The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gepposound View Post
Here's my new homemade Pedalboard :

I use it with acoustic & electric guitar.

BBE Supacharger Power supply
Volume pedal Ernie Ball Vpj 6181
Tc Electronics Polytune Tuner
A-B Box della Behringer
Compression Sustainer CS-3 Boss.
Xotic BB premap
Fulltone OCD
Suhr Riot
Wampler Ecstasy
Fulltone Fatboost 3
Tc Electronic Flashback Delay
Tc Electronic CoronaChorus
Digitech harmony Man
Fishman AFX Reverb

Wired with Mogami 2524 with Neutrik
and Planet Waves Pedal Board Kit

Nice board, I have the TC pedals, and the Wampler, had the Fat Boost and a OCD. Kind of wish I'd kept that FB-3 liked that a lot. That harmony pedal seems cool to mess with. Also use a Supra Charger I had gotten 2 different Voodoo Lab2s that had dead ports, got the BBE on the 3rd attempt. Been a great supply brick. Been seeing that Shur pedal a lot have to try one.
Old 10th October 2011
Here for the gear

Here is my board

Leprechaun PedalBoard:

Chain is Fender Tele Deluxe(Main Guitar)/Am. Std. Strat/Rick 620 > Korg Pitchblack Tuner > Modded Cry Baby Wah > Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe > Vintage DOD 401 Phasor > Modded MXR Dyna Comp (Ross Mod) > Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet > Timmy > MXR Micro-Chorus > MXR Micro-Flanger > Fulltone Supra -Trem > Way Huge Aqua Puss Delay > TC Electronic Flashback Delay > Mesa Boogie Express 5:25/Egnater Rebel 30
Old 10th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Nice board, I have the TC pedals, and the Wampler, had the Fat Boost and a OCD. Kind of wish I'd kept that FB-3 liked that a lot. That harmony pedal seems cool to mess with. Also use a Supra Charger I had gotten 2 different Voodoo Lab2s that had dead ports, got the BBE on the 3rd attempt. Been a great supply brick. Been seeing that Shur pedal a lot have to try one.
Question, other than the way it mounts and avoiding large daisy chains, what's the advantage of a power brick opposed to a one spot?
Most the power bricks I've looked up can't handle as many milliamps as a one spot or the rocktron equivalent.
Unless the power bricks handle 800mA PER power output.

And that's an honest question. I'm not trying to belittle equipment or peoples train of thought.
I honestly don't know if there are advantages to them idk about
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear
Noise mostly. Power Spot uses switching power supply, with 1 power supply feeding all your pedals. Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 and other ones have individual power supply feeds that are isolated from each other -- can cut down on noise.

Had a One Spot, got the Pedal Power 2 and my noise level went down significantly.

Read here:
Voodoo Lab - Pedal Power 2 Plus

And what pedals do you have that need 800ma per output? few pedals suck more than 60ma of current, with most under 20ma.
Old 10th October 2011
Here for the gear

I have enough pedals to where I need to use close to 1000mA total last time I checked.
I remember adding them up one day awhile back and I know the Dunlop dc brick wasn't sufficient enough.
But then again idk now. Idk much about the power bricks.

Are you saying the more pedals in your chain the more noise?
Honestly my Jekyll and hyde v2 has a noise gate in it and cuts almost ALL hiss
Old 10th October 2011
Here for the gear

I don't think I'd ever justify 200-300$ on a power supply.
Id probably figure out how to build my own before that.
I'd noise is a problem an effects loop style noise reduction pedal works great. Patch cables and all would cost under 150$

The boss ns-2 and Mxr noise clamp works great. Reduces noise before and after your gain pedals. And doesn't have ANY harsh gating effects unless you want it
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear
$2-300 for a power supply? Not sure where you're getting your facts since the Pedal Power 2 is less than $175 retail... At that price, getting a noise suppressor and a One spot doesn't make a lot of sense.

