The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4th February 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Steve View Post
Well, when there are 20 or more people doing a changeover, things get stepped on. I cant really be yelling at every single hand and wasting time. Stage managers would lose their mind. That's why I suggest the cable wrap for any looms.

Also, about cables going bad and such, when gear is moving from a trailer or semi to stage and back every night, sometimes carted internationally, then crappy cables can go bad. That's why I wouldnt use the solderless stuff.

But the one band I worked with was not easy on their gear. Throwing guitars breaking tons of stuff. Guitarist would jump in the crowd with his guitar and cable. They recently switched to wireless. But, yeah I've toured close to Egypt. Ha!
Holy crap. I can dig that, severe travel. I have never been through that circus I imagine it's even harder on your health. Amazing stories. Would make for a great book. I've been to Europe a few times, what an exhausting ordeal that was, I could not imagine having to gear up and perform, I barely made it back w my luggage. Playing is fun but getting there and set up must be pure hell. Sounds like you have lived quite a life, I am too old these days to dream of success.
Old 4th February 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnepo1 View Post
The plugs are GLS, I get them thru Speakerrepair.com. GLS plugs sell for $1/ea for 20 pieces and .69/ea for 50 or more. They are just like the Switchcraft minus the etched wording on the cover plates, but the solder leads have punch holes and also a solder lead for the ground/sleeve wire. Makes soldering so much easier.

The cables are Mogami 2319 I purchase thru Redco.com for .36/ft. I placed Techflex PET over each cable, got them thru wirecare.com for .35/ft. The PET model I used is carbon, it looks glittery w/ the flash, but in regular light it does lok like carbon fiber w/ the black background of the cable.

Thanks much for that info. Those are some killer prices. I was just tracking through the web sites AsianSteve was talking about. The plug prices are astounding, others are like $3.30 ea. Plus a lead wire not to have to flux up the lug, really sweet!! Amazingly cool.
I will never be able to reach that level of a board but I do what I can. My level of income these days is a fraction of what it used to be. I have to squeeze the lemon to get much of anything much less high dollar stuff.
I just made a new board I am waiting to dry and start installing. I like slant boards and I am able to make some really killer and strong boards from wood.
I am going to price out on the cables. Asian Steve's sites had some really amazing cable w tweed wrap that out performs Mogami and some others. It runs .70 a ft, all colors.
I would much rather build some solder cables than panic over the solderless ones. Many have great results from them, but really for buying 2 kits I can build my own.
Old 4th February 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Holy crap. I can dig that, severe travel. I have never been through that circus I imagine it's even harder on your health. Amazing stories. Would make for a great book. I've been to Europe a few times, what an exhausting ordeal that was, I could not imagine having to gear up and perform, I barely made it back w my luggage. Playing is fun but getting there and set up must be pure hell. Sounds like you have lived quite a life, I am too old these days to dream of success.
It's def not for everybody. I bust my ass but do have fun doing it. Learn alot about gear and how small things can make the difference between a successful show and a clunker. That's why I'm trying to make suggestions on what to be aware of if you want to avoid gig disaster! Maybe a bedroom player isn't going to need a crazy handmade board and cables but you never know!
Old 4th February 2011
Here for the gear

my direct guitar recording tools

here's my simple pedalboard:
1. Hughes and Kettner Tubeman II
2. Adrenalinn III
3. Digitech Whammy
Old 4th February 2011
Lives for gear

Interesting to hear that so many folks seems to have failures with George Ls. Ever since using the George L cable tester I never once had a problem even though I play a lot and change my pedalboard setup often.

