The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
I doubt if 2 real KLONs side by side are the same knob wise.
The JHS is $300. That is a lot for me for a 3 knob drive which I really do not care for but the KLON is an exception.
My Klons are all the same at the same settings. One of them is really early (first one I bought) and it's a tiny but different.

JHS is selling something that someone else designed for more money then the designer. I wouldn't buy it on principle. YMMV
Old 1st October 2012
Here for the gear

When I contacted JHS about it they were more like 200$
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
My Klons are all the same at the same settings. One of them is really early (first one I bought) and it's a tiny but different.

JHS is selling something that someone else designed for more money then the designer. I wouldn't buy it on principle. YMMV
JHS states in cooperation with John, I think it was, who invented the Centaur.
State it is the circuit hard to tell them apart in an A/B. JHS says they will stop selling the unit whenever KLON mass produces the new version Centaur. He is years behind claimed production yada and seems to make a couple boxes for super high prices around $1500 on ebay. No one seems to know what his trip is, as that pedal would be a huge seller at a reasonable price. The JHS is not supposed to be a cheesy DIY clone attempt. The JHS web site has several comparisons. For $300 it is high compared to most pedals but it is none the less intriguing.

Virtually all components have slight variance tolerances, it would not be impossible to have identical but the entire circuit with pots and all, even soldering points, is doubtful from a physics and electronics standpoint. Ears as a benchmark reference are simply not. Measurement devices via osciliscope curves and frequency analysis are simply beyond the ranges of human hearing and discernment. Test any two of anything and you will find minute differences, Not enough that a KLON would not be a KLON but knobs on 12 tests are pretty ridiculous in any context.
Old 2nd October 2012
Here for the gear

The love pedal Kalamazoo gives the klon a run for its money and its a completely different circuit.

Watch the PGS shoot out on YouTube
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwaldvogel View Post
The love pedal Kalamazoo gives the klon a run for its money and its a completely different circuit.

Watch the PGS shoot out on YouTube
Good news. And lower price as well.

I like Lovepedal and Wampler as well as Barber myself. I can get the Kala pretty easy, nice to know. I heard Sean's Amp 11 was a knockoff mod of the Timmy with a booster, also interesting. I like that weird octave ring mod Believe or whatever he calls it, why it's a pink color is a puzzle, what a horrible color.
Great pedals. His overdrives are legend.
Also a fan of some Xiotic models.
Anyone familiar with any?
Old 4th October 2012
Here for the gear

I am pretty positive that the amp 11 is NOT a Timmy knock off, while it may be similar in sound, it is much closer to the TS family still
Old 4th October 2012
Here for the gear

Granted the Timmy is considered different from the TS family of overdrives, but it is still a soft clipping op amp based pedal. The biggest thing that makes the Timmy stand out I believe is the switchable extra diodes in the feedback loop along with its unique tone controls. I figured that the amp 11 sounded like an eternity with a different tone stack.
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear
It's a clone. The lovepedal guys are great at marketing. Who else could turn the Electra Power Overdrive module from an MPC series guitar into a $200+ pedal with their Church of Tone? If you like the Timmy clone, great; but you can get the original from Paul C and/or dealers for $149, so why bother?

FYI I have an Electra MPC Les Paul and the Power overdrive module, so yes, I'm famiiar with it...
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear
Probably 90% of most overdrives are variants on a theme, the mods on the circuit make all the difference. There are basic circuit themes one has to follow in just about everything but the variant out come is the ball game. Personally I do not care if something is panned as a clone. Sean at Lovepedal does a lot of original stuff if he reworked a circuit w mods then so do a million others. Sure they make a lot of these pedals if they are manufacturing quantities to any degree but it is what it is. I am glad to have them around. I remember the really old days before we had a million different drives and what not.

Just ran across another pretty cool KLON Centaur mimic:
The Tone Monk Phoenix Overdrive runs like $275 and actually looks just like the silver one. Pretty interesting pedal.

