The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
I don't know...
There was a company using them in an amp front end.
I don't blame you if you couldn't tell me,
but it appears as your buffer is a charge pump that ramps voltage up to the 25 volts and is based on a JRC072d? I can tell exactly by pictures. I was just curious. It appears there is another op amp in there too. Maybe the dual op amps are in parallel (4 op amps in parallel) similar to the AMZ superbuffer And it appears that the trim pot is wired as a master volume on the output?

Like I said don't blame you if you can't confirm
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

O nm just saw the maxim op amp. This things can handle like 35v can't they?
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Anyone try the HBE paul Gilbert detox eq.? I tried it and it seemed like a passive tonestack on an amp with a little makeup gain.
I actually was extremely disappointed
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
And if you only play in stadiums, arenas and stages that big, you too can play a 200 watt Marshall for clean sounds and have another Marshall for dirt. Just because a rock star with a major band can do it doesn't mean everyone should

As for those of use playing in bars, clubs or up to 400 people... 40 watts and under with a mic to the PA is still the winning ticket.

If you don't play out, then feel free to play whatever amp you want, however loudly you can without annoying family members, neighbors, etc.
I would even venture to a good sounding Vox Ac30 twin but that is as low as I would go, 40 would be fine, I tend to like 50s a lot. Just because you have the wattage it is not about turning it up to deafening levels. No one seems to be able to disconnect from the wattage equals loudness equation which is not true. The problems of piping to a PA are problematic to sonic physics, it is not about opinion it is just physics. If the singer is pushing the PA and the voice coil on the speaker is already extended and your signal wants a reverse polarity to that, then there is conflict in the sound and tone. A speaker cannot push and pull at the same time. Nor can it over extend its range of movement else the speaker coil blows. The mix and collage of sounds the PA is having to deal with lends itself that something is not going to sound as good as it would by itself. Piping little amps into the PA is not a good idea unless you have to. I would think it would be better to get your sound and use the PA for the band to balance out the mix.

A low watt amp can get way too loud it just does not have the depth and body of tone. Nothing wrong w 40-50 watts that to me is rather perfect. I love my 100watt head but it also clicks down to 50watt. I tend to use it on 100watt mode as to keep my tubes more balances and equal wear. I guarantee that my sound is not too loud and would sound fine in a club. My wife can stand in the room with it and has no problem.

I am talking about these little 5 watt and down to 1/4 watt amps with single often little 8" speakers. I understand many might think they sound great and fine at maybe a volume of 2 or to let them clip out and distort (which is not all that great a sound and is a one trick pony tone) but to reject wattage over a case of trying not to be loud is just not what watts are for. I doubt seriously if Frusciante is pumping 200 watts out of that amp at any given time, it just has such high wattage potential it is not going to break up and distort and can push really low tones without clipping.
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

I LOVE the el84 vox tone mixes with 6l6s
My tube amp guy made this little radio amp I wanna get a hold of, Its dirty and jangley like a ac30/15 and it puts out about 25-30 watts.
The cab I made myself, ignore the strip of vinyl that I had to reattach lol.

But the amp has 4 uncommon power tubes, nice Hammond output tranny.
I can pick it up for about 400, so I might lol. Idk the tubes I'll have to ask, a tad smaller than el84s
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwaldvogel View Post
I LOVE the el84 vox tone mixes with 6l6s
My tube amp guy made this little radio amp I wanna get a hold of, Its dirty and jangley like a ac30/15 and it puts out about 25-30 watts.
The cab I made myself, ignore the strip of vinyl that I had to reattach lol.

But the amp has 4 uncommon power tubes, nice Hammond output tranny.
I can pick it up for about 400, so I might lol. Idk the tubes I'll have to ask, a tad smaller than el84s
I wonder how he did that, I did not know you could mix power tubes, different transformers and separate voltage bias??
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

This guy Mike just posted this video on our FB page..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdMr...yer_embedded#!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
nice stuff - the Timmy seems to either be a new model or a modded one, as the mini toggle between the pots isn't on mine. I've also never used mine with all the knobs at 12:00, but to each his own.
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

By mixed I meant in a stereo setup through a mono/stereo 4x12 cab or separate cabinets, lol
sorry I should have elaborated.

This particular amp uses old uncommonly used tubes, for old Gigi gear or radios or maybe just outdated and uncommon. Smaller than el84s.

