The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 21st August 2011
Here for the gear

Photos to follow
This is my pedalboard for the week as call it. I'm working on a 3 channel TB loop in my garage Which conserves ALOT of space and uses one less dc jack lol.
I'm also working on building a switch/patch box that allows me to flick a switch and go from using my pedals straight through and one with a send and return for my effects loop. Basically a true bypass looper with a hand flicked switch. And locking nuetrik jacks.
The box is a singld tube preamp with eq my Tube amp guy built. It's a bass/guitar preamp for recording essentially, but to me it's brings authenticity to the word "tubescreamer"

My chain is as follows guitar>boss TU-3>crybaby gcb-65?> Diy TB loop>>send>lovepedal amp 50>visualsound Jekyll and Hyde> Custom tube preamp>>return> morally volume plus>> into front of amp>>efx loop send>> DIY 2x true bypass looper input>send>>boss tremolo>danelectro coolcat chorus 18v version>>return>>Send2>> boss dd-6 delay left in tap mode>>return2>TB OUT> BBE sonic stomp>Mxr carbon copy delay> boss RV-5 reverb>> efx return.

Amps are a fender hotrod deville 410 and a 1960 plush royal bass 1060s
Old 21st August 2011
Here for the gear

Old 21st August 2011
Here for the gear

Old 21st August 2011
Here for the gear

Also my fender deville 410 has a diy volume pot in a box on top to tame the linear pots
Old 21st August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwaldvogel View Post

what's the mysterious box?
Old 22nd August 2011
Here for the gear

It's a tube preamp made by my tube amp guy. Idk a whole lot of the innards but it's kind of like a modified bass recording preamp with eq. the tonestack inside is a mashall/fender type eq circuit. The chassis is made from an old 2 channel stereo mixer. I believe its a single 12ax7
It's running high voltage though, no starved plate. It's got it own power cord
Old 24th August 2011
Here for the gear

Found out it's a bass preamp design by Kevin o'connor from London amps
Old 26th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Found out it's a bass preamp design by Kevin o'connor from London amps
Curious, what's the plate voltage?
Old 26th August 2011
Here for the gear

Couldn't tell you, a minimum of 120v I'm sure. That assuming the transformer inside is a simple 120v-12v tranny with CT
Old 26th August 2011
Here for the gear

The capacitors are huge and make quite a spark when you decharge them, I am hoping to try changing it from a 12ax7 to a 5751 this next week
Old 27th August 2011
Lives for gear
I use JAN Phillips 5751s in my preamp stages and like them. It does not really effect the preamp distortion characteristic but lowers the over all vol slightly allowing you to get more power tube tone. Gain is a often misused concept in guitar lingo. The lesser gain 5751 preamp tubes refer to the gain as in loudness amplification not distortion capability you can still gain up the preamp into distortion with them. In your case it might help to keep the preamp a little warmer and less fizzy while being able to turn it up a little more to drive the amp front end.

SRV was supposed to have done this on his amps to get more power tube saturation. They say you only need to put one in V1 but I have them in all three channel spots and I use 12AX7s in the loop drivers. I discovered after a lot of years of not really knowing that the master on a master vol amp feeds the power amp stage so running a higher master gets more power tube and the 5751s allow me to tame down the vol level on the preamp which results in less preamp distortion character and more power tube tones.

I have a real tube Ibanez Tube King which steps up the internal voltage to 100v, love that puppy, a great little distortion pedal with a lot of articulation and tone. Amps run like 400v plates and some other real tube pedals ramp as high as 200v, 400 in a floor pedal is a little scary. I am not opening my 100v one myself. It has a 12AX7 and I like the sound of it so much I have no plans to change it as I use it for higher gain distortion stuff. Great units those new Tube Kings so much better than the old gray or brown ones. They make an overdrive model but I have not tried it out. I love my new Wampler overdrive so much I have no need for it.
Old 27th August 2011
Here for the gear

I love the old GE 5751s. They seem to compress and round out tone. At least in a guitar amp.

I stack 3 gain sages together in a TB loop for my OD sound. I use a lovepedal amp 50 for for light broken up jangle/articulation, almost a darker vox tone. Then the ts808 half of my Jekyll and Hyde for a smooth OD and run it into my tube preamp that's almost light a lighter tube screamer. Though I will be switching the order of the ts808 and tube preamp.
Cause I think I higher gain stage tends to work better last.

I am in the process of building a DIY tiered pedalboard. With buffered input and output jacks mounted to the board from with looking nuetrik jacks. send and returns from my amp on front for my effects loop. And a tuner mute function
Old 27th August 2011
Here for the gear

Do you use the New red one?

I borrow a vintage tube king in a brown case for awhile. I liked that one quite a bit
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Do you use the New red one?

I borrow a vintage tube king in a brown case for awhile. I liked that one quite a bit
I have the red Tube King TK999HT $150, the new higher gain distortion model. They also make a white OD model. These are new circuit updates that step up the internal voltage to a 100v. I had one of the older Tube Kings ages ago and it sort of pales to the new one. I have not tried the OD model as I have the best OD already but for a mere $125 it is a deal.