Tone Monk Phoenix Overdrive
Old 6th October 2012
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear
Lastest rig update...

OCT2012 rig

Chain info:

Pigtronix Disnortion pedal
- clean out to Korg PitchBlack tuner, out of chain. love this tuner and I can see it better than the POD one. The Pig gets kicked on for various things in a stack mix, nice octavia pedal, overdrive set cleaner and fuzz for an open added fuzz for some lines
HD500 POD -w Mission Expression pedal. Wired into cab on a modified 4CM method with a chain of external effects.
Only using various wahs(amp in chain), pitch glide set to 5th, and/or chorus (one pre and post amp in), sometimes a filter model V-tron, amp loop some modulation and various delays/reverbs. (If I use amp models I run the POD into my power amp in stereo split cab config, through my main amp I do not use amp models. Do not use any of the POD drives or gains.)
POD loop chain to amp in: >>Radial PB-1 high end buffer and moderate class A clean boost>>EH Micro POG>Wampler compressor>>Wampler Ecstasy Overdrive>>Wampler Pinnacle Distortion>>Ibanez Tube King Dist>>Fulltone DejaVibe
Two amp switcher blocks in front for channels, loops and clean boosts.
POD main outs to amp loop go into BBE unit in rack holder.

A lot of pedals but there maybe only one or two on at a time depending on the tone I am after.
Cables are custom made soldered, power Voodoo Lab 2 and 2 higher current warts all power from Furman unit.

Add: If I want to mess with the PODs amp modeling I switch over to my secondary rig of a stereo power amp and split wired cab. I like the HD500 but I do not like trying to run amp models into my half stack. My rig can manifest an infinite variety of gains and overdrive tones using my amp channels and pedals. Most of the effects on the POD like the overdrives and gains are just not for me. It would take a considerable amount of bucks to pedal out of the unit for what I use it on wahs, modulation (does a mean chorus and phaser I like), delays and reverbs. The amp models I have set up just kill using the fullrange power amp rig and using a guitar cab gives them the power and punch of the real deals.
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

Looky

Thanks to darkhorse on the wampler ego recommend. It's amazing!
Old 7th October 2012
Just to answer this question for newbies everywhere, the state of the art for touring rigs, both pedal boards and pedals in rack drawer/shelves is 3m Dual Lock. I discovered it lurking around Dave Friedmans shop in the 90's. It used to be hard to find and really expensive. Now its at Target, Ace Hardware, DoIT center Hardware, radio Shack and all over the web for about $4 foot. Cut into 1" squares and apply on the bottom of your pedals. About 8" per pedal for small boss size, and 12"-16" per for larger ones. Comes in clear and black, I prefer the clear as the adhesive is better imo and comes off easier when youre ready, the black has a foam doublestick tape type adhesive whereas the clear has a different clear sticky part. It holds significantly better than velcro, most medium and small boards you can use your volume or wah pedal to pick up and carry your board!

Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener :3M US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kelly View Post
Hi all... fun thread!

Rookie question, here...

My first pedal board... What are you guys using to fasten your pedals to your board? I thought about removing the back cover of pedals, drilling a hole in both the cover and the wood board, and fastening using screws. Though, many pedals have the pcb boards attached to the bottom cover.

Some folks use velcro, but my fear is that when I transport the thing, I'll have the velcro come loose, and have pedals flying all over the inside of my Gator case.

Any suggestions or methods that have really worked well for you guys?
Old 7th October 2012
Buffer....

For anyone who hasn't gone down this road, a good buffer is key to keeping your tone happening, and your guitar feeling good and responsive under your fingers. Placement of the buffer is key, and should be either first in your chain or immediately after any germanium or silicon Fuzz or overdrives. JHS and Tonefreak make great buffers both designed by long time pedalboard maestro Dave Friedman, but I recently picked up LA Soundesign's Pedalboard interface which is a buffer, and I/O patch point for your pedalboard with a transformer isolated secondary or stereo out for ground loop free performance. It literally was like taking a blanket off my tone and has some cool features such as Vintage/Modern voicing. To my ear Buffers tend to "smiley face" your EQ, but this one keeps your midrange very strong, and is well worth it!

Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inca View Post

Thanks to darkhorse on the wampler ego recommend. It's amazing!

Killer pedal isn't it?
I have to say I hated compressors for a long time along w my apathy for noise gates. The "classic" compressors screwed w the sound so much the clamping and overt squeeze, messing up the attack dynamics. I had a couple Wampler pedals and I was just blown away by Brian's designs.
I never had such pedals that were so transparent and uncoloring to the tone of the guitar, and they just morphed with anything you chained them or stacked.
I heard the Ego Compressor on some sample demos and even those impressed me w what it was doing. I thought, man I could render some good things on this puppy. After about a week of learning how to set it up and use the blend/attack combination it became my fav pedal.
If I could just have one pedal it would be this one. Thickens, boosts, and sustains the tone on the guitar regardless of cleans or gains, I leave it on 85% of the time. The chords just sustain out, sounds very natural and transparent not like you have an effect on.

Brian's overdrives and high gains are a treat as well. Regardless of how much I modify and change my pedal chains, I never consider taking the Wampler Pedals off. Been some of the few things in the guitar realm which consistently exceeded my expectations. His delay pedal is one of only a few I have heard that can warble and feedback on itself just like a tape unit, and he has it slightly alter the modulation warble speed just like the old tapes used to do.
I never blink about choosing one of the Wampler Pedals, just one of the few lines I trust, probably even more than others.
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylabfilmpop View Post
Just to answer this question for newbies everywhere, the state of the art for touring rigs, both pedal boards and pedals in rack drawer/shelves is 3m Dual Lock. I discovered it lurking around Dave Friedmans shop in the 90's. It used to be hard to find and really expensive. Now its at Target, Ace Hardware, DoIT center Hardware, radio Shack and all over the web for about $4 foot. Cut into 1" squares and apply on the bottom of your pedals. About 8" per pedal for small boss size, and 12"-16" per for larger ones. Comes in clear and black, I prefer the clear as the adhesive is better imo and comes off easier when youre ready, the black has a foam doublestick tape type adhesive whereas the clear has a different clear sticky part. It holds significantly better than velcro, most medium and small boards you can use your volume or wah pedal to pick up and carry your board!

Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener :3M US
Thanks, it can be a problem at times. I have large two level board and I am not hauling it around these days. Being wood I had the ability to use tab screw downs I made from modifying cable screw downs which worked pretty well. I got tired of all the holes in my boards (which I learned to make, the size and shape I need for very little money). I've been using industrial Velcro for some time. How does the the 3M lock hold up in heat?? I will look for this next time I am at the store.
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylabfilmpop View Post
For anyone who hasn't gone down this road, a good buffer is key to keeping your tone happening, and your guitar feeling good and responsive under your fingers. Placement of the buffer is key, and should be either first in your chain or immediately after any germanium or silicon Fuzz or overdrives. JHS and Tonefreak make great buffers both designed by long time pedalboard maestro Dave Friedman, but I recently picked up LA Soundesign's Pedalboard interface which is a buffer, and I/O patch point for your pedalboard with a transformer isolated secondary or stereo out for ground loop free performance. It literally was like taking a blanket off my tone and has some cool features such as Vintage/Modern voicing. To my ear Buffers tend to "smiley face" your EQ, but this one keeps your midrange very strong, and is well worth it!

