The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear
I use both for gigging, as both have their advantages. They are both very quiet, biggest difference really is the ease of having the TB loop switch and 2 delays/reverb in the main board. I like having a light on stage as well.[/QUOTE]

Bloody amazing rig!! I have about 2K in my humble board, but this is lottery money!
Thanks for showing it, I get ideas from all these boards. I will never reach that level with the lottery but it is nice to see superior quality as an ideal.
Old 21st March 2011
Gear Nut

How do you like the Polytune compared to the Turbo Tuner? I've very happy with my TT but have always been curious about the Polytune.
Old 22nd March 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjazz View Post
How do you like the Polytune compared to the Turbo Tuner? I've very happy with my TT but have always been curious about the Polytune.
I like both. They both work very well for me, I could put either of them on the other boards w/ no complaints. Some people a biased towards the TT, but for me, they both work equally well.
Old 22nd March 2011
Lives for gear

This is my way to big but can't let go of anything board..

I have several drive pedals, keely comp, 535Q wah, and then a tc elec. Nova sys. I use the nova for recalling all my delays and tempos . The voodo labs switcher and controller sends midi to the pedal switchers and the tc nova for one button exact tone recall.

It's a pretty sweet setup but I'm thinking of getting the eventide time factor to replace the nova
Old 27th March 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arichlsss View Post

This is my way to big but can't let go of anything board..

I have several drive pedals, keely comp, 535Q wah, and then a tc elec. Nova sys. I use the nova for recalling all my delays and tempos . The voodo labs switcher and controller sends midi to the pedal switchers and the tc nova for one button exact tone recall.

It's a pretty sweet setup but I'm thinking of getting the eventide time factor to replace the nova

At least your feet are small and you have no trouble getting to the switches!

Do you like the Jekyll&Hyde?? I just could not get into the OD after high gain, it changes the dist voice. I dig the OD in front of higher gains really gives you enhanced dynamics and does not screw up the dist voice. I can tell you one thing that impressed me about Visual Sound, those puppies have a excellent buffer circuit. I wish I would have kept the Route 66 I had, that was really a sweet pedal. The Liquid Chorus is a really nice chorus pedal as well.

I have like 14 pedals and I struggle to remove any of them. I plan on getting some bypass loop isolators on the next go that way I can run different loops and keep them out of chain when not used.
Old 27th March 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnepo1 View Post
I like both. They both work very well for me, I could put either of them on the other boards w/ no complaints. Some people a biased towards the TT, but for me, they both work equally well.

Does the TC PolyTune allow you to tune Eb? Hardwire also has a new Poly unit out. I sort of like adjusting each string by itself as they tend to interact in tension. I have my eye on the strobe tuner unit.
A tip for some on tuners, just because some are true bypass, having another box in the chain still works to load your signal. I got into using a spare out from any of my boxes (currently the dry out on the Whammy) to feed the tuner and keep it out of line.
Old 27th March 2011
Lives for gear
"I use both for gigging, as both have their advantages. They are both very quiet, biggest difference really is the ease of having the TB loop switch and 2 delays/reverb in the main board. I like having a light on stage as well."

GD! That is the most amazing board system ever!!! Run out of lottery money yet?
Old 28th March 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Does the TC PolyTune allow you to tune Eb? Hardwire also has a new Poly unit out. I sort of like adjusting each string by itself as they tend to interact in tension. I have my eye on the strobe tuner unit.
A tip for some on tuners, just because some are true bypass, having another box in the chain still works to load your signal. I got into using a spare out from any of my boxes (currently the dry out on the Whammy) to feed the tuner and keep it out of line.
Polytune works just fine tuning to E flat. The Polytune is buffered so there is no issues w/ tone suck.

If interested, I have a 4 loop true bypass switch w/ a tuner out if you are interested. PM me.
Old 28th March 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
"I use both for gigging, as both have their advantages. They are both very quiet, biggest difference really is the ease of having the TB loop switch and 2 delays/reverb in the main board. I like having a light on stage as well."