I really like mine and despite my excursions into Wampler pedals I will always keep it around. It brings me some really great heavier Zepplin tones and ZZ tones. It comes with a EH 12AX7 which is not a bad quality tube, rated just under the Tung Sols I usually use. Despite the hype and bull about a lot of tubes, there is no reason to change out for another 12AX7 it will not change the tone. There is a lot of crap about different tubes.

Some of the new factories are putting out pretty good versions. The Tung Sol are all rated high. I recently got some reissue Mullard EL34 power tubes and they have been fine. I do think my favs are the Tung Sol EL34Bs. The 5881s were not bad either. The Tung Sol is rated higher for less chance of microphonics and touch better harmonics but it is not worth tearing into the ibanez unit, of which, no instructions for replacement are to be found.

I dig the Ibanez unit myself and for $150 I have paid a lot more and gotten a lot less. It also comes with a high current 12v 500mA supply, I think some have tried underpowering it buying it used and not paying attention and complained of the sound or it cutting out and such.
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
I love the old GE 5751s. They seem to compress and round out tone. At least in a guitar amp.

I stack 3 gain sages together in a TB loop for my OD sound. I use a lovepedal amp 50 for for light broken up jangle/articulation, almost a darker vox tone. Then the ts808 half of my Jekyll and Hyde for a smooth OD and run it into my tube preamp that's almost light a lighter tube screamer. Though I will be switching the order of the ts808 and tube preamp.
Cause I think I higher gain stage tends to work better last.

I am in the process of building a DIY tiered pedalboard. With buffered input and output jacks mounted to the board from with looking nuetrik jacks. send and returns from my amp on front for my effects loop. And a tuner mute function
Nice sounding tone stack theory. Have you heard of JHS electronics? They do mod's on the TS and Jekyl&Hyde unit that really improve them for few bucks. (JHS.com) I've tried stacks but never had much luck combining units. I tend to be sold these days on my Wampler Ecstasy drive, thinking about adding his compressor for a little front end fidelity and slight clean boost in front of the drive. I recently moved my Radial buffer/boost to the amp loop chain. I would like the hear the Wampler into the Ibanez Tube King OD model. That one is only $125 I am thinking about getting it mainly because it's real tube and a 100v circuit. If it sounds half as good as the heavier red one it is a deal.

I build my own boards, recently made a two level w the lower level tilted like I prefer. MY board is on #487. The upper level is mounted flat and has my amp loop chain. I have to have my pedals more in a line to be able to use them better. I cannot deal with the cramped loaded boards you have to toe into to get to switches, OK I guess if you have a switching system set up in front. Another wanna get for me is that Carl Martin Octave switcher block for my amp in chain.
Old 28th August 2011
Here for the gear

I think changing to different 12ax7s makes a difference, but it's more to response, background noise and odd order harmonics depending on brand. Like JJ and tung sols are my favorite. Very similar, jjs hVe tight bass and alot of high end but the tungsols seem to have better mids with a little less bass. In my experience anyways.

I like the way my tube preamp functions as a dirty EQ stage more than anything
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear
[QUOTE=Faderjockey;6953460]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post

Or you could pick up a B-Buff that we sell..If you can solder you can add it to a pedal to help drive cable length. All of our stuff is True Bypass.. But still lots of cable in between can sort of dull the tone.. So we made a B-Buff (buffer) that guys can install.. You can put in at the front of the chain or at the end. (I like it at the end). You can install it in a unit..So that's either always on. Or in front of the pedal circuit so it's only on when the pedal is on.. Or in the bypass section..
Some guys I know bought them and made them into there own pedals..Just so that had a quick on/off buffer.. It does remove the sound of the cable.. Pretty cool.
The Radial is a high end buffer circuit that drops the impedance to low and is always on. The switch is for an adjustable class A clean boost it has. Everything else I run is true bypass, except for the Ibanez tube unit which has a buffer circuit but not as good as the Radial. I also like the Lehle Sunday Driver and if I get another one I will go w that one. I have seen several models of internal add on pedal buffers, Barber makes a good one as well.
Old 28th August 2011
Here for the gear

My buddy chuck made an 8 loop switcher out of an old reverb tank chassis and a piece of sheet metal and bolts for the bottom. Used some hammertone paint a viola !
I wanna do the same but with buffered ins and outs I noticed some high end loss on my clean since I added a couple pedals recently so it's time to put a nice diy buffer at each end and put the tuner on a mute switch for me.

I am doing the tiered board the same exact dimensions as my pedaltrain pro but my tube unit and an alesis nanocompressor I have and want to use can go under the tier aloof with my power supply.
This also gives me an excuse to wire up a nice LED bar for under the edge of the tier :-)
Old 29th August 2011
Lives for gear
I have learned to make some really great cables these days and I could probably rig a decent patch bay. I have no savy to make my own DIY circuits nor would I trust myself trying to get some sense of quality.

I really like that Carl Martin 8 looper, there are other options but some are just way too expensive for me to deal with. Radial makes some decent no power bypass loopers but that CM has all the buffer possibilities and the way you can toggle the loops on or off to each switch is pretty cool. Certainly opens up the possibilities of further expansion without having too many pedals.