If you can correct the noise problem at the source, it's always better. The Pedal Power 2 supplies (if you had clicked on the link) a total of 1100ma spread across its 8 isolated outputs, and instead of buying a power supply and a noise gate pedal (which takes up extra room), getting good power does it right the first time. Want to power a Line 6 pedal at 18V? it can do it. Want to simulate battery sag, for pedals that sound great when the batteries are dying? It can do that. Need an AC outlet for pedals with an AC cord? Yep. The Pedal Power 2 is more expensive, but getting good clean power to your pedals costs money and I've certainly found it's worth lowering the noise floor vs. daisy chaining all your pedal power together, which can create a ground loop (ie noise).

And yes, more pedals in your chain can increase the potential for more noise, messing with your tone, etc. If you're using loops like you're doing, it cuts it down. But if you're daisy chaining your power across those loops, you'll still get noise.

Noise gates such as the ones you mentioned are more for guys with high-gain amps or crazy amounts of distortion who would otherwise have a constant hiss in their amp. They're not meant to deal with inadequate power supplies for multiple pedals on a board.
Old 11th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
$2-300 for a power supply? Not sure where you're getting your facts since the Pedal Power 2 is less than $175 retail... At that price, getting a noise suppressor and a One spot doesn't make a lot of sense.

If you can correct the noise problem at the source, it's always better. The Pedal Power 2 supplies (if you had clicked on the link) a total of 1100ma spread across its 8 isolated outputs, and instead of buying a power supply and a noise gate pedal (which takes up extra room), getting good power does it right the first time. Want to power a Line 6 pedal at 18V? it can do it. Want to simulate battery sag, for pedals that sound great when the batteries are dying? It can do that. Need an AC outlet for pedals with an AC cord? Yep. The Pedal Power 2 is more expensive, but getting good clean power to your pedals costs money and I've certainly found it's worth lowering the noise floor vs. daisy chaining all your pedal power together, which can create a ground loop (ie noise).

And yes, more pedals in your chain can increase the potential for more noise, messing with your tone, etc. If you're using loops like you're doing, it cuts it down. But if you're daisy chaining your power across those loops, you'll still get noise.

Noise gates such as the ones you mentioned are more for guys with high-gain amps or crazy amounts of distortion who would otherwise have a constant hiss in their amp. They're not meant to deal with inadequate power supplies for multiple pedals on a board.
The 300$ was definitely an exaggeration. But 200 is about where most of them are at price wise.

Idk if I'll go for one because I don't have a problem with noise. The only noise I've ever had is when I was using an amps distortion which is irrelevant cause the only time I do that is in jam sessions in which my pedalboard is just too pain staking to bring.
I've built one of those battery sag things. Not really useful for me unless it's a phase 90
Alot of pedals hate the sagged power some people may like it but I don't personally.
I do have one 18v pedal I use. My chorus, but I've already purchased the power supply.
And from what I've read on harmony central and reviews, people have never really had noise problems with the one spot in-particular. I haven't. All my friends use them an don't complain. So ill stick with it until I get ambitious enough to build a DIY power supply lol.

I think noise floor is alot more noticeable when your using over the top cranked up tube amps.
But running into a clean tube amp my and even having 3 layered gain stages I don't have a noise problem.
My tube box on my board requires a wall plug anyways, so I must hVe some kind of power strip or equivalent under/on my board for that.
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GocartMoz View Post
Leprechaun PedalBoard:

Chain is Fender Tele Deluxe(Main Guitar)/Am. Std. Strat/Rick 620 > Korg Pitchblack Tuner > Modded Cry Baby Wah > Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe > Vintage DOD 401 Phasor > Modded MXR Dyna Comp (Ross Mod) > Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet > Timmy > MXR Micro-Chorus > MXR Micro-Flanger > Fulltone Supra -Trem > Way Huge Aqua Puss Delay > TC Electronic Flashback Delay > Mesa Boogie Express 5:25/Egnater Rebel 30
Very nice! Love the Mojo Vibe - the drilled holes make for a very clean layout!
Old 11th October 2011
Here for the gear