GD! That is the most amazing board system ever!!! Run out of lottery money yet?
I have several TC Electronic effects that are on my boards that I've had since they first came out in the 80's. They are still in excellent working conditions, so I still use them on my board, and the sound quality is tremendous. I really don't have any extremely expensive stuff on my board, yeah some are $200+ when first purchased, but I'm not big on buying and selling pedals. I usually stick to something that I like the sounds they produce.
Old 29th March 2011
Lives for gear
Pedalboard at show

Fancy shot taken by photographer when we played 2 weeks ago - great show.
Old 29th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Fancy shot taken by photographer when we played 2 weeks ago - great show.
great looking board!
Old 30th March 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benlittlejohn View Post
great looking board!
Thanks! It's been 28 years in the making - bought the Ibanez delay in '83, the chorus in 87, wah in '90, etc. When you only buy a pedal every other year, it doesn't add up so quickly.
Old 1st April 2011
Here for the gear

Need some help!

I don't have a pedalboard yet, but am thinking of getting one for my birthday. I'm not skilled enough to build my own, so I wanted to hear everyone's opinion on buying a PedalTrain. I'm either looking into getting a PT-2 or PT-Pro.
I used PedalboardPlanner.com - Plan your Perfect Guitar Pedal Board! to see what my pedals would look like on a PT-2.
I think it could suffice, but I don't know anything about the order of the pedals. Anybody care to chime in?
Old 1st April 2011
Lives for gear
I'd put wah or tuner first, then rat, then fuzz factory, phase 90 and then whammy and delay. Someone who has a whammy could speak better as to its placement in the chain.
Old 1st April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
I'd put wah or tuner first, then rat, then fuzz factory, phase 90 and then whammy and delay. Someone who has a whammy could speak better as to its placement in the chain.

I agree basically on that chain. Tuner 1st, (problem w Boss is they are not true bypass and it is just another box in your chain, there is an easy fix for that.)
WAH, WHAMMY (Dry out from Whammy to Tuner, out of chain, works extremely well), Rat, Fuzz Factory (could go either, man likes his fuzz, no OD??) Phase 90, Delay. (Phase 90 can work in front of dist if you like that sound, Delay should go in loop if you have one,) You might also try a decent buffer pedal front of chain.

Whammy if used as a harmonizer should go before gains, running a fuzz into it befuddles tracking. If you intend to use it for the usual weeeeoooo effects you can run it after but you just have to try it, some fuzz does not like complex signal and the Whammy does not like crappy signals, but it will track octave shifts.

It works either way. but if you like the harmonizer modes, like I more so use, then tip from Satriani, put it before OD or gains. Diigtech recommends more front chain for tracking signal. I've tried all positions before and after ODs and gains, mine sets after the VOX JS wah 2nd in chain and the dry out feeds the tuner without returning. The harmonizer effect sounds really good into an OD or gain or gained amp channel. The unit also has a rather cool counding detune effect that works like a chorus, the shallow mode is very musical also works before or after gains. YOu just have to try things as all interactions are different to amp and guitar and others in chain.

This unit has a unigue pitch shifter/harmonizer quality that is pretty cool and does not require you select a key. Monophonic tracking of course, does a killer 4th/5th up or dwn into an OD or gain pedal, nothing else does it. A real head turner during a solo sounds like a really wicked Jeff Beck sort of tonal whack. A Boss Pitch Shifter is a play in a set key device and is more accurately a pitch shifter but as a harmonizer the Whammy is pretty cool. Of course you can do that weeooooo thing as well. I recently watched Gilmour use his in a way so unique, he used the std 8va shift up but moved it very slowly during the solo to push the solo range up an octave on a sustained note, played in the higher register then slowly back down to std pitch on a sustained note, it was every dramatic and moving, nothing can really do that like a Whammy. It is not a wah pedal so don't get it and start rocking the pedal. That weeeeoooo fast weird tone gets old after a while, the pedal has other uses.
Old 1st April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
I have several TC Electronic effects that are on my boards that I've had since they first came out in the 80's. They are still in excellent working conditions, so I still use them on my board, and the sound quality is tremendous. I really don't have any extremely expensive stuff on my board, yeah some are $200+ when first purchased, but I'm not big on buying and selling pedals. I usually stick to something that I like the sounds they produce.
I admire your sense of keeping things. I had a couple of those older Dist Boost pedals way back, I dig TC, great quality gear. I love that big floor unit they have. I am very fickle, seems like I am revamping things every few months. Gain is trying out new interesting tones, loss is losing some good pedals you might miss down the road. I love the way you ran your cables and wiring, tremendous source of ideas and got me making my own cables, I am working on making some elevation blocks like you used really sharp insights.

