The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 13th January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
I use it at the end of the chain to make things real ugly I haven't used it much actually only got it about 2 weeks ago.

I'll try swapping the phase & blues. Just like to experiment.
Try also to see if you like the compressor before or after your blues driver. I have the Keeley compressor and have it in front of my other pedals; I like having the guitar compressed before hitting overdrive/distortion, but may try it the other way around.

I've seen a pedalboard that had a cool switch that let you put effects in any order, so you could swap compression with overdrive, or delay and chorus. I'll see if I can remember the link. Pricey, but cool.
Old 16th January 2008
Gear Maniac

My camera sux so heres a list...all BOSS except where noted
TU-2 Tuner, PH-3 Phase Shifter (Might get the boot for an MXR Phase 90), Crybaby 535Q Wah, MXR DynaComp, PQ-4 Parametric EQ (Pre-Distortion EQ is KEY!!!!), Maxon OD-808, EH Big Muff Pi, OS-2 OD/Distortion, MZ-2 Digital Metalizer, DC-3 Digital Space-D, 1978 EH Deluxe Electric Mistress, CH-1 Super Chorus (TO be replaced by CE-2 Chorus), Ernie Ball VP Jr. Volume Pedal, DD-3 Digital Delay, ROland Re-201 Space Echo (not shown)

I put the DynaComp after the Phaser and Wah to tame them a bit...they can get a bit nasty sometimes...
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

If I used most of any of these pedal boards, I would trip over myself and forget everything I learned about playing over the last 38 year. My worst nightmare is one of those rack systems with the MIDI foot controller!

Don't get me wrong. Sit me in studio with a patch bay, racks up racks, and huge console and I go to town. But when I play the guitar, is usually the axe and the amp. When I do a Hendrix show, I use a Cry Baby, a Roland Fuzz, a Digitech Hendrix, and a Dunlop Univibe. I have a foot pedal to the Marshall. And thats too damn much. Bought a Blues Jr last week. No plans for any pedals for that rig!

Maybe I am getting old. 30 years ago, I had about ever ElectroHarmonic box and use to string them all up. Look, no offense to anyone, but for the most part, there is a compressor, a distortion box, a wah, a chorus, a flanger, and delay. After that it;s just weird **** like ring modulators, etc. If you think you need to have 6 distortion units to have a variety in your sound, you need to stop. Play straight and work on using your fingers for tone. I guarantee Jeff Beck can coax more great tones from a guitar and amp than any of you can with the biggest pedal board.
Old 17th January 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsmith View Post
If you think you need to have 6 distortion units to have a variety in your sound, you need to stop.

That's like saying you only need one preamp to record everything. You know the name of the forum you're on, right?
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you think you need to have 6 distortion units to have a variety in your sound, you need to stop. Play straight and work on using your fingers for tone.

I find it strange that people have any concern for what's on someone elses pedal board. What difference does it make to you how many distortion pedals I have?
(I have 24 OD/Dist/fuzz pedals).

Oh, and by the way, I'm no Jeff Beck. Perhaps if I was I'd get rid of some stuff. ...nah...who am I kidding, I'm a gearslut!
Old 17th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Long Island!!!

Good to see some fellow Long Islanders here....

I live in Germany but Im from Valley Stream...

And yeah...you can never have enough distortion/Od's or effects for that matter.

The more colors on your palette...the better. Thats my philosophy.

Gear Addict

This has been my current lineup for the past few months or so. I went through various periods of messing around with lots of different effects, different buffers, etc. until I found this setup and I've been happy with it ever since. I'm not a huge effects nut, but there are times every once in a while where wah, delay or trem is useful. I use my two overdrives for different lead tones and my clean boost pedal for a volume boost for solos (my Bogner is older, so it doesn't have the boost volume mod done to it - this is a nice workaround).

I play either a Fender '62 AVRI Strat, PRS McCarty (w/ Wolfetone A5 Marshallheads) or Gibson Firebird V (Lollar FB-mini in the bridge, Lollar 50's wind neck P90 soapbar) through a Bogner EL-34 Shiva w/ Reverb half stack.

Long cables are Lava Tweed ELC, pedalboard cables are Bill Lawrence, speaker cable is Mulder Audio.