The only cables that really gave me trouble were Planet Waves. Those kept crapping out quite a few times, luckily it always happened in rehearsal or soundchecks and never on a gig. But it's the reason I changed to Sommer Spirit XXL cables now for all longer cable runs and it really do like the build quality and the sonics of these.
Old 5th February 2011
Here for the gear

Here is the main rig, voodoo lab GCX with ground control, peterson tuner, lazy J cruiser, Klon, boss BD-2 keeley phat mod, fulltone ocatvia, MXR phase 90 script, empress tremolo, Badcat, eventide time factor. Running stereo into a Lazy J 80 and a lazy J 20 on this picture.
Those amps are amazing, I cant recommend them more...
Old 5th February 2011
Lives for gear
Has anyone heard of issues using gold plugs not being really compatible w standard nickel jacks? I was reading something about the difference in alloy not being as good of a connection match. They were saying gold to gold, and nickel to nickel. Anyone know of such stuff??? Why are there no gold jacks? Has anyone ever heard of anyone getting really anal and hardwiring their pedals without using cables? Years back we used to take everything out of the pedal boxes and mount them into a custom board ala Bradshaw. Some music stores used to do this as a side line.

I decided from my money problems to just buy some plugs mentioned by a couple of the gurus above, and make my own cables using a spare monster cable. Seems I can make like 10 cables for like $20 of a real high end quality.
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear
Come on guys do not stop with the board pics, this has been really interesting to see all the boards. I could spend all day looking at these setups, getting ideas and wishing I had money. The cabling ideas and runs have been most enlightening to improve my setup.

I just trashed my whole board. I am fed up w my pedals and I want to start over again. I decided to only keep a couple and move on to some cooler pedals. Praise BARBER, can I get an "amen"?
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingossip View Post
here's my simple pedalboard:
1. Hughes and Kettner Tubeman II
2. Adrenalinn III
3. Digitech Whammy

What is this Adrenalinn unit, first I've heard of this one. Looks like a multiprocessor preset deal.
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

I also make my living by doing sessions and touring. I thought I would share the system I have been using for about 8 years - all over the world with no issues.

I am not a big effects guy, but the artist I play with has many songs that people know and I need to use some effects to recreate the parts on her records - and in the studio you need what you need.

I use the GCX system which I really can't say enough about. For years I used a board, but it's a PITA - plus I hate the large boards where you have to step over things, etc....

The GCX allows you to put your pedals in a rack, have a foot controller on stage and just forget about all the junk. You can also turn multiple pedals on/off with one switch - which is hard/impossible to do on a pedal board and you get instant recall.

This is kind of long winded, but let me explain how it works - because I was always a little intimidated by this stuff.

You can set it up a bunch of different ways, but I have it this way:

- The top 8 switches turn any 8 pedals on/off just like 8 boxes.

- The bottom four are 'bank' switches that have programed settings - like dist and chorus or whatever.

Now when you're in a program setting on the 8 switches above you can put anything else on/off - and hit the bank switch again and it comes back.

There are bank up/down switches.

What I do is program the Intro, Verse, Chorus, Solo (or whatever) for the whole set list into each bank. We do the same set every night - so bank 1 are the four settings for the first song, bank 2 for the second, etc... the great thing is with the 8 above you can put things on/off if you need them - so it's really great.

There is also a buffer built in for long runs - or you can not use it.

I have a Wah (true bypass mod) and a Peterson StroboStomp 2 in front of GCX.

In GCX I have:

1- Maxon Compressor
2- Klon Centuar
3- Maxon OD-808
4- Fuchs Creme de la Trem
5- DOD FX-65 Chorus (best chorus ever made)
6- Ibanez FL-9 Flanger
7- Chandler Delay Rack (best thing I can find aside from TTE - and it's more stable)

I don't have anything in the 8th spot.

I use a TTE and Fender Reverb Unit at home but they don't travel with me.

I wired everything up with Mogami/Neutrik but there are some George L still in there.

The thing I can tell you is that it is silent and it sounds really, really good - about 100x better then my old stompbox setup.

The other thing is your pedals don't get trashed because they're always on and they don't get stepped on. Your cables get banged around a lot less too.

Some of these pedals were cheap when I got them but are now expensive - a Klon costs about $1000 these days!

If anyone has any questions PM me and I'll do my best. You can also control amp switching and MIDI but I don't do any of that.

