The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 15th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwaldvogel View Post
Is that picture a ts808 or a ts9?
You know I am not sure. I just grabbed the first one I found. The label is not clear. If I were to guess I would say the 808 circuit.
Old 16th October 2012
Lives for gear
Well having had many of these, sure I can see the Visual Sound is a dyna comp mod, same controls and such. Better I think actually. The Wampler does not do the overt squeeze which is what I like about it, the blend, attack and tone make all the difference. Instead of that clamp effect which reminded me so much of a noise gate which I also dislike. The Wampler labeled as "sustain" really sounds natural and the compression effect is very transparent. You hardly notice it being on. The notes and chords just seem to carry on naturally while the blend allows your straight signal level to merge. Lovely unit. Everyone I have turned on to the pedal just love it. I really mean it when I say if I could only have one pedal it would be that one.

Brian has a new Sovereign Distortion pedal that just sounds marvelous. Has that great thick sound you want for heavy fusion, Satriani type stuff but the quality of the voice is just way beyond that DS-1 and modified DS-1 Satchurator dist voice. A pedal I just never liked and I did try so much to adapt to it. The modified Keeley DS-1 was pretty good and the Satchurator was OK for mostly non chordal fusion stuff, but neither lasted on the board for long. That new Sovereign is really great tone. Has that open transparent quality of Wampler but the dist voice is so articulate and thick sounding. Do check out the latest demo vids.

Killing me, that makes about 4 pedals I ran across I am dying to get. Some great Klon type overdrives I am just nuts about getting my my hands on them.
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Well having had many of these, sure I can see the Visual Sound is a dyna comp mod, same controls and such. Better I think actually. The Wampler does not do the overt squeeze which is what I like about it, the blend, attack and tone make all the difference. Instead of that clamp effect which reminded me so much of a noise gate which I also dislike. The Wampler labeled as "sustain" really sounds natural and the compression effect is very transparent. You hardly notice it being on. The notes and chords just seem to carry on naturally while the blend allows your straight signal level to merge. Lovely unit. Everyone I have turned on to the pedal just love it. I really mean it when I say if I could only have one pedal it would be that one.

Brian has a new Sovereign Distortion pedal that just sounds marvelous. Has that great thick sound you want for heavy fusion, Satriani type stuff but the quality of the voice is just way beyond that DS-1 and modified DS-1 Satchurator dist voice. A pedal I just never liked and I did try so much to adapt to it. The modified Keeley DS-1 was pretty good and the Satchurator was OK for mostly non chordal fusion stuff, but neither lasted on the board for long. That new Sovereign is really great tone. Has that open transparent quality of Wampler but the dist voice is so articulate and thick sounding. Do check out the latest demo vids.

Killing me, that makes about 4 pedals I ran across I am dying to get. Some great Klon type overdrives I am just nuts about getting my my hands on them.
Hey brother, whats happening? Just wanted your thoughts on something. I'm already addicted to the Wampler stuff thanks to the Ego. LOL. So, I'm wondering what you think of when it comes to a Wampler OD on acoustic and also with electric. I want to keep one pedal board for both rigs.
I did watch a lot of the demo videos and they all look amazing. I'm really a Marshall/Fender guy and really love tone kind of like the Chili Peppers. Never been a big fan of the Boogie/Soldano tones. Not that they aren't great, but just not for my style of music.
So, any ideas? I will say that that Fender Blackman pedal looked amazing. Almost like more of a boost, than an OD pedal. Loved the tones I heard, and also from the demos, it looked like something I could work up a nice od/boost tone on my acoustic. The EGO is a great boost, but it's so amazing I always keep it on. LOL. Oh, and what about that Vodoo Labs Sparke Drive.
That pedal looks pretty cool too.

Thanks as always and rock on my brother.
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear Maniac

This my new lil board...it's not settled yet, but i'm quite happy at this stage..still not sure about the EP Booster placement : At the front just use it for buffer or after dirt before Modulation/Delay....

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
Oh, and what about that Vodoo Labs Sparke Drive.
That pedal looks pretty cool too.

Thanks as always and rock on my brother.
I like my Voodoo Labs SD for clean boost.. I think it's better boost than my EP..IMHO.
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by souldeep View Post
This my new lil board...it's not settled yet, but i'm quite happy at this stage..still not sure about the EP Booster placement : At the front just use it for buffer or after dirt before Modulation/Delay....

