The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 25th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
They're about as far from DIY as you can get... if it's good enough for Pete or David Gilmour...

Nice board!

hehheh
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear
Curious how much money you have wrapped up in that rig?
What is the wattage speaker config on that amp?
And when exactly did you win the lottery or dig the bank tunnel?

I dig all the custom Cornish boxes, Timmy, the Strymon and Hartman but a Boss Chorus???

You couldn't manage a better chorus, rotary, or Vibe than a little Boss??

Boss is cool and all and did a lot to open up the gates of guitar pedals but on a more high end board I am always a bit surprised to see them. I think of them as more staring points.
Old 26th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakey1 View Post
Ummmm- the 'DIY' pedals are actually Pete Cornish pedals.

Pete Cornish

They're quite good.
Guess didn't get a good enough look before I posted. Though I've never heard of Pete Cornish stuff. Looks very diy in appearance.
Old 26th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Curious how much money you have wrapped up in that rig?
What is the wattage speaker config on that amp?
And when exactly did you win the lottery or dig the bank tunnel?

I dig all the custom Cornish boxes, Timmy, the Strymon and Hartman but a Boss Chorus???

You couldn't manage a better chorus, rotary, or Vibe than a little Boss??

Boss is cool and all and did a lot to open up the gates of guitar pedals but on a more high end board I am always a bit surprised to see them. I think of them as more staring points.
I'm surprised with how goo boss stuff is. I think alot of people "boss bash," the way people behringer bash. Not all their products are amazing, some suck, some ROCK.
I have always like bosses stuff besides their OD/DS pedals and thier phaser. Too weird/alien for me.

But I love their flange, trem, pitch effects, chorus, delay, reverb. It's not that boss is bad, it's just some of their products are more beginner friendly than anything else.

But I won't get rid of my boss term, delay or reverb, or my TU3 tuner their great.
Old 26th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
They're about as far from DIY as you can get... if it's good enough for Pete or David Gilmour...

Nice board!
I'm sure to to Pete they are DIY pedals.

I'd say te farthest from DIY pedals is something very appealing to the eye and made from SMD parts. I'm sure those pedals are hand made and designed by an a very very small staff. Like option 5 pedals USED to.
I'd say this is very close to DIY.
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear
My definition of DIY is you doing it yourself. Pete Cornish has been in the pedal business for over 40 years, so at that point it's not considered DIY...

If SMD is surface mount, I'm not sure that has nothing to do with whether things are mass or DIY. Otherwise, you'll have to throw all the boutique pedals into that category...

I'd also not lump Boss in with Behringer. one company makes a good product for the money and tends to come up with original pedals at affordable prices that work and last forever. The other company makes iffy products that "borrow liberally" from other company's designs and have horrible quality control.
Old 26th September 2011
Here for the gear

I'll agree about the quality control. Though I love boss I have has 2 of their pedals crap out on me though. Their compressor and a line selector. Both which get voided of warranty from using a one spot power supply. But what the hey. It happens.

I was saying the Cornish pedals appear to be closer to DIY than farther. They look like a metal box with cheap stickers and a hand punch label maker stickers on them. Nevermind what's inside. They appeared not to be made by a company at first.

DIY are usually hand made probably like his pedals. I'd say the "farthest from DIY" are cheap surface mount pedals made by industrial soldering robots. That's all I was saying.
Though those pedals are ridiculously huge, and all the video demos I watches didn't do them justice I guess.
Most the designa sound Too fizzy for my taste. Sorta Like a starved plate design tube pedal. Fizzy Like a butler tube driver esc tone.
I guess that's who gilmour uses it though
Old 26th September 2011
Here for the gear

Answers to various q's

1. Amp- 40w Fender CS Twin re-issue although I often run in Stereo woth a Cornell plexi 45/50
2. Money- classified!
3. CE2- cos it's still the best chorus I have heard- that's a very early one- MIJ steel knobbed and it's lush- also there's a little boost and thickness you get with a CE2 that nothing else has.
Old 26th September 2011
Here for the gear