This is it on the floor in the rack case:

Then you have this part - it goes together with a MIDI cable - no power supply and you can name everything.

Old 22nd February 2011
PSM
Gear Head

I go in phases but I'm currently riding the "less is more" wave. I tend to get excited about new products (not just new to the market but new to me), but then let down when my tone deteriorates, at which point I strip it down to the basics for a while. Right now, I'm just keeping it simple with the following. I have to say, I'm impressed with the Hardwire pedals I've played, though, enough to pickup this DL-8. I really like the TU-3 in terms of features, but I wish it was true bypass.

Another restriction is that my RV50 has a pretty ****ty FX loop, bad enough that I won't run anything through it. I've heard they improved it with the MKII version, though, so I'll have to give that a shot.

Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
I go in phases but I'm currently riding the "less is more" wave. I tend to get excited about new products (not just new to the market but new to me), but then let down when my tone deteriorates, at which point I strip it down to the basics for a while. Right now, I'm just keeping it simple with the following. I have to say, I'm impressed with the Hardwire pedals I've played, though, enough to pickup this DL-8. I really like the TU-3 in terms of features, but I wish it was true bypass.

Another restriction is that my RV50 has a pretty ****ty FX loop, bad enough that I won't run anything through it. I've heard they improved it with the MKII version, though, so I'll have to give that a shot.

I really dig the hardwire series, vastly better than most realize. They step up the voltage for more headroom in the circuit. I cannot think of one in the series that does not deliver the goods for really reasonable bucks. Their OD is really great. I have the Reverb and it is a jewel. I got it on sale for like $49 bucks, sweet, Lexicon models for $49. Hardwire has some new boxes out. Their tuner by the way is better than Boss and is chromatic, they also just came out with a polytune version if you dig that sort of thing. I though the new TU-3 was bypass wired. I just am not into Boss unless it has been mod'ed by Analogman or Keeley.

I never keep a tuner in my chain as a rule. I feed it from a spare unused output. I do not need another box in my chain. I work to have a really low, if no, noise floor. I am in the process of making my new cable runs which I am sure will improve my signal load.

Crybaby is classic, the MXR CAE dual inductor wah is the best in my book. I use the VOX-JS Wah as it also has dual inductors, plus voice option and selectable boost. I was a Morely guy for years because I loved the no moving parts and touch on. The Vox-JS wah is my return to the pot wahs and I really like it.

Bottom line though, I really think the Hardwire series is just great, most are like $100, you cannot beat that quality and price.

Anyone into Carl Martin boxes? I was just drooling over some cool bew ones I just found. Some great ideas coming out of Denmark these days.
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I also make my living by doing sessions and touring. I thought I would share the system I have been using for about 8 years - all over the world with no issues.

I am not a big effects guy, but the artist I play with has many songs that people know and I need to use some effects to recreate the parts on her records - and in the studio you need what you need.

I use the GCX system which I really can't say enough about. For years I used a board, but it's a PITA - plus I hate the large boards where you have to step over things, etc....

The GCX allows you to put your pedals in a rack, have a foot controller on stage and just forget about all the junk. You can also turn multiple pedals on/off with one switch - which is hard/impossible to do on a pedal board and you get instant recall.

This is kind of long winded, but let me explain how it works - because I was always a little intimidated by this stuff.

- The bottom four are 'bank' switches that have programed settings - like dist and chorus or whatever.

Now when you're in a program setting on the 8 switches above you can put anything else on/off - and hit the bank switch again and it comes back.

What I do is program the Intro, Verse, Chorus, Solo (or whatever) for the whole set list into each bank. We do the same set every night - so bank 1 are the four settings for the first song, bank 2 for the second, etc... the great thing is with the 8 above you can put things on/off if you need them - so it's really great.

In GCX I have:

1- Maxon Compressor
2- Klon Centuar
3- Maxon OD-808
6- Ibanez FL-9 Flanger
7- Chandler Delay Rack (best thing I can find aside from TTE - and it's more stable)

I wired everything up with Mogami/Neutrik but there are some George L still in there.

