The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitarists - Show me your pedalboard! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnepo1 View Post
Thanks Darkhorse. I did start w/ Boss and Ross pedals in the day, many moons ago, until TC Electronic came out in the late 70's early 80's. The board is a DIY that took a lot of thinking and planning and website searching, primarily Bob Bradshaw designs and LASD as well as Vertex boards. The "loop block" at the bottom is a custom true bypass loop switch. It's made by Dan Burgess @ This1smyne.com. Very high quality build for little money. Dan's stuff is top notch, check out his site.
The cables, I DIY as well. I buy from Redco.com Mogami cables and Switchcraft and Neutrik plugs.
I'm pretty satisfied w/ the build, especially when it's a DIY. It's always fun to tweak w/ it for tonal capabilities, and yes it does take time to tweak. But that's part of the fun.
Yeah, I think we all started w Boss, they are the lead off to the pedal world. Not bad pedals but after the addiction sets in you really crave the boutique and high end stuff. I am still making my way trading and coping new boxes when I can. I have several I am looking to replace but no money these days. I just got my new Fulltones and my new dist boxes before the tent fell, I am pretty happy with them. Got a Hardwire Reverb for like $49 on sale, blew my mind, Lexicon for $49, great unit. I doubt I will ever have one solid line of the same make as hardly anyone makes everything I like. I dig Fulltone but just what I have, the Wah and the mighty Deja Vibe, not so sure of the Catalyst or the new Plimsoul. I also really want that new Ice ( VOS JS whenever it comes out.

I dig those flat profile jacks they seem to be switchcraft. I am a little leary about making my own cables and I would like to stay w gold. I have some core X2 cables and my gold couplers I am using now. Pretty cool not having any cables betwen pedals, I am lucky all mine are side plug pedals. Man, you have some T/C units I never knew existed.
Old 21st July 2010
Lives for gear

excuse the crappy pic . . . the one on the left is my everyday board with Fulltone Tape Echo. The one on the right I rebuilt this morning, and is a little more experimental.
Old 21st July 2010
Here for the gear

Post 284

jnepo, your board speaks to my anal-retentive side on a level that most will never understand...thats a work of art my friend!
Old 21st July 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix View Post
excuse the crappy pic . . . the one on the left is my everyday board with Fulltone Tape Echo. The one on the right I rebuilt this morning, and is a little more experimental.
nice!! fulltone tape echo = my most wanted pedal enjoy it!!!!!!
Old 22nd July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by polloymedio View Post
Me, too.
Old 22nd July 2010
Here for the gear

Used to have loads of stuff on there but was eventually trimmed down to a Budda Wah and a couple of really nice units from Montez over at FX Engineering Custom Pedals. Very cool guy, stock models are great and is more than happy to listen to requirements for custom pieces.
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Everything gets recorded through the Fulltone, even if the repeats are turned all the way down. I love that thing !!!!
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear
Very, very nice!
Old 22nd July 2010
Here for the gear

Alright, first-time poster. My set-up is currently:

'98 American Standard Telecaster

Boss OC-2 > Limited Edition Hot Pink Crybaby > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Double Muff > Boss TU-2 > Boss NS-2 > EHX Big Muff > Ernie Ball Volume Pedal > Morley A/B/Y Switch >

A) Boss TR-2 > MXR Phase 90 > Boss CE-2 >
Bugera 1960 thru a Fender Bandmaster 2x12

B) Orange AD-200 thru an Avatar 4x12

I have a Boss RC-20 that should arrive in a few days which I'll pre-record on and then most likely have to get another Morley so I can A/B it thru both amps as well.

Other than that, I'll be buying a Holy Grail Reverb in a couple weeks which I'll throw in after the volume pedal at which point my chain will be officially complete. Psyched.
Old 23rd July 2010
Lives for gear

I am just digging this thread, really interesting to see what other players are using.
updated the slant board I made: went to black fm the dark wood grain, reduced mounting clips, pedals better attached, hard mounted the rackmount tilt shelf, better power feed economy. Footswitch block on end can be moved around to side to allow for more room. I like using the hard coupler gold connectors instead of my short cables so everything has to be one long line. I have very little cable travel even from guitar to amp or loop runs (using Core X2).
Units on top edge are all in the loop.
No noise system, some great tones.

