pre or post OD shaping - my approach to guitar is to not use EQ at all although the PB-1 looks really cool as its a more parametric style eq

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 1st January 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
They have just accumulated over time and get the least use on my guitars but use them more on keys and synths for pre or post OD shaping - my approach to guitar is to not use EQ at all although the PB-1 looks really cool as its a more parametric style eq

Sent from my GT-I8190
Ah I get it! Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:

Sent from my GT-I8190
Also remember that not all overdrive/distortion pedals get that exactly tone/phasing we want.
I used to basically always start by getting that perfect clean tone that I want. The problem is that sometimes my pedals could not give me the exact tone i wanted without changing the clean EQ. I usually use only one channel on my amp.
I used to run my GE-7 and my overdrives through a TB looper so that I only get those eq changes from the GE-7 when I engaged the overdrive as well.
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear
Quite a mix of hi-fi and lo-fi, hooking them up on a board???
Reminds me of some original stuff I had long ago. I actually had an original Univibe before I had any idea what it was.
Some of those I'm thinking might need a by-pass loop switcher, really old 70 buffer tech the origination of the tonesucker bypass change.
I use a lot of pedals myself and I'm planning on a Carl Martin switcher to organize and loop out some of them.

suggestions:
Chorus - Wampler Nirvana Chorus
Vibe -Fulltone DejaVibe or similar
Flange - not sure, tc Vortex maybe

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search