The thing I can tell you is that it is silent and it sounds really, really good - about 100x better then my old stompbox setup.

The other thing is your pedals don't get trashed because they're always on and they don't get stepped on. Your cables get banged around a lot less too.

Some of these pedals were cheap when I got them but are now expensive - a Klon costs about $1000 these days!

If anyone has any questions PM me and I'll do my best. You can also control amp switching and MIDI but I don't do any of that.

Then you have this part - it goes together with a MIDI cable - no power supply and you can name everything.

Certainly the way to go for the compact touring rig. Klon, sweet, I would love to have one of those. The guy is returning to the arena w a new model Klon. Can you resist playing In My Time of Dying or Kashmir on that Danelectro? There are several command boards and systems that are state of the art, cool way to go. I do not play out anymore so I do not have to make things break down or portable. I do prefer the pedals over the brain multi-processors. I plan to redo my board with the Carl Martin 8 loop islolator so it can all be controlled by one switch plate at the bottom of the board.
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear
Read up on the Carl Martin Octaloop - I've seen several reviews that were less than optimal - it's apparently noisy. Worth checking out before buying.
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
After 40+ years of guitar playing, I'm in the process of putting together my first pedal board.

In the past I would only use a 'wah' and occassionally a phase shifter. I found a great love (G.A.S.) for effects when I started working ITB.

So anyhow, are these Planet Waves cables any good?? Being able to 'cut to length' is definitely convenient. I will eventually make some total 'custom' cables, but I need something to get this board up and running.

Oddly enough, on a recent personal walkthrough of his pedalboard and amp setup, Joe Satriani, said his tech uses Planet Waves cable kits to make his cables as he changes things constantly. I thought everyone was using George L's. Steve Vai is using the Lava cable kits on his rig. I am still a little gun shy of solderless plugs. There are some failures and partial conductivity issues, and you simply cannot be moving or unpluging the cables. Lava is an interesting kit design as they do not use a set screw to contact the shield but a 360 degree ring pressure around the whole shield. Pretty cool design. Down side is they give you 2 straight jacks which I really do not want.

I am making my own cables from some large lug, flat pan, right angle jacks and a spare monster cable I had. I just prefer to solder the connections and insulate them. Found the plugs for $1 ea verses the usual $4 or $6-7 for Geroge L's. I just love the low profile flat right angle plugs. I would need 2 of the kits which make 5 cables ea, at about $160, verses the $25 I will spent on plugs, shipping and new solder.
Old 23rd February 2011
Lives for gear
Joe has to use it as he is a Planet Waves endorsee. Doesn't mean it's the best cable or what he uses at home, but they also make all of his custom art straps.
Old 24th February 2011
i had the gcx setup for a while. it really did improve the overall tone of my rig, but it became too much of a hassle to travel with. I ran it the same way as you, and I loved being able to have presets, and then individually add or take away effects from the chain within that preset. but I went from having a big pedalboard, to a small pedalboard with a rack. traveling with that, plus 2 guitars, and an occasional ac30 was too much, especially since I do a lot of fly dates.

it's nice walking into the airport, checking my pedalboard and bag, and carrying on my guitars. i do miss the flexibility and sound quality of the gcx though.
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Read up on the Carl Martin Octaloop - I've seen several reviews that were less than optimal - it's apparently noisy. Worth checking out before buying.

Good to know. I've used the Voodoo Lab 4 loop master. One wonders if they were using quality cables w custom runs. Makes all the difference in the world, also buffering. The Voodoo Lab had a buffered or bypass input. Hard to imagine Carl Martin has a problem, most of the time I find the reviewers are doing something unkosher. The unit is supposed to be gold contacts sealed in nitrogen like the Voodoo Lab, one can really surmise it must be a pedals-on noise floor or bad cables.

