The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Curious, I use the Contour Vai II wah where is this in your chain, is this after the other effects? How do you like this wah? I have mixed views about it. On one hand I dig the Morely tech, no moving pots to wear out and the unit has a great line driver buffer amp. But sometimes I long for a killer Fulltone but I remember the problems with pot wahs. They do wear out, it's just physics. Where do you like the contour option? I always seem to go back to the std mode which really that touch on/off is just too cool, no more mashing for the on switch or screwing up a line to get it on or off. It has major advantages I am surprised the pot maker wahs do not pick up on.
Although I'm really a guitarist for the past 20yrs, I've been doing alot of bass work lately, and this is the bass pedalboard that I slapped together.

When it comes to guitar wahs, I prefer the wah in the beginning of the chain, and a simple crybaby. I like the contour, although my crybaby is about 25yrs old and can get a little scratchy. I got the horsieII as a gift, but only liked it for lead work, and never for funk scratching or anything else.

However--for bass...wow! The horsie is great, although I only use it in standard mode and never kick in the contour. I also had to open it up and adjust the delay because it was rather annoying. Finally, I placed this pedal at the end of the chain due to my main use of it as a slow, manual filter sweep after distortion, not for 70s booty music. I got that idea from this video (about 3:18):

Old 3rd August 2010
Here for the gear

Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard!

Could only upload half at a time
Old 3rd August 2010
Here for the gear

Part2
Its mounted on a pedaltrain pro
Old 3rd August 2010
Lives for gear

no pics, but lately the board is
Korg DT10 -
Emperess Para EQ (taking out lots of low end) -
Diamond Compressor -
Catalinbread Hyperpak (overdrive) -
MXR Carbon Copy

the Hyperpak is OK but it doesn't blow me away. The rest of it I am happy with. Still, I might add back a trem pedal, add a Malekko Chicklet (reverb), and change the delay out for the newer Malekko that has the modulation controls on the top of the pedal, or possibly a Memory Lane but that would require a bigger board I think.
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear
I do not want to come off snobby because with pedal boards anyone can come along with more uber gear and more stuff, and they seem to all the time here. Some here blow me away. I can't pay my electric bill this month and that guys dual rack load...wow.....and the T/C electronic board....

(say, wah guy w the bass, I was just thinking have you seen that cool manual dual wah pedal Keeley makes? I think it's called the Nova Wah. It puts the wah filters in a set position and holds them, would be cool for your filter tone usage. Just FYI)

I just wanted to say. I am not a big fan of Boss, but I also know a good player can use anything, anything, and rangle good tones and something out of it. I think one of the best compliments I remember was some girl said once when I was fooling around on my kids barely playable guitar that I could make a piece of crap sound good. That sort so of haunts me when I want the latest pedal.

If Boss were true by-pass they would be better in that regard, but long with improving the design there comes a lot more problems. One gets into having to use quality power supplies or you get all this ground loop hum and popping on some true bypass, the little Boss are pretty idiot proof and take a lot of abuse of guys daisy chaining tiny power supplies and they still work. So they are a godsend to the young players.

It's not that they are not good boxes, let's face it Boss sort of started the newer era of pedal crazy. Some pros still have some of them in their rigs. The Keeley or Analogman mods are really good and there are probably others who go in there and improve the pedal components. And I read where somebody recently recorded some tracks on a new CD with one of the multi-effectors. So they work, no doubt. My problem with most multi-processors I have had is that the modulators always seem to be fine but the ODs or Dists do not have all the normal tweaking abilities of the individual boxes.

I sort of go bonkers on an effect line and 6 months later I am pushing for another line. I just dig pedals, always have. I owe that to Trower who change my head on how a guitar could sound.
I've been a fan of Fulltone for some time. I dig the VOX Satriani boxes. Where is the Ice 9 OD, Vox says out this month, I hope, they said that in June. I was using several Visual Sound pedals for a while. Good stuff, excellent line buffer circuits. Recently changed my OD and Dist line as I prefer ODs before Dists.
Love to have that ultimate G-system by T/C Electronics, that puppy is incredible and there is a limited edition out now from a mod by PGS for like $1500, might as well be 10,500 for me right now.

I am dying to get that Retroman UberVibe, I mean that thing is amazing. I owe that to some guy here as I had never heard of it.
Old 7th August 2010
Here for the gear

Touring Board

Hey guys,

I have been a lurker on here for quite some time. I figured once I had something to share, I would post.