What do you guys think about VFE PEDALS? They have them on proguitarshops site. I believe most of them are made with surface mount parts, which helps the price point. But they look cool. Looks like they take other peoples pedals and add switches to get a different flavor.
The artwork is cool.
I let my wife doodle on one of my pedals and name it then I cleared over it.
Keeps it interesting and fun. Also keeps my wife from being annoyed with my time consuming hobbies
Old 14th October 2011
Here for the gear

I am contemplating selling some of my gear to save for the visual sound dual tap delay that should be released soon
Old 15th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwaldvogel View Post
What do you guys think about VFE PEDALS? They have them on proguitarshops site. I believe most of them are made with surface mount parts, which helps the price point. But they look cool. Looks like they take other peoples pedals and add switches to get a different flavor.
The artwork is cool.
I let my wife doodle on one of my pedals and name it then I cleared over it.
Keeps it interesting and fun. Also keeps my wife from being annoyed with my time consuming hobbies
What is VFE not sure I have run across them yet.
Old 15th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
I am contemplating selling some of my gear to save for the visual sound dual tap delay that should be released soon
Is it analog or digital? I would guess analog. I always loved that Route 66 dual pedal, JHS does a cool mod on that. Cool having different preset capability. I do not click my delay on that much these days but I like the versatility the TC has especially that 1/4, 1/8, or both toggle, great for getting that sort of Edge thing going. Can you use both sides at once?
Old 15th October 2011
I've got a couple Effectrode pedals for sale in the FS area, if anyone is interested in picking one up.
Old 15th October 2011
Here for the gear

It's a digital delay co designed with RG keen.
That guy is a genius and in every forum I post in as a guru of electronic theory and such.
It's digital with alot of analog circuitry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLjk...e_gdata_player

Very clean, not muddy at all and sounds VERY analog. It's two delays in one with mono in and stereo out. And you can cascade them or run them stereo and are synchronized with a single tap switch.
It has an external tap switch if you need to run one across stage or put it on a far side of your pedalboard.
It also has an audio click track in, so I can run my click tracks to it and it keeps it perfectly synchronized with any tempo/time signature changes.
One of the channel has the modulation control in it. And both have tone knobs to roll off the highs like an analog delay.
Old 16th October 2011
Lives for gear
Daisy chaining power supplies can work when using numerous buffered circuit pedals like little Boss which end up hiding a lot of the noise and signal loss they are causing.

Isolated filtered power supply feeds just go hand in hand w higher quality cables and top shelf effects. You might get away with a cheaper power feed but if you are hearing any hum, 60 cycle noise, popping from your switches from charging on any true bypass you might have or noise when you use a pedal it is the daisy chain.

Isolated supplies feed their own separated mA feed so it is not a matter of how much the entire unit can deliver. A daisy chain max mA ability must be lower than the total of all the pedals connected to it, not usually a problem nor is the feed from a quality brick. Most bricks are usually 100mA per port w some perhaps 200mA if you have an effect than needs 400-500mA no brick can deliver that. It would also take up at least 50% of the power ability of your One Spot.

I have some effects that require much higher voltage than a brick can do. Basically my amp loop chain runs off a BBE Supra Charger which is an isolated filtered port supply and my amp-in chain which has high current and voltage needs runs off a special power strip with decent quality wart supplies. Each feed from a master power 110 off a Furman power conditioner. I use no noise reduction and my rig is totally quiet. You cannot mix feeds from the brick and the strip to the same chain or you create a ground loop. Each must be separated.

If you have ever used Fulltone pedals they absolutely hate daisy chain feeds and will hum and pop when you switch them, some others will not tolerate daisy chaining, mostly true by pass pedals as buffers hide the signal flaws but when too many, muddle your true tone and signal. Call Fulltone about a pedal problem and first thing they will question is your power supply.

