The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 2nd October 2011
Here for the gear

That's what I'm debating. I have already spent 170$ on a boss and have a carbon copy 150$?
I'd keep the carbon copy but if I spend another 150-200$ on a delay pedal I might as well save for something that has firmware updates, tons of presets available, foot tapping, something that will be hard for me to replace.
Cause the boss has been on my board since 2006-07 or so, and I already wanted to replace it when the dd7 came out less than 6 months later.
The nova repeaters looks promising as well as the strymon stuff.
I may buy a used damagecontrol timeline
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

I know a company that sells killer stuff cheaper then that...
Old 2nd October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
I know a company that sells killer stuff cheaper then that...
Was that a barber promotion ? Or is a company? Lol
Old 3rd October 2011
Lives for gear

Old 3rd October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwaldvogel View Post
Was that a barber promotion ? Or is a company? Lol
Does Barber even do delay pedals?
Wampler makes an analog Faux tape delay I know of and I love the Wampler quality but the TC has like 10 modes, loop and all that. Had I no delay at all I would probably get the Wampler just because I want to build my collection of those pedals.

PGS is $30 off on the Flashback w the email code they sent me, pretty freakin' cheap price for a quality pedal, does anything a Boss or MXR can do and better if you ask me. They are one trick ponies for more money??As far as I know Boss are not true bypass and their buffer circuits are not what one would term high end quality. The only pedal that comes close to the Flashback is the Hardwire Delay and it is damn good I had them both and I really liked the TCs ability to not sound so digital and hard unless of course you want it to.

If I were to drop a lot of bucks it would be the Eventide. Never had Strymon no idea what they run or how good they sound. What is a good vendor for Strymon, I have never run across them until I saw some using them here.

The little TC is like $130 right now, pisses me off because I paid $160+ for mine. Killer delay pedal, I love mine, TC has a good rep. As far as Boss goes, I left them years back. I just cannot really deal w Boss anymore, I look at them as more entry level pedals. OK if you get some mods done on them but you end up with enough bucks to just get a better pedal. Boss delays are pretty straight up digital w no modes for tape, analog, lofi, and others. The Flashback has it all and that little puppy sounds great, lays back in the mix and morphs into your tone, much less it also does mutli taps at 1/4 note, 1/8 note or both, try finding that on most pedals period.
Old 3rd October 2011
Lives for gear

Not yet.. We've had some thing in the works. but been so busy with other stuff and actually trying to hire a few new positions that haven't had time to get it out there...
Old 3rd October 2011
Gear Head

here's mine quite recently rewired (George L's) with new power source (PP2+):

a mixture of new and old classics nothing boutiquely expensive...
Old 3rd October 2011
Lives for gear
I just discovered the Strymon website, wo, now that is some high end pricey gear. I hope its worth the money. That new delay unit looks amazing sort of like the Eventide.

I remain fans of Barber, Wampler for all things overdrive and high gain. I would like to see a high voltage plate real tube OD or gain from these builders. I have one of the Ibanez Tube Kings that ramps to a 100v internally, really has a great sound but I am sure the gurus could do a great one.

Hermida is also cool and the Timmy by Cochran but others have gotten close to or copped that circuit like Lovepedal is reported to have done.
Old 3rd October 2011
Lives for gear
I realize guitarists have little to say but how about a brief walk through of your board chain, it is interesting to see how some run things and what they have come up with. It also is a learning experience for others.
Old 3rd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
I just discovered the Strymon website, wo, now that is some high end pricey gear. I hope its worth the money. That new delay unit looks amazing sort of like the Eventide.

I remain fans of Barber, Wampler for all things overdrive and high gain. I would like to see a high voltage plate real tube OD or gain from these builders. I have one of the Ibanez Tube Kings that ramps to a 100v internally, really has a great sound but I am sure the gurus could do a great one.

Hermida is also cool and the Timmy by Cochran but others have gotten close to or copped that circuit like Lovepedal is reported to have done.
Yes I've seen them.. DSP is the new thing to use..Well not really new.
They look great and the clips I've heard of the Lex sound really really good...
Old 4th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
I realize guitarists have little to say but how about a brief walk through of your board chain, it is interesting to see how some run things and what they have come up with. It also is a learning experience for others.
something I was thinking about trying for my modulated reverb sound was running my Dd-6 mono into my rv5 mono into my 2nd input on the dd6 and back out the stereo out on the RV-5.

Not permanent, just wondering if it might get a nice shimmering cascaded delay-reverb sound
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear
I think you might get some weird effect for sure. Let us know what happens.

Since it is a matter of reverb and delay there is a less likelihood of phase cancellation by repiping the stereo image. I think some effects may not allow a feedback loop from their left back into their right, I've never tried it but it if it works you might could get some wicked multiple delay taps going. I've also run reverb before delay and it works but I tend to go back to delay into reverb which is what I am running now.