Oh lastly- Pete Cornish

His pedals are what they are. They are big, but they drool tone and they are utterly noiseless and have the best buffers known to man in each one. Also, everytime you buy one, you make money in that you can flog them (if you want to) for a lot more than you paid. Although I have never done that.
Old 26th September 2011
Here for the gear

Are there long wait times? Is it like the axe efx units where people buy 10 of them and sell them marked up a few hundred dollars on eBay so people don't have to wait?
Just curious. I have never heard of them til yesterday.
I don't like the buffer debate much. Too many personalized opinions, price mark ups and science involved.
That's why I'm just gonna build a few on my bread board for my new pedalboard til I find what works well specifically for my guitars/pedals/amps.
Ya know? Im sure they are great !
But I've heard people buy pedals just to put them in their chain OFF and never use them cause they have great buffers.
Plus I got sick of tap dancing. So I'm trying to make it so I can control all my stuff up front. But I need to build buffers to put into my TB loop units.
Old 26th September 2011
Here for the gear

Any opinions on a delay rack unit for under 300? want to get a nice delay unit with tap tempo capabilities. And i figured rack delays might have more bang for your buck. MAYBE idk
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not a boss fan.. When I was young and didn't know better sure.

but I've had so many guys in my studio with boss pedals..and I do one test for them.. Let them get a gtr sound with amp/gtr and no pedal. Then plug the pedal in.. So many guys are shocked..That their sound falls apart.

Most of those guys would maybe get a sound wit the amp with the pedal just turned off.. But you're making decisions on the tone with the Boss coloring it..

Let alone even having it own.. once they see it screws up the sound just plugging it in.. The usually start buying new pedals..
And this no lie has happened at least 15 times..with players who really thought they had "Their Sound".. Months later I'd see them with new stuff and "Their Sound" was much better...
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwaldvogel View Post
Any opinions on a delay rack unit for under 300? want to get a nice delay unit with tap tempo capabilities. And i figured rack delays might have more bang for your buck. MAYBE idk
Used TC Electronic - there are several flavors around.

SPX90 - a bit gritty, but for guitar 12 bits can be find. Dirt cheap.
Old 27th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
Not a boss fan.. When I was young and didn't know better sure.

but I've had so many guys in my studio with boss pedals..and I do one test for them.. Let them get a gtr sound with amp/gtr and no pedal. Then plug the pedal in.. So many guys are shocked..That their sound falls apart.

Most of those guys would maybe get a sound wit the amp with the pedal just turned off.. But you're making decisions on the tone with the Boss coloring it..

Let alone even having it own.. once they see it screws up the sound just plugging it in.. The usually start buying new pedals..
And this no lie has happened at least 15 times..with players who really thought they had "Their Sound".. Months later I'd see them with new stuff and "Their Sound" was much better...
Hey, plenty of Famous people use boss in their chains without TB loops and sound great. Joe satrinani, joe bonamassa, Eddie van halen used a ce-2 in his rig. Idk if he still does but he did.

I've gotten more complements on my tone and never a single complaint unless I was playing metal and my metal tone wasn't grungy enough for them.
But If you plug it into GTR with a pedal it doesn't sound bad at all. I did it all the time. YES it sounds difference cause the impedance is changing. It goes from seeing your guitars impedance to seeing a much lower impedance.
It probably not bad with the boss pedal plugged in. They probably just notice it sounds different (loss of gain probably) with the pedal in the chain and see it as a negative change cause they are being told it a negative change.
Not at all bashing you.
I'm just saying if someone sculpts their tone to sound amazing with a few boss pedals present, it still sounds amazing. I think too many people think it's impossible to get good tone with boss pedals. When it's all about getting awesome tone with whatever we as indivuals like
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear
Many do use Boss, but that's the beauty of this forum - to each his own.

I've had my TU-2 tuner for years and it's great. Tonesuck? Possibly, but with multiple pedals after it my tone is fine. The Boss DD6 I own is OK for delay, but would like something that has more organic decays (being able to decrease not the overall level, but the slope of decay volume).