FYI to everyone: the new TC Electronics pedal line is bloody amazing, around $130, absolutely killer units and superb quality. The Delay has some amazing features, one mode actually mutes down the repeats while playing complex and fast and then lets the delays trail on stops and breaks, major coolness! Nothing but raves on the Chorus, Flanger and other units. Has a "toneprint" feature that lets you download "artists" settings into the units as a mode patch. Pretty cool and unique pedals.
Old 1st April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Polytune works just fine tuning to E flat. The Polytune is buffered so there is no issues w/ tone suck.

If interested, I have a 4 loop true bypass switch w/ a tuner out if you are interested. PM me.
Cool bypass switcher on the priv message, I am waiting for my budget to come out of the black hole later this month. Even true bypass loads and caps signal. Every 1ft of cable and jacks in/out adds to the load. One reason the bypass isolation loopers are so nice. I use a fair amount of pedals for tone options and my signal is pretty good compared to normal but I want to isolate everything and put a decent MI Audio or Wampler buffer 1st in chain.
Old 2nd April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
At least your feet are small and you have no trouble getting to the switches!
Come on, that was just plain funny!
Old 10th April 2011
Gear Head

my rig

here is mine, its a bit of a mess- I am in the process of moving things around, I have added at TC1210, and the pedals are now in the rack to save space-
Old 11th April 2011
Lives for gear

The problem with the whammy before the fuzz is that the fuzz probably won't like the signal it sees from the whammy. I should be clear. I'm not just talking about the harmonized signal. The issue is the bypassed tone on the whammy (which is not true bypass). I don't know if it is an impedance issue or not but my germanium tone bender sounds terrible when chained after my whammy (again, even when the whammy is bypassed). Consensus is that transistor fuzz tones tend to be quite sensitive about what's in front of them.

That said, I don't hear anything strange when I run my big muff after the whammy pedal. As always the rule is: experiment with your signal chain.
Old 11th April 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
I don't know if it is an impedance issue or not but my germanium tone bender sounds terrible when chained after my whammy
Very likely to be an impedance issue - many fuzz pedals doesn't work with any kind of buffer in front of them

/megl
Old 12th April 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks Darkhorse! I got my pedalboard in, and set it up, but don't know if I did the best job with everything.

I have a question about the zVex Fuzz Factory. I bought a 1spot to go along with the pedal board, and read in the manual that all zVex pedals require the CBAT adapter, which I have. The main problem now is how do I use the adapter, and close the back of the pedal?
Old 13th April 2011
Lives for gear

here's my latest additions to my board... I'd like to point out what a bitch it is to wire up a board when you're left handed... pedals are designed to flow from left to right! first time I wired it up I was tripping over my leads. Maybe I need a wireless system!

custom cables are next on the shopping list.
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
The problem with the whammy before the fuzz is that the fuzz probably won't like the signal it sees from the whammy. I should be clear. I'm not just talking about the harmonized signal. The issue is the bypassed tone on the whammy (which is not true bypass). I don't know if it is an impedance issue or not but my germanium tone bender sounds terrible when chained after my whammy (again, even when the whammy is bypassed). Consensus is that transistor fuzz tones tend to be quite sensitive about what's in front of them.

That said, I don't hear anything strange when I run my big muff after the whammy pedal. As always the rule is: experiment with your signal chain.
Yeah, it's the fuzz circuits, they do not like a lot of pedals in front. I do not use any fuzz units. I have a Satchurator and an Ibanez Tube King TK999HT and it sounds amazing on 4ths/5ths or 8vas. Running an OD into the unit is fine but my high gains sound better after. I have tried the unit after gains, I mean it works but the tracking and quality is not that great. Depends on the boxes one uses and their interactions.

