The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

Great stuff here!
Old 17th April 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Say what do you think of that Amp Eleven Lovepedal, I was really wanting one of those but they are hard to find. I head the OD is a Timmy mod.
Love the Amp Eleven, really good for mild OD lead tones. Very convincing sound. For rhythm stuff I really like the Visual Sound Open Road, very underrated pedal, probably because of its appearance. I gave it to my old man for a lend and never got it back! Great OD.
Old 17th April 2012
I never bother with pedal boards, I just throw them on the floor. I usually use 1 or 2 fuzzes and a wah pedal.

On the left is an original 1974 MXR phase 90 with low noise/low power LT1351 opamps installed. The purple fuzz is my design using a Burrbrown OPA1641 fet opamp, discrete jfets and and 3 way switch selecting silicon, germanium or asymetrical germanium diode configurations. Fuzz, tone, volume are the layouts.

The green one is a Sola/Colorsound 3 knob germanium, very 1960's. The unpainted is a Fuzz Face. The red one is a Foxx Tone Machine with the best octave split ever. The orange one is a Meyer Octavia, nice and trashy.

The left wah is my custom "Space Baby". It's a 2 pole 12db/octave sweep filter with a 5 octave sweep, hi, low, band and all pass switches and a Q control with a 2 octave to 1/30th octave bandwidth, a real 'talker'.

The other wah is a modified Cry Baby with a yellow Fasel inductor, low noise transistors, Wima poly film filter caps and a 'Q' trim insides. It's more "wow wow" than wah wah.

Yes, there's my rosewood Tele and Les Paul in the background.

Rather than buy overpriced 'botique' pedals I just built my own. Schematics of the classics are available on-line. A few parts, a piece of breadboard and a cheapo 6 buck box and there you go. I once had an original Fuzz Face in 1968, and Foxx was down the road and a friend that worked there in 1973 gave me a red Foxx fuzz-wah, that's why I built the Foxx Tone machine and Fuzz Face, I missed them.

I used 3PDT footswitches to fire an 'on' LED. The purple has a purple LED, red is red, orange = orange, etc. They are super brite LED's, easily seen in sunlight and they light up a dark stage, can't miss them.
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear
Nice stuff Jim!
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Back in my younger days I was in experimental/progressive/rock bands etc. I used tons of pedals and eventually gave them all up for a TC G-Major rack controlled by an FCB1010.

Then I got more and more into Blues, Soul, Funk etc. I ended up gigging this type of music on a weekly basis and ditched ALL effects. I upgraded my Amp to an Orange Dual Terror - gave it a full Cryogenic Harma re-valve, invested in good quality cables and bought a PRS 25TH Anniversary Swamp Ash Special. This helped me appreciate the importance of tone and sound quality over effects.

Now - I've started to slowly ease back into adding a little flavour. I recently bought all of these pretty much in one go. As you can see, its light on actual effects. It's mostly to just improve on the tone I already have going.

Gator powered G-Bone board. Boss Volume Pedal, TC Mini-Polytuner, Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Nano Reverb, Keeley 4-Knob Compressor, CAE 404 Wah.

I can't see me adding to this much. I have been considering a good quality chorus pedal - perhaps something like the Analogman Bi-Chorus or the Retrosonic Chorus.

I also really want to invest in Lava Cables for the board.

By the way - loving some of the pedalboards here so far!
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for gear

Lost my Dunlop Crybaby lately, which was very sad. Recently built my Ring Modulator though, so I will have to post pictures of my current rig soon!
Old 23rd April 2012
Here for the gear

I wish...

I don't have a pedalboard yet :( I really want one, and looking at all of these pictures is making me think about just biting the bullet and going for it. My buddy just posted his review of his new pedalboard yesterday on Squidoo: Pedaltrain Pedalboards, which already had me jealous, and then I came upon this thread... Ugghh. I need money... and pedals!
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear
You can go too far, most of us get to that point eventually.
You can make your own board for like $25 including paint. I could never find one big enough for me until I started making my own. Easy to do and low bucks.

Some boards get way too crowded and busy, one wonders how they use them. If I cannot get my feet into the switches it does not work for me. I tend to like long narrow boards in a chain to be able to use the pedals better and easy tweaking. You have to start paying attention to power supplies, cables and proper but not excessive buffering and bypass chains. I always liked how Satriani and Vai used larger chained effect boards.

Most of us start w basic format pedals and work to upgrade them as it goes. Trying to get everything can really be a tail chasing experience.