I think the no-pedal-purists get the wrong idea from complex and busy boards (that T/C board above is just amazing). It's not about having all these on at one time to cover bad playing, it's just about having cool tone options to take the sound places were a straight amp cannot go. I frequently might have just a couple boxes on like the Fat Boost and the BBE just to enhance a clean tone.

Like Satriani explained it: pedals expand your creativity and inspire you to play and write new things and ideas that you could have never done without the new tones the pedal helps create. (paraphrased)
Old 23rd July 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
$1200 plus the tape loops, must be nice, I am sure it is
Old 23rd July 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by piersonm View Post
Post 284

jnepo, your board speaks to my anal-retentive side on a level that most will never understand...thats a work of art my friend!

just amazing, he has T/C units I never knew existed
Old 23rd July 2010
Lives for gear
[QUOTE

Other than that, I'll be buying a Holy Grail Reverb in a couple weeks which I'll throw in after the volume pedal at which point my chain will be officially complete. Psyched.[/QUOTE]

I recently got a Hardwire RV-7 Reverb unit for $49 on sale. Lexicon reverbs in that puppy, really a sweet deal.
Old 23rd July 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by organsymphony View Post

The dynamic wah isn't mine, our synth player lent it me for that practice to try it out. Hence the weird cabling/positioning of it :P

Just FYI for all Whammy Users; you can run your tuner off the Whammy Dry out and it's out of your line completely. One less box, with less cables and jack feeds even w true by-pass helps the signal carry cap load. You can actually fed tuners with any spare output jack not in use, as everything is off when you tune anyway, it keeps it out of line reducing your chain.
Old 23rd July 2010
Here for the gear

Darkhorse, the board looks good in black!!!
Old 24th July 2010
Lives for gear

Small, simple, sweet.
Old 24th July 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka gimli View Post

Brad Whitford's Board (2006)

Joe Perry's Board (2006)
nice pedalboard.
im thinking of buying an aquapuss myself. what other analog delays would you recomend?
Old 25th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Just FYI for all Whammy Users; you can run your tuner off the Whammy Dry out and it's out of your line completely. One less box, with less cables and jack feeds even w true by-pass helps the signal carry cap load. You can actually fed tuners with any spare output jack not in use, as everything is off when you tune anyway, it keeps it out of line reducing your chain.
See i want to do that but i use the the tuner as a bypass switch to mute everything if i want to swap over guitars or anything as I don't have a A/B box, i was going to get one but don't really see the use as i'm not gigging that much anyway and i only need the other guitar for a couple of songs in the set, and i can get by without it.

So yeah I use the tuner as a bypass, and i'd lose that in the dry out of the whammy as the wet signal would still travel through... wait.. the dry signal wont come out of the wet out when the whammy is bypassed will it?

i'm such an idiot.

thanks!
Old 25th July 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnepo1 View Post
Darkhorse, the board looks good in black!!!
Thanks. Yeah, my wife suggested I redo it after seeing that guys T/C board, bloody amazing. I am so pleased w this board, I was over crowded on my ToneBone slant board so I decided to try and make my own board and I was blown away just how easy it was. I did not have to cut anything, just one rip at the store from a 24"x4' piece of figured birch plywood and I used the cut piece for the riser (I dig the slant myself) I glued and screwed in two 2x2 precut pieces on the bottom and back for brace support and it is so strong I can stand on it with the weight transfering right to the floor. $25 worth of wood, some screws, glue some stain and later the black paint and geessshhh saved me hundreds.

Black is the way to go for sure. I have lots of room on that puppy for future pedal addictions but I am really just trying to hand pick what I really like as well as what I can afford these days. Everything I have now just works great in the chain and with each other in various combinations. I am so much into the OCD and Fat Boost as my basic sound, they work with the dist as well for more options plus I have 2 clean boosts after which also really heavy up the dist characters.

I am still puzzling over where to put the little Vibe. I am old school and I always put modulation effects in the loop or end of chain, always worked and always got a better fuller sound. Yet so many guys run them into ODs or Dist boxes but I can never seem to get a good tone that way. I will probably try it again despite the little lovepedal is more a little modified phaser to sound more vibe pulse, it will do until I kidnap Santa for a Fulltone or that super cool Ubervibe a guy here turned me onto, yet the before thing works for phaser as well. What do some of you guys think, vibe before or after dirt??
Old 25th July 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
See i want to do that but i use the the tuner as a bypass switch to mute everything if i want to swap over guitars or anything as I don't have a A/B box, i was going to get one but don't really see the use as i'm not gigging that much anyway and i only need the other guitar for a couple of songs in the set, and i can get by without it.