Are you still running a mono amp input? Sounds like it. I am considering expanding to a 2nd amp so I can try and run a stereo L/R image using my amp loop chain feeding one side into each of the 2 amps loops for stereo. I have always loved stereo imaging on chorus and delays. Cool as well to put reverb on one side of the delay to a stereo feed which pulls the stereo image wider and more deep sounding. I am wondering if this will work without making ground loop or causing any noise.
Old 4th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
I think you might get some weird effect for sure. Let us know what happens.

Since it is a matter of reverb and delay there is a less likelihood of phase cancellation by repiping the stereo image. I think some effects may not allow a feedback loop from their left back into their right, I've never tried it but it if it works you might could get some wicked multiple delay taps going. I've also run reverb before delay and it works but I tend to go back to delay into reverb which is what I am running now.

Are you still running a mono amp input? Sounds like it. I am considering expanding to a 2nd amp so I can try and run a stereo L/R image using my amp loop chain feeding one side into each of the 2 amps loops for stereo. I have always loved stereo imaging on chorus and delays. Cool as well to put reverb on one side of the delay to a stereo feed which pulls the stereo image wider and more deep sounding. I am wondering if this will work without making ground loop or causing any noise.
Thursday my goal is to get my 4x12 back from my buddies house and install the new speakers so I can wire it up for my mono/stereo setup. Then I will be using a stereo setup mostly.

I have summing pedal where I can run pedalboard stereo or mono. It's passive innards with a LED Indicators. It connects the two signals into summing together when ran mono and then you can flick the switch and go stereo where the jacks just connect together.

This makes it so I have a constant simple rig/complicated rig option without redoing my pedalboard. I have not used it much. I need to plug it in with my reverb and delays that pan back an forth to see if there is any phasing problems when the pedal thinks it's sending stereo bouncing and they both get sent to the same input. Any weird swelling or dying that might take place when they cross that "middlepoint" ya know?
But it's a good idea. My buddy chuck made it for me when we talked about the annoyance of removing patch cables from stereo rigs to be able to use them in situations where you can't bring 2 amps
Old 5th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwaldvogel View Post
Thursday my goal is to get my 4x12 back from my buddies house and install the new speakers so I can wire it up for my mono/stereo setup. Then I will be using a stereo setup mostly.

I have summing pedal where I can run pedalboard stereo or mono. It's passive innards with a LED Indicators. It connects the two signals into summing together when ran mono and then you can flick the switch and go stereo where the jacks just connect together.

This makes it so I have a constant simple rig/complicated rig option without redoing my pedalboard. I have not used it much. I need to plug it in with my reverb and delays that pan back an forth to see if there is any phasing problems when the pedal thinks it's sending stereo bouncing and they both get sent to the same input. Any weird swelling or dying that might take place when they cross that "middlepoint" ya know?
But it's a good idea. My buddy chuck made it for me when we talked about the annoyance of removing patch cables from stereo rigs to be able to use them in situations where you can't bring 2 amps
I thought if you summed true stereo you got phase cancellation issues. They sum the outputs on my pedals to a mono jack, have no idea how they do it.
I am lucky my cab is wired mono and stereo but I am looking at getting a new twin amp as to not split the cab that way I can separate the sides across the room, that is too cool to get delay panning back and forth.
Old 5th October 2011
Here for the gear

ITs not that my pedals ant do mono. But when you plug in the patch cables a failure to run an output your repeats get cut in half.
I play mono sometimes and stereo sometimes. And since I run out of my chorus into a stereo delay in/out and a stereo reverb in/out, it's a pain to remove patch cables on a tight pedalboard when I wanna play mono. The way the pedal works is that it takes a stereo input an sums them OR connects them as intended.
That way on mono gig/practices I can run a single output or run a stereo output.
The idea is NOT messing with my pedalboard as much as possible.

With my straight mono/stereo 4x12 I feel they pan pretty well. I like separate cabs, but If you put the cabs too far apart it's weird Like when stereo speakers are not properly placed.

They don't completely cancel out. At least when I tried it for a couple minutes it didnt. It's a pedal or yet to solder up enough patch cables for. I could maybe wire a phase reverse switch if it's really noticeable when cranked up.
Old 5th October 2011
Lives for gear
Tim - are you using this wiring or something similar for your summing box?
Why Not Wye?
Old 5th October 2011
Here for the gear

VERY similar except mine uses no resistors to keep noise Down. And since the outputs of my pedals are in parallel the resistances are pretty much the same as my pedals output impedance I believe.
It's as simple as wiring two jacks the output of the mono signal is always connected to one jack and the other one goes to a A/B footswitch where one goes the the "mono" output and the other goes to a separate jack with when in "stereo" mode simply connects inputs and outputs an when in mono mode it jack runs both signals to the mono out
Old 5th October 2011
Lives for gear
Tim - if you read the Rane article, you need those resistors in there to have it accurately sum to mono without phase and other issues. Rane wrote the definitive book on this for live sound and recording; any noise would be negligible compared to crosstalk and/or phase issues.

