The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear
I was being facetious. I'd be concerned that unless you were very gentle with your foot in moving the "Y"-shaped wing to tweak a parameter, you could easily shear off the shaft of the pot. It's certainly not called

I prefer tweaking settings to match the venue during soundcheck, but also having multiple pedals for different situations:
Timmy, barber Direct Drive, Keely Fuzz - use one, several or all
Ibanez AD9, Boss DD6 - slap or longer echoes.
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Antix View Post
Tuner is used as a mute switch.

I used to run the whammy before the delay but I now want to whammy the delay feedback... i'd really like to have 2 of the delay units on my board, i'd put the other last in the signal chain.

I often switch my chain around cause i get bored and wanna try new sounds.

the custom cables i'm looking at getting are right angles and no soldering involved

haven't had much time to play with the small stone yet so i can't comment.
Interesting idea. I never thought of weirding out the repeats. My current delay pretty much sucks (500ms limit) and I am waiting on my new delay/looper pedal to arrive. I just bought several of the new TC Electronics line. I also got a new Q Tron Plus I cannot wait to mess with. You can get some really weird heavy funk fusion tones using that w different gains. The new Q Tron is a really useful platform w some new tech enhancements. Believe it or not my Small Stone is sounding great in the loop. It just did not like being in front of a dist or OD at all. The new Q Tron has an integration loop I cannot wait to toss some different pedals in there to see the effect.
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Interesting idea. I never thought of weirding out the repeats. My current delay pretty much sucks (500ms limit) and I am waiting on my new delay/looper pedal to arrive. I just bought several of the new TC Electronics line. I also got a new Q Tron Plus I cannot wait to mess with. You can get some really weird heavy funk fusion tones using that w different gains. The new Q Tron is a really useful platform w some new tech enhancements. Believe it or not my Small Stone is sounding great in the loop. It just did not like being in front of a dist or OD at all. The new Q Tron has an integration loop I cannot wait to toss some different pedals in there to see the effect.
i must admit... i've over whammying the repeats now... going to switch it back
Old 18th May 2011
Here for the gear

I might pick up a tc nova repeater cause my boss dd6 doesn't have external tap tempo. I like the modulation though. And with the newer dd7 I would have to buy a switch or make one foe the tap switch. So I'm just kinda wishing I had enough money for dl4.... WISHING.... Maybe I should try praying
Old 18th May 2011
Lives for gear
The new TC Flashback delay is pretty damn great for only $160. 6sec delay, like 11 modes plus the toneprint upload feature. Loop is 40sec mono, 20sec stereo. Tap temp is unique in that you do not stomp the switch in time but merely hold it down and strum a couple notes or chords. I recently picked up the DDL and the Chorus unit and have been very, very happy with them, the toneprint feature will open up the pedal for some great tweaking whenever they release the software to access everything this pedal has inside. For now you can download numerous patches created by TC and a noted player. Just gives the pedal another option of its already numerous cool capabilites. I am pretty picky about DDLs and have been through numerous ones. For $160 this puppy is amazing. The Chorus into the Delay is such a killer tone. I have just begun messing w the loop.

The 2290 mode TC delay has to be heard to be judged, its tape mode, lofi, and many others are the most musical sounding delays I have used. The DYN or dynamic 2290 mode dampens the repeats on busy complex passages and then lets them ring on pause or slow, pretty damn amazing for a simple delay. Also options of transparent true bypass (which Boss is NOT) or turn on the TC buffer circuit to clean up your noise floor if you run a larger board. Also option switch while in buffer mode to kill dry. Worth checking out believe me. A good buffer circuit front of chain or end or even both can really improve your tone, too many buffers or all true bypass does not sound the best. Bad buffers can befuddle your signal like having several little Boss units chained. I have upwards of 10 to 12 pedals between front of amp or in the loop and not one Boss among them. not that some are not good pedals, I just moved away from them, the Keeley or Analogman mods made them sound much better. For $200 Satriani's VOX timemachine is a great delay but does not have the features or delay time of the TC, plus no reverse or loop.

I also got the TC Mojo overdrive and despite all manner of adjusting it, it just wasn't an OD voice I liked so I sent it back. It does completely clean up like a clean boost but it is not the toneprint platform and does not have the buffer switch option which I could have used front of chain w a clean boost. I did not opt for the high gain model as the voice also sounded like something I would not like so much. At any rate the toneprint models are state of the art platforms and when they release the editor the options inside these pedals will floor you, can you imagine a pedal customized for your own personal wants and tone?
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear
New 2 level board and new pedal chain

My new board redo.
New 2 level board I made. Lower level is tilted as I prefer that slant for my wah and access. Upper level is moved back more level.
Upper level is amp loop.
Lower is amp-in line.

