The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwaldvogel View Post
Darkhorse I am so sad to hear your using a line 6 now.
If I were to use a pod for anything it would be purely for can simulation..... But I can't bring myself to do it.....
I feel like I lost a soldier to the enemy
Hahaha
It's cool if you like it. I think that digital distortions sound SOOOO fake, even the axe fx and other digital amps. Nothin like a well designed analog pedal going into an American tube clean sound cranked to the edge of breakup. I am totally falling in love with the visual sound open road. Fricken fantastic
Yeah I have the HD500, I like the amp models, interesting to mess with. I find the wahs, EQs, most modulations, delays and reverbs to be fine. Overdrives and Distortion models, naaa, do not use them, way too buzzy and I never liked the basic pedals on most of them anyway. A couple of the boost pedals have merit but most of the front preamp type effects I do not use. The Pitch Glide (Whammy) works quite well. I have a fair amount of high end boutique pedals I use for overdrive or gains from a pedal if I am in the mood. Some really great uber gain tones can be tweaked up from the unit using an OD to goose and tighten them up and the response is quite amp like. There is something to be said of the smaller amps and cleaner Fender's I get good tones on them and they sound just like other amps I have had. Some idiot punching up a preset by someone else or a factory crappola and judges the unit based on that canned tone without regard to tweaking to ones guitar or amp rig is just not dealing with any sense one should listen to them. Been my experience a well experienced player with some technical skill can make anything sound decent while a poor player can make a good piece of gear sound like crap. The modeler tech is improving by leaps and bounds and one has to learn the ins and outs of the unit to get it to sound to its full potential. Judging by 90% of the user uploaded presets, few have a clue, how that might be done. Much less the fundamental error that one preset cannot sound great on every rig or guitar much less the hands of the player. Hard to imagine but there are some real first class idiots out there who play guitar.

I still have my tube stack rig, it is not going anywhere. Just nice to have a change of pace and tones now and then.

The HD works pretty good once you learn how to use it, it is not a dufus plug and play unit or to attempt getting a Bogner of ENGL tone out of a crappy little shoebox amp. First thing I did was erase all the factory presets which is pretty cool it lets you have the slots. Those using the POD to try and sound like some tune, band or hero, are just not on the same channel as myself. I make my own presets and tweak the hell out of them. If you heard my amp models you would not be so quick to laugh them off. At some point tubes will fade away as they become too hard to obtain and too rare. Technology continues to develop and at some point it will sound as good if it does not now already get close. An expensive 5K Fractal or Eleven rig surely must be better than my little $500 HD500. I am sure I could get some good tones out of it. There is a whole lot of myth and hype in the lore of amps and whatnot, having had and used a lot of amps considered grail these days, I never thought they were all that when I had them. I know many love the low watt amps, they can have them. Not my sense of tone. I was just watching some recent live performances by Jeff Beck as he used a couple of the legendary little small watt, small speaker amps verses his normal half stacks. If you listen to the tone on the Clapton Guitar Festival and then recently on SNL using 2 Marshall half stacks, it represents why I do not care for little amps. The interesting thing about the POD is that you can use one of the smaller amps and carry the tone further out without just running out of watts or having the little speaker tub out. Pretty cool actually.

The HD POD has its good points. I cannot say I will never return to using tube amps as I have a really great one. But it is nice to be able to mess with a lot of experimental things with the POD HD. Just FYI I do not use any of the compressor/boost/distortion models just do not like them and I have better pedals. A few I really like run into the POD which mainly offers some amp experiments to mess with and decent reverb. delays. I find those who hate the unit really have not used it to its full potential or they pipe it into a crap amp or mono it into a guitar amp. Not my thing. I built a special rig for it and it kills. Works for me for a change of pace. I think it helps to know what you are doing.

Nothing wrong with Visual Sound, they are not true bypass pedals but their buffer circuits I think are much better than little Boss. I had that Route 66 pedal and it was very good sounding. I liked it. Had the Jekyll&Hyde but was not my cup of tea with the OD after the high gain. Did not try the open road but I think it might be better that the std OD. Some do some mods on them which are pretty interesting. Their liquid chorus was a good sounding chorus.
Old 23rd June 2012
Old 24th June 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantraSky View Post
Very nice! What's between the wah and the Phase 90? hard to make out in the photo.