Good OD, delay, reverb, modulation, perhaps a filter pedal (wah,etc)
Having a good amp is primary and a well set up toneful guitar. Many confuse the use of pedals with poor playing or not having good tone. It is more about options and inspiration. I experienced that today, had this happening killer uber heavy tone going and no where to go. A nice effect can put a tone just over the top and when playing live proper and infrequent use of some effects can make the audience wake up.
Old 28th April 2012
Here for the gear

I'm almost finished with this board. I just have to cut some Pedal Power Cables to length, decide how I want to hook up the wah, make a few pedal risers and mount them with the pedals and put on some cable ties and mounts to clean up all the cable. My guitar sounds exactly the same plugged straight into the amp as it does running to this board and I can get all the sounds and tones I need
Old 1st May 2012
Here for the gear

Just Finished the one last night. Still not sure of the placement of everything, but a good work in progress.

Old 4th May 2012
Here for the gear

Hope I'm not too late to join the pedal party here. And please don?t make fun of my woodworking skills - they don?t affect the sound, dude!

Analogman Comprossor - Whammy IV (which I just sold) - modded MicroPOG - Vox Wah - DOD envelope filter - Marshall Shredmaster - MI Audio NeoFuzz - Analogman modded TS-9 - FoxRox AquaVibe - CMAT Mods Black Plague - Boss Tremolo - TRex Replica - Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster.

Power supply is a Supa Charger and a couple of other random ones.
Old 4th May 2012
Here for the gear

Perverse Engineer

I installed an IR controller for sequenced LED's. You can see it from fan view at:P.O.S. at R.S.R. 4-21-12.mpg - YouTube
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perverse Enginee View Post
I installed an IR controller for sequenced LED's. You can see it from fan view at:P.O.S. at R.S.R. 4-21-12.mpg - YouTube
Too cool. The guys used to love all the LED's on my board in a dark room, they would trip out on that one.

Dude above, nothing wrong with wood, I have made like 5 boards now with figured birch ply on tilt, after the 1st one I went for the flat black paint which just looks a lot better and Velco sticks the same. FYI, do not try spray paint and let it dry really good. Saves you a fortune as I never could find boards big enough for my previous pedal board chains. The last one had two levels one for amp loop chain and lower for amp in.

Now I am messing with just 3 pedals in front of a new POD HD500 into a new power amp rig and it has been a lot of fun messing with something new. Still got my previous rig and amp stack, just like changing gears and a different tone potential now and then, my thoughts were to stop dropping bundles on replacing my pedals every 6 months. So far been working out well. Haven't got the crappy camera out lately to shoot the new POD board, I think I need to do that to show the new rig and how good you can actually rig these units.
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

Great stuff!
Old 6th May 2012
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikdrink View Post
Great stuff!
indeed, i love seeing all the cool pics post on this thread: )
gives me more ideas on how to spend my limited income: O~
mo money!
Old 6th May 2012
Gear Head

Mooger-Collider

One of many modular set-ups used for a recording session.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
indeed, i love seeing all the cool pics post on this thread: )
gives me more ideas on how to spend my limited income: O~
mo money!
Just to FYI what helped me so much over the last couple of years of pedal addiction was the zZounds.com 4 payment plan, no interest, no qual, no credit check, pretty cool for us no budget economy crushed players. AMS has the same plan but a 3 payment deal. They just draft your credit or bank card same day each month for a divided payment. Sweet deal. The selection is not as vast as Muscian's Friend or exotic as PGS but quite a bit of choices there including Wampler and T-Rex level as well as Eventide and some good gear. Of course a lot of lower end common Boss and such but so nice to get a decent piece of gear without having to try and save up, which never seems to work.

I have a large board of like 12 effects in 2 chains, loop and amp in, buffered and isolated power supplies. Could not have managed it without zZounds. Recently I built a rig for the new POD HD500 which is just so killer I have been lost in mad scientist land for 2 months. Run that puppy into a proper power amp L/R and I use a split wired 4x12, just kills in tone on cleans and uber gains. I covered my half stack head for a period to mess with the POD and despite there is a long learning curve on this unit it bloody cranks if you pipe it into the right rig. Not a box for a little guitar amp. I dig it.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

New POD board:
Radial PB-1 buffer/class A clean boost
EH Micro POG
Wampler Ego Compressor
Fulltone DejaVibe
POD HD500
Just a few pedals I could not do without from my prior board, all react well with the POD internals. The compressor and vibe are just way better than the internal options. PB1 is a load lift buffer and the clean boost set moderate to overdrive/boost amp models, works surprisingly well. I had no luck workingw the POD effects loop, I just gave up and use a few internals. Dropped my high gain pedals and just use the internal uber amp models for high gain colors. (Split out feed on the Vibe out feeds the std "guitar" and "aux" in on the POD, less noise and less digital clipping over the "same" setting most use. There is an art in setting the presets up keeping the digital noise floor down.)