I have to have my pedals in a line else I just cannot reach the switches without losing my balance trying to toe into a little space and hit knobs. I am not hauling gear anymore so that is not an issue for me. I made this board large for future additions or easy order changes.
Power Suppy is a BBE SupraCharger and a special wart power strip in back for high voltage and higher current pedals, all feed from a Furman Power Conditioner including the amp main.

UPPER LEVEL: Amp Loop: (R>L)
Send>> Digitech Hardwire Phaser >>TC Corona Chorus>> TC FlashBack Delay>> Hardwire RV-7 Reverb>>> BBE Sonic Maximizer>> Return

amp loop and boost mod foot switches, amp channel select and front panel boost foot switches

Amp in:

Radial Buffer/Boost PB1>> Q Tron>> MXE CAE wah>> Wampler Esctasy Overdrive>>Ibanez Tube King>> Fulltone DejaVibe>> AMP IN
This allows me more options especially with my clean or high gain amp channels.

The Radial buffer really helps the chain sound great, the boost is an added option if needed. My chain is relatively noiseless, I am considering a noise reduction pedal but a bit confused on what to try. I am not a fan of Boss, as you can see 11 pedals and no Boss.

Loving the Wampler Ecstasy Overdrive, Sweet pedal. Exactly what I had been looking for in a drive. Price seems high at $200 but it is a 3 mode unit giving you 3 completely different diode configs, (every combination of a basic diode op am OD) that is only like $65 for each mode, not bad. This puppy is the drive I've been looking for. I could not stop playing it today, good sign of a versatile pedal. Love the up and mid position toggles, sounds like a Dumble up, a very tonal cleaner boost/OD mid, very clean to light dirt Hendrix, SRV. I do not like gainy drives, but cleaner more boost drive with some balls on the low end and tonal. The Ecstasy is aptly named, the tone controls on Wampler are exceptional, the treble is articulate and sparkle presence without being shrill or tinny, mids are balanced, no mid hump like an old TS circuit, bass is not muddy but warm, musical and rich. An extremely transparent overdrive that does not color your guitar or its real tone just enhances it, bloody perfect. I look forward to more Wampler pedals.

After many, many changes in position I ended up going back to all modulation in the amp loop except for the DejaVibe which I like on amp in but having everthing before the OD just does not work for me, just did not sound as good. Many like that tone but on my rig just does not sound as good. Phaser just sounded better in the loop, end of amp in chain was OK but trying many times before high gains or ODs and even my ubergain amp channels just was not a great sound. Loop gives me the distortion voices phased like the old phase sounds I always loved, more articulate after gains if you ask me or my ears.
Old 5th August 2011
Here for the gear

Rig re-build....all good stuff....sounding lovely.

Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear
Serious amount of money there...
How about some ID on some of the boxes? Some of us would be interested and the chain order, my eyes are not so good to follow the wires
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakey1 View Post
nice setup there. me likey
Old 7th August 2011
Lives for gear

a little messy, but i'm still tweaking it. gonna build a board soon too.
Old 7th August 2011
Here for the gear

My phone won't let me rotate photos

Old 8th August 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Serious amount of money there...
How about some ID on some of the boxes? Some of us would be interested and the chain order, my eyes are not so good to follow the wires

Chain

Guit>
Cornish LD1
Demeter Comp
P1
G2> tuner out
SS3
Timmy (only used as a boost/EQ on the Muffs)
Prov Looper to
L1 Flanger and Trem
L2 Chorus
L3 Lex
L4 Cornish LD1 to Rack send and return> MXR Delay and IPS33B on a switcher
Prov out to
TES
Amp(s)

Hope that helps.
Old 8th August 2011
Here for the gear

Any suggestions on what I can do to improve my set up, or organize it to make room? I kind of few I should have bought a bigger pedalboard, now that I want even more pedals :(
Old 9th August 2011
Here for the gear

My current Board

Keeley Overdrive<Walrus Audio Voyager<Tim Clone<Gatekeeper Fuzz<Ibanez TC10 Twin Cam Chorus<Keeley Modded Boss TR2 Tremolo<Boss HR2 Harmonist<EHX POG2<Boss DD6 Digital Delay<Boss RV3 Digital Reverb/Delay<EHX Cathedral Reverb< EHX Stereo Memory Man< Boss TU2 Tuner< Ernie Ball Volume Jr.
Old 9th August 2011
I haven't actually had all mine out for a while so I grabbed them and took a snap today. It's not a big collection but all pretty good quality stuff. I'd still love to get the rest of the Effectrode pedals, and a couple more Red Witch pedals certainly.
Old 9th August 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnjawn View Post
Any suggestions on what I can do to improve my set up, or organize it to make room? I kind of few I should have bought a bigger pedalboard, now that I want even more pedals :(