In this picture I was only using the radio amp to practice with. I prefer an amp to clip my high end more than my low end, so I run stereo in a 4x12 with a dirtier top end amp and use a cleaner 6l6 amp for my lower freq.
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hifi gear *
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
I wonder how he did that, I did not know you could mix power tubes, different transformers and separate voltage bias??
It's been done before - look at Egnater's Rebel 20, with a Mix knob between 6V6 and EL84's...
http://www.egnateramps.com/Reviews/R...ar_egnater.pdf

Don't know if it's being done the same way, but Egnater's take on it makes for an interesting amp.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
This guy Mike just posted this video on our FB page..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdMr9XpnoF4&feature=player_embedded#!

Yup, I'm convinced now, Got to get me one of those there Dr. Z Remedy's.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
I'm going for a tour of the Dr. Z factory in 2 weeks! Can't wait!
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

I like dr.z's, but I have an amp guy to build me almost anything I want lol, an probably for the same price as most high end tube amps lol

I want his blue meany. It's a Marshall preamp section running into 4 EL84s
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like dr.z's, but I have an amp guy to build me almost anything I want lol, an probably for the same price as most high end tube amps lol

I want his blue meany. It's a Marshall preamp section running into 4 EL84s
Try looking into Blockhead, A friend of mine has both a dual EL 84 one 12, that is simply outrageous, Pure Marshal vibe, brought me right back to being a 20 year old kid with my 100 watt full stack in 1969 and a larger full on plexi clone around 40 or 50 watts. Great Amps Arrowsmith has been using them for some time now.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have several amps that are EL84..
But I don't like EL84.. Like EL34 and 6L6 power much better.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear
I like all the flavors - 6V6, 6L6, EL84... why choose? Gotta say, there's something totally fun about the EL84-powered Mini Z. For recording, paired with a Bandmaster, the sound is fantastic.

I do love the fact that great amp makers like Dr. Z can take the Remedy -- which is a great take on the Marshall Plexi sound -- but using 4 6V6 tubes.
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

As of today I inherited (AKA traded for) the radio amp. It's got 2-12ax7s and 4 6aq5s? but the ones in mine are the military spec ones. 6005s ? Idk I gotta pull one out.
Which are are so uncommonly sought after that you can buy a sleeve of them on eBay for like 20 bucks.
They are cathode biased like a el84 so different tubes mean different flavor. And no biasing from a tech :-)
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear
very cool!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear
Whatever floats your boat or hurls it down the rapids.
Some of us like tubes for different reasons and some like lower wattage clipping and single speakers. But a little amp with low wattage using a single speaker sounding like or comparable to a decent half stack, not by the hair of my chinny, chin, chin. I would love to contrast an A/B comparison.

As far as recording, if I cannot capture my rig tones and my sound it is hardly useful for me. Going into a studio using their amps and setup is not anything I would be interested in doing. I prefer an Engineer who can capture the sound and tone as is.

For me it is a toss up between the 5881 and the EL34, I have gotten amazing tones from each clean and uber gain. It's hard to choose between them. right now I am running Mullard EL34s but I also like the Tung Sol EL34Bs. I ran some Tung Sol 5881s and they were delicious thick sounding. I prefer using JAN Phillips 5751s in my preamp stages lesser gain tubes with less propensity for fizzy buzzy gain. Just a better sounding combination for my tastes.
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

It's all about the speakers. The more speakers the bigger the potential for larger sound.

I love multiple 1x12 cabs cause I think it sounds fuller than a 4x12.
But it's not rational for me to drag it everywhere.
I actually have a plan to build a single 4x12 cabinet that is internally separated into 4-1x12 cabs each of them having a removable baffles to be closed, half, or open backed.

An ac30 sounds only like an ac30 until you run it into a different cabinet. Then it becomes another monster.

You wanna try running a plexi into a 1x12 cab with a single speaker like a ev12l or something that won't blow up?
It won't sound like a plexi, it will sound good, but lose the flavor everybody is so familiar with. Try putting some weber speakers in a marshall, AMAZING speakers, but what is a Marshall without greenbacks or vintage 30s or that celestion flavor? Still a Marshall, but NOTHING like your used to.

I disagree that low wattage amps sound thin and less than large.
I ran a 18 watt head into a 4x12 and it sounded just like a huge cranked halfstack.

I DO agree that if have a 1x8 fender champ or something mic'd up that it won't sound huge. Big but not huge
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear
My 4x12 is baffled and split into stereo. Best sounding one I have ever had.
Use what works for you and your purpose. I like open back twins as well but never really liked just 1 speaker. It is not so much what sounds bad as everything has its tone but there is always better tone. I am at the peak of my guitar rig right now after many years my tone is just delicious. I am always amazed no matter what I have in mind to create, that rig delivers.