You will like the buffer pedal tone. I like the Radial a lot but for like $40 more you can go Lehle and it does not get better than that. Brian Wampler used to make a great buffer pedal for $100 but they are not made anymore.
Unlike most pedal buffers, right when I hooked up the Radial you could tell it lifted the loading and my guitar came back to its real tone and fullness. The cap load brings down your high end head room which many do not notice that much but when it comes back you really hear the difference even if you roll the tone down or use a hi-pass filter control. Just more there to the response and feel of the guitar. It got me using my tone and guitar volume more and god my tone is killer these days. I would never have believed I could get such great tone just using the tone a little and rolling off the vol slightly. Mike Fuller and Billy Gibbons got me doing that more and also going back and watching Pagey use his so much for tone changes. You get a little brainwashed into on 10 level especially on the vol control. I was reading in the recent GP where they were talking about fuzz face boxes and how Jimi would roll his volume off on a fuzz face and it got the best clean tones ever. I got this thick JCM800 tone tonight where it was heavy and dark and the gain of the overdrive was just wrapping around the notes, I could not stop playing. I credit a lot of that to the Wampler Ecstasy drive, just a great pedal.
Old 30th August 2011
Here for the gear

Brains wampler makes great pedals. He is active in the diystompbox forums I'm on and I have his book about modifying guitar pedals. Thats how I started building.

I'm excited that my new board will have a patch box with buffers in them and help my signal flow without capacitance problems. I WILL e building a SHO type pedal or mosfet type buffer for the front of my rig, the high input impedance brings life to any rig. I like the high input impedance but I need it to stay clean so I'll have to experiment on my breadboard and design something that works for me.
I have always loved the idea of having custom attributes to my tone that other people just can't 'buy' at the store.
Something people will have trouble copying
Old 30th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Brains wampler makes great pedals. He is active in the diystompbox forums I'm on and I have his book about modifying guitar pedals. Thats how I started building.

I'm excited that my new board will have a patch box with buffers in them and help my signal flow without capacitance problems. I WILL e building a SHO type pedal or mosfet type buffer for the front of my rig, the high input impedance brings life to any rig. I like the high input impedance but I need it to stay clean so I'll have to experiment on my breadboard and design something that works for me.
I have always loved the idea of having custom attributes to my tone that other people just can't 'buy' at the store.
Something people will have trouble copying
Tis' a cool thing indeed, and a savy a whole lot of players cannot do. You're over my head already. I can do great wiring and setups on guitars and make some really good soldered pedal cables but that us extent of my DIY range.

Brian is my fav builder, he really works to get and keep the real tone of the guitar. He spends a lot of time benching the designs and testing them. He just came out with a new distortion monster based on the SLO 100 Soldano tones. I think I am going for his compressor pedal next, I think that one would add something missing in my rig. I would like to try and refit all my pedals into a master board with some bypass looping sort of like a Bradshaw system but not sure I can ever get the parts or the savy to attempt it.
Old 30th August 2011
Lives for gear
Why build when you can buy...

PEDAL-RACKS custom pedalboard systems

Like the concept of his flip-flopper module, which lets you switch the order of effects on your pedalboard - nice.
Old 30th August 2011
Here for the gear

Cause I can build an effects order switcher check out Beavisaudioresearch.com
Old 30th August 2011
Here for the gear

Ive been cooking up LED plans for underneath the tier of my pedalboard as well. Gonna have a nice professional look and design.
My buddy is building me the tier entirely of thick aluminum (1/8"+ thickness) it's gonna attach to my board like so

Done on MS paint lol. First design and revised design plan I sent to him for the metal.

Old 31st August 2011
Here for the gear

Pedal board

Here's mine
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear
Nice pedalboard (esp. the El Capistan).

However, points off for a 5MB picture that is taking minutes to download over a T1 line...

If you don't know how to resize your images to 640 or at least 1280, use this:

Free Online Picture Resizer - Crop and Resize photos, images, or pictures online for FREE!
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Why build when you can buy...

PEDAL-RACKS custom pedalboard systems

Like the concept of his flip-flopper module, which lets you switch the order of effects on your pedalboard - nice.
Cool thanks for the link, I look forward to checking out the site, that is a new one for me. Why build, money I would guess, that is my issue, I have such a sparce budget these days. $200 a mo is my limit which inhibits a major purchase unless I deal with AMS or zZ which allow no credit financing payments.

I made my board out of wood for two reasons, cost me next to nothing and it is huge allowing for infinite expansion. I cannot do a lot of tech wiring and I would be paranoid to reinstall my effect guts into a custom panel, afraid I would screw them.
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

I agree with building it out of wood. Hey darkhorse if you ever want to venture into DIY, wiring an effects order switcher or a TB looper is hardly more difficult than a custom patchbay
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
I could probably do it but not sure I want to get that far into DIY. I know I cannot get close to something I really want like the Carl Martin.
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

No.... Me either. No presets on DIP switches For me. But an 8 channel tb looper or so would work dandy do I don't have to dance

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search