Yes- shove the Whammy and wah in a looper as they both suck tone
Old 11th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Chain

Guit>
Cornish LD1
Demeter Comp
P1
G2> tuner out
SS3
Prov Looper to
L1 Flanger and Trem
L2 Chorus
L3 Lex
Prov out to
TES
Amp(s)

Hope that helps.
Thanks, I always see something I cannot make out or something new. Killer rig.
How does one run across those Pete Cornish custom jobs?
Old 11th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnjawn View Post
Looks like your rig is close to what I would do. Whammy I would put first in chain and the OD before the Rat although does not matter if you do not use them at the same time. I like the option of an OD before a gain to push it a little more. I would have the Whammy mod'ed to true bypass (see JHS below) and move the tuner to run off the whammy direct out feed, that way you have the tuner front of chain and out of the loading.

I had a Whammy for a long time, used it more the cool harmonizer modes it has. Needs to be more first in chain. True it is not a bypass box but not all buffer pedals are bad (Boss), too many of them can be. JHS does a mod on the Whammy for not much, changes a few things and makes it true bypass, might be something you would like (JHS.com). Good to use isolation switchers on boxes to get them out of chain.
A lot depends on your guitar type, style and amp interactions when it comes to pedals. I have been messing with boards for more years than I care to recall.
I follow this order after countless trial and error even if it not what the guy down the street does or likes.
-1st in chain: I like having a good buffer pedal with all true bypass.
I use the Radial PB1 which is not that expensive but super quality, makes everything after it invisible to loading or cap loss.
Be aware some old fuzz boxes and a few things do not like a buffer low impedance feed so once in a great while you need to put something before the buffer pedal. Right when you plug in the Radial buffer the guitar sounds like straight into the amp. Great box, the Lehle is amazing also but a little more.
The Radial also has a nice switchable and adjustable clean boost if and when you need one.
(Note about tuners, having one in line is OK if you have to but some are not true bypass and you do not want to leave the tuning circuit on while you are playing. I keep mine out of line as I tune up before power up and my guitars hold tune very well. A hint for you, use the direct out feed from your Whammy to the tuner and presto, tuner, but out of chain!)
Next:
-Envelope Filters, or pedals requiring signal trigger to work properly. I put my Whammy up front for better tracking. I discussed this with Digitech. This is a monophonic filter, single notes, some guys try to play chords through it and think the tracking glitch burble is a product of its tone. (They have a new model out that is polyphonic trying to compete with Morpheus and the POG technology.)
-Compressor: option after wah, never after dirt, unless it is a Wampler that can tame the signal (has a blend control).
-WAHS
-Overdrives (have to have mine before any higher gain pedal, after- changes the voice of the distortion. (One reason I dropped the VS Jekyl&Hyde, separate great but both on and you have to adjust for a together tone. JHS works on those as well. After a higher gain is also Ok if you are just trying to smooth out the distortion on the high gainer.)
-High Gain Distortions
-Vibe if you use one. Some players like running everything into an OD, does not sound that good to me. My DejaVibe sounds best on amp in after dirt. Here gives me both options as into a gained amp channel sounds best.

Amp Loop: All modulation except for Vibe. Phasers and Chorus all sound better to my ear in the loop after all preamping and dirt. More headroom, more sweep and just better fidelity.
Some like that phaser into dirt thing trying to mimic EVH but Eddie did not use a box and I think only MXR sounds decent in a before mode. I just do not like it, modulation into OD or dirt befuddles the sweep and range of the effect, might sound good to some but not really musically versatile as in the loop. The true EVH tone is Phaser into killer Marshall. The old amps did not have loops.
Loop order send: (Phaser, Chorus, Delay, Reverb)
A BBE sonic maximizer or any noise reduction usually last in chain last in loop. I love the BBE myself, kick that on clean or after dirt and you will like it. Great enhancer.

A hint I recently discovered myself, how I missed it makes me feel stupid: if you have a master volume amp, turn up the master more (about half or a little more) and use the channel vol to to control the volume level. The Master controls the power amp feed and you get more power tube tone with it up. Running high channels into low master gives a lot of harsher preamp distortion.
Old 12th August 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks, I always see something I cannot make out or something new. Killer rig.
How does one run across those Pete Cornish custom jobs?

Not sure what you are asking re PC. However, the TES was a 3 year job of waiting!!