I understand how your switch part works, but the mono summing seems to be exactly what the article warns about.
Old 5th October 2011
Here for the gear

I didn't read the article, just glanced at the schematic for 5 seconds. I haven't stared inside the pedal hardly.

My buddy that Builds pedals built it an gave it to me to try out
Old 6th October 2011
Gear Head

Just moved stuff around & nothing is connected, but you have eyes & can see that...

Ibanez SB7 Bass Synth
Ibanez TK999HT Dist
Morley Bass Wah PS2
MXR Custom Comp
Vox Brit Boost OD
BBE Mind Bender Chor/Vib
MXR Carbon Copy AD

Constantly been playing around with the path since July when I got my geetar, '74 Quad Reverb & began collecting the pedals pictured.
The 100W Quad currently gets very little action in this tiny, thin walled space; instead I use the Wollensak r2r in PA mode w/Califone 12" as a practice rig...which uses a pair of miniature power type-12ab5 yielding about 10w push-pull... sonic candy when driven and somewhat similar to a lower output el84.
Both were $0. It's amazing what people throw away...and you wouldn't know they were salvaged by the tone. Plus throwing in a pair of 60s Mullard 12au7 & 12ax7 didn't hurt...surely helping me sound better than I am while having very little actual experience [,skill?] & only a vague idea what exactly I'm doing and want to do. I'd say my ear is my best attribute as a music man who has intentionally been avoiding 'the right way of doing things' in favor of searching for a better way; my diy way. Even if it's the hard way, I want to hear something different which aint exactly easy in late 2011. I'll also be the first to admit that killer effects [esp dist and delay] can either really help sloppy technique sound like it's intentional, or greater amplify the fail.
Old 7th October 2011
This is a great thread!! Been following it for ages and have now finally gotten around to taking some pictures of my current gigging rig. it can be seen here!

Current guitar rig – 2011 | spencerbruce.com

I should note that this week I have taken the HT Dual out and replaced it with a Suhr Riot which I am totally in love with!

Peace
Neil
Old 7th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Tim - if you read the Rane article, you need those resistors in there to have it accurately sum to mono without phase and other issues. Rane wrote the definitive book on this for live sound and recording; any noise would be negligible compared to crosstalk and/or phase issues.

I understand how your switch part works, but the mono summing seems to be exactly what the article warns about.
Old 7th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucie View Post
This is a great thread!! Been following it for ages and have now finally gotten around to taking some pictures of my current gigging rig. it can be seen here!

Current guitar rig ? 2011 | spencerbruce.com

I should note that this week I have taken the HT Dual out and replaced it with a Suhr Riot which I am totally in love with!

Peace
Neil
Load your pics, this site is so much better than others I look at where you cannot insert an image. They also censor quite a bit more for words like bull**** or bitchin' which I find rather prudish and 1850.

You can upload your pics into a photo album on your personal CP info (top left tab) merely get the URL or direct link and insert on the image tab above the post window. Best thread on boards I have seen. I tried to start one on FAV guitars but it seems to drop down before it is noticed I guess. Helps to remember to subscribe to the thread so you can cal it up on the Quick Links tab.
Old 8th October 2011
Gear Head
Here's my new homemade Pedalboard :

I use it with acoustic & electric guitar.

BBE Supacharger Power supply
Volume pedal Ernie Ball Vpj 6181
Tc Electronics Polytune Tuner
A-B Box della Behringer
Compression Sustainer CS-3 Boss.
Xotic BB premap
Fulltone OCD
Suhr Riot
Wampler Ecstasy
Fulltone Fatboost 3
Tc Electronic Flashback Delay
Tc Electronic CoronaChorus
Digitech harmony Man
Fishman AFX Reverb

Wired with Mogami 2524 with Neutrik
and Planet Waves Pedal Board Kit

Old 8th October 2011
Lives for gear
Did you mod the Supa Charger? I see a big old toroidal transformer hanging off the end of one side. Otherwise nice layout.
Old 8th October 2011
Gear Head
Yes, i moded the Supacharger with a power on/off switch and i added a toroidal tranformer to supply AC current for Digitech Harmony man.
The switch turn on/off the pedalboard.
Old 8th October 2011

As requested! Hope it works!!

Thanks for the tips Darkhorse!!
Old 8th October 2011
Note to self....should actually post a better picture....watch this space!

Plus I have the Suhr Riot in there now!!
Old 9th October 2011
Here for the gear

Tomorrow I'm soldering up my new TB LOOPER (HOPEFULLY with input and output buffers)
I may mount them in a small rat shack enclosure and mount them in a better spot on my board.
Old 9th October 2011
Here for the gear

Hey guys, anyone want my Original, Rare DBA "Robot Pedal"?

I have the first Original and out of stock Death by Audio Robot pedal.
Not the one you can find now.

Anyone want it? I need to move it, like today.

email me
thanks!
[email protected]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search