The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 23rd November 2011
Lives for gear
My latest 2 level board upgrade:
Sorry my cam is not so great.

Upper level is amp loop, lower amp in chain. Far Right Furman Power Conditioner, rear BBE Supra-Charger, Voodoo Lab Pedal 2 plus, special power strip for high power warts. Made some minor changes.

Old 23rd November 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
My latest 2 level board upgrade:
Sorry my cam is not so great.

Upper level is amp loop, lower amp in chain. Far Right Furman Power Conditioner, rear BBE Supra-Charger, Voodoo Lab Pedal 2 plus, special power strip for high power warts.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
AWESOME BOARD, is the POG in the qtron effects loop? I can't tell exactly
Old 23rd November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwaldvogel View Post
AWESOME BOARD, is the POG in the qtron effects loop? I can't tell exactly
Thanks, just added the new Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe and the micro POG, wanted the Wampler Compressor but they were out. Moved my power supplies and Furman over to the board, will probably work more mounting the BBE and VL2 units on the back.

Q-Tron loop, no, although it would work, I've had a phaser in there before. I was about ready to pull the Q-tron out of line until I heard it with the POG, really makes it come alive and becomes really cool on Low Pass Filter .
Old 23rd November 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks, just added the new Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe and the micro POG, wanted the Wampler Compressor but they were out. Moved my power supplies and Furman over to the board, will probably work more mounting the BBE and VL2 units on the back.

Q-Tron loop, no, although it would work, I've had a phaser in there before. I was about ready to pull the Q-tron out of line until I heard it with the POG, really makes it come alive and becomes really cool on Low Pass Filter .
What did you use for carpeting? Did you check out sub box ccarpet
Old 23rd November 2011
Lives for gear
Had to keep my cost down. It is just flat black painted wood. I just Velcro'd under each pedal. I do not plan on changing out any pedals anytime soon and I left a spot for the Compressor I want whenever I can get it.

I made this board a while back with 2 levels and plenty of room. I am not hauling my gear around these days so it is fine. So strong you can stand on it. Large enough I can group all my power supplies with it.

Making your own board out of quality ply costs next to nothing and works very well. I was always running out of room and I thought it would be novel to have a 2nd tier for my amp loop chain. Later I will probably repaint it again and add some metal corner pieces.
Old 23rd November 2011
Here for the gear

This is my pedalboard. Awaiting Metal corner pieces probably.
And I still have to clean the metal thoroughly so the Velcro won't come off.
And to you older question about Velcro check amazon.
Velcro brand 2" Velcro tape with adhesive back is about 22$ or so for 25ft I think
Old 25th November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
This is my pedalboard. Awaiting Metal corner pieces probably.
And I still have to clean the metal thoroughly so the Velcro won't come off.
And to you older question about Velcro check amazon.
Velcro brand 2" Velcro tape with adhesive back is about 22$ or so for 25ft I think
Cheap for strips. I've been getting mine at Lowe's 4ft for like $10. Would be nice to find a carpet that works, perhaps sometime on the next board I will have time to plan and collect materials. I find I have to run long ways under the pedal bottom in order to properly balance the pedal so it does not rock when switching.

I always stayed pretty basic as I do not have a lot of tools. My 2 level board is like my 4th one which cost me next to nothing. I did not have to even cut any pieces. Just had them rip a piece off the width and used that for the shelf. Used 2x2 precuts for bracing underneath and shelf lift supports.

Made some minor changes and wiring clean up. DR unit to the left feeds 2 small Fender amps for something to jam with.

A little hard to see the upper level as my cam is not so great in pixel def.

Place a brace on the proper floor angle and it is so strong you can stand on it. Building my own boards has been the best idea ever for my rig. Boards the size I wanted were just so much and few had a slant which I prefer. If I screw up the surface too much with moving Velcro I just repaint it. Been wanting to add those metal edging strips but not that important and I have to find a good way to cut them on the corner angles.

Changed the order of my amp in chain experimenting with better buffer use. I run the OD into the Pinnacle and the Pinnacle into the DejaVibe with the Ibanez Tube King last in chain to make use of a final tube circuit buffer end of chain.
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Of topic.. But wanted to let you guys know in case you're interested..

We are having a big Cyber Sale.

Barber Electronics
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
Of topic.. But wanted to let you guys know in case you're interested..

We are having a big Cyber Sale.

