The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 20th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Laborer View Post
The epic quest for tone!!! Great thread, and thanks to Jules for keeping it on track. The rigs are amazing especially the one lit in blue neon.

There should be another thread; Show me your case for your pedalboard. I wonder how some of you get them to gigs, or have room on crowded club stages for some of the major riggings. In any event , props to you.

I have to give a huge thumbs up for the planet waves stuff. Most reliable I've ever used. Not just the ability to cut to length, but also the spring locks on the ground shaft of the plug. These can save a lot of headaches with pedals at gigs.

So, that said, I built my board for $25 and invested more in the planet waves and a flight case. Just the basics, with a few extra pedals on the side for the studio. I was going to add Barber Tone Press but I built a Classic Audio of ILL. V26 preamp with the money.
Your Mesa & Tele are beautiful!
Old 24th October 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsmith View Post
Maybe I am getting old. 30 years ago, I had about ever ElectroHarmonic box and use to string them all up. Look, no offense to anyone, but for the most part, there is a compressor, a distortion box, a wah, a chorus, a flanger, and delay. After that it;s just weird **** like ring modulators, etc. If you think you need to have 6 distortion units to have a variety in your sound, you need to stop. Play straight and work on using your fingers for tone. I guarantee Jeff Beck can coax more great tones from a guitar and amp than any of you can with the biggest pedal board.
Yeah, but Jeff Beck uses ****LOADS of processing equipment in his rig... And lots of the newer generation of musicians/guitarists could give a **** about Jeff Becks moldy old "tone"... I have lots of fuzz pedals, and they're each completely different from one to the other. And what do you have against ring modulators? I'd bet that I can create richer, more interesting sounds with a cheap guitar, a handful of pedals, and crummy 20w solid state amp than you could with some fancy '59 Gibson LP and a HUGELY overpriced vintage or boutique tube amp.

fuuck
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

you can never have enough
Old 27th October 2010
Lives for gear

That's a great looking set of pedals... you've got the creme de la creme of the Pigtronix stuff...

The Echolution is by far one of my all time faves!!
Old 30th October 2010
Lives for gear

heh just teasing... it is not my pedal board. It is in a store called Takt & Ton in Berlin (Invalidenstrasse 148). The owner (Holger) is a really nice guy (awesome guitarist by the way) and he always lets me play for hours with them
Anyway... soon my pedal board will look like that one... because every time I go there, I end buying a new pedal!!!
Old 31st October 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdie View Post
dfegadVelcro sucks! The adhesive doesn't hold during the hot summer weather.fuuck
That's why I use 3M Dual Lock.
Old 30th November 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsmith View Post
If I used most of any of these pedal boards, I would trip over myself and forget everything I learned about playing over the last 38 year. My worst nightmare is one of those rack systems with the MIDI foot controller!

Don't get me wrong. Sit me in studio with a patch bay, racks up racks, and huge console and I go to town. But when I play the guitar, is usually the axe and the amp. When I do a Hendrix show, I use a Cry Baby, a Roland Fuzz, a Digitech Hendrix, and a Dunlop Univibe. I have a foot pedal to the Marshall. And thats too damn much. Bought a Blues Jr last week. No plans for any pedals for that rig!

Maybe I am getting old. 30 years ago, I had about ever ElectroHarmonic box and use to string them all up. Look, no offense to anyone, but for the most part, there is a compressor, a distortion box, a wah, a chorus, a flanger, and delay. After that it;s just weird **** like ring modulators, etc. If you think you need to have 6 distortion units to have a variety in your sound, you need to stop. Play straight and work on using your fingers for tone. I guarantee Jeff Beck can coax more great tones from a guitar and amp than any of you can with the biggest pedal board.

Seriously, bud. Satriani is 1 yr older than me and he has a nice pedal board for tones. They expand the potential of the guitar and your creativity, "as Joe will tell you". Apparently you are not aware Beck has an array of effects at his feet and some sort of rackmount unit for delays on top of his head. Check out the Ronnie Scott live DVD, are you thinking one gets such tones just w a straight guitar??? Jeff has played some of the most honking ODs and Dist ever made, that is all anything BUT just amp and fingers.