[IMG][/IMG]

I like my Voodoo Labs SD for clean boost.. I think it's better boost than my EP..IMHO.

Sweet, thanks for the input. I hear great things about the Vodoo Labs. I'm really digging that Wampler Blackface 65 too. That looks like a pretty great pedal. Rock on
Old 25th October 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwaldvogel View Post
What's is everyone's piece of gear they want, but will likely never have?
EMS Synthi Hi-Fly:
MATRIXSYNTH: EMS Synthi Hi-Fly rare vintage guitar synthesizer

and:
Ludwig Phase II guitar synthesizer:
MATRIXSYNTH: Ludwig Phase II guitar synthesizer - A vintage FX pedal

both are actually not synths (or guitar synths), but early synthesizer-style multi fx units (filter sample & hold functions etc). both are so rare and expensive these days I doubt I'll ever own one ...
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by motone View Post
EMS Synthi Hi-Fly:
MATRIXSYNTH: EMS Synthi Hi-Fly rare vintage guitar synthesizer

and:
Ludwig Phase II guitar synthesizer:
MATRIXSYNTH: Ludwig Phase II guitar synthesizer - A vintage FX pedal

both are actually not synths (or guitar synths), but early synthesizer-style multi fx units (filter sample & hold functions etc). both are so rare and expensive these days I doubt I'll ever own one ...
Thanks to Darkhorse, I now want all of the Wampler Pedals. LOL. Not that costly individually, but if you buy them all. LOl. That's another story.
Old 29th October 2012
Here for the gear

My board

Guitar or keyboard > American loopers true bypass a/b pedal > Maxon OD-9 Analogman Silvermod true bypass > Boss DD3 > Boss PS2 pitch shifter/delay > Keeley true bypass effects loop > vox 846hw true bypass wah > Boss Fv 500H volume pedal > Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 100 > 2x12 cab with a Warehouse Veteran 30 and a Warehouse ET65

The keeley effects loop when activated puts the boss gt-10 in the chain before the vox wah. I just use the gt-10 for tuner, phaser, tremolo, rotary. I don't use the preamps on the boss gt-10 anymore.

Please excuse the mess. It's a work in progress. I haven't hooked up all the cords yet.

I think I might need to find a way to put the wah before the delay and the modular effects that come from the boss gt-10.
Old 30th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
Thanks to Darkhorse, I now want all of the Wampler Pedals. LOL. Not that costly individually, but if you buy them all. LOl. That's another story.
Yeah, they are not your little Boss or Bheringer pedals but they do exceed your expectations which is not something I can say about many pedals. Been my experience more often than not you get what you pay for in this world. There is a reason why a Corvette cost significantly more than a small Kia.

You sort of need to customize what sort of direction you want to take your tone. Certainly just the 3 Wampler Pedals I have come to $600 which as much as I paid for my HD POD and a Mission expression pedal, but you know what, good pedals are what they are and they are seldom if ever cheap.

Really $200 is not bad for a higher end boutique pedal these days. The new Bogner pedals are $300 and I have no idea how they are sounding. With Wampler you have to be selective of the right overdrive and gain pedals and no one can go wrong with the compressor as it is a universal usage pedal. Some do not like high gain pedals and prefer just amp distortion, that is all fine and good, myself I prefer as many colors as I can get for a tone of options. Playing with a high gain pedal into a clean channel can be a real hoot and few have the feel and touch much less the articulation Wampler is able to get into these pedals.

They say the Paisley OD is the drive for TELs and more country style, and I like the Ecstasy/Euphoria for my Strats but these pedals are extremely wide range in their adjustment range and you could adapt them to any style.
I do not want to sound like a salesman, but I do like to pass on a great piece of gear when I run across it.
I am not saying there are not others lines of pedals which compare, there certainly are, but it is nice to have a few lines that one can be assured when you get one it will not be a let down as so many can be. The true test is when the newness wears off in a couple of weeks if it still makes you want to play.
I recommend the Compressor for anyone even if you do not like compressors as I was for years. You can simply adjust it down and blend the straight signal for a really nice thickening of the tone which is natural sounding to the guitar. You can also speed up the attack release as well.

Impressive pedal for a guitar. May be good enough for some studio uses as well.
Overdrives, there are bunch. There are the amp modeled drives which are designed to get near the tone of various amp front ends like the Black '65, the Tweed, the SLOstortion, and the Pinnacle which ranges a driven JCM, or the Plexi Drive which deals with that amp. All are good and most find if you like to stack pedals for a really custom tone it is recommended to put the Paisley of the Ecstasy into the '65 or Tweed.