So yeah I use the tuner as a bypass, and i'd lose that in the dry out of the whammy as the wet signal would still travel through... wait.. the dry signal wont come out of the wet out when the whammy is bypassed will it?

i'm such an idiot.

thanks!
No the Dry out on the Whammy is on all the time. Now my synth wah 2nd out is only an effect on out but not the Whammy. They even mention the tuner trick in the manual.

OH, I see, I never thought about the kill switch thing. I am used to just clicking my amp into standby for a beer exchange. I noticed those guys at Mod Tone put out an entire box that just kiil switches the line. Anyone use any Modtone some of those seem to be really interesting pedals?

I am not playing w the band anymore or gigging so I forgot about the guitar changing thing. I just pass this tip along FYI because it is a great way to get one more box out of your main signal path. Most guys think if something is true by-pass it does not matter and really w a quality box like that Poly tune (envy) I am sure there is not much to it but electrical physics applied to guitar amounts to any cable, jack or wire adds cap load (loss of high end and bandwidth) to your signal so the shorter cable runs and less boxes the better and truer the guitar signal.

I got into using hard gold connector couplers instead of my short cables and really I do think my signal is better for it and I was using some really high quality connector patch cables. Anyway, just a Tuner idea as most of us have some spare outs we never use and they can easily feed a tuner because we tune with nothing on it does nto matter where it is (but up front is ideal).

Say can that Poly Tune handle a full step detune to D without much issue?

It's a great Tuner deal if you can swing it, but you are right in rigging up what works for you.

I went through a lot of work when I got another Whammy on where to place it in the chain. Digitech agreed that it should be up front or close (mine is after the wah) for proper triggering. I was pleased to see Satriani agrees wah first then harmonizer pedals before dirt. He puts his Whammy late in the chain or possibly in one of his amp loops.

Because I use my Whammy for more for its harmonizer modes, not the usual wwweeeeoooo weirdness, it is up front for better triggering and tracking, and it does a really cool +/-8va and great 4ths/5ths up or down(other intervals as well but I find these the most musical), sounds killer into an OD or Dist.

My fav is a 4th up into some gain, sounds so J Beck I just dig it and unlike a lot of pitch shifter pedals the Whammy just harmonizes the note it does not care about key and that is really cool. Down side is that is is a monophonic tracking filter, the POG circuit is a polyphonic track but it only does octaves which is easier to signal divide.

The Whammy is a cool unit and often gets a bad rap as being a strange worthless novelty but its harmonizer modes are really great and track very accurately. The low octave on it tracks much better than any Boss octaver I ever had. Down side is there is no balance or mix control (you can also use just a full drop octave on the Whammy mode but you lose the straight guitar tone).

Just FYI if you are using the Whammy for the typical octave whammy weeeoooo stuff it can be placed later in the chain. Satch, Vai and Gilmour have done some very musical things with the effect. Give a listen to Gilmour using on his last solo effort he modulates a solo slowly sweeping the pedal up an octave, playing some runs and then slowly back down to reg pitch, sounds really cool and unique, first one I have heard to do it.

Anyway........
Old 26th July 2010
Lives for gear

update. tuner is now hooked to dry out of whammy, guitar direct into whammy, then whammy > fuzz factory > memory boy > holy grail.

cheers!
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
update. tuner is now hooked to dry out of whammy, guitar direct into whammy, then whammy > fuzz factory > memory boy > holy grail.

cheers!

Bravo. Tis, a cool idea especially for pedals like the Whammy that have dry outs.
I also dig you have the Whammy up front.

I went through a lot of research talking with Digitech and trials trying to find the best place. Tracking is better up front especially if you are using the harmonizer mode (which is what I mainly use it for) you can put the unit in a loop or chain end if you are doing the typical 8va weeeoooooo effect. I hardly ever use it for that unless I am doing that cool Gilmour trick of slowly pedalling up an octave and back down during a solo.

I seem to be able to get the "whale calls" as well just fine up front that sounds really cool w a trailing delay. Digitech says up front for better tracking, truer signal from the guitar for the circuit to divide.