That's my trusty Furman Power Conditioner in the middle there for all master power feeds.*

ART SLA-1 power amp (100 watt 2 channel)
BBE i382 sonic maximizer line level 2 channel
Carvin 4x12 split wired, Celestion vintage 30 load, (modified cab w internal damping material to eliminate hollow cab woofing and standing wave phase effect.)
POD sounds great through this rig, wattage, power, punch and sounds like the real amps, better in some cases. Imagine dual tuned DualRecs, Marshalls, ENGLs, or Bogners w proper EQ. Just kills. Cleans are amazing as well. The Compressor and PB1 can overdrive the amp models without creating digital clipping.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear
looks great!
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear
Thanks. My newest rig config. I am just digging the new HD POD, took me like 2-3 months to master the programming and rethink my old methods of using pedals (very different). Believe me this rig is thunderous, the uber gain models are so good I have not messed with my tube head half stack in a month.
I just made a cool AC30 preset today which mimics Pagey's Tea For One tone on my rig. I had to stop playing after a couple hours of blues man that puppy has tone. I cannot really decide which I like better among the 4 main uber amp models they all have their tone. I dig the new PODs a great unit for the bucks but if you are just planning to pipe it into a little guitar amp or you hate reading manuals and tweaking not your cup of tea for sure.
But for me, Tea For One please...
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear
Huh... always thought Tea For One was a Les Paul neck through a marshall - sounds way too thick to be an AC30. Then again, he used Supros, Hiwatts, Orange, Marshalls; I guess there could have been the odd AC30 in there.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear
Actually, I was just watching Jimmy play it live on an AC30. It is not distorted really, and the AC30 does a nice job, breaks up just right when you hit it with a little front end.

I can rig any of those amp tones. Just liked the AC30 tone the best for that tune. Normally I would go for the Fender's for Blues but the AC30 was fun to mess with.

I have an LP type guitar but I prefer Strats and my 9 option Strat has the ability to mix the neck and bridge (HB or split coil) to get that woody sound on the mid of an LP. By the way the majority of Presence was actually done on the Tobacco TEL with the White/Parson's B string bender. The opening of Tea For One is the LP on mid position and live he used the LP. Pretty good rendering of the tune on Youtube if it is still there. Interesting how he chose various guitar parts to do the tune live. I just love the tones on that album, my fav song Achilles Last Stand, Jimmy used to say he felt that was some of his best playing on the album.

I am not much of a tune mimic or a copy artist to me music is the creation of spontaneous improvisation I just go for a killer tone.

As most know if you picked up the artists guitar and rig really does not mean you are going to sound like them, it is more technique and fingers. Jimmy was one of the primary guitarist's that inspired me to play so I tend to have picked up a lot from his style. I adapted that cool White bender tone on my string bends as a part of my technique sounds like it but done with the fingers.

The POD has a Supro but I am not so thrilled with that amp, the 6x9 speaker and low wattage is not my thing really, tends to crap out too much for me and not in a particularly good way. I've been working on one but haven't quote got the breakup dist character to where I like it. I like most of the amps on the POD but the little wattage ones are not really my tastes. Seems to be all the marketing range these days. Taking the wattage out of the amp is not anything I ever cared to do. Wattage has a purpose and it is not about volume. The cool thing about the POD is that you can adjust the tone of the little amps beyond what the real amp can actually handle or do as one is providing wattage externally. I just find smaller speakers lack frequency range and inability to produce low notes without crapping out. I will have to try improving the speaker cab choice on the POD for the amp, maybe that will help or perhaps no speaker at all, so many options on the POD to mess with, things you cannot do on a real rig.

I prefer at least a twin with at least 30 watts, preferably 50 min. I am not one of those who goes for all the little wattage single speaker amp. Recording guys like them I guess but just not my thing.
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Darkhorse is right! Or to be more apt: the idea of Jimmy Page doing those records with a Les Paul into a Marshall Stack is wrong. He used alot of Fender guitars and amps, plenty of AC30 action too. His gear and his background was ,after all, British blues.