Nice unit. I wrote an article on bypass and buffered circuit pedals and the use of good buffer pedal. FYI
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/guita...ed-pedals.html
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear
In case you current or previous Whammy pedal users have not seen the new model 5 and 6 Whammy. It tracks better with less glitch and has a polyphonic switch for chords. The model 6 has that Morpheus detune thing as well. Also now true bypass on both new models.
If you have never tried the cool harmonizer modes on this unit, they have been one of my favorite effects for some time. Use a 4th or I like a 5th (up) or down to your taste. But bad ass harmonizer tone which does not require you to stay in a fixed key or scale like all other pitch shifter pedal and harmonizers. Put it in front of gains. Everytime I kicked that effect on heads turned, a mean ass fusion Jeff Beck thing that kills w amp gain or pedals.
A vastly overlooked feature of a pedal that got far too much of that weeeeoooooo thing that some really hate.
I had traded off my last one because the monophonic tracking got to me, the new ones are vastly improved.
Hint to you cats who like the octave shift thing, check out Gilmour use that puppy real slow in a solo moving his solo into high registers and back down, a thing of beauty.
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah, I'm blown away at how good it makes both my acoustic and electric sound. If you're going to get one compressor pedal, that's the one. Now, I want to pull the RAT off the board and get a Wampler OD pedal. Any idea on what you like there. I'm more of Marshall dirty sound kind of guy. Wampler seems to have a lot of choices there. LOL.

Thanks and rock on brother!!

Quote:
Killer pedal isn't it?
I have to say I hated compressors for a long time along w my apathy for noise gates. The "classic" compressors screwed w the sound so much the clamping and overt squeeze, messing up the attack dynamics. I had a couple Wampler pedals and I was just blown away by Brian's designs.
I never had such pedals that were so transparent and uncoloring to the tone of the guitar, and they just morphed with anything you chained them or stacked.
I heard the Ego Compressor on some sample demos and even those impressed me w what it was doing. I thought, man I could render some good things on this puppy. After about a week of learning how to set it up and use the blend/attack combination it became my fav pedal.
If I could just have one pedal it would be this one. Thickens, boosts, and sustains the tone on the guitar regardless of cleans or gains, I leave it on 85% of the time. The chords just sustain out, sounds very natural and transparent not like you have an effect on.

Brian's overdrives and high gains are a treat as well. Regardless of how much I modify and change my pedal chains, I never consider taking the Wampler Pedals off. Been some of the few things in the guitar realm which consistently exceeded my expectations. His delay pedal is one of only a few I have heard that can warble and feedback on itself just like a tape unit, and he has it slightly alter the modulation warble speed just like the old tapes used to do.
I never blink about choosing one of the Wampler Pedals, just one of the few lines I trust, probably even more than others.
Old 8th October 2012
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=Inca; Now, I want to pull the RAT off the board and get a Wampler OD pedal. Any idea on what you like there. I'm more of Marshall dirty sound kind of guy. Wampler seems to have a lot of choices there. LOL.

Thanks and rock on brother!![/QUOTE]

I would suggest their plexi drive or the new hotwired from wampler.
Their ecstasy is their own tube take on a tube screamer like circuit, but the thing about Brian wampler is that he doesn't screw around.
He doesn't just make a couple switches in the circuit to make it sound the way that he does.
He tries whatever it takes to get the sound he wants to hear inside of his head, and this far he has been successful.

If you wanna try something outside of wampler the brand new Lovepedal OD11 has blown me away in every demo I have heard. Check out proguitarshop and watch that demo !
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear
I use the Ecstasy/Euphoria Overdrive and it is anything but a TS circuit.
It has three different diode circuits into a primo chip, Extremely transparent to the tone as all Wampler Pedals are. I also have the Pinnacle Deluxe Distortion which is known as the "brown sound" VH in box, some use it and crank like EVH which I cannot do as I make no effort to play like Eddie, none the less a great Marshall JCM overdriven tone, I love the Ecstasy drive myself and consider it a great Strat drive. infinitely adjustable to all manner of gains and EQ.
I tend not to like 3 knob drives with a few minor exceptions, Boiling Point, Klon and a couple others. Many have stated they like Brian's Plexi overdrine 3 knobber the best of all.