Love the Tom Anderson strat.
Old 24th June 2012
Lives for gear

Old 2nd July 2012
Here for the gear

The guitarist controls an extremely versatile instrument. By using techniques such as bending and vibrato, the guitarist can make the guitar express a near vocal quality.

While with an ensemble, a guitarist can take the role of rhythm (playing with bass in the ensemble) or lead (playing on top of the bass in the ensemble) guitar.

A guitarist can also play along with a harmonica as a second instrument. Examples include Bob Dylan and Neil Young.[1] Other instruments can be played successfully by a guitarist, i.e.; hi-hat cymbals, organ pedals, bass drum, nose harp, etc. Many guitarists also can sing or whistle. Some guitarists are also adept at other instruments, such as the piano, hammer dulcimer, tuba, xylophone and tympani.
Old 6th July 2012
Here for the gear

Finally getting mine back up to speed. Best things ever discovered for me is the ability to DIY loopers/cable, and tiered pedalboard, and bicycle chain fasteners instead of velcro
Old 6th July 2012
Here for the gear

The BBE sonic stomp is hidden under the board and left on
Old 7th July 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
The BBE sonic stomp is hidden under the board and left on
I so dig the BBE units. I have now, my 3rd one on my POD rig. Every time I A/B test that puppy on any rig I have going, the response from other players has always been, "I am going out and get one of those today." I love how it tightens the bass and overall clarity and presence. I think the trick is to keep the levels about 12:00 as this is not really an effect but a phase correction device. Having mine last stage before the power amp really does compare with taking a blanket off the cabinet. Some GS recording guys hate this unit while one sees it in pro studios. I've been playing a few decades and I just love the thing. For a mere $100 it is seriously the best buy in a pedal I have ever experienced.

Recent rig modifications, and the wires off the mounted holder have been cleaned up. BBE 382i right above the power amp.

PS:Tim, do note the external overdrive, compressor and higher gain units, not using the ones in the POD which are just too bassy & buzzy for me. You mentioned you hated the digital gains. I do not think it is so much the "digital" but rather they just modeled pedals I never liked to begin with. How one models a source is also problematic to what sort of tone and curve trace one is trying to mimic. I take it they did not have much idea on how to set up some of the boxes or they did more of a knobs on 12:00 match. The up front pedals respond against the amp models like a tube amp does, quite pleased w the results.

Old 9th July 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
PS:Tim, do note the external overdrive, compressor and higher gain units, not using the ones in the POD which are just too bassy & buzzy for me. You mentioned you hated the digital gains. I do not think it is so much the "digital" but rather they just modeled pedals I never liked to begin with. How one models a source is also problematic to what sort of tone and curve trace one is trying to mimic. I take it they did not have much idea on how to set up some of the boxes or they did more of a knobs on 12:00 match. The up front pedals respond against the amp models like a tube amp does, quite pleased w the results.
I am glad you have the external overdrives. I was worried that you had gone 100% into the dark side of the force Lol.

I would totally use the POD HD stuff in a direct studio setting where the guitar player didn't own a nice amp and cab. But I think I wouldn't use one live cause I am a total and complete tube snob lol

I bias my own amps and love experimenting with new Tubes. I love the DIY aspect of guitar and pedals completely. So I often have a very biased opinion of digital stuff. I started in the digital realm, and worked hard to get a couple nice and loud tube amps, so I don't wanna replace it in any situation. There are 2 guys at my church who refuse to start playing direct, and I am one of them lol
Old 10th July 2012
Here for the gear

Here is my board. Got rid of the big muff pi cause I just wasn't using it. Traded in the EH toy delay for an aqua puss and love it. Much warmer vintage tone. I have been getting a weird issue with my phase 90 though. When I turn it on the volume on my sound goes from a 6 to a 10. Insane jump that I just don't want. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Old 13th July 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
I am glad you have the external overdrives. I was worried that you had gone 100% into the dark side of the force Lol.