Gain structures of the high gains vary a lot, depends on what you like, I am picky about overdrives and gains.
There is the Triple Wreck which is a major face melter with articulation, the Levithan Fuzz, and the new Sovereign dist which is getting to be a popular new pedal, if you like that modified DS-1 or Satchurator sound, or hate it as I did, this pedal takes that sort of fusion tone and really makes it work with a much better gain structure and voice.

At any rate, I will shut up now about the Wampler line. Just informing the masses of a great line of pedals, in as much as I like being told of others.
I am busy painting up my sound room this last week so everything I have is all over the floor and I have a lot of work to do.

Just FYI, I have a fairly large sound room I guess (is it ever big enough) at any rate I am trying this space illusion trick on one of my walls using what Da Vinci used with angles and radii to make a flat image seem more 3D with depth, like we used to do w mechanical drawing. I'll put a picture up when I get done, some of you might find it useful to make a room seem bigger than it is, to ward off that claustrophobic feel. Even my wife thought it was rather cool to create the illusion of space.
Old 30th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by souldeep View Post

[IMG][/IMG]

Do note for the VL Sparkle Drive fans they have a new model w 3 new modes and the new Giggidy pedal which is a preamp platform that can alter the voice of a gain or OD into the amp but very natural. I heard a Fuzz Face into it into an amp and it made it so Eric Johnson to make your head turn.
Old 31st October 2012
My latest board:

AMT WH-1 Japanese Girl Wah -> Copilot FX Gyroscope -> Z.Cat Polyoctaver 2 -> Amp

The AMT P1 and Magnum44 are my gigging backup amp. Although I could very well just bring only this board and a guitar to a gig.
Old 2nd November 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Do note for the VL Sparkle Drive fans they have a new model w 3 new modes and the new Giggidy pedal which is a preamp platform that can alter the voice of a gain or OD into the amp but very natural. I heard a Fuzz Face into it into an amp and it made it so Eric Johnson to make your head turn.
Old 2nd November 2012
Lives for gear

The current set-up?though we all know these things can change at any moment, alas. I've got a second board with a bunch of modulation effects, but it only gets use in the studio and on certain "larger" gigs. All this runs into a BadCat TremCat 30 or '65 Deluxe Reverb?again, depending on the venue size. Guitars are a '77 Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop and a "mongrel" Tele I built?'03 American body and neck, two Seymour Duncan Antiquity hum-buckers and a Bigsby?that has its own sorta thing going on.

Carry on...
Old 4th November 2012
Gear Maniac

Chain is

Line 6 G50 > Vox v847 Wah > Keeley Modded TS808 > TC Flashback

The Tuner is a Korg Pitchblack which I LOVE. It's plugged into the other out of the G50. That way it's always on, even if I press the mute button on the G50 transmitter so I can still tune silently

I like it really simple and compact.

Just finished this today, cant decide if I should keep the Vox or swap it out for my Cry Baby 535Q Multi. I kind like the simplicity of the Vox but the the Cry Baby sounds better when dialed, just a pain to dial it in sometimes.

Oh and the G50 awesome too. No more worrying about my cables, just batteries lol
Old 13th November 2012
Gear Addict

Pedalboard

Anyone know why my flickr pictures are not appearing in my posts?
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruvvamoff View Post

Anyone know why my flickr pictures are not appearing in my posts?
I tend to bring the pics into my account here then post the given URL. I resize to web page before I upload directly from my computer. Seems to be the best way here. I had other sites where I had to call from a source collection.
Just edit your pics on Photo on your PC to resize to web page format (a little smaller to fit) and upload into an album on your personal info here.
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
I tend to bring the pics into my account here then post the given URL. I resize to web page before I upload directly from my computer. Seems to be the best way here. I had other sites where I had to call from a source collection.
Just edit your pics on Photo on your PC to resize to web page format (a little smaller to fit) and upload into an album on your personal info here.
Legend, that seems to work. Thanks
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Addict

Boss TU-15
Boss NS-2
Boss CS-2
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
Boss CE-5
Boss TR-2
Boss DD-5

DBX160X
TL Crimson
Art DPS
Tascam US1800
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Boss TU-15
Boss NS-2
Boss CS-2
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
Boss CE-5
Boss TR-2
Boss DD-5