For me, I have the TU-2 in line; I've got all my other noisy tone-sucking pedals in 2 true bypass loops so that when I don't need them, they're not coloring the sound. Several are 25+ years old at this point and caps are probably drying out, so may need to find some sturdier replacements for gigging. Then again, my original, bought in '83 Ibanez AD9 still sounds as great as when I plunked down my hard-earned money at Star Music in NJ. It's just now a lot noisier and requires an adaptor to the 9V battery connector as the circuit board is cracked.
Old 27th September 2011
Here for the gear

I had problems with my TU-2 as well actually. It had "bouncy tuning," meaning I could tune well with it. And when my dad bought me my TU-3 for my birthday. I was happy lol
I'm a married man and my dad still support my pedal habits lol.

But other than mine, the TU-2 was great.
Old 27th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Many do use Boss, but that's the beauty of this forum - to each his own.

I've had my TU-2 tuner for years and it's great. Tonesuck? Possibly, but with multiple pedals after it my tone is fine. The Boss DD6 I own is OK for delay, but would like something that has more organic decays (being able to decrease not the overall level, but the slope of decay volume).
I like my dd6 but it's annoying to have for tap tempo. I bought mine like 3 months before the Dd-7 came out... Cue homer Simpson "DOUGH !!!"

But I just run it mono now mostly, left in tap mode in a TB loop so I can tap before I engage for my loud rhythmic delays.
I use my carbon cop for lush chorusy delays and for behind my leads sometimes.
I like to use my Dd-6 with my boss rv5 in modulated reverb mode
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear
Best delay for the money is the TC Flashback Delay, more modes, longer delay and loop w tap and also dual tap toggle at 1/4,1/8 or both, nothing gets close to it for the bucks and I have had few sound as good and lay in the mix as this puppy.

Boss, yeah, to each his own, too many buffers befuddles your true signal and Boss buffers leave a lot to be desired. As the guy said A/B your straight tone w and w/out it. Maybe one might not kill you but it's buffer is effecting your true tone. The best chain is a front end high end buffer and true bypass.

Mega board guy, seriously you cannot come up w a better chorus than the Boss?? I can think of like 5 right off that would sound far better. Empress, Red Witch, TC, Wampler, etc... A stocker Boss next to a Cornish, a Hartman or a Strymon, just seems like a picture of Alfred Neuman on your church altar next to that Nordic looking guy. It's like a WTF moment.

I had a few Boss in the past and at the time they sounded decent, I thought. Keeley and others definitely improve them from stockers. I had several Keeley mods and they were better but after a while the magic of Boss just seemed to fade for me. when I started learning more about buffers and loading I started being more conscious of bypass and high end buffer circuits.

I never could really dig that Boss DS-1 sound for my playing and even the Satchurator which is a better DS-1 circuit, just wore thin on me after a while. Boss opened the doors to modern pedal makers and were extremely cool in the day, but now, you could not give me a 2 for 1 on ones I have picked and chosen. Much less all the boutique designers out there these days, Boss is so cheap, and whether they are cool or not, like Behringer, and others I am not going to mess with $30 pedals. These guys running chains of Boss need to A/B their straight and loaded signal, the true sound of the guitar is not there and all those buffers are hiding, not fixing, any noise and issues in your signal.

Since I got into more boutique and better quality I never went back. I think the new Boss tuner is at least true bypass but honestly for the same money I'd go w the Hardwire tuner, either model. The Hardwire series is really nice for the money and they are true bypass with internal voltage ramp up. I have the Phaser and the Reverb unit is stellar Lexicon quality for a pedal.

As far as name people using Boss, not so fast might be a caution, Satriani's pedals were modified by Keeley when he used them. And really despite I love my guitar gods, let's face it, some of them are not rocket scientists and have no real idea about their gear. I have seen some old vets still using batteries. Some guys are so dependent on their techs I doubt if they could hook up their own rig. Some like that really old vintage stuff, as if 40 years has not altered anything.
Be my guest, as any of us know merely using the same old gear as your old hero is not going to make you sound exactly the same. LOL (pay no attention to that speaker cab...)