You cannot place too much weight on a lot of reviews. One I just read was negative on the new Ibanez TK999HT Tube King pedal I just got a month ago, saying it was muddy, cutting out and led blinking off. Problem was obviously due to using an improper power supply.

Some just do not read up on the specs. One complaing guy did not know the voltage is stepped up in the unit to 100v not merely the 12v going in, of course no box is going to run amp plate 300 volt current on a pedal box, not sure I would want to get near it. Those who get this box used are trying to power it by a brick or a daisy ground loop cheese. It requires a very high 400mA current on the 12v I do not know of a brick that can handle that.

Others go on and on about tossing the EH 12XA7 for another 12AX7 as if that created a magic in the box it did not have. Hardly. Not only is the EH 12AX7 highly rated, it sells for the same as a Tung Sol and no way is the voice going to change in any decernable manner. A great gain box, the best I have used in a great many years highly verstitle adustment. Bottom line, I seldom trust reviews, I like to read them but I do not weigh them all that much, some are just entertaining.

I would love to try the Carl Martin box having used the Voodoo Lab. It seems like a really great way to manage effects and get them out of the chain. Everyone raves about the Carl Martin Plexi. Seems like a great line.
Old 27th February 2011
Lives for gear

my latest board config and a shot of my amp
My amp is a modifed Carvin V3 head with a vintage load 4x12cabinet. Foot switches are three amp channels and front panel clean boost (right), and 2 loop switches, 2nd loop is another clean boost mod (left). The V3 amp is quite an interesting amp, very versitile and optioned. Each of the 3 channels (2 high gain voiced 1 clean) has a dual EQ switch function changes the range and voice of the amp EQ section (presence, treb, mid, bass all channels), three levels of gain structure switch for each channel, master vol, master deep, master presence, master mid cut. 50/100 watt select. You can tweak on this amp to get just about anything you can imagine in tone.

Amp is rigged to use either EL34s or 5881/6L6 with a selector switch and only a simple bias trim fine tune. I try different tubes all the time. Currently have 5881s set on 50 watt. I often use Jan 5771 preamp tubes (V1, sometimes V2,V3) my favs I have to say to date have been Tung Sol EL34Bs and 12AX7s.

Two little Fenders are for my drum machine for something to play with timing. So much more fun and productive to play with drums, even a machine is better than just standing there. I only wish I knew how to program it, drum machine composing has always shorted my brain out.

My modifed v4 OCD has been put back on the board after a clipping the diode mod, a major cool member here has given me a list of mods to do to it which should really make it a drive I really want. Right now with the fizzy germanium diode out it has a much better FET less gainy tone. Sounds closer to the v3 or v2 version, it's better for me but needs more work. It sounds really good into the ICE 9, an OD which has grown on me a lot since I started really messing w it. The OCD and ICE 9 as a sandwich gives me a really full and dark old Trower tone. Separately the OCD serves as a clean boost driver and the ICE works on the tube channels like a real OD should. I cannot wait to get the components one of the gurus hipped me to here to really alter the OCD into something really good. (This is the best site on the web for great equipment and tone ideas!) Love my new Ibanez Tube King TK999HT high gainer, a really great pedal, my fav gain pedal to date.

Chain: Vox JS Wah> Digitech Whammy> modified OCD> Vox OD ICE 9> Vox JS-DS Satchurator> Ibanez Tube King> EH Nano Small Stone> Lovepedal Pickle Vibe> T-Rex Viper Vibe. Hardwire RV-7 reverb, BBE sonic Maximizer in the loop. Tuner is fed off unused dry out on the Whammy keeping it out of the main chain.

Effects powered by a BBE SupraCharger and special high power warts for the devices that require more current than a brick can supply. Master Power line current comes from my Furman Power Conditioner.

Everything is where it sounds the best and gives me the most options on tones and voices. Not the most super high end boxes but I am really happy with the tones on all of them plus the various amp options I have. (Even what I have is not cheap, quite a bit of bucks in all this, some of you guys just kill me, you must have an income or something. this board adds up to about $2000, and don't we all wish we had that to rebuy just some choice pedals? Mine is a development of long time piece by piece.) My line is extremely quite w no noise floor. The new cables improved it, I really did not have any noise before but the new quality cables improved my signal strength and cap loss.