I would totally use the POD HD stuff in a direct studio setting where the guitar player didn't own a nice amp and cab. But I think I wouldn't use one live cause I am a total and complete tube snob lol

I bias my own amps and love experimenting with new Tubes. I love the DIY aspect of guitar and pedals completely. So I often have a very biased opinion of digital stuff. I started in the digital realm, and worked hard to get a couple nice and loud tube amps, so I don't wanna replace it in any situation. There are 2 guys at my church who refuse to start playing direct, and I am one of them lol
Church thing, really, I guess it gives you a place to play and all. Not sure how the music I like to play would be tolerated in that scene. The whole package sort of leaves me pale. I was a former published author among other things, and sometimes I guess you can learn too much or perhaps remove the sense of myth and lore many things sustain upon. Anywho, one does what one enjoys.

I love my tube half stack and all but being able to mess w stereo imaging and panning has been a real goof. I like the POD so far and one can get some killer tones out of it, w the volume and punch I get I would not worry about using it live if I were still doing the band thing. Sometimes it sounds so good I do not miss my amp head. It's different to be sure but after having really learned and studied the new HD PODs for some months there are some good tones in there. I go for the more modulation and time based effects and a few of the models and the unit offers a lot of path and chain flow options that one just could do not do using pedals so it is a real experimental type unit, would for sure have its uses in a studio. I was using its direct/stereo out but lately have gone to the stack power amp out which removes the mic models out of the chain. The mics really, really alter the final tones, I never realized that mics could drastically effect the sound that much. Not having been that involved in recording I can see where the whole thing can be quite frustrating and really, really costly.

I would have to come up w a second amp if I dropped the POD and redo quite a few pedals again, so it is a money thing really at this point in time. I was dropping like $200 for a set of decent tubes and having a 2nd amp just adds to that drain. Having a bunch of amps or a lot of guitars just makes for too much expense having them all in working order w good tubes and strings. I used to have about 10 guitars, these days I do not have 10 sets of strings in my supply and no stock of tubes. The POD has allowed me to play hassle free without worrying about tubes and the sounds have been pretty cool. Tubes are just the thing. Despite the prevalent notion of little watt amps and clipped out smaller amps which is not my thing. A smaller amp being driven out might be a cool blues sort of thing but I like my rig to be very versatile and there is a whole lot to be said for even clean tubes and what they do to tone. Tubes are not all about distortion. I am sure in time I will rig up my tube head again but I would like to have a second amp preferably a matching one. Dropping $400 for 2 sets of tubes is not something I want to discuss with my wife these days. I try to get the better sets of tubes so hopefully they last for some time. Uber gaining your amp all the time takes its toll.
I have always told players that using pedals into tubes on a clean based tone make them sound better and more organic.

Loved real tubes ever since I got my first real tube amp but got to have the half stack for my uses. The POD is a mimic device and yet they have done a surprisingly good job curving and modeling some of the amps. There are a few issues I have with it but there are a few issues I have with anything. I feel some of the guitar cabs are not great because they sometimes modeled an undampened, bass woofing, out of control resonating hollow box w speakers, not a sound I like or consider engineered. Although the advantage of the POD is having some sense of control and ability to modify the sound of the cab, the ability to control the power amp features is also something that sets the POD mimics apart.

I do not give a crap what some call classic or whatever or the notion that nothing good has developed in making guitar amps since the 50s or 60s. The POD makes me laugh at times as they have modeled in the ability to induce electrical hum and weirdness into the amp model if you like to have the noise floor and artifacts the old amps had.

Not sure my wife is willing to over look my gear addiction issues while she looks over shoes and purse websites like I do guitar gear.
Old 13th July 2012
Here for the gear

I just got this in a trade yesterday, sounds amazing !
Old 15th July 2012
Gear Maniac
Man.. I've had pedals over the years and suddenly got an urge to buy back, bought a Big Muff back and am on my way to having another board... gonna keep checking this thread out, and gonna post my progress

Any thoughts? Here's my 'planned' board

Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Maxon OD9
Morley Little Alligator
MXR Dyna Comp
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH1

I looked at the Electric Mistress as I like the concept of it. Although I'm a delay Junkie, I love plug-in delays like the Massey TD-5 too much to have one on a board... Any tips or suggestions on the above would be gladly accepted!
Old 17th July 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
I just got this in a trade yesterday, sounds amazing !
I've been curious on these 3 pickup LP types, does the 3 way just switch between each pickup? I would miss that middle woody tone I just love on the LP 2 pickup. Just wondered how they have it wired. Be nice to have just 3 switches on/off for each pickup I have always wondered why that never became the option on the Strat, would make all combinations so easy.