If I remember rightly, Stairway To Heaven was done on a strat!
Old 8th May 2012
Gear Maniac

Hey guys, great thread! Loving the boards!
im just putting together a new live rig. I have way too many pedals in it to be on a board, it will take up too much stage space and things will start getting trashed..``so i'm looking into putting them all in a rack (something i thought i would't end up doing)

Has ANYONE seen ANYONE using an SSL X PATCH in a live guitar rig? I have searched and i can't find anyone.
One of the reasons for me wanting to use it is that you can connect 16 devices to it (roughly the amount i want) whereas most loops only give you around 8 loops.

I looked into a gigrig - they look awesome. But what i would really love is to be able to have a separate preset page on a midi controller for each song so i can have literally any combo of fx at any time. Plus with the ssl i could edit it all on my mac (im not the best with midi)

Cheers guys!
Old 9th May 2012
Pedal board update: this is how it's lookin pre cabling.
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Noise View Post
Darkhorse is right! Or to be more apt: the idea of Jimmy Page doing those records with a Les Paul into a Marshall Stack is wrong. He used alot of Fender guitars and amps, plenty of AC30 action too. His gear and his background was ,after all, British blues.

If I remember rightly, Stairway To Heaven was done on a strat!
No doubt. Jimmy grew his wings on a TEL the series wired job he used with the Yardbirds and later on the Tobacco TEL that was all over Presence. For sure a Strat w whammy bar on In The Evening, and For Your Life. Often a Marshall was used with a 4x12 and Pagey often commented he though the chemistry of the Les Paul and Marshall was ideal and had something special to it. Equipment was constantly changing and live rigs constantly altered to attempt to hint at the tones.

I sort of dig the AC30 but anything smaller than that or a single speaker is just not my thing. Recording is an illusion and one gets away with a lot of terrible device in getting tracks on tape manipulating the sound. Seems like everyone has their thing and we all tend to get locked into a way of thinking and methodology.

Good to break out of the box not and then and visit a different scheme. That is what the POD did for me. Can't say it will sustain as my main rig, it might for some time. But the half tube stack 100/50 watt head has always been my weapon of choice and I know that rig well. Plus in more decades than needed I have built a sufficient level of using pedals and chains to get anything I could imagine playing out of them.

My issues against little watt and little speaker amps is basically a matter of sonic physics and frequency limitations. Sure you can get a recording illusion using them as if they are bigger and more massive than reality but there is also a means to use a better live tone and capture it. I am live tone player and I am used to having enough power and push to come over top a massive drummer and wattage bassist. Of course by myself things are turned down but it is all about tone and for me wattage and speaker area matter to the depth, range, and power of the tones.
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
Hey guys, great thread! Loving the boards!
im just putting together a new live rig. I have way too many pedals in it to be on a board, it will take up too much stage space and things will start getting trashed..``so i'm looking into putting them all in a rack (something i thought i would't end up doing)

Has ANYONE seen ANYONE using an SSL X PATCH in a live guitar rig? I have searched and i can't find anyone.
One of the reasons for me wanting to use it is that you can connect 16 devices to it (roughly the amount i want) whereas most loops only give you around 8 loops.

I looked into a gigrig - they look awesome. But what i would really love is to be able to have a separate preset page on a midi controller for each song so i can have literally any combo of fx at any time. Plus with the ssl i could edit it all on my mac (im not the best with midi)

Cheers guys!
Midi rigs are sort of above my realm of usage but I have heard good things about that Voodoo Lab dual Ground Controller and rack unit patch bay unit that are used together. Some of those patch bay rigs can get into the bucks, the VL pair is not cheap but does the deal from what I have heard.
Old 9th May 2012
Gear Maniac

Yeah The vl systems do look good. But they get expensive when you start adding things up. Also their looper only has 8 loops... So to buy another looper is even more money. The ssl connects 16 devices. The other great thing is you can edit all your patches on a computer then just use any midi controller with it. It seems like a great solution and very simple too. But it's just strange that you don't see anyone using them, makes me think there must be a reason...
Thanks for the reply dude
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear
The $1299 pricetag is probably one of the reasons the SSL X-Patch not more widely used outside of studios. At that price, you start getting into Bradshaw and others custom rigs.
Old 9th May 2012
Gear Maniac

Really? I was under the impression that going down the Bradshaw or custom audio electronics route would be waaay more expensive. But then I have no experience with these companies and have no idea about their pricing

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search