Low watts sounds good, never been an issue, but without wattage the sound clips and breaks into dirt, just what it does and what it was designed to do. If that is all you want out of tubes then you have arrived at your destination. I like having the wattage headroom on tap. It does not mean I play at levels to peel the paint off the walls or crack them. It is just about tone. My amp breaks up when I want it to. I also like having master vol capability, not for the common use of gaining the preamp stages into to the power stage, but because the master is basically a level for the power amp section. I also tend to run lower gain tubes in my preamp stages which is an old SRV trick to throw more to the power tubes and generate less fizz preamp gain.

I've had all sorts of amps in my decades of playing and I had a lot of small amps in the day. The difference when I started using half stacks was so dramatic in depth and quality of tone I would never go back. It works for me and the way I have my rig setup it delivers whatever I want to conger up. I get recording specialty things but as I mentioned if I were to get back into recording again, I want my sound captured as it is I have no interest in playing through studio amps or little rigs for "recording". Not what everyone wants or likes, but like I say use what works for you. Some guys like that Keith Richards manor of playing through a crappy tape deck to get a unique sound, works for them. Some love those Champ amps. Just not something I want to do.
Old 21st September 2011
Here for the gear

That's how I used to think as far as recording, but now I'm picky as heck about mics/mic position and stuff live cause I dont want crappy tone
Old 21st September 2011
Here for the gear

Darkhorse what kind of amp and cab are you using? Is your cab straight or angled?
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
That's how I used to think as far as recording, but now I'm picky as heck about mics/mic position and stuff live cause I dont want crappy tone
Not sure anyone would. After playing 35 years I like to think I have learned a few things and improved upon my continual climb up Mount Tone. Everyone likes what they like and it would seem whatever they currently have is godhammer. I can look back on a lot of years of having, and not having decent gear, at no time can I point back to my past Marshall stacks, Fenders big and small or giant rack mount stereo 4x12 rig, and wished I could go back in time from where I am now. It was all a progression into what the best could I could afford, replacing the out of date with something not lowering my quality of playing that still delivered the goods.

I might eventually get back into the novelty of recording but in all honesty it not only seems more expensive than developing a decent rig it seems even more so ambiguous to a common ground of what to use or to even get started. Plus the conditioning of the sound room and the need to pursue frequency analysis to properly get the room to a decent quality for recording as mic use requires, is another multiplier to the cost factor. My wife is only going to allow me so much goof room and hobby money. She has already let me pursue my guitar habit far more than any other in my life.

I am sure the ideas I have in mind would be poo-poo'ed by some, opinions are rather infinite in all things. I would tend to just opt for a new decent Tascam multi-tracker and a combination of not too expensive mics and top shelf direct boxes and go from there. Proper tapping of the amp speaker line can yield a surprising level of tone that is so close to a mic as not to be funny. Most who heard my recordings never knew it was a speaker tap. Anyone should know there are limitations to anything you try, no matter what, a mic is not the human ear and there are infinite variables as to how to use them and what they capture and what they do not.

Recording is rather a goof of luxury these days, as I have been at the level before of having hundreds of hours of stuff no one will ever hear and that I never really went back and listen to myself. Seems simple to just power up and play and get it out of my system for a time. If I cannot capture the tones I am able to generate live than recording seems so much like a pointless adventure into trying to create something that cannot be played. There are many ways to approach recording and it would seem a lot of the time things are being created which cannot ever be properly reproduce in a live context without seriously cutting and reducing parts.

I love Jimmy Page myself and his work really gets you when you start to understand there are often 6 guitar parts in there, punched in and doubled, that you are never going to get. A lot what I love of Pagey is how he manages to cop the certain riffs of a tune to be done live and how there is a plethora of tunes you will never hear done live or can't be. How many times have we gone to see our heroes of tunes only to be rather disappointed at the live sound being so generic and unlike the recorded tones?
Old 22nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Edited for irrelevant things
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
We just have a 8 channel maudio interface, mackie monitors, and a waves mercury bundle that a friend shared a license for.
So I got a nice computer hooked it all up a Poof professional recording. Lol

I am a trained studio and sound engineer, I operate a huge yamaha mc7l at my church, a 30,000$ sound board and they sent me to classes for it. So I started mixing for my Friends and recording my stuff. And it sounds better than the recordings I Spent 900$+ on a few years ago lol
heh
Old 22nd September 2011
Here for the gear

What's heh?
Old 22nd September 2011
Here for the gear

I'm sorry were you disatisfied with my left out list of outboard gear? Haha I guess we are in
the gearslutz forum
Old 22nd September 2011
Here for the gear

What kind of amps do Guys play through? Cabs?
And do you guys use them dirty or clean? Both?
Also do you guys use effects loops/inserts? Or run straight intothe front end of the amp?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search