Barber Electronics
Thanks, a lot going on this Monday. I wish I was not tapped at the moment.
Dig Barber would like to try some out. I really like the more trim pots and pull/circuits most of them have. I hate 3 knob overdrives.

I stumbled on to Wampler by accident and I really like his pedals. Barber is also top of my list.
Old 28th November 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarts View Post
Here is mine

The last time I used a pedal effect was about 10 years ago. Since then Guitar->Cable->Amp, I don't even use any FX loops.
I know - I'm boring.

Yup. After 10-15 years of all kinds of stomp box's (the last few years were all boutique w true bypass) I finally decided that my 15yr old 20' Monster Bass cable was the best FX chain I had ever put together. That cable was only recently replaced with a 10' Mogami. No matter what I hooked up in the chain or whatever amp I used, somewhere the tone suffered to the point that I got annoyed. I still mess around with pedals but they don't stay in the chain for long. A 35W tube amp you can turn all or most of the way up makes an awesome distortion pedal

Yeah, I know, not for everyone.
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear
There is a whole lot more to pedals than just distortion. My amp has uber gain channels I just like pedals for different tones and colors. Boring for me would be having the same tone all the time.
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Do you guys ever just turn up with your pedalboard and plug into the guitar amp at the venue? When you can share back line for quick change overs n such?

I guess something like that could affect pedal choices for your board maybe.

Those Wampler pedals sound like an a preamplifier from a good tube amp and with bags of character. It would be like having your amp of choice no matter what amps at the venue. Something like a Tubescreamer has a strong sonic influence on your distorted tone but they seem to still work with the tone of the amp still shining through.
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortisol View Post
Do you guys ever just turn up with your pedalboard and plug into the guitar amp at the venue? When you can share back line for quick change overs n such?

Those Wampler pedals sound like an a preamplifier from a good tube amp and with bags of character. It would be like having your amp of choice no matter what amps at the venue. Something like a Tubescreamer has a strong sonic influence on your distorted tone but they seem to still work with the tone of the amp still shining through.
Yes, frequently. I ask for either a Fender Twin Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb and am very happy with what I can get out of those amps and my pedalboard.
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

In that case would you design your pedalboard to route all the pedals into the instrument input of the amp or do you have contingencies in case the amp has an FX loop? Y'know in case you don't get your prefered amp on the rider.

These pedalboards could get quite a weight to em if you travel by commercial airlines to a gig...
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
In that case would you design your pedalboard to route all the pedals into the instrument input of the amp or do you have contingencies in case the amp has an FX loop? Y'know in case you don't get your prefered amp on the rider.

These pedalboards could get quite a weight to em if you travel by commercial airlines to a gig...
Input - I don't care for amps with an FX loop. As for getting the preferred amp, that's why we send our stage plot and back line request 3 weeks before the show, confirm 1 week before the show. Almost everyone has a Twin Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb so it's not a problem.

as for my pedalboard, in the case it's 12" x 6" x 32", so it's carry-on. For larger shows we also have a road trunk that fits guitars, pedalboards, etc.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the input nedorama. I might be getting back into guitar playing. I did a jazz guitar degree when I was a kid and promptly put guitar to the side and played bass and drums! lol

The main pedal board would be for my Mrs. She plays heavy music, a 7 string guitar into a Peavey 5150 mkII. So far the rig is the 5150 and a TC Flashback delay. Will add to that with an MXR Smartgate and maybe a Maxon Tubescreamer (I would also consider the Timmy because it sounds badass). Can the Timmy do the bass end tightening thing that a Tubescreamer does so well? I'm also considering either a LovePedal Pickle Vibe or a Line6 M5 for a Univibe sound. The M5 could do so much more and work as a tuner too but I think the Pickle Vibe rocks!

Anyone getting good Univibe sounds out of the Line6 M5?
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:

You could probably do that certainly. But there is a serious difference in tones and control much less the depth and compression quality the tubes bring also the ability to kick on uber gained tube channels as well.

Most metal heads I have known like the way a good overdrive tightens up the tube gain even on the best of amps. A TS is the basis for the idea of a good OD circuit, it is simple and has been cloned by a million others.

One thing I like about my Wampler Ecstasy Drive is that is not a TS clone but has similar tonal function as well as having 3 different modes of different diode configs into a primo op amp. It can do completely clean to really gainy which I really like in an OD. The TS had some typical shortcomings that most clones have tried to address like muddy bass and it colors the tone. Still a great box but some have improved upon the idea. The TS is just a couple diodes to a op amp, simple circuit. I tend to like a more cleaner drive with some low end punch and transparent openess to it. I use mine for enhancing cleaner tones as well as for more control and tightening up a really high gain.