Each of the Ecstasy modes is a completely different drive, rather than a TS sound the smooth setting is known for being a really good Dumble tone, more in the vein of a Zendrive or Zenkudp type voice, and I am syre Brian agrees as he has spoke of it and it is in the drive info. Open setting can go all the way clean boost w EQ to a nice moderate transparent drive, very nice. A great pedal, no matter what I trade off or try I will never drop off my Wampler pedals. I tend not to like really gainy drives but more tonal, a cleaner boost with a little hair and plenty of EQ range. Wampler brings that like few others.

And seriously my fav pedal of all time is the Wampler Ego Compressor, so much more than a cheesy dyna comp clone. It also thickens and sustains the tone like a wonderful sounding cleaner OD and also so transparent once you learn how to adjust the blend and attack. Love that pedal and I used to hate compressor pedals.

TEL users like the Paisley Drive althorugh either drive is adjustable for any guitar and Wampler does not overtly color your sound and they have this feature of morphing with anything else you stack them with or in a chain. Many say they like the Paisley the best over the Ecstasy but I love the latetr on my Strats. The Bret Mason Hot Wired just got redone w a V2 that is supposed to be major kick ass, that is an OD and Dist made to work together.

Basically Brian has the '57 Blackface OD which mimics Fender amp tones, either stand alone or stacks well after the Ecstasy or Paisley, same with the new Tweed OD, good alone or after the other two in s stack, recommended by Brian in that manner.
The higher gains just kill if you occasionally like a burn machine.
The Triple Wreck is extremely intense yet retains note articulation and the guitar is not washed out, it is an uber dist which uses a fuzz circuit as a boost on top which can render the most intense Gilmour fuzzed out but defined muff like tone.

Best to listen through the various demos as to what you are looking for.
I personally got tired of TS units a long time ago and tend to avoid ODs that merely copy that circuit.
Lovepedal makes some excellent pedals, the Kalamazoo I hear is really nice.
The Amp Eleven they say is a modified Timmy w a boost. Nice pedal.
There is a drive that will have the magic chemistry with your guitar/amp and touch, finding it can be a search.
The thing I like about Wampler is they have a very wide range of tone potential and gain levels definitely not one trick ponies.
There are about 4-5 lines of pedals I would not hesitate to buy, Wampler is probably the top on that list.
Do not forget about Xiotic, they make a series of great drives. Barber also very cool models. Personally the more something sounds like a TS OD the more I shy away from it. True a million other drives are modified off that basic circuit and that is fine as most of them are better than the original for my tastes.
Old 8th October 2012
Here for the gear

The wampler ecstasy is a TS "style" circuit. As well as 90% of all other overdrives our there. I am sure it's still a dual op amp setup with a negative feedback diode deal.
Not saying that in a bad way. But most overdrive pedals started as a TS circuit and took it different direction.
I am not saying its a tube screamer, but it is simply in the category. Jut like the Fulldrive, luther drive, eternity etc
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks guys!!

Yeah the Wampler stuff is amazing. After using the Ego Compressor, I'm blown away by the quality. The OD demos I hear are also amazing. The hard part is not wanting them all. LOL.

Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
The wampler ecstasy is a TS "style" circuit. As well as 90% of all other overdrives our there. I am sure it's still a dual op amp setup with a negative feedback diode deal.
Not saying that in a bad way. But most overdrive pedals started as a TS circuit and took it different direction.
I am not saying its a tube screamer, but it is simply in the category. Jut like the Fulldrive, luther drive, eternity etc

Wampler circuit, 3 diode config options into an op amp

The TS circuit.

Well, if we want to call everything a based on, modified, or clone of something, because it uses an op amp, diodes, resistors, or caps, I mean, WTF. Having used several TS circuits, this OD sounds nothing, not even remotely similar to a TS, one reason I like it.
Brian says it is an original circuit design.
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
Thanks guys!!