I have an OD and clean boost before it and an ICE after it, a lot of options. Fuzz units are moody pedals, Hendrix had to use the Vox wah w his Fuzz Face as he said the Fuzz Face did not like the CryBaby (impedance mismatch some fuzzes are high Z input only, Whammy will work with a dirt signal but not as well because it is trying to divide fuzz). I prefer high gain dist pedals myself as they are more articulate and defined. I also have my amp gain channels where the whammy would always be in front of the preamp, always sounds great. I usually only use the Whammy for the harmonizer modes, it does a mean 4th/5th up or down. It's just a monophonic tracker but unlike most harmonizer pedals you do not have to select and hold a certain key. I have heard demos of guys strumming in the harmonizer modes not realizing it cannot track chords like a POG and they thought the tracking glitch was a musical effect...
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Antix View Post
here's my latest additions to my board... I'd like to point out what a bitch it is to wire up a board when you're left handed... pedals are designed to flow from left to right! first time I wired it up I was tripping over my leads. Maybe I need a wireless system!

custom cables are next on the shopping list.

One of the guys here turned me onto these great large lug flat pan right angle jacks, $20 for 20, amazing deal. I used a spare high end cable I had and made my own soldered cables and I will never buy any pre-mades again. I am just leary of solderless kits, I know some swear by them but I do not trust myself building them. First thing tech service tells you is remove those when testing for noise or hum.
http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mer...Code=32-232x20

I am always interested in how different players chain effects. I can try some of the same routes and it doesn't work for me. You must be using the Whammy for the typical weeooo effects especially running that Time Machine delay into it, why wouldn't you want to echo the sweep? Seems like the Whammy would trip out being fed by a delay.

I found the Small Stone to me a really moody phaser. It did not sound right unless it was after my gains or sounded best in my loop. The MXRs sound good in front of gains. Most are trying that EVH type sound but Eddie ran his MXR into a gained Marshall front end not a gain box. Maybe it sounds different w a fuzz, I haven't had a fuzz in many years. I really like my new Ibanez Tube King TK999HT red box, it really is a great sounding real tube high gainer.

I am an old school modulators after ODs and gains, mostly in the loop. I love the Vibe effect myself but I can never get one to sound right before OD or dist, maybe a cleaner OD works but it really alters the warble pulse.

I am always trying options and just today I moved all my modulators into my loop chain. They just sound better, fuller, more sweep and bandwidth, on my rig anyway.
Especially delays, have to go in the loop. That Time Machine is a great delay. Satch uses 2 of them feed to the loop of a "wet' amp. If you have a loop you should try it. Even my Small Stone sounded much better in the loop.

FYI: you can use the direct out on the Whammy to feed your tuner and have one less box in the chain.
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petergriffin720 View Post
Thanks Darkhorse! I got my pedalboard in, and set it up, but don't know if I did the best job with everything.

I have a question about the zVex Fuzz Factory. I bought a 1spot to go along with the pedal board, and read in the manual that all zVex pedals require the CBAT adapter, which I have. The main problem now is how do I use the adapter, and close the back of the pedal?
I do not have a zVex box and I am not sure what you mean about the adapter. Everything I have seen just has a v jack no doors or anything. Are you talking about a battery clip that goes on the normal battery hookup. That is a problem, I had an old vintage Phase90 that had no v jack and I could not close up the back. You can get inventive and drill a hole for the wire, cut it and resolder it so the feed goes through the hole.

I got into making my own pedal boards last year. It was so bloody easy I could kick myself for not doing it a long time ago. It's wood and painted black but does the job and is as large as I need. I made a 20"x4' slant board that I did not have to cut anything. Just had the store guy rip 4" off, and used that for the slant back, put two pre cut 2x2 braces, one to hold the back slant and 1 in the middle to contact the floor for support. Since it is braced to the floor I can stand on it it is so strong. It was easy to do and cost me like $20 worth of wood, screws and paint. I like the slant for ease of reach and use, and I can put holes to run power supply cables under and such.