I do not play in the band anymore it is just me playing for my own enjoyment these days and hoping to get more into some recording gear just for kicks. Some pedals have enough vol to drive as a preamp or running them into a board substitutes for an amp. To give a couple of examples of that quick sort of setup, I hear Neil Schon likes to use one of the Boss multi-effect processors right into the board. I recently was watching Pat Travers on Audience recently, he and his other guitarist were both running their floor processor units into the PA. They had 2 JCM900 half stacks behind them that had no power or plug in to them.

Yeah that works but it is arguably not the greatest tone in the world and the certain loss of being able to hit the tubes and overdrive for tones. You are stuck w the basic solid state sound of the pedals and no matter the feel an quality of the pedals tubes are tubes. One reason I still love and am always impressed by the tone and quality of my Ibanez Tube King w real tube running a 100v internal. Great box, for $150 it is silly good. Every time I kick that puppy on the tone is just there really nice pedal. Now that pedal could easily serve as a preamp and also runs a tube buffer circuit that is on all the time. I keep forgetting to get that overdrive model, if it is as half as good as the red dist will be a super buy, it is like $130. Those new Tube Kings are really good pedals, heavy as hell, made with a sense of quality, you can tell there is a transformer in there. I plan to get the other one next buy.
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

It's funny you bring that up darkhorse as we've recently gone from using a Johnson J-Station for our live guitar set up to the 5150. And the result for us where as you spoke of.

I put this down to not having tubes in the chain and the fact that live sound engineers and their associated gear likes to see standard band equipment. I had a listen to the new generation of Line6/Bogner amps namely the DT25 with the tube power amp design and they sounded like top class tube amps! And thinking about the old Marshall JMP-1 preamplifier where the tone stack was tube but the preamplifier section was solid state, it makes me wonder if hitting tubes at some point is the key rather than hitting tubes at the preamplifier stage?

These are only thoughts and possibilities in my part rather than solid conclusions though.

Even though I play drums in a heavy rock band my main situation is recording singer songwriters and Indie bands. So there are usually small tube amps and plenty of weird and wonderful pedals and gadgets. It's more fun to do this than to work with heavy music. I'm building up pedals to add to the pedals of the guitarists in these Indie bands for the productions.

Gotta say this thread is inspiring and all the pedalboard photos are a huge help in thinking about layout and pedal choice.
Old 3rd December 2011
This is the pool for my pedal board. Because of the way I do gigs and the variety of styles I have to change my pedal board daily. It would be too heavy to try and have some sort of "most used" layout. It's hard carting gear around NYC. I do have my goto's. I wish all pedal were small like zvex.
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by litepipe View Post
This is the pool for my pedal board. Because of the way I do gigs and the variety of styles I have to change my pedal board daily. It would be too heavy to try and have some sort of "most used" layout. It's hard carting gear around NYC. I do have my goto's. I wish all pedal were small like zvex.
Quite a collection. I am not gigging out these days any more but I try to keep my board capability pretty versatile to bring out a lot of different styles and tones. I tend to play heavy fusion, but range from funk, rock to metal tones as it suits me.
Old 4th December 2011
Lives for gear
We play out quite a bit, so I've been finessing the board to ensure it has the flexibility to cover the songs we need without getting out of hand. Right now the Phase 90 or the old Ibanez Super Stereo Chorus are in danger of getting dropped off the board; I don't use them that much and would rather have a stompbox-sized pedal for tremolo for my Fender amps (for reverb, I set and forget it). Would build it into this size box:

BOX ALUM 3.5X1.38X1.19" 1550A Hammond Manufacturing Datasheet

That way, I can loom audio, tremolo switch and AC in one "snake" to make getting on and off the stage easier. 25 feet will be fine.

Also thinking of making room for my Radial BigShot ABY pedal, although I'm realizing that I only use this at home to play multiple amps. Our stage setups aren't that elaborate yet, especially since we're shlepping our own gear.
Old 4th December 2011
Quote:
Quite a collection. I am not gigging out these days any more but I try to keep my board capability pretty versatile to bring out a lot of different styles and tones. I tend to play heavy fusion, but range from funk, rock to metal tones as it suits me.
I wish I could find an arrangement that I could use all the time. Sometimes I like to play with effect order. Things like reverb before an overdrive, wah wah before and after a fuzz... Volume at beginning or end of a chain. How great it would be to be able to change the order on the fly.