One should look at a having a quality power feed system in the same manner you would use high quality cables or better quality effects in the manner they improve your tone and fidelity of signal. If you feel cables are all the same and do not matter then you probably have no concerns about power supplies. If you are going to step up from batteries to a power supply then it makes sense to use a quality one. You might very well use a One Spot or whatever and have problem but when you do start getting some noise, hum or switch popping that is your first causation pending a bad cable connect.
Old 17th October 2011
Here for the gear

I used to use all dimarzio patch cables on my board but at 12-17$ a piece they aren't cheap. And the 1ft ones are over 20$.
Great cables though. So durable it's annoying with pedals that have abnormal jack placement.

But when I used the cheap radio shack 1fts, (I have 10 of them now) I did not notice any problems with signal loss or noise. They are great cables just not durable. But with a board that is stationary it's not a problem.
I even ran both through a patchbay through a signal generator ad looked at it with an RTA analyzer. The signal loss I experienced was in the35k+ range
Old 17th October 2011
Here for the gear

And no major capacitance on my dmm either
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear
I had RS about a year ago, got noise and clarity loss. Seemed OK at the time and were low cost. But after a while I started trying to silence my rig more as my pedal board grew.

I make my own cables these days, heavy duty right angle pan jacks and some spare high end cables I was not using I cut them up and made some good soldered connector cables. Makes a difference on my rig. I have a few times traced noise to a bad cable so I started making my own this year. I get these high quality heavier duty large lug plugs for like $1 ea (OrangeCountySpeakerRepair) and a spare cable like monster, $0 cost. I did not want to get into the solderless kits myself I prefer a good soldered connection.

1/4" TS Plug Mono Right Angle Male Connector - GLS Audio - 20 Pack
(amazing deal really, $20 for a 20 piece bag, much larger lug and heavier than most right angle flat profile plugs you see these days.)
Old 17th October 2011
Here for the gear

That's one of my projects. I have a bunch of scrap canare quad star cable from my church making instrument cables. I just need to buy those plugs and have time. Im having Technical issues rewiring my 4x12 mono/stereo for 8 ohm speakers and reconfiguring the switch on the back. Believe I got it right. Waiting for a couple people to help me confirm my wiring layout on a couple of forums before I test as to not blow an output tranny accidentally or hurt my speakers.
I'm also building a 5 channel looper but waiting for my 3pdt wiring boards from guitarpcb to come on my doorstep.
Too many projects Lol
New radio shack cables are not bad. They really aren't. There are too many myths and legends in the music world.
I'm not saying their are great. But they are the equivalent of nice dimarzio or monster patch cables. The capacitance is right.
Short cables in a rig that has good buffer or play into ones brains more than ones tone in my opinion.
Disagree, many people are convinced George L's cable is the best thing ever. And I'll admit that he has come up with the best solderless System yet.
But his cable itself is nothing special. If its durable and doesn't affect your capacitance, it doesn't matter.
He is the only solderless system that stays in contact on tour lol.
That's what people are paying for
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear
George L's also won the Guitar Player cable shootout from several years ago as the lowest noise; Monster wasn't even a top 3. If you're making your own and have soldering skills, the world is your oyster. For folks like me, the flexibility and ease of solderless George L's has made them great in my book.
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear
Just got the TC Electronic Flashback and kicked the Boss DD6 off the pedalboard. Wow. Great pedal! Love the analog, Tape and 2290 settings.
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
That's one of my projects. I have a bunch of scrap canare quad star cable from my church making instrument cables. I just need to buy those plugs and have time. Im having Technical issues rewiring my 4x12 mono/stereo for 8 ohm speakers and reconfiguring the switch on the back. Believe I got it right. Waiting for a couple people to help me confirm my wiring layout on a couple of forums before I test as to not blow an output tranny accidentally or hurt my speakers.
I'm also building a 5 channel looper but waiting for my 3pdt wiring boards from guitarpcb to come on my doorstep.
Too many projects Lol
New radio shack cables are not bad. They really aren't. There are too many myths and legends in the music world.
I'm not saying their are great. But they are the equivalent of nice dimarzio or monster patch cables. The capacitance is right.
Short cables in a rig that has good buffer or play into ones brains more than ones tone in my opinion.
Disagree, many people are convinced George L's cable is the best thing ever. And I'll admit that he has come up with the best solderless System yet.
But his cable itself is nothing special. If its durable and doesn't affect your capacitance, it doesn't matter.
He is the only solderless system that stays in contact on tour lol.
That's what people are paying for
One of the solderless kits makes a ring pressure contact all around the shield wire which I think is better than G L's set screw type if you are going to go sodlerless. Solderless is just not something I think I want to trust all the time. Some swear by it of course, but there are a lot of things many like I just do not find do it for me, and really most of those cables are not anything special. It is not just capacitance but also a matter of noise floor or shielding. Size probably is not so much an issue but there is a gauge I do not go below. I have even thought at times, as a goof. to hard wire my pedals to each other using no jacks. Does nor make for easy pedal swap but man what a flawless connection that would be.