Effects chain is as follows: -> Pro Analog Supaquack -> VHT Valvulator [Telefunken 12ax7 loaded] (output 1): Planet Waves Tru-Strobe Tuner (output 2) -> Clay Jones OD -> Lovekraft Mojo Drive -> (out to amp input)

FX loop send -> GoudieFX Crystal Boost -> DLS Echotap -> Red Witch Pentavocal Trem -> FX return

My pedalboard isn't the prettiest since things have moved around so much on it and it has seen a lot of live playing, so the pedals aren't mint, but

Enjoy!

Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post
I find it strange that people have any concern for what's on someone elses pedal board. What difference does it make to you how many distortion pedals I have?
(I have 24 OD/Dist/fuzz pedals).

Oh, and by the way, I'm no Jeff Beck. Perhaps if I was I'd get rid of some stuff. ...nah...who am I kidding, I'm a gearslut!
Oops, forgot the pedalboard photo:

(Crybaby 535Q>Ibanez CP9>ZVEX BOR> Blackstone Appliances Mosfet OD> Ibanez CS9> MXR EQ> Van Amps Reverbamate Sole Mate )

Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
If I used most of any of these pedal boards, I would trip over myself and forget everything I learned about playing over the last 38 year. My worst nightmare is one of those rack systems with the MIDI foot controller!

Don't get me wrong. Sit me in studio with a patch bay, racks up racks, and huge console and I go to town. But when I play the guitar, is usually the axe and the amp. When I do a Hendrix show, I use a Cry Baby, a Roland Fuzz, a Digitech Hendrix, and a Dunlop Univibe. I have a foot pedal to the Marshall. And thats too damn much. Bought a Blues Jr last week. No plans for any pedals for that rig!

Maybe I am getting old. 30 years ago, I had about ever ElectroHarmonic box and use to string them all up. Look, no offense to anyone, but for the most part, there is a compressor, a distortion box, a wah, a chorus, a flanger, and delay. After that it;s just weird **** like ring modulators, etc. If you think you need to have 6 distortion units to have a variety in your sound, you need to stop. Play straight and work on using your fingers for tone. I guarantee Jeff Beck can coax more great tones from a guitar and amp than any of you can with the biggest pedal board.
I agree that technique is the first thing to get right/work on, as if it's not there, pedals, guitars, amps don't help (although as a young kid learning guitar, pedals do help mask that inadequacy while learning).

Jeff Beck is probably the wrong guy to think of when it comes to straight tone; he was a early adopter of fuzz, wah, etc. and was one of Roger Mayer's first customers. Now someone like a Roy Buchanan, totally agree there. But, sadly I will never be as good as either of them.

Also, many of these pedalboards I'm guessing are used in the studio, but also live where you do need to have sonic alternatives depending on the song. If you have good cables and true bypass pedals, you're not losing that much of your tone from the guitar through to the amp. On my pedalboard, I had my wah modded with true bypass, and it goes through true bypass pedals into the effects loop, which keeps the noisier pedals out of the loop until I need them for lead, effects, etc.

And yes, just as this website helps fuel my G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) for studio gear, I'm always looking for different pedals for different sounds, or swapping things in and out.

To each his own.
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Pedalboard as of 12/18/07. Works for me. Will sometimes add an MXR Distortion II for the heck of it; for Univox-like Super Fuzz tones, a Guyatone TZ2 occasionally.

Amp is a '77 pull boost Princeton Reverb that I had completely overhauled with new caps, etc to make it a sweet sounding amp. Also swapped in a Deluxe output transformer and a Jensen reissue speaker to have a Deluxe Reverb in sheep's clothing. Blackface faceplate is on there not to masquerade as a blackface amp (I'm happy to tell people how cheap I got the amp and what it really is) but the old one was scratched and grim beyond use, so picked it up on eBay. As long as you don't engage the pull boost, it sounds great.

It's loud enough for the small gigs we play, and if not, I bought a matching 1x12 closed cabinet off eBay that sounds great. Occasionally a mic in front through the PA does the job.
Here's the signal path:
Dunlop Wah, modified by Keeley Electronics with a Fasel inductor and true bypass
Boss Tuner
Keeley compressor, on all the time
Keeley Katana for clean boost
Barber Electronics Direct Drive
Mike's Tone Garage No Suck True Bypass Loop Pedal

Loop A (Lead):
Ibanez Tube Screamer, modified by Keeley Electronics
Original Ibanez AD9 (bought in '83) for short, slapback

Loop B (effects)
Phase 90
Boss DD6 Delay - longer delays for volume swells, etc.
Ibanez Super Stereo Chorus

I know most folks run delay after chorus, but I've found I like to have the chorus on the delays instead of the other way around. I used to use the chorus a lot when I bought it in '86, but the only pedal that gets used primarily in that loop now is the delay.
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

my pedal board is really simple:

Old 17th January 2008
Gear Maniac

I'm building flight cases for them now. All switching of pedals/amps etc done at the rack.