I am a touring musician who used cheap pedalboards for years. I then discovered John Chandler with Pedaltrain and loved his boards. I used them for several years too and even upgraded to the pro series but I could not find a board big enough.

I don't like my pedals all mashed up next to each other. I have big feet, (size 13) and am 6'2 so I like a bit of space on a board but the trade off is that you can't get enough pedals on it.

Last year, I began designing my own and the prototype is close to being done.

Here is what I still need to do:

1. Stretch tolex again and re-staple it. I have considered removing it and spraying the board with spray-on bed liner to make it rugged. Right now it is pretty but it can scuff which is not conducive to constant touring I am putting on this board.

2. Place rubber grommets over the holes in the diamond plate.

3. Rewire the board. As you can see, some of the wiring has been rigged for temporary use. I have ordered 100 right angle connectors and a spool of Mogami wire. I plan to have a wiring party soon.

4. I have two holes drilled that are not visible from this angle to insert microphone stands. Yes, the stands insert into their own holes. Under the board is a receiver with a butterfly nut that is adjustable to hold the stand. This has worked fantastic. (don't by the expensive one online, I can tell you how to make one for about $8.

Some notes about this board.

1. The board is powered by 3 Voodoo Labs Pedal Power Plus that are mounted under the board.

2. The board is running in stereo. (Sounds amazing...)

3. I have two Pete Cornish Line Drivers also mounted under the board to keep the juice flowing.

4. I worked for years on the best way for ME to have the order of pedals. I don't have allot of noise or "hum" and surprisingly this is the best board I have had so far. Do I tap dance? Not really...

Anyhow, just wanted to share. Please post if you have any comments, questions or suggestions.

-Doc

Old 8th August 2010
Lives for gear
I like the wide layout - very nice! Looks like 3' x 5 or 6 ft?

The board is big, but if you're touring, I'm guessing they can throw it on top of other road cases with casters and you're set.

I'd really look at the LineX coating - durable, won't get dinged up. You may even find someone who can spray colored versions to stay with your Orange theme.

If you can, shoot a side shot so we can see the profile of the lip of the case and the 2 rows of pedals, as well as the connection end to see what's going out to the amps.

Nice job!
Old 8th August 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
I like the wide layout - very nice! Looks like 3' x 5 or 6 ft?

The board is big, but if you're touring, I'm guessing they can throw it on top of other road cases with casters and you're set.

I'd really look at the LineX coating - durable, won't get dinged up. You may even find someone who can spray colored versions to stay with your Orange theme.

If you can, shoot a side shot so we can see the profile of the lip of the case and the 2 rows of pedals, as well as the connection end to see what's going out to the amps.

Nice job!
Nedorama: You got it! Touring, it does go on top of a huge road case that carries our mains. We just strap it in. The board is 5 feet long and 2 feet deep.

I have thought about the LineX and will probably end up that route soon. I would be ok with black, but Orange might be swanky too.

I will shoot a side shot in the next day or so. For now though I will tell you that the board has a Hubble connector for power and three Nutrix XLR jacks. (Primary Mic, Talk Box Mic and Out For Loops Of Computer) For the loops, I have a 1/8" plug that goes from my 17" Macbook Pro to the board and out the XLR.

It also has 4 Nutrix 1/4" connectors. Two are stereo to each amp and the other two go to a 1974 Peavy Mace II, 300 Watt amp that is used exclusively for the talk box.

I have put quite a bit of thought into what I wanted and this is the first design. I will definitely build another board soon for my acoustic rig and it will be very small. (MAYBE 10lbs)

Thanks for the suggestions. Please folks, keep them coming. I love to hear ideas.

-Doc
Old 8th August 2010
Here for the gear

I am thinking the same general concept, except maybe barely larger than the pedaltrain pro. Maybe like 48 across and 20 deep
And
Old 8th August 2010
Here for the gear

Geez, my board is only 34" x 16". Damn, my board looks like a Pedaltrain Mini in comparison to that thing. You mentioned you're a touring musician, but dude, is that over-engineered. A suggestion if I may, w/ touring, I would suggest putting aluminum corners on your case. Reliablehardware.com sells black aluminum hardware for ATA cases. That would go well w/ your Orange themed rig.
Old 8th August 2010
Lives for gear

Ok so i have a couple of new pedals!

a crybaby wah (given to me on indefinite loan). this has put me in a sticky situation as i was just about to buy a bad horsie but how the hell do i justify that now i allready have a wah?!

and i got a blackstar HT-dual aswell.