DBX160X
TL Crimson
Art DPS
Tascam US1800
That's amazing. Do you karate kick your pedals mid song? Bet that looks awesome on stage
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear
I fear I have succumbed to a fatal case of (UPBF) "update pedal board fever" the last couple of days and I have made my choices for my next wifey approved batch of "toys for fat boy" (my claimed charity for the 'poor' starving artist guitarist who lives in the house-me).
The winners are
Bogner RED Ecstasy Pedal
Bogner BLUE Ecstasy Pedal
Vox delay Lab
Dimarzio Area '58 pickup

These puppies will totally rearrange my board and allow me to pull the HD POD out of my loop and just use it for a collection of wahs (which I quite like on the unit, and a few filters I am fond of, pre amp in chain.) The various reviews of the Bogners have sold me just killer pedals and all new tech from genius R. Bogner, no op amps or diode gain stages in these new pedals. A ton of option switches and features. Cannot wait, will do some in-depth reviews here on each after a "trial, get used to it" period. The buzz on these new pedals is raging. They have a touch and feel to them unlike any pedal you've messed with.

Delay was a hard choice and I have had so many units. I was pretty sold on the new X4 Flashback until I started looking into the Vox Delay Lab unit. Really something here plus it has my beloved ms readout, a ton of preset slot memory, 30 modes of differing delays, 4secs delay, 28 looper, stereo, timing interval choices, tap, and abounding weirdness for the mad scientist in the lab. Also interesting presets given of some U2 and Rush 2112 delay settings, etc. Intelligent reviews have sited the unit as having really great sound and its tape and such so close to the real deal as not to be noticed. Sounds marvelous, and at $220 like $30 less than the X4 allowed me to squeeze in a pickup for the replacement change I've been wanting as well.
Santa loves me after all!!!!
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:

Boss TU-15
Boss NS-2
Boss CS-2
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
Boss CE-5
Boss TR-2
Boss DD-5

DBX160X
TL Crimson
Art DPS
Tascam US1800
I'm getting the psychic impression you seem like a Boss user, holy buffered pedals Batman!
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosgow View Post
That's amazing. Do you karate kick your pedals mid song? Bet that looks awesome on stage
lol nah, I hate it on stage. I much prefer writing and recording. But when I need to engage a pedal I give it a little jab with my fist.
They're Boss, they can take it.
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm getting the psychic impression you seem like a Boss user, holy buffered pedals Batman!
Boss rules!
But for the record I'm not a fanboy, nor hating on any other pedal.
I was happy with my first 4 Boss pedals, got a daisy chain power supply, then at some point after that I became addicted to the pwetty colours
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Boss rules!
But for the record I'm not a fanboy, nor hating on any other pedal.
I was happy with my first 4 Boss pedals, got a daisy chain power supply, then at some point after that I became addicted to the pwetty colours
Over the years, I migrated to mostly true bypass with a high end front buffer pedal and several isolated filtered supply bricks. I used to get terrible ground loop hum from daisy chaining. I tend to run two chains, amp-in, and amp loop and I found each had to be fed from its own isolated brick, crossing chains w power feeds was the worse noise floor hiss and hum, ever.
Last time I had any Boss I had them Keeley modifed which made them better. I sort of liked the Zone as a fun hoot to mess with but tried as I may I could never get into the DS-1 tone for gain. Boss has advantage in price as now my pedals are in the $300 range.

I lot of times it's not so much what you use but how you use it, been my experience a good player can make anything sound decent. Pedal addiction syndrome is a terminal illness which I have had for years.
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Over the years, I migrated to mostly true bypass with a high end front buffer pedal and several isolated filtered supply bricks. I used to get terrible ground loop hum from daisy chaining. I tend to run two chains, amp-in, and amp loop and I found each had to be fed from its own isolated brick, crossing chains w power feeds was the worse noise floor hiss and hum, ever.
Last time I had any Boss I had them Keeley modifed which made them better. I sort of liked the Zone as a fun hoot to mess with but tried as I may I could never get into the DS-1 tone for gain. Boss has advantage in price as now my pedals are in the $300 range.

I lot of times it's not so much what you use but how you use it, been my experience a good player can make anything sound decent. Pedal addiction syndrome is a terminal illness which I have had for years.
DarkHorse : here's some good reading for you.

The case against true bypass

You can thank me later.
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_LPF View Post
DarkHorse : here's some good reading for you.