It is kind of a pain in the ass to have to rewire everything everyday. I enjoy it when I do a tour and I get to play the same rig for a period of time. I used to have a bigger pedalboard, but that was just to heavy to take on the subway. Some pedals are just huge too like the HK Rotosphere, Solemate Reverb, etc.. Ofcourse the tape delay isn't fitting on there so that's another piece to carry. <sigh> If I just didn't care about the tone it would be so much easier.
Old 4th December 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepipe View Post
. Some pedals are just huge too like the HK Rotosphere, Solemate Reverb, etc.. Ofcourse the tape delay isn't fitting on there so that's another piece to carry. <sigh> If I just didn't care about the tone it would be so much easier.
AMEN to that brotha. Lol I also hate when people look at me like my pedalboard is ridiculous cause I love tone. But I also hate when I opt out of a pedalboard for my channel switching amp and then a band were playing with has a pedalboard with all this cool stuff on it an I didn't even get to show off my "masterpiece" hahaha
Old 4th December 2011
Quote:
AMEN to that brotha. Lol I also hate when people look at me like my pedalboard is ridiculous cause I love tone. But I also hate when I opt out of a pedalboard for my channel switching amp and then a band were playing with has a pedalboard with all this cool stuff on it an I didn't even get to show off my "masterpiece" hahaha
there are times when I looooovvvvveeeee just playing straight into an amp. But, that's only when I can crank it. If I can push my 35watt tweed almost all the way it's bliss. Most of the time that's not the case and I need something else for gain. Depends on the type of music tho. Songwriter stuff needs more textures and I start to bring effects into the mix. I'm not a purist in either direction. I go with the music.
Old 4th December 2011
Here for the gear

Last night I got to push my fender hotrod deville all the way to 11 outta 12 on my "clean" channel, which means it sounded like I nice lightly crunchy overdrive.
I was able to crank it so high cause we were on a float in our city Christmas parade, outdoors you need the extra volume lol
Old 4th December 2011
Gear Addict

Occasionally I have to bring out this in sessions--- when things are not going well.
Old 9th December 2011
Here for the gear

Picked up a visual sound comp 66, this thing is amazing. Nice buffers, the noise reduction helps keep it quiet, works just like the dyna comp, sounds just like the script logo to me. I love the tone control. Makes it sound so fat without being bright
Old 11th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Picked up a visual sound comp 66, this thing is amazing. Nice buffers, the noise reduction helps keep it quiet, works just like the dyna comp, sounds just like the script logo to me. I love the tone control. Makes it sound so fat without being bright
Was one of my fav pedals of the last year. Nice TS clone overdrive w better bass response and overall tone, and a similar DynaComp compressor and indeed as far as buffers go the Visual Sound is quite good. If I still had it I would probably go for the JHS mod on that pedal to see what they can add to it. As a front pedal the Route66 is a very good choice, for $150 it's a good deal for 2 nice pedals. I would rather have the VS than a real TS and a DynaComp.
Old 12th December 2011
Here for the gear

My Comp 66 rocks ! I already have a Jekyll an Hyde. The overdrives on the route66 and J&H are identical. So I figured instead of buy the double pedal I'd put my compressor first as planned and then layer them in whichever fashion is appropriate.
GREAT pedals. I LOVE visual sound and will continue to use their amazing stuff
Old 12th December 2011
Lives for gear
Yeah, I felt that when I first got them. Seems like you had the same idea I had with the J&H and R66. I never really used the Dist into the OD as I just do not like that order. The OD after completely changes the distortion structure and voicing. If you got the dist where it just killed and hit the OD you lose the tone and it all changes, smoothes out. You sort of have to adjust them either both as on or set a good tone for either and use one at a time.

I guess you found out that when you run 2 ODs they cannot be set real gainy as the sum of the 2 is more gain than by themselves. I used to get a killer SRV on that R66 pedal running the comp level down and boosting it more into the OD. I eventually traded off the J&H. I liked the Dist and OD but not in combination. Wish I would have kept the R66 is really a nice stocker pedal, would like to have heard the JHS mod on it.

I made a few changes on my board again always experimenting with the best chain. Decided to put my wah before my main buffer and move my phaser from the amp loop into the main amp chain for better tone options. Everything seems to be optimal at this point/ I look forward to adding in the Wampler Compressor when I can to complete my cleaner tone range.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search