I have just ordered an ST2 (Colorsound PB CLone) and an NG-2 Fuzz (which is decribed by pete as amp death pedal!!)

I also have a Stereo Super Chorus on order from him but that's due early 2012.

I shall re-build next week and post.

Re the Cornish boxes overall, you have no idea how much his buffers will make a difference. Invest in a £200 LD1 and your rig will be transformed, however good it is now.
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Not sure what you are asking re PC. However, the TES was a 3 year job of waiting!!

I have just ordered an ST2 (Colorsound PB CLone) and an NG-2 Fuzz (which is decribed by pete as amp death pedal!!)

I also have a Stereo Super Chorus on order from him but that's due early 2012.

I shall re-build next week and post.

Re the Cornish boxes overall, you have no idea how much his buffers will make a difference. Invest in a £200 LD1 and your rig will be transformed, however good it is now.
Oh I believe you. I am a believer in having a good buffer pedal up front. I like the Radial as it was easy to get and has an adjustable boost. I almost went with the Lehle Sunday Driver. Both are really good quality buffer circuits. Right when you plug in that buffer, your tone just sounds like straight into the amp, all sense of loading is gone. I wanted the Wampler buffer but Brian stopped making them.

Pete Cornish is a legend. I first remember him from the boards he made for Gilmour. I envy your ability to afford them and your patience. I just do not have the budget anymore these days to get mega dollar gear. I do the best I can. $200-250 is about my limit on pedal if I try to save up my wife will find a use for the money.
Old 18th August 2011
Here for the gear

Heres mine
Although I plan on adding to it alot, maybe gonna have to buy another pedaltrain!

Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear
[QUOTE=greengiant16;6947851]Heres mine
Although I plan on adding to it alot, maybe gonna have to buy another pedaltrain!

It's very easy and cheap to make your own board. I always had a hard time finding a fabricated board big enough for growth and the issue I have w making a board too compact. I need my pedals more in a line to get at them better. I cannot keep my balance to try and toe into a small space to hit a switch without hitting knobs. Having a switching block helps but that is also more room.
I built my latest board out of higher end birch plywood 3/4" with an under 2x2 brace screwed and glued at the contact point w the floor. I also put a 2nd level shelf for my amp loop chain. The lower level is tilted as I like that angle for my wah and access. When I bought the wood I had it cut at the store and I did not have to make any cuts at home. Just glue and screw it together and paint with a flat black (spray not recommended). I think this last one coast me w paint, screws, glue and everything around $30. The board is so strong you can stand on it (not the shelf of course).

My advice on pedals, is look for more true bypass or get some mods done to the Boss and Crybaby. There are a lot of mod builders out there like Keeley and JHS who vastly improve stock pedals. Some do the Muff as well making it a by pass for very little bucks really if you like the sound of what you have it will vastly improve the stock pedals. I moved away from Boss and EH over the years. Boss is not true bypass and all those not so great buffers muddle the signal and hide a lot of noise and ground loop hum that might be present from daisy chaining power supplies. Ideal config is a buffer first in chain and true bypass (sometimes a sandwich of a buffer first and last). Note the Radial PB1 I have, it is a great buffer that lifts the load on signal making everything after it basically invisible to loading. I do presently have a EH Q Tron but I plan to change it out for an Exotic unit.

Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Chain

Guit>
Cornish LD1
Demeter Comp
P1
G2> tuner out
SS3
Prov Looper to
L1 Flanger and Trem
L2 Chorus
L3 Lex
Prov out to
TES
Amp(s)

Hope that helps.
Say, what is that amp w the (looks like) 2x12s?
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaclypse View Post
a little messy, but i'm still tweaking it. gonna build a board soon too.
how do you like that SourceAudio Dist?
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:

This has got to be the highest dollar rig I have seen on this thread. Was it nice winning the lottery? Man, a tweed board, wow...
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGeek View Post
i just added a modded crybaby to my board. I got rid of the buffer circuit and added a true bypass. LOVE IT!!! I also added an LED so I know if its off.

I think I'm going to true bypass all of my effects. I never knew it could make that much of a difference.
True bypass is very important. Seems like it takes a player a few years to come to the importance of cables, by pass quality of the pedals and a better power supply. The difference in ones tone is immediately apparent. The best pedal chain methodology is buffer, all true by pass and sometimes a buffer on the end of the chain.