Yeah the Wampler stuff is amazing. After using the Ego Compressor, I'm blown away by the quality. The OD demos I hear are also amazing. The hard part is not wanting them all. LOL.

You and me both. First pedals I have ever got that exceeded my expectations that were so not one trick ponies or had a sweet spot use.
The range of tones and adjustments on a Wampler are quite something compared to most pedals. Plus I find they play well with others and morph with anything as if they were a part of of a whole. Extremely transparent to the true tone of the guitar, sometimes you have to look down at the LED as the tone is so natural and uncolored. The compressor just rules for guitar pedals. Be sure to read up on the settings of the blend, attack and sustain.

I hated compressors for many years and just stopped trying to use them. The Wampler just does wonders for your tone. It became my fav pedal. I swamp overdrives and pedals a lot but I can never justify pulling the Wampler pedals off my board. If I could have just one pedal, it would be the Ego Compressor as it ranges from a clean boost to blending your primary tone with a hint of compression.
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You and me both. First pedals I have ever got that exceeded my expectations that were so not one trick ponies or had a sweet spot use.
The range of tones and adjustments on a Wampler are quite something compared to most pedals. Plus I find they play well with others and morph with anything as if they were a part of of a whole. Extremely transparent to the true tone of the guitar, sometimes you have to look down at the LED as the tone is so natural and uncolored. The compressor just rules for guitar pedals. Be sure to read up on the settings of the blend, attack and sustain.

I hated compressors for many years and just stopped trying to use them. The Wampler just does wonders for your tone. It became my fav pedal. I swamp overdrives and pedals a lot but I can never justify pulling the Wampler pedals off my board. If I could have just one pedal, it would be the Ego Compressor as it ranges from a clean boost to blending your primary tone with a hint of compression.
I hear ya brother. The compressor is just sick. I love it so much, I have to have it on all of the time. LOL. I have an uplugged gig tonight and that thing through my new PA is insane. Makes my Martin acoustic just sing and sustain so nice. It does help we upgrade to an amazing new PA rig and the Allen and Heath mixer is pretty awesome too. LOL .
Old 13th October 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:

Wampler circuit, 3 diode config options into an op amp

The TS circuit.

Well, if we want to call everything a based on, modified, or clone of something, because it uses an op amp, diodes, resistors, or caps, I mean, WTF. Having used several TS circuits, this OD sounds nothing, not even remotely similar to a TS, one reason I like it.
Brian says it is an original circuit design.
Still a negative feedback diode configuration which according to everyone I talk to was Maxon/ibanez's thing, looks similar except for the Ibanez has a transistor buffer/switching circuits. The diodes are interchangeable on the wampler.
I would agree that all the " based on " circuits should be considered original still.
Around the stompbox forums I am told all my original designs are modified TS Circuits or DIST+ circuits.
Basically from what i understand those 2 pedals kinda helps build the foundation (or starting point) for most the pedals we like today. Basically unless the circuit is undoubtedly uncopied looking at the schematic, people around the forums will through around the "TS-like ness"

Plus Brian Wampler wrote a book on modifying these types of circuits, it seems like he knows the ins and puts of all these pedals and how to make pleasant modifications to their circuitry.
I have his book, very cool stuff in there.
Old 13th October 2012
Here for the gear

Is that picture a ts808 or a ts9?
Old 13th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Still a negative feedback diode configuration which according to everyone I talk to was Maxon/ibanez's thing, looks similar except for the Ibanez has a transistor buffer/switching circuits. The diodes are interchangeable on the wampler.
I would agree that all the " based on " circuits should be considered original still.
Around the stompbox forums I am told all my original designs are modified TS Circuits or DIST+ circuits.
Basically from what i understand those 2 pedals kinda helps build the foundation (or starting point) for most the pedals we like today. Basically unless the circuit is undoubtedly uncopied looking at the schematic, people around the forums will through around the "TS-like ness"

Plus Brian Wampler wrote a book on modifying these types of circuits, it seems like he knows the ins and puts of all these pedals and how to make pleasant modifications to their circuitry.
I have his book, very cool stuff in there.