I do not run a lot of pedals at once, just like having different dist and OD voice options. Many times I might just have 1 pedal on. The Whammy is used mostly for 4ths/5ths/ and 8va harmonizer modes not the usual "weeeeeooooo" thing. Does a decent harmonizer effect with having to preselect a key to play in. Sounds better before gains and OD when used as a harmonizer. I like my modulators after the ODs and high gains, just sounds better to me, before OD is very muffled, the OCD hates modulators before it and the EH Nano phaser just sounds terrible in front. I can feed either of the Vibes or Phaser into a gained channel if I want to mess with that tione.

Here is a shot of the cool new cables I made from tips of the guys here. Really turned out great. My signal quality really improved, I noticed enhanced headroom and signal strength right off. They cost me $2 per cable, and an un-used high end Monster Cable I had in spare parts.

Compared here with a cheap Hosa I paid too much for ($4). Yeah, I know, crap, but they worked for a short time gap, no noise, but you can really tell the difference in signal strength, cap loss and clarity w my new quality runs. Still use my Core X2 giant cables for the main feeds and loop (now out-of-production factory made).

I was looking at spending $20 or more for short connectors amounting to at least $200 before tax, some are much more than that. Really, killing me on the budget, so thanks to the inspiration of some of the great boards shown here. I got some great quality large lug right angle pan plugs from a recommended source. An amazing $1 ea for 20, a killer deal, these larger lug plugs are hard to find, most are the little flat right angles, usually for a lot more than just $1!!! I had a really high end Monster cable in my spare box that I sued to cut up to make these runs. My new cables are twice as thick and really shielded, insulated well. I put extra pieces of cut insulator on the contact ends and put a electrical tape seal over the connection area under the plug plate. These are larger lug better plugs, a real deal. I saved hundreds on cables.

Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post

In GCX I have:

1- Maxon Compressor
2- Klon Centuar
3- Maxon OD-808
6- Ibanez FL-9 Flanger

Just wondering what the midi controller is controlling?
Old 9th March 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Just wondering what the midi controller is controlling?
He has it listed in his post that you had quoted above.
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
He has it listed in his post that you had quoted above.

Sorry no pic or any cables, a bit odd.
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear
Have any of you guys ever experienced issues with reaching and using pedals that are all packed close together?

I ended up redoing my board more in a line for use and access. I kept hitting knobs and problems hitting the switches too close together. Having them in a line makes for a long board (4') but really allows me to tweak and control much easier. I am not hauling my gaear around these days so I can deal with the larger board. I also have two smaller ones I can chain together but for now because of the room I am using my larger 4' x 20" slant board.
Old 11th March 2011
Here for the gear

This is my pedal board, built up over a few years on a near shoe-string...
Tuner -> GLX Compression Sustainer -> George Dennis Wah
-> Boss SD-1 -> Seymour Duncan Lava Box
-> EHX Big Muff (re-housed in a smaller box) -> Boss DD-5 Delay
-> MXR Phase 90 -> Boss Super Chorus CH-1 -> Danelectro Fab Flange (hardly ever used)

Old 12th March 2011
Here for the gear

Just added the Jack DeVille Mod Zero to my small board:

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12th March 2011
Here for the gear

so im looking for some feedback or other ideas about finishing my board...here's what i have and what im planning on adding.

currently playing a early 80's gibson victory through a mesa boogie express 5 50 2X12 combo

my pedals are:
EHX POG2
Twosome Fuzz
Blunderbuss Musket Fuzz
Mantra Overdrive (Black On Black run)
Ibanez TS-808
Dunlop Crybaby