A bit hard to OD the amp in or dist it much less attempt an 8va up or dwn or a 4th/5th harmonizer part for a lead run w just fingers and a guitar. Pedals are serious fun to play. I run 8 pedals amp in and 3 in the loop, perhaps 1 or 2 maybe 3 are on at the same time. It's just about tone options and versility. If playing a straight guitar floats your boat then you must not get bored easy. I am no teenager and I got away from all the complex programming of patches and whatnot, but pedals, so easy to tweak in, click it on, click it off, as easy as an amp foot switch, and I have actually 10 of them for channels, loops and clean boosts. Sounds complicated but not really: channel select, want an OD, delay, harmoinzer from the whammy, a high gain dist, just a click. Sometimes I play w nothing but just the Fat Boost for signal enhance and buffer, but it is not much fun without an OD to push the tubes a little.
Old 30th November 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Spot View Post
you can never have enough
Wow, I could not explain all that to my wife.
What do you use to keep the signal cap load off and keep the signal up?
I discovered the Fulltone Fat Boost at the end of the chain just set w drive dwn, bass 3:00, treb up, a little above unity volume restores the original signal quality and makes all the effects sound better. Even true by-pass loads down the signal. Buffer circuits are needed but everything starts to color the signal. My first in chain has a good buffer circuit to condition the load drive.
Old 30th November 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by organsymphony View Post
update!

compared to this from a few pages back:
Say, just a tip but you can run the tuner off the dry out of the whammy and keep it out of the main signal chain.
Old 30th November 2010
Lives for gear

My latest board update. Not as crowded as some, I am not trying to just fill space. Everything has to interact and play well with others as an option. Most of the time the Fat Boost stays on and maybe 1 or 2 others for differing tones. Board is one I made 4'x20" on a slant, so strong you can stand on it as the bracing touches the floor underneath.

I like using gold hard couplers over cables, even HD ones, so the need for a long board. There are only 2 - 6" Core X2s on the amp in line, and I think 2 in my loop. I have, I think, 10' Core X2s for my main lines and loop. The signal is combination buffer and by-pass which sounds full and non-graded with everything off (except the FB-3 which stays on, basic unity gain, drive dwn, bass up and treb up).

The Pickle Vibe up front is just a goof add on. I have the Viper Vibe at the end as this is where it sounds the best, these are tweaked phasers not a real photo-circuit vibe. (go for the real deal, the Viper was not really worth the wait, they sound OK but UberVibe please or at least the Fulltone.)

The Fat Boost at the end of the amp in chain serves to restore the signal from any cap load or loss. Not used as a booster or any sort of further OD. Some will come and go but I really like the Vox/Satriani boxes. I want a killer real Vibe, a new phaser, and a new delay which will replace the dual FX-2 24 bit processor in the loop. I have a wish list but Santa seems have fallen out of the sleigh and rolled off the roof.

Novel way I thought to incorporate rack mounts on my board. I did have a BBE sonic maximizer stacked on top the delays but it died on me recently (had it for like 10 yrs), I will be replacing it asap as that is a very much missed pedal which stays on.
Pedals are fastened using std, cut to flat strip, screw cable ties with extra drilled holes attached to the board and the box screws where possible.
Old 1st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Say, just a tip but you can run the tuner off the dry out of the whammy and keep it out of the main signal chain.
Yeah I tried it before. Don't like it.

I use the tuner as a killswitch to swap guitars or to mute my rig whilst I'm not playing.
Old 2nd December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by organsymphony View Post
Yeah I tried it before. Don't like it.

I use the tuner as a killswitch to swap guitars or to mute my rig whilst I'm not playing.

How do you rig that? I just hit my amp standby. I just fed the tuner from the dry out as I ususallly only tune up before I bring the amp on line and the guitars hold tuning really well. The last thing I need is the signal passing through another box, by-pass is a bit of a myth it still loads the signal, every foot of cable does as well.