So..

I'm gonna ask the classic question... anyone have any suggestions as to the best placement :D

Atm i have these pedals in this order. all in the effects loop of my Blackstar HT-5

Whammy (dry out > TU-2)
Fuzz Factory
Memory Boy
Holy Grail

So wheres best to add in the HT dual and crybaby?

should anything in the effects loop be taken out and placed directly infront of the amp?

Cheers guys!!
Old 8th August 2010
Lives for gear

Here
Old 8th August 2010
Here for the gear

Oragn symphony. Order wise for your pedals I would do it this way. Assess what type of pedals you have. For instance
Gain based pedaled almost ALWAYS do better go between the guitar and the amps input. As far as modulation like Phasers, flangers, and delays. I would put this in your effects loop. I would go from guitar to your tu2, to your fuzz box, into to your amp. Then come out from the effects loop into your other pedals and back into your amp
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by organsymphony View Post
Ok so i have a couple of new pedals!

a crybaby wah (given to me on indefinite loan). this has put me in a sticky situation as i was just about to buy a bad horsie but how the hell do i justify that now i allready have a wah?!

and i got a blackstar HT-dual aswell.

So..

I'm gonna ask the classic question... anyone have any suggestions as to the best placement :D

Atm i have these pedals in this order. all in the effects loop of my Blackstar HT-5

Whammy (dry out > TU-2)
Fuzz Factory
Memory Boy
Holy Grail

So wheres best to add in the HT dual and crybaby?

should anything in the effects loop be taken out and placed directly infront of the amp?

Cheers guys!!
I've been a long time pedal board and effect user for many decades. There are basic rules and some options in regard to effect placement. Some guys do things wrong and probably suffer the bad tone as something unique.

Depends on what you are doing with the Whammy as to where it should go. I use mine for harmonizer modes and seldom for the typical 8va weeoooo thing. Mine is up front for better tracking, also agreed by digitech technical. Also smart to run the dry out to the tuner, one less box in line. If you use it for the typical 8va sweep, that mode can be placed end of chain or end of loop, it still works up front and trailing an echo(delay) after it sounds very dramatic. I find any harmonizer pitch shifting effect to sound better up front getting a better signal for glitch free tracking, any quality dirt box can handle the harmony interval and especally the 8va up octavia thing sounds better before gains.
(amp in)
I would suggest any Wah go first in chain (I use the Vai II Morely, dig it alot as a wah, I like the tech, this is a 300mA pedal FYI)
Whammy (I use mine for harmonizer, needs to be up front and before dirt)
Blackstar (any dirt epecially OD should go amp in as it is the function to cook the preamp section, will definitely sound better.)
Fuzz factory (can be switch with HT whichever sounds better, unlikely you will use them at the same time)

(loop)
Memory Boy (echo I presume is the main function, I prefer all modulation in the loop, just sounds better. Options are phase or Vibe before dirt)
Holy Grail (I think this is reverb, if I remember these correctly. I will check.....yes, so reverbs should always go last and in the loop is the primary position.)
Old 13th August 2010
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear
Interesting pedals.

Are the lengths before you've cut them, or are they not the Planet Waves ones you can cut?

On the Soul Preacher, you may want to try before and after your overdrive/distortion pedals.

What power supply are you planning on using?
Old 14th August 2010
Quote:
Interesting pedals.

Are the lengths before you've cut them, or are they not the Planet Waves ones you can cut?

On the Soul Preacher, you may want to try before and after your overdrive/distortion pedals.

What power supply are you planning on using?
I don't keep my pedals in one place long enought for there to be any point to cut the cords. And I'm not enough of a neat freak to care. heh

I use the SP for boosting a dirty amp or for compressing cleans. In fact most of the pedals I use one at a time, not in unison. Although the HM2 into the eq produces the most ugly sounding death metal tone I've ever heard.

I'll get the 1Spot for the board. I have a cheap Harley Benton Powerplant that does what it's supposed to but it's just too clunky.
Old 14th August 2010
Here for the gear

Neo, those cables are not Planet Waves. The plugs a Rean by Neutrik, I'm not sure what cable he is using.
Old 14th August 2010
Gear Maniac

quick question...