~Lerxst
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jeff Beck is probably the wrong guy to think of when it comes to straight tone; he was a early adopter of fuzz, wah, etc. and was one of Roger Mayer's first customers. Now someone like a Roy Buchanan, totally agree there. But, sadly I will never be as good as either of them.
You are thinking of an earlier Jeff Beck. And you forget he may have been the first with a voice tube and ring modulator. But we are talking an true innovator second only to Hendrix. But he most definitly the right guy because he demonstrates how you can wean yourself off the eletronics and go straight. Funny you mentioned Roy Buch. Beck was a huge fan of his and I imagine his the wide sonic pallet Roy had probably was a huge factor in Becks moving toward a straight tone. Good god! Talk about an over the top muthafvcka! I cried like a baby the day he died.

And I would never say to not use any effects, but I have observed a bad trend. Back when I had the huge EH collection, I was obnoxious. 20 years ago it was rare to see anyone with more than 2 or 3 pedals. Now I see cats showing at a jam night with a dozen. And a lot of these guys flat out can't just plug in and play.
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Robin Trower and Pat Travers also come to mind.
Now you wanna make me brag. I opened for Travers once. We put on such a killer show he didn't want to come to the stage for an hour!

The think I loved about doing Travers' shows is that his audience loves the **** out outright wailing on guitars. I don't think I have ever been more well received than by his audience.
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

I couldn't disagree more.

But I think it's just a matter of preference and a bit of a generational thing

You grew up under hendrix. i grew up under 'The Edge'.
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
After that it;s just weird **** like ring modulators, etc. If you think you need to have 6 distortion units to have a variety in your sound, you need to stop. Play straight and work on using your fingers for tone. I guarantee Jeff Beck can coax more great tones from a guitar and amp than any of you can with the biggest pedal board.
Whilst agree that it is important to be able to play, it is pretty hard to make a ring mod sound with just your fingers.

I use quite a few effects but quite sparingly.
I guess 80% of the time it is just guitar -> amp but there are certain things I want to hear when I am playing- things like octavers in solos, delays lines and such are just tools. They support the composition.

We can't all be Jeff Beck- we each have to follow our hearts in this.
Devin Townsend is a genius guitar player who uses a bit of rack gear.
His music is complex and heavy as f*ck- Jeff Beck never approached that level of intensity.
The equipment just supports the ideas.
Old 19th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
I couldn't disagree more.

But I think it's just a matter of preference and a bit of a generational thing

You grew up under hendrix. i grew up under 'The Edge'.
I agree with you. For me it is not nesessarily generational as I am probably older than Jamsmith and I also grew up with Hendrix. But I also grew up with Alex Lifeson(hmm), Alan Holdsworth, Steve Vai, John Petrucci etc.

Letting myself get stuck in an era is my worst nightmare.

:Mullet off:

~Lerxst
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
I agree with you. For me it is not nesessarily generational as I am probably older than Jamsmith and I also grew up with Hendrix. But I also grew up with Alex Lifeson(hmm), Alan Holdsworth, Steve Vai, John Petrucci etc.

Letting myself get stuck in an era is my worst nightmare.

:Mullet off:

~Lerxst
I hear ya. I'm a bit different than the average player I think. I look at guys like Vai and Sattriani, I can appreciate it, I nod my head approvingly, and then I go back to my simple major chord arpeggios shrouded in delay. I don't know for some reason being super fast or having an encyclopedic knowledge of scales doesn't appeal to me. I aim for technical proficiency in the simple stuff I do play ( and that can be very subjective as well ) , and am happy with my "low key" playing.
Old 20th January 2008
Here for the gear

Smile

heres mine, its pretty minimal till i get cashed up

sorry about hte bad image quality, I had to cut the size from 8 meg
Old 20th January 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
Who's the boss?
Bruce Springsteen, I believe
Old 22nd January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by coheed56 View Post
heres mine, its pretty minimal till i get cashed up

sorry about hte bad image quality, I had to cut the size from 8 meg
no worries - we all start somewhere. What are the pedals since the image is too blurry to make them out?
Old 23rd January 2008
Lives for gear

To reiterate my position: it has nothing to do with the era you grew up in, its just where you are on the journey. I would bet one of my lesser Strats that Peter Frampton has more **** in his live rig than anyone today. It bigger than Lukathers studio rack! On the other hand, who hear is going argue that Tom Morello isn't reknown as a sonic innovater of the new generation, yet his pedal board is minimal.