I use the Whammy up front (after my Wah), mainly for tracking issues, as I usually only use the harmonizer modes. The Whammy does great 8va up/dwn and good 4ths/5ths up and down, monophonic tracking, but you do not need to hold to a key select like the Boss shifter. Works pretty good. The 4th up through a drive or dist is just killer and a really unique sound, turns heads if you kick in on during a solo.

I like the POG units as they are polyphonic tracking but they only deal with 8va's, no internals, I guess the tech can only divide and multiply an octave. Got the issue on placement from talking to Digitech and Satriani's board where the harmonizers are before gains and drives. The Whammy can be placed at end of chain (or loop, but I haven't tried it) if you use it for the basic weeeoooo effects and those modes are polyphonic tracking. The Whammy does more than it gets credit for. Gilmour did the best effect on it I have heard recently, slowly shifting 1 8va up during a solo and slowly sustaining notes back down, really dramatic effect.
Old 2nd December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
How do you rig that? I just hit my amp standby. I just fed the tuner from the dry out as I ususallly only tune up before I bring the amp on line and the guitars hold tuning really well. The last thing I need is the signal passing through another box, by-pass is a bit of a myth it still loads the signal, every foot of cable does as well.
When you're playing live, hitting a tuner to silence your guitar for changing guitars, tuning inbetween songs (for out of tune, or different tunings) is a lot easier than reaching around the back of your amp to flick it on standby and then flick it back on. Well worth whatever sonic issues may or may not be caused.

If you don't play out then your method is fine.
Old 4th December 2010
Here for the gear

My Board (current)

Bradshaw Wah
Demeter Compulator
Cornish P1 Muff
Cornish G2 Fuzz
Cornish SS3 Soft Sustainer (OD)
Kinglsey Jester
into Gigrig Midi 8
L1 TC Stereo Chorus
L2 VL Microvibe
L3 TRex Tremster
L4 Send to rack (see below*)
L5 SIB Echodrive
L6 Stereo Korg G4 Leslie Simulator

into
Skrydstrupt DDL
Into Cornish stereo splitter/line drivers to Fender Tweed Twin and Cornell Plexi.

* Rack
1976 Electric Mistress
1974 Phase 90
MXR System Delay II
Boss RVV10
Digitech IPS33B Pitch Shifter/Whammy
All switched via gigrig remote loopys and a RJM Amp Gizom to the Midi controller on the board.

All patch leads are Cornish, all power supplies are Voodoo Lab, and at each important part of the board there's a Cornish Line Driver. Also, the DDL is parallel mixed using a Gigrig loopy, and the Leslie goes out in stereo.

However, the rig is so versatile, I cannot think of a thing it won't do. I shall be rationlising the pedal board soon when Pete C makes my switcher system and I'll lose the gigrig.

It's also designed to work either as a pedalboard only or the rack and board. The only things I truly need the rack for are the whammy and the Electric Mistress, which I adore. However the secret weapon is the TC SCF, which'll do a passable flanger, a lush chorus and a useful pitch modulator (leslie-ish!) So it's like 3 pedals in one.

Old 5th December 2010
Gear Nut

Another TC fan! This is my home made board, it fits into a Gator soft case that is for a laptop. I also have a TC Distortion + Booster which I don´t use right now because it dosent sound to good with the Peavy Bandit 112 that the reharsal room we rent has. I have a ENGL Screemer 50 that stays home or live shows with which the Distortion+ sounds great with and all the rest of them. Nice boards folks! Keep em coming!

Attachment 207117

Care,

Mike
Old 5th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Wow - serious setup jakey1! Many great components!

/megl
Old 10th December 2010
Here for the gear

Pedaltrain clone for the singing guitarist

Built this last night after some brainstorming about what I need. I outgrew my commercial board by about 4 pedals so I needed something bigger. I'm lead guitar and vocal, so I decided I needed to incorporate everything into my stage rig. Haven't hooked everything up yet, but it's looking handy so far. I've got a couple of weeks to test it and modify before the next show.
Old 10th December 2010
Here for the gear

G.A.S.???

Holy Crap Jakey1!!! That's some serious firepower!
Old 11th December 2010
Gear Nut

Is that a WD-7 Jr. on your board? If it is, how are you likeing it?