I used a spare high end monster cable I had that it turned out really nice (probably twice the size of the radio shack but still really flexible). You can get 20 ft of Mogami or another good cable and go to town on those fat right angles which I like a lot for close profile and side pedal jacks, you can of course get straight plugs as well but for $1 they are silly low price for what you get. Twice the lug chamber as most right angle plugs you see with room for the heaviest cable. First thing Fulltone will have you do is replace any solderless cable w soldered high quality when first trouble shooting. I dig the ones I have been making, got it down to a fine art after making about 20 of them.

You might give Carvin a call on speaker cab wiring as they do stereo/mono cabs and would be more than glad to talk you through a wiring check or maybe have one on their site. Nice guys at Carvin, been using their gear for over a decade.
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
It is not just capacitance but also a matter of noise floor or shielding. Size probably is not so much an issue but there is a gauge I do not go below. I have even thought at times, as a goof. to hard wire my pedals to each other using no jacks. Does nor make for easy pedal swap but man what a flawless connection that would be.
Absolutely - the George L's were the quietest cables in the Guitar Player shootout by far, so whatever they're doing with their cables, it's working.

For durability, I guess I've been lucky as I've wired my pedalboard with George L's for over 6 years and haven't had a problem. Then again, I'm pretty good with my gear, and I'm the guy packing my pedalboard and cables away after each gig.

Speaking of packing cables, if everyone who's ever wrapped cables around their elbow could watch this, this shows the correct way to do it. Your cables will thank you... (ignore the Planet waves plug)
The Proper Way To Coil A Cable Lesson - YouTube
Old 18th October 2011
Here for the gear

Canare makes AMAZING quad star cable. 4 conductors and a braided shield, it doesn't get much better. Even most Mogami isn't the GREAT Mogami, just typical 2 conductor cable with the typical instrument cable capacitance. Tests have shown that Most cable won't affect the signal much in small 6-12" patch cables. The shielding matters for noise leakage from radio waves and such, but the connectors matter MUCH more than the cable. And YES silver solder is more conductive than typical rosin core solder. But still doesn't make a HUGE difference. I think 99% of the time we are dealing with graphs and charts type differences. Differences that we don't hear. We just BELIEVE we hear it cause it costs us alot of money to have "the best". I believe that myths are amongst most musicians now days that we refuse to disprove without hard evidence. Being involved with the stompboxes forum and slowly studying electronics theory and such has shown me how evident they are and how little difference these things make.
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Canare makes AMAZING quad star cable. 4 conductors and a braided shield, it doesn't get much better. Even most Mogami isn't the GREAT Mogami, just typical 2 conductor cable with the typical instrument cable capacitance. Tests have shown that Most cable won't affect the signal much in small 6-12" patch cables. The shielding matters for noise leakage from radio waves and such, but the connectors matter MUCH more than the cable. And YES silver solder is more conductive than typical rosin core solder. But still doesn't make a HUGE difference. I think 99% of the time we are dealing with graphs and charts type differences. Differences that we don't hear. We just BELIEVE we hear it cause it costs us alot of money to have "the best". I believe that myths are amongst most musicians now days that we refuse to disprove without hard evidence. Being involved with the stompboxes forum and slowly studying electronics theory and such has shown me how evident they are and how little difference these things make.