After 40+ years of guitar playing, I'm in the process of putting together my first pedal board.

In the past I would only use a 'wah' and occassionally a phase shifter. I found a great love (G.A.S.) for effects when I started working ITB.

So anyhow, are these Planet Waves cables any good?? Being able to 'cut to length' is definitely convenient. I will eventually make some total 'custom' cables, but I need something to get this board up and running.

Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear
I can't speak for the Planet Waves, but I've been using George L's for over 10 years now for my pedal board, unbalanced gear in my studio rack with zero problems. Worth checking out.
Old 14th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I can't speak for the Planet Waves, but I've been using George L's for over 10 years now for my pedal board, unbalanced gear in my studio rack with zero problems. Worth checking out.

Thanks, looks like *nice* stuff.

edit:
@nedorama,
Got the cables from George L's and assembled and installed them last night (8/19). Sweet.
Thanks.
Old 24th August 2010
Here for the gear

Right thread....

Here you go....

Chain

Guit In
Cornish LD1
CAE Wah
Demeter Comp
Cornish P2
Cornish G2
Cornish SS3
Volume Pedal

Into Gigrig
loop 1- TC SCF
Loop 2 Digitech IPS 33B (rack)
Loop 3 Skrydstrup DDL
Loop 4 MXR Delay (rack)
Loop 5 Boss RVV10 (rack)
Loop 6 Korg G4 Leslie Sim (rack)

Out of gigrig into 2 x Cornish LD1 Line Drivers to amps.

Old 27th August 2010
Lives for gear

The epic quest for tone!!! Great thread, and thanks to Jules for keeping it on track. The rigs are amazing especially the one lit in blue neon.

There should be another thread; Show me your case for your pedalboard. I wonder how some of you get them to gigs, or have room on crowded club stages for some of the major riggings. In any event , props to you.

I have to give a huge thumbs up for the planet waves stuff. Most reliable I've ever used. Not just the ability to cut to length, but also the spring locks on the ground shaft of the plug. These can save a lot of headaches with pedals at gigs.

So, that said, I built my board for $25 and invested more in the planet waves and a flight case. Just the basics, with a few extra pedals on the side for the studio. I was going to add Barber Tone Press but I built a Classic Audio of ILL. V26 preamp with the money.
Old 27th August 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakey1 View Post
Right thread....

Here you go....

Chain

Guit In
Cornish LD1
CAE Wah
Demeter Comp
Cornish P2
Cornish G2
Cornish SS3
Volume Pedal

Into Gigrig
loop 1- TC SCF
Loop 2 Digitech IPS 33B (rack)
Loop 3 Skrydstrup DDL
Loop 4 MXR Delay (rack)
Loop 5 Boss RVV10 (rack)
Loop 6 Korg G4 Leslie Sim (rack)

Out of gigrig into 2 x Cornish LD1 Line Drivers to amps.

Well done.

Love my LD-1s

How's that SS3? Might be my next thing.

777artin
Old 23rd September 2010
Here for the gear

The latest iteration of my small board: [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 25th September 2010
Here for the gear

Attachment 194574
Old 29th September 2010
Gear Maniac
Currently I use mainly Boss pedals (not botique or amazing or anything but still) and my chain is as follows:

Guitar in
TC Electronics Polytune
Boss LS2 Line Selector (switches between my clean and drive chains)

Clean chain:
Boss Compressor Sustainer (always on)
Boss EQ (always on)
Boss Super Chorus (always on)
Boss Flanger
Boss Digital Reverb (always on)

Drive chain:
Boss Metal Zone (always on)
Boss Phase Shifter
Boss Digital Delay

Guitar out

All these pedals reside on a Behringer PB1000 pedalboard (actually very good and sturdy) but replacing all this with a Hughes&Kettner Coreblade amp though, it blows my current setup out of the water, and does it again just to make sure it's dead I got one on order now, so excited to get it!
Old 12th October 2010
Lives for gear

update!

compared to this from a few pages back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by organsymphony View Post
Old 12th October 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdie View Post
hahaha what ever happened to velcro? heh
Old 14th October 2010
Here for the gear

dfegadVelcro sucks! The adhesive doesn't hold during the hot summer weather.fuuck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search