Mike
Old 11th December 2010
Here for the gear

WD7

@Mike

It's the big brother actually, I dig it, but I don't really need all the toys it has on it. It's super controllable in that you can widen the sweep, change the freq., use it on bass, etc. It's got a lever on it that lets you spring load it so it always returns up. Def. more than I needed, but it sounds great, and it hasn't given me any trouble in few years I've had it. The other guitarist in my band retired his Crybaby after hearing mine and bought one, but again other than having that really wide sweep, it's more pedal than he needs...YMMV.

Chuck
Old 11th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratomaniac View Post
@Mike

It's the big brother actually, I dig it, but I don't really need all the toys it has on it. It's super controllable in that you can widen the sweep, change the freq., use it on bass, etc. It's got a lever on it that lets you spring load it so it always returns up. Def. more than I needed, but it sounds great, and it hasn't given me any trouble in few years I've had it. The other guitarist in my band retired his Crybaby after hearing mine and bought one, but again other than having that really wide sweep, it's more pedal than he needs...YMMV.

Chuck
Good, I have the same one. I was about to buy the Jr. but for the price difference I just went for the full version. Apart from the footswitch working randomly on mine, it´s a nice sounding toy thumbsup I just use it in auto mode. Enjoy the your Demon!

PD
Hope you are aware that there are two trim pots under a pice of metal tape on the back. I don´t remember on which pots they work on, just turn them full clockwise with a tiny screwdriver to get all it´s capabilities.

Care,

Mike
Old 11th December 2010
Here for the gear

Wasn't aware of that! Guess I'll get to do a bit more tweaking...
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

That and my Thermion's foot pedal
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Finally got my pedals onto a board... had to leave a few out but this is all I need live, and it only just fits.

the grey footswitch on the right is for my jcm 900... I've ordered a Radial Headbone so I can use both my Mesa single Rec and the JCM900 through one quadbox live. Can't wait for that
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

mine's a bit messy, but i still think it's great.
tips are always welcome!
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Latest version

Latest version of my pedalboard, and I'm running out of room!

Dunlop Wah, modified by Keeley with true bypass and Fasel Inductor
Boss TU2 Tuner
Keeley Compressor
Timmy
Barber Direct Drive
Keeley Katana Boost
Mike's Tone Garage True Bypass Dual Loop Pedal
Loop A:
Ibanez AD9 Analog Delay (original), Keeley Fuzz Head
Loop B:
MXR Phase 90, Ibanez SC10 Super Stereo Chorus, Boss DD6 Delay
Radial Big Shot ABY out to Bandmaster and Mini Z
Bandmaster Tremolo pedal

Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 underneath.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Latest version of my pedalboard, and I'm running out of room!

Dunlop Wah, modified by Keeley with true bypass and Fasel Inductor
Boss TU2 Tuner
Keeley Compressor
Timmy
Barber Direct Drive
Keeley Katana Boost
Mike's Tone Garage True Bypass Dual Loop Pedal
Loop A:
Ibanez AD9 Analog Delay (original), Keeley Fuzz Head
Loop B:
MXR Phase 90, Ibanez SC10 Super Stereo Chorus, Boss DD6 Delay
Radial Big Shot ABY out to Bandmaster and Mini Z
Bandmaster Tremolo pedal

Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 underneath.

Wow that's an old Direct Drive.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear
Yep - I bought it used back in 2004. Great sounding pedal!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
I have alot of pedals but found this is really all I use now. It's just 4 pedals but I really like what they do.

I use the PCM 41 in the effects loop of my amp using a Suhr Minimix.

When I have the urge for something different when recording I'll pull a pedal from the excess pedal shelf.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear
I should get me a "excess pedal shelf"! - nice pics.

On it right now would be:
  • MXR Distortion II, bought new in '81
  • Guyatone TZ2 The Fuzz - does a great job of mimicing one of the settings of the Univox Super Fuzz, but the Fuzz Head does a much better job of playing nicely with other pedals.
  • Keeley-modded TS9 Turbo Screamer - on loan to a friend to evaluate

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search