I like virgins and new tech myself. Of my 11 or 12 pedals on my board at present, and not one Boss, all true bypass, except for my real tube dist pedal and my front end Radial buffer pedal, each is there by way of constant tone tweaks and dropping replacing to better. I do not think I would replace anything at this point except probably my Qtron for perhaps the Xiotic model but I am not sure the Xiotic does a reverse envelope, no reverse no true Mutron sound.

It is true what sounds good for one may not be the trick for another but one thing I do know, an experienced player can make anything sound good, even a piece of crap, while a poor player never will. How many times have you seen these cats "demo'ing" (and I use the word loosely) on youtube, a really decent pedal but they adjust it all wrong?? My fav is always the high gain distortion pedals, how thin, fizzy and buzzy can you get? Crank that treble, cut the bass, lower the mids and of course play it through a tiny amp. Weeeeeeeee, washout fizz gain, ever see any of these guys adjust a Boss Metal Zone correctly?

The only real complaint I have heard and experienced myself with little Boss pedals is the effect they have on your true dry straight signal. I think they sound OK while on but they seem to like being single pedals as the buffer does not mess too much with you if there is just one and that is why they sort of get a more beginner status in my view. If I had one I would probably isolate it in a loop. Many always mention they do not have good buffers and for some reason they have never gone to true bypass wiring. You hook a series of not so great buffers in a chain and the real sound of your guitar gets befuddled.
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've got the TC Electronic Flashback delay and it's good but I think the Hardwire delay is more sonically engaging and varied in tones from it's different delay types. If I were to buy again I'd go for the Hardwire.
Old 27th September 2011
Here for the gear

The boss TU-3 Are not true bypass after all. though has a higher input capability for active pickups.

Also the hardwired series are not true bypass either. They are "hardwire bypass," which is something different involving the switching systems.

I like the flashback delay. I'd consider it. I kinda want my next delay to have midi an midi presets available to scroll through.
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortisol View Post
I've got the TC Electronic Flashback delay and it's good but I think the Hardwire delay is more sonically engaging and varied in tones from it's different delay types. If I were to buy again I'd go for the Hardwire.
I had tried that one and ended up returning it for a Roland DD-20 which I used for a period. Loved the presets on that unit but found it so difficult to adjust to my playing.
I cannot say anything bad about the Hardwire but it just did not seem to sound very natural and musical on my rig. I use a couple Hardwire pedals now and like them a lot, a really great sounding series of pedals.

The Flashback just sounds great on any mode and lays back in the mix really well, very natural sounding and organic to the sound. The Hardwire is perhaps a little more in your face. I do recommend someone just try out several delays and see which one works for you on the chemistry of your rig and touch.

One of the things I like so much about the Flashback is that it just sounds good no matter what it is set on and is so easy to dial in and adjust to your tone. Maybe it is just my combination of guitar/amp but it is a keeper for me. I have paid more and gotten less. I even tried the TimeMachine delay and it was OK and sounded good but no where near the mode options and versatility of the Flashback. The TC has like 8secs of delay and a 40sec loop plus a great sounding reverse. Once they release the toneprint editor one would be able to fine tune the pedal to suit anything one wants in regard to a delay. Many rave about its natural sounding tape mode. Hard to beat the 2290 or dynamic 2290 mode which ducks the delay while playing complex but lets it trail on pauses or stops. I also like the LoFi mode, and others which I end up using far more than the toneprint download which indicates the variance players have with delay choices. The 2290, tape mode and lofi are just the best sounding for me of any delay I have ever tried.