There a few guitarists who just can't say no to candy, and who the **** actually knows how much they are even using! There are few guitarist that have developed a reputation for FX as integral to what they do - The Edge, Fripp, etc. I tend to refer to some of the goes as "eletronic guitarist" in that they are in sense "playing" the electronics as much the guitar like Keith Emerson played the Moog modules as much as he did the keyboard. And I don't apply any of this to them.

On the other hand, the bulk of us are "electric" guitars where the game is manipulated as much sound from the guitar and the amp as possible. When you are young, you just plain can't do this so you stock up on the boxes to get a variety of tone. As time goes on, if you are truly a player, you find 3 things: 1) You get tired of keeping up with all the ****. I mean its not like anything new has been invented in decades! 2) You get tired of dancing. You just want to become with instrument. 3) You find its really more challenging and interesting to see what tone you can coax without relying on the boxes

And finally, the statement: "We aren't all Jeff Beck" is as equally false as true. We are not the individual Jeff Beck he is uniquely unique. But on the other hand we are ALL Jeff Beck in that we have within us inner voices that can be developed and brought out and too much concentration of those boxes serves to inhibit the process.

The only effect I always want to keep is the wah. Pedal like that, the Wammy Pedal, etc, can actually be played so the effect come from you rather than just a box. On the other, I can't stand an "auto-wah!"
Old 23rd January 2008
Here for the gear

Exclamation

Quote:
no worries - we all start somewhere. What are the pedals since the image is too blurry to make them out?
Behringer wah, ultra metal, acoustic and distortion/overdrive - with a Zoom MRS-4 Recording unit (which i now use for looping)

I have added a dan-o-wah pedal next to the behringer wah so i can wah the wah pedal :P
Old 23rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
... we have within us inner voices that can be developed and brought out and too much concentration of those boxes serves to inhibit the process.
Or that can be developed and brought out through the use of "those boxes".
Horses for courses, baby. You listen to your inner voice, and I'll listen to mine.
Old 23rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Well, here is the test. Can you go down to a club, plug straight into any amp you might find there and blow some minds? If you can do that, then it's all good. But if you have to have those boxes, that is where the problem is. It more psychological than anything. The boxes really don't make a better player, but I have met a lot of guys who lack confidence without them. If that is the case, then you have no real confidence with them, just a crutch. Even the amp can be a crutch. I use to think I needed my Plexi Marshall. Now the guys with the boutique amps complement me on my sound when I haul out a solid state Crate. (Well, I bought me a Blues Junior, anyhow. It's not how the tubes sound that matters to me, its how they feel.)
Old 24th January 2008
Here for the gear

Question

This is a new pedalboard I just built for the sake of this post
Its made of perspex
Old 27th January 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Here's mine...
rich bastard

....trying to keep this topic alive
Old 27th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Guitar Effects Processor

Hi Guys . I'm in the Market for a new floor Board . I norrowed it down to these three .
POD X3 Live
GeNetX? Guitar Workstation?
GT-10: Guitar Effects Processor .
Playing wise , Well i can hang on the records playing songs from Guitarist like Jake Lee , EVH , Alex Lifeson , Norman Brown , Russ Freeman and Peter White . Thanks
Old 28th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top40Music View Post
Hi Guys . I'm in the Market for a new floor Board . I norrowed it down to these three .
POD X3 Live
GeNetX? Guitar Workstation?
GT-10: Guitar Effects Processor .
Playing wise , Well i can hang on the records playing songs from Guitarist like Jake Lee , EVH , Alex Lifeson , Norman Brown , Russ Freeman and Peter White . Thanks
None of them.

Get a few high quality pedals and a tube amp.
These digital processors sound like ass.
Old 28th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
None of them.
thumbsup

Carl Martin makes a cool multi floor thing (quattro) that looks very cool. . . if you want an "all-in-one" box

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search