The case against true bypass

You can thank me later.
There is a stronger case against having far too many buffer circuit pedals, you can thank me later. By placing a high end buffer circuit pedal in front of a chain of true bypass pedals the resulting signal loading and cap loss is zero and there is no befuddling the true dynamic tone of the open guitar as too many buffer circuit pedals render.

So in general it is actually better for a new pedal to be true bypass verses adding more and more differing buffer circuits into ones chain. True bypass offers a means to null the loading effect rather easily. Most also do not realize when one kicks on most pedals the resulting output is actually working as a buffer dropping the signal to a low impedance to the next pedal. So having a quality pedal on first in chain often provides the effect of a buffer thereby once again defeating the argument against having true bypass pedals.

I've been at this probably many more years than you have been alive, every ones an expert and every one has an opinion, facts often get in the way of both. I think if you truly understand what Cornish and Bradshaw are saying regarding the nature of true bypass and buffer circuits, there is no disagreement in what I largely learned from them.

By simply using a quality buffer in the right location the matter of having chains of true bypass is negated while having too many buffer circuits of rather dubious quality like little Boss pedals, you cannot really compensate or correct for that effect.

The best configuration which I have written in several articles on this site (the basis rendered here again) which BTY, suffers no disagreement among the best techs in the business who actually rendered this result:
High end buffer front of chain, true bypass, and a buffer end of chain if needed (if you are driving back to the amp through a long feed). The "sandwich" is the best configuration one can render using pedals. And this is to say in account that if you use an old vintage fuzz or whatnot they do not like the low impedance drop from a buffer or anything else for that matter which drops the impedance on output. I also often prefer wahs in front of buffers.

Too many buffers of not so great quality, cannot be compensated; too many true bypass, easily rendered null by simply putting a high end buffer in front of them, and/ at the end of the chain to drive long returns.

Custom pedalboards use this line of thought, it is all in the design and what maintains the true dynamics of the guitar signal. It is not desirable to have a huge chain of true bypass pedals without a front end buffer and it is not desirable to have a entire chain of differing buffers or low quality. In general buffers run off a battery do not provide a high enough voltage and headroom to really work well. Usually on these pedals (when off) if you hit a hard chord or huge signal into it it will break up. Some also render that too many buffers start cascading a noise floor hiss into your signal.

It is all on the level of adding just that little but of icing to ones rig which moves in the direction of science and better tone.

One can argue the premise of daisy chaining power supplies, not really a great idea, it leads to ground loop hum and noise floor hiss. Many do it and have no problems others are getting ground loop hum and noise floor hiss and merely choke off the noise with a NR pedal. In the same manner the better tech is a balance of true bypass and buffer so to it is better science to use isolated filtered power supplies.

Happy camping...(don't hate me because I am pretty.)
Old 16th November 2012
Here's mine
I've become an MXR fanboy in my old age
And the non true bybass pedals are in the big shot loop which is true bypass so they're out of the equation when not in use.
I've got a pair of voodoo labs Pedal powers mounted underneath to power everything
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Maniac

That's why I like a simple pedalboard these days. I really don't want to think that deeply

Still. Excellent post darkhorse
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's why I like a simple pedalboard these days. I really don't want to think that deeply

Agreed, great reading.
I must add tho, the only noise I get from the pedals is from the CE-2 compressor and the DS-2 distortion. (both of which are due a mod)
My signal seems to get through them all with no noise, and I love the tone.
Maybe I'm lucky?
And those MXR pedals look damn good too.
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:

Thanks for reading. It's just second nature for me, I was in Semiconductor Engineering for 29 years, to me it's a minor thing. I never think much about it anymore just a basic deal w pedals and such. Sort of like picking up some musical theory you tend to just forget it and play. I got started on the subject because someone wanted to take me to school on it and that sort of smokes my ash as it were. There are so many misconceptions and myth regarding things in the guitar realm if I save someone a few years of stupid like I went through, then mission accomplished. God the stupid crap I used to think, a little knowledge is a good thing.

For me I prefer new pedals to be true bypass as it is much easier to deal with verses having just too many buffers. First time someone hooks up a Fulltone on a daisy chain the issues of what a ground loop hum is become a reality. Some pedals will handle daisy chain some will not, the better method is to just go isolation filtered bricks. I also use a Furman power condition for my master power for everything.

Did I mention here I am ordering both the Bogner Red and Blue next week? That is going to be a sweet deal. I will do a detailed review on them in the section here when I get a chance to work through them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search