You may find daisy chaining power supplies will give you ground loop hum and a noise floor. Best to use a Voodoo Lab, or I have a BBE SupraCharger that has isolated and filtered supplies. I also have an additional power strip for my higher current special warts that some pedals require, no brick or daisy chain can feed them. I run a fair number of effects and I try to keep my noise floor down. Power supplies are as important as quality cables to your rig signal quality. My master power for my pedalboard and main amp feed comes off a Furman Power Conditioner before it goes to the pedalboard supplies.

Daisy chaining seems to work if you have a chain of little Boss pedals as they are not true bypass and the buffers seem to hold down the noise floor. You may find true bypass will give you hum or noise and often switch popping charge when chaining power feeds. As long as your supply carries more mA current than all the effects combined it usually works. Some pedals will not tolerate a daisy chain feed and look for a specific mA value. Most common pedals are relatively low mA draw of <100 (all little Boss) and all 9v. When you get into different voltage needs and differing mA requirements you just cannot daisy chain. You will damage some effects or burn up the supply trying to daisy high current pedals. I have a 12v 400mA pedal that has to have it's own supply as no brick can deliver 400-500mA for it.

I also completely remove my batteries from all my boxes which seems to also help reducing any noise issues. Some do not like that but I am not gigging much these days and if my power dies, I do not care about having batteries as backup. In years it has never happened. Also just FYI: the battery on most pedals is bypass when you hook up a power supply so leaving everything hooked up will not drain the batteries. I never unplug anything. Master power on and board comes up.
Old 17th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
One of the guys here turned me onto these great large lug flat pan right angle jacks, $20 for 20, amazing deal. I used a spare high end cable I had and made my own soldered cables and I will never buy any pre-mades again. I am just leary of solderless kits, I know some swear by them but I do not trust myself building them. First thing tech service tells you is remove those when testing for noise or hum.
Orange County Speaker Repair - GLS Audio Wholesale: 1/4" TS Plug Mono Right Angle Male Connector - GLS Audio - 20 Pack

I am always interested in how different players chain effects. I can try some of the same routes and it doesn't work for me. You must be using the Whammy for the typical weeooo effects especially running that Time Machine delay into it, why wouldn't you want to echo the sweep? Seems like the Whammy would trip out being fed by a delay.

I found the Small Stone to me a really moody phaser. It did not sound right unless it was after my gains or sounded best in my loop. The MXRs sound good in front of gains. Most are trying that EVH type sound but Eddie ran his MXR into a gained Marshall front end not a gain box. Maybe it sounds different w a fuzz, I haven't had a fuzz in many years. I really like my new Ibanez Tube King TK999HT red box, it really is a great sounding real tube high gainer.

I am an old school modulators after ODs and gains, mostly in the loop. I love the Vibe effect myself but I can never get one to sound right before OD or dist, maybe a cleaner OD works but it really alters the warble pulse.

I am always trying options and just today I moved all my modulators into my loop chain. They just sound better, fuller, more sweep and bandwidth, on my rig anyway.
Especially delays, have to go in the loop. That Time Machine is a great delay. Satch uses 2 of them feed to the loop of a "wet' amp. If you have a loop you should try it. Even my Small Stone sounded much better in the loop.

FYI: you can use the direct out on the Whammy to feed your tuner and have one less box in the chain.
Tuner is used as a mute switch.

I used to run the whammy before the delay but I now want to whammy the delay feedback... i'd really like to have 2 of the delay units on my board, i'd put the other last in the signal chain.

I often switch my chain around cause i get bored and wanna try new sounds.

the custom cables i'm looking at getting are right angles and no soldering involved

haven't had much time to play with the small stone yet so i can't comment.
Old 18th April 2011
Here for the gear

This will likely make me sound stupid, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the product.

It's a Y shaped plastic piece that replaces the knob on delay/reverb/flanger/etc for use in expression changes.

If anyone knows the name of this product, thanks!
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear
Pot shaft breaker?
Old 20th April 2011
Here for the gear

I'm not sure, but it is an attachment to the pot shaft.

Typically seen it on Delay pedals, so you can do delay rate changes with your feet as opposed to bending over while playing.

Wish my Analog Carbon Copy had a tap tempo!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search