I do recommend one try one out on your rig before you ultimately decide on a delay. I'll bet you like it. I went through 4 units and ended up with the Flashback as my 5th unit.
Old 28th September 2011
Here for the gear

I don't like the audio tapping on the flashback, does it hVe a way of programming it for a external tap switch
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwaldvogel View Post
I don't like the audio tapping on the flashback, does it hVe a way of programming it for a external tap switch
There is no external tap jack. I actually like the new method it has over just stomping a switch in time. To tell you the truth I have not really been using the tap time set. I do know I had to look through the manual to understand how to use it properly. I am not playing with the band these days and that is where I mostly used the tap timing option.

Price on the Flashback has been reduced $30 on sale at ProGuitarShop, $130 is just a steal. You can pay a lot more for a delay but you'll have to keep convincing yourself it was worth the money. For all the modes and tone quality on this unit I have seen simple one mode limited analogs cost more.
Old 28th September 2011
Here for the gear

Tap tempo make or breaks the deal for me. I have to tap tempo changes mid song for rhythmic delays and need accurate delay tapping. That's why I settle for boss and Mxr, I hope to get rid of both for a time factor or a timeline eventually
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear
I am always amazed at how few read the specs or manual on what they buy.

Not only does the Flashback have a superior design in tap temp it is much easier and accurate to do. Hold it down and strum in time to your rhythm and presto, it is set. No other delay I know of does not have you stomping on a click switch like three times in tempo. Having had numerous ones like that, I cannot see how merely strumming a couple of chords might make life more difficult rather than just easier.

You can buy what you like and spend 2-3x if it floats your boat but in the long run the delay will not surpass the TC. I A/B'd like 4 of them and picked the DD-20 because of its presets, it was always a pain to adjust and never did really morph into the overall sound like the TC does. A great pedal and silly good for the money.
Old 29th September 2011
Here for the gear

Because I need change the delay tap differently than how I'm playing. If it went along with my playing it would repeat at the wrong time.
I don't feel it's superior in design, maybe for some. But it's not near as "on the fly," tap friendly.
There is a reason only a couple other companies have used audio tapping. If it had an external tap switch I'd start to think about it, but like I said, it's a deal breaker for me. Not that's it sounds bad. I just couldn't use it. It'd be a waste of my money.

I'm looking into the Seymour Duncan Deja vu, seems to have best of both worlds, awesome sounding modulation on the repeats as well as an insert jack for an effects loop on the repeats. Now that's a awesome delay pedal. So is the new deluxe memory man with tap tempo. It's legit and big sounding.
But I REALLY liked playing the Seymour Duncan today. I can mix the analog with digital sounds and it's not in a "weird," way either. It still saturates and sounds like a bucket brigade chip with a tad bit more clarity on the right setting. Or I can have full digital or full analog up front on the pedal. No weirs DIP switches that have functionality I wish I had on top of the pedal or anything. And an accurate footswitch available tap tempo.
I may wait for visual sound to release their "dual tap delay," that looks like a promising pedal as well. Can't wait to try it
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear
So how do you set time tapping while playing in a different tempo, why not just set the delay manually?? I used to use tap a lot in the band but these days I just have a trail delay about 440 and that does it for me.
Old 1st October 2011
Here for the gear

I dot do it in a different tempo. We have a song at 145 bpm I turn up the effected signal louder and keep my dry back then I tap on 2 cause the way the signal comes back and repeats is on beat but my dry playing would not be quite normal.
Beat one starts my dry playing beat 2 is where I tap and beat 3 is where the echoes commence. Audio tapping is weird to me. And if I play ever so slightly off the delay gets off rather than I myself catching up with the tap I tapped to the drummer
Old 1st October 2011
Here for the gear

What happens when you play quarters and need it to play back eighth notes? Or half notes?

For the money I'd probably buy the nova repeater instead
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear
Have you seen the new Nova Repeater Mod called the IB version TC has out?
It's a nice unit but still more than the Flashback and without the toneprint ability. At 8secs and 40sec loop it is silly good and currently on sale at PGS for $30 off according to my last email notice.

To each his own. I do not know of any modern delay unit that is actually bad, it just depends on what you like. If I were to seriously think about it and drop some bucks I would probably go with the Eventide.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search