Brian's a genius tech in my book. He claims his designs are original. One starts with basic electronic theory of how things work and goes from there. I cannot believe everyone consciously sits down with a basic TS circuit and begins to alter it. Some may indeed but it seems those pedals are easy to pick out, nothing wrong with that as most I think ended up better than the Ibanez.

Yeah, when it gets down to it you have a diode op amp circuit and a JFET type and various thereof. To me it is like saying "all amplifiers are based upon the general first amplifier circuit" sort of like "all cars are related as cars".
To some extent generically true, yet the reality between a KIA and a Lamborghini is somewhat way beyond "modified". OR perhaps based upon a model T.

The differences are profound in tonality. Brian's designs are some of the most unique I have ever played through. The Ecstasy/Euphoria sounds nothing like the Tube Screamer and I have had several variations of this pedal, the same with his outstanding compressor some try to claim is "based upon" the dyna-comp which is a pedal I never liked and some of the classics which made me stop using them for years. Brian claims when he designed the Ecstasy OD he was going for the sound of the Dumble amp and he added a total of 3 different diode configs for versatility. "Smooth" is the Dumble mimic, which compares to a Zendrive or a Zenkudo. The Crunch mode is more gainy but not near the level of gain of a dist or fuzz. Open is transparent more like from a clean boost to adding some hair. The bass injects before the drive and increases the gain dist so you can get the marvelous thick low end drive without mud. The TS has limitations and the mid range hump. It's OK but they have come and gone on my board. Last one I had was the Visual Sound Overdrive which is really good in the TS vein.

I do not know how he does it but his circuits are so transparent to the tone of the guitar, an outstanding line of pedals which I find rather unlike most others. The cats who say everything is everything hardly makes for the issue that all pedals sound differently. There are many overdrives which indeed sound like minor alterations to the TS circuit, many others do not. Open up the back of Wampler's SLO distortion and ponder what that is "based" on. I have never seen anything like it. A box full of tech.

Nothing wrong w the TS circuit sound, it is what started the overdrive craze. I do think any number of them are better than the original.
Old 14th October 2012
Here for the gear

The cool thing about Brian's amp-based circuits, like the tweed, black 65, SLO, and triple-wreck, is that he is simply starts with the original amps preamp schematic and uses transistors in place of the tubes (I think he uses the jfet-tube replacement configuration) I am sure he has to change some other parts to keep the sound true to the original. But that's what make Brian's designs original, is his attention to detail behind the tone.
I have heard many times that the EGO compressor is dyna-comp based, BUT why sucked about the original is the overly squashed thing wasnt for everybody. What makes it original is its completely other circuitry that uses a clean blend in parallel along with the squashed signal.
I am sure Brian's designs are all originals. Nobody would call them copies or modified circuits. But the bottom line is with analog circuitry, it's hard to get an opamp overdrive that can compete against a tube screamer without being arguably similar in some sense. Same goes for compressors. The Keeley compressor 2 and 4 knobs originated from a dyna comp design. So did the visual sound and diamond compressor circuits.
It's not like they are ripping off designs, but its hard to make a analog device something 100% different.
Sometimes 2 component changes can make something sound like a whole different pedal, yet sometimes 12 component changes yields a result disappointingly similar to the original, it's all about making adjustments where the adjustments need to be made.
Car engines in theory all work the same general way, it's the small details and almost unnoticeable changes that seem to yield the most drastic results.

I love Brian's pedals. I also love that he has put YouTube videos up to educate people on how pedals work internally and how he designs the circuitry.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search