Im considering pedals from the following list:
Mad Professor Compressor
Zvex Super Duper Hard On
Keeley Katana
Empress Vintage Modified Superdelay
Blackout Effectors Whetstone
Strymon Blue Sky
Retro-Sonic or? Empress Red Witch Chorus/Medusa Chorus Trem????
Moogerfooger Freqbox
Zvex Box of Metal and Box of Rock
Tim/Timmy
BB Preamp
Fulltone OCD
Barber DD

Any Suggestions????
Old 13th March 2011
Lives for gear

here's what i have so far. i still need a chorus and a delay.

i like the ibanez cs9 and the EH clone theory for chorus. cant decide between them. leaning towards the clone theory though. seems to have a wider range of tones than the cs9 from the demos i've seen

my friend has a boss re-20 for sale that i like a lot. the cool thing is, i can probably get a great deal on it too. so that'll be my delay soon.
Old 14th March 2011
Lives for gear
[QUOTE=jnepo1;6427522]Just added the Jack DeVille Mod Zero to my small board:

I only recently heard of this guy, what does this puppy do?

I love the way you used blocks to raise up the pedals to get the right angles to point down and probably makes footwork easier as well.

I recently changed back to my larger board because having everything so packed was hard to get to the switches without hitting knobs and having a couple of beers forget it. I found I like my chain more in a line to make it easier to get at them. May not look as cool but is more functional for me. I working on getting a Carl Martin Octo loop switch to further add to my control issues and also take things out of chain when not on.
Old 14th March 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthorse66 View Post
so im looking for some feedback or other ideas about finishing my board...here's what i have and what im planning on adding.

currently playing a early 80's gibson victory through a mesa boogie express 5 50 2X12 combo

my pedals are:
EHX POG2
Twosome Fuzz
Blunderbuss Musket Fuzz
Mantra Overdrive (Black On Black run)
Ibanez TS-808
Dunlop Crybaby

Im considering pedals from the following list:
Mad Professor Compressor
Zvex Super Duper Hard On
Keeley Katana
Empress Vintage Modified Superdelay
Blackout Effectors Whetstone
Strymon Blue Sky
Retro-Sonic or? Empress Red Witch Chorus/Medusa Chorus Trem????
Moogerfooger Freqbox
Zvex Box of Metal and Box of Rock
Tim/Timmy
BB Preamp
Fulltone OCD
Barber DD

Any Suggestions????
Nice. You must have money or something.
A tech guy here hipped me on removing the germanium diode on he v4 OCD which makes it a really great sounding less gainy pedal.
I also have an ICE 9 which is cool.
Barber rules as far as I am concerned; Small Fry for gainer drive Cool Drive for cleaner less gain.
Timmy and Xiotic what can you say, Hermida cool as well.
There is also that new Way Huge Rhino drive which is his redo on a better TS circuit.
You have some real killers on your list. Have fun setting the order. Seems you like fuzz units, I have not had a fuzz in many years, I should look into it again. I really like the Ibanez Tube King TK999HT for high gains real high current tube, major tone. If you like Fuzz have you ever heard the Prescription Electronics Experience pedal, man, that thing kills me. Check out a demo.
Old 14th March 2011
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=darkhorse;6434507]
Quote:
Just added the Jack DeVille Mod Zero to my small board:

I only recently heard of this guy, what does this puppy do?

I love the way you used blocks to raise up the pedals to get the right angles to point down and probably makes footwork easier as well.

I recently changed back to my larger board because having everything so packed was hard to get to the switches without hitting knobs and having a couple of beers forget it. I found I like my chain more in a line to make it easier to get at them. May not look as cool but is more functional for me. I working on getting a Carl Martin Octo loop switch to further add to my control issues and also take things out of chain when not on.
Mod Zero does: Chorus, vibrato, trem, leslie, flanger, tzf-through zero flanging. And all very well.

Here is a pick of both my boards together:

[IMG][/IMG]

I use both for gigging, as both have their advantages. They are both very quiet, biggest difference really is the ease of having the TB loop switch and 2 delays/reverb in the main board. I like having a light on stage as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search