My tone drastically came alive, like straight into the amp when I put a high end buffer pedal 1st in chain. It changes the impedance to low and makes everything after it pretty much invisible. (Note old fuzz pedals do not like impedance change) Too many not so great buffers (like little Boss and CryBabys) will muddle your true tone and the real sound and response of your guitar. I am using the Radial PB1 but I also like the Lehle Sunday Driver. The Radial was a plus for me as it has an adjustable clean class A boost. Soon as you hook it up the buffer just lifts the load off the signal, brighter, cleaner, more range and full and responds to other pedals better. You hear the wood coming into the tone like never before.
Old 19th August 2011
Here for the gear

I used to have a boss tu-2 first in the chain but recently changed to a TU-3. Anybody use this and Brice any difference in the buffers?
I haven't played with anything yet. Always using the tuner first.
Anybody notice I it's better? It's supposed to be more friendly of today's "hot" pickup design. I'm assuming a higher input impedance.
But looking for opinions on it?
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
how do you like that SourceAudio Dist?
I think its great. Definitely unconventional and unique, but ive got songs where it works perfectly. source audio's customer service is excellent too. I somehow broke the first one I had, and they sent me a new one immediately.
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwaldvogel View Post
I used to have a boss tu-2 first in the chain but recently changed to a TU-3. Anybody use this and Brice any difference in the buffers?
I haven't played with anything yet. Always using the tuner first.
Anybody notice I it's better? It's supposed to be more friendly of today's "hot" pickup design. I'm assuming a higher input impedance.
But looking for opinions on it?
I believe one of the improvements of the TU-3 was true by pass to compete with others, as most Boss pedals are buffer circuit pedals which arguably are not all that great. Chaining several Boss with all those little buffers can really muddle your signal, also Crybabys which also tend not to be bypass on the std stock models.

I tend to keep my tuner out of line just because it's just another set of jacks and wires to have to pass through. The ideal combination of true bypass and good buffer circuits is the best chain. Preferably having a buffer 1st in chain and last in chain is the best sandwiching bypass in the middle. There is a huge difference in using the buffer in a little Boss verses a high end buffer like the Radial PB1 or the Lehle Sunday Driver. As soon as you plug one of these in you notice the immediate lifting of the signal load on your guitar. I tend to run a large board and of the maybe 12 pedals I have none are Boss. Just moved away from them.

The TU-3 tuner is probably OK especially if it is true bypass. Hardwire makes a good one also in polyphonic model and TC Electronic all for $100. They say the best tuners are the Strobe tuners but they cost more. As far as in line, if you have to, you have to, I used to run my tuner off my Whammy direct out when I had one that kept it out of the direct chain. These days I just tune up before power up and they stay in tune pretty much for as long as I play. Those Spertzel locking tuners are great.
Old 20th August 2011
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=darkhorse;6949553]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengiant16 View Post
Heres mine

It's very easy and cheap to make your own board. I always had a hard time finding a fabricated board big enough for growth and the issue I have w making a board too compact. I need my pedals more in a line to get at them better. I cannot keep my balance to try and toe into a small space to hit a switch without hitting knobs. Having a switching block helps but that is also more room.
I built my latest board out of higher end birch plywood 3/4" with an under 2x2 brace screwed and glued at the contact point w the floor. I also put a 2nd level shelf for my amp loop chain. The lower level is tilted as I like that angle for my wah and access. When I bought the wood I had it cut at the store and I did not have to make any cuts at home. Just glue and screw it together and paint with a flat black (spray not recommended). I think this last one coast me w paint, screws, glue and everything around $30. The board is so strong you can stand on it (not the shelf of course).

My advice on pedals, is look for more true bypass or get some mods done to the Boss and Crybaby. There are a lot of mod builders out there like Keeley and JHS who vastly improve stock pedals. Some do the Muff as well making it a by pass for very little bucks really if you like the sound of what you have it will vastly improve the stock pedals. I moved away from Boss and EH over the years. Boss is not true bypass and all those not so great buffers muddle the signal and hide a lot of noise and ground loop hum that might be present from daisy chaining power supplies. Ideal config is a buffer first in chain and true bypass (sometimes a sandwich of a buffer first and last). Note the Radial PB1 I have, it is a great buffer that lifts the load on signal making everything after it basically invisible to loading. I do presently have a EH Q Tron but I plan to change it out for an Exotic unit.

Or you could pick up a B-Buff that we sell..If you can solder you can add it to a pedal to help drive cable length. All of our stuff is True Bypass.. But still lots of cable in between can sort of dull the tone.. So we made a B-Buff (buffer) that guys can install.. You can put in at the front of the chain or at the end. (I like it at the end). You can install it in a unit..So that's either always on. Or in front of the pedal circuit so it's only on when the pedal is on.. Or in the bypass section..
Some guys I know bought them and made them into there own pedals..Just so that had a quick on/off buffer.. It does remove the sound of the cable.. Pretty cool.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search