Epihone makes a nice guitar I would much sooner go for one of their LPs over so much for a real deal LP Gibson, they are just outrageously priced these days.
2-3-4K for a guitar or more, just too much.
Old 17th July 2012
Here for the gear

The typical wiring scheme is middle pickup on all the Time. So bridge/mid, all 3, and neck/middle all positions are in parallel.
However mine has a push/pull to bypass the middle pickup for typical 2 humbucker les Paul spunds
Old 20th July 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
The typical wiring scheme is middle pickup on all the Time. So bridge/mid, all 3, and neck/middle all positions are in parallel.
However mine has a push/pull to bypass the middle pickup for typical 2 humbucker les Paul spunds
Very cool indeed. That push pull option makes all the difference. Must be some really unique tones one can get w those, all the best of the LP plus a lot beyond the ability of a std LP. Now you make me want to add to the outrageous LP cost. I would love to have a LP but man the cost of a Gibson is crazy. Epiphone is probably the way to go.
I dig my Carvin custom jobs but so far they do not do a 3 pickup, I'll bet they would make me one if I asked. They are pretty cool.
Old 20th July 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Very nice! What's between the wah and the Phase 90? hard to make out in the photo.

Seems to be the Soldano's footswitch
Old 20th July 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sino View Post
Seems to be the Soldano's footswitch
Sorry, should have said between the wah and the footswitch.
Old 20th July 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Sorry, should have said between the wah and the footswitch.
Been wondering that myself, some sort of 2 channel dual pedal OD no doubt.
Old 22nd July 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Been wondering that myself, some sort of 2 channel dual pedal OD no doubt.
Analogman has a purple dual drive/gain pedal but the middle knob is smaller than the other two, cannot tell by the picture. Be nice if some would respond, or how about a little info about your board, some of us find that interesting when we cannot make out the picture.
Old 22nd July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

That does look like a KOT by analogman
Old 25th July 2012
Here for the gear

Here's mine. The Mini Bone is gone now because I stupidly sold it.

Old 25th July 2012
Lives for gear
Liking that Timmy. One of those I have wanted for some time. Either like that or one of the JHS KLON boxes is the top of my exotic list.
I heard once that the AMP ELEVEN by Sean of LOVEPEDAL was a Timmy copy with a boost, anyone know if that is true? Sure would make getting a Tim circuit easier for me.
Old 25th July 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
I heard once that the AMP ELEVEN by Sean of LOVEPEDAL was a Timmy copy with a boost, anyone know if that is true? Sure would make getting a Tim circuit easier for me.
Yeah. He did kind of rip off the Timmy to make the Amp Eleven. I would just get a Tim though. The wait time is short now and the dealers are getting batches all the time. They are only $169. Plus Paul is a great guy.
Old 26th July 2012
Lives for gear

I'm primarily a bass player, so here's the assortment of stomp-o-stuff I've been using for bass lately:

Old 30th July 2012
Lives for gear

Old 2nd August 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpkr76 View Post
Yeah. He did kind of rip off the Timmy to make the Amp Eleven. I would just get a Tim though. The wait time is short now and the dealers are getting batches all the time. They are only $169. Plus Paul is a great guy.
Cool I will look around for them.
Old 2nd August 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo69 View Post
Nice array of tone options happening there.
Could you guys please just toss a brief list, I cannot always figure out what some pedal are. How is that Analogman dual drive?
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Old 3rd August 2012
Here for the gear

Attachment 303505

Boss chromatic tuner
Boss compression sustainer cs-3
Electro harmonix ring thing
Electro harmonix neo clone
Boss phase shifter ph-3
Electro harmonix stereo memory man
Mxr carbon copy analog delay
Electro harmonix freeze
Electro harmonix holy stain
Cry baby gcb-95

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search