I agree about Mogami and really I have never used it. That Canare cable I think someone mentioned is as good or better rated. Now way I would ever use Radio Shack or $6 cables on my rig now that I have experienced my own builds, but that is just me and my rig. I thought the same about them back when I rigged up with them but I did get noise floor. I actually went through another set of pedal connector cables before I decided to make my own that are as good as the best top shelf at nearly zero cost to me. I think they make a difference as I can hear and feel it on my rig.

I'd be the first one to denounce typical myths especially about tubes, pedals, and guitar woods, but I have heard the difference in cables on my rig, depends on your rig really and how many buffered pedals you run and the whole chain interaction also the guitar and amp chemistry which is a rather variant infinity between players and what they use as anything being "the best" or whatever. I also do not use some pedals or little amps others love and probably work for them. Same reason there are infinite models of guitars and amps and so many pedals out there who can count them. It is all about individual magic and what works, works. My magic pedal might be the Wampler Esctasy but I am sure someone might not like it.

Would changing the cables on everyone's rig make a really discernible difference, probably not, as everyone has drastically differing rigs. I doubt if you have a several buffered pedals if you would notice anything nor would I suspect you have ever really heard the true headroom and natural tone of your guitar. I always have the attitude, whatever floats your boat, as it's been my experience no matter what you say about anything there will always be the "I did that and had no problem" or "did that and it was crap" view. I have them myself.

All I know is there are some complaints about George L's and many love them. The first thing the tech or Mike Fuller at Fulltone will have you do if you complain about a pedal being noisy is first hook it up by itself without solderless cables and they always suspect your power supply right off. Some players use Planet Waves over G L's are are very notable players, there are also the Lava pedal kits which many have claimed as the better solderless kit. Some daisy chain their power supply and have no problems, others get noise, ground loop hum and switch popping on bypass pedals. By and large it is more the norm on higher rigs to have isolated filtered power supplies and good cables, not sure that is all myth but there it is. Makes you wonder, but listen to some really old vintage rigs like what Hendrix had to use in his day and man the noise, hum and interference was terrible on live.

The single greatest difference I noted on my rig was when I went pretty much all true hardwire bypass with a high end buffer first in chain. That front end buffer lifted the load right off my guitar and you can hear it. To me it is just a part of the progression to higher quality and improving things. I think we have to some extent the "I have it so it must be great" syndrome.
Old 1st November 2011
Here for the gear

My latest config...
Old 1st November 2011
Lives for gear
how do you like the ARC, both as a compressor, boost and DI?
Old 1st November 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdie View Post
My latest config...
Hey how do you like the snarling dogs very-tone?
I wanted one for years, but they stopped selling them do I designed a DIY one and put it online. I've yet to build it though lol.
Old 2nd November 2011
Here for the gear

I've had the A.R.C for two weeks. I'm really enjoying this pedal.
As a compressor/buffer it exceeds my expectation. The best way I can describe it is to compare it to the sonic maximiser...it's like removing a blanket that's covering the speaker. I've not used it as a DI yet.
So far no buyer's remorse at all.

The Snarling Dogs Very-Tone is a cool pedal. They still show up on E-bay ocassionally...sell's for $35-55. I'd recommend both pedals.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search