I have had some tech guys and players claim to run dirt into pitch shifter type pedals but I cannot see how the fuzz signal can be accurately divided or pitched. The same said that a dist cannot handle a pitched signal or a harmony signal, I seem to have no problem at all using the Whammy in front and it is a killer defined tone.

Satriani has come to the best order on a board I have seen, but I am still not fond of the Vibe unit before OD or dirt, I just cannot get a good tone that way.

He runs Wah, mini POG, Std POG, Octavia unit, Vibe, (2) Vox JS DS Saturators (low and high gain,Vibe for lower gain, octavia for higher gain), (2) Vox JS timemachine delays (long and short delays) into loop of "wet" amp. (He runs a wet an dry amp.) Whammy is in the loop or at pedal chain end (but only used for octave pedal weeeoooo effect). Satch also trades off from the Fulltone to the Roger Mayer Vibe. (No sign yet of the Ice 9 OD or a prototype on his recent boards.) He dropped the Whammy off the Chickenfoot board. He also switches back and forth from Marshalls to his Peaveys signatures. He also prefers a good tube clean channel and uses the boxes for different tones. (All this verified on a recent vid of his tech walking through his Chickenfoot gear.I've also seen the last DVD live in Paris boards and the older HDnet live program.)

That Live in Paris DVD has just amazing tones, the best I have ever heard Joe get.
Old 29th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Bravo. Tis, a cool idea especially for pedals like the Whammy that have dry outs.
I also dig you have the Whammy up front.
I decided on putting it up front because i really like the sound of the pitch breaking up through the fuzz factory.

I'm generally using it as either the weeoooo on some more experimental type soloing or for the octave harmonizer so i felt it needed to be before the fuzz as pitching the already fuzzed sound just doesn't seem right. I don't really use the fuzz a lot though as obviously it can become quite fatiguing on the audiences ears. Its only used once or twice for when i need some insane nonsensical fuzz. I usually use a more dirty rather than distorted sound on the overdrive channel of my amp when i want some power in the guitar parts. otherwise most of my playing in my current band is clean.

I don't see the point in having it post delay or reverb even though i'd imagine that can give some interesting sounds.

When i bought it i KNEW i was sort of buying into quite a gimmicky pedal that is a little bit of a one trick pony, but i got it for a good price so i didn't mind and you can't deny its just bloody good fun to fool around with.
Old 29th July 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
I decided on putting it up front because i really like the sound of the pitch breaking up through the fuzz factory.

I'm generally using it as either the weeoooo on some more experimental type soloing or for the octave harmonizer so i felt it needed to be before the fuzz as pitching the already fuzzed sound just doesn't seem right. I don't really use the fuzz a lot though as obviously it can become quite fatiguing on the audiences ears. Its only used once or twice for when i need some insane nonsensical fuzz. I usually use a more dirty rather than distorted sound on the overdrive channel of my amp when I want some power in the guitar parts. otherwise most of my playing in my current band is clean.

I don't see the point in having it post delay or reverb even though I'd imagine that can give some interesting sounds.

When i bought it i KNEW i was sort of buying into quite a gimmicky pedal that is a little bit of a one trick pony, but i got it for a good price so i didn't mind and you can't deny its just bloody good fun to fool around with.

I felt the same way about the Whammy. I actually had one way back w the 1st release before anyone was using it. It became popular but more so on the octave pedal sweeps. I started getting into the harmonizer modes and man I love the tones in front of an OD or Dist, try a 4th up/dwn or a 5th and you will get these really cool tones like Jeff Beck fusion. It also does a decent octave or octavia effect up and dwn. I think the pedal gets a bad gimiky rap because of the always weeeeoo noises.

It has advantages over say the Boss pitch shifter as you do not need to select a key to harmonize in. Whatever you play it simply divides. Provides a lot of freedom in expression because most of us stay in key anyway and this allows you to cross key into relevant minors and such without having to reselect the key toggle. The tracking I think is better than the Boss ocatave unit which I used to call the glitch-master. It does a decent octavia effect in front of your gains, the only downside is that there is no level or mix control. I play through all types of clean and hot depends on my mood, I like to have options.

Since you dig the octave mode on the Whammy try that Gimour technique of playing a lead run and slowly pushing the pedal going up into an octave, on a sustained note then playing passages in the high mode, then sustain a note and slowly bring it back down to std pitch, it is very dramatic and an amazing effect. I have never seen anyone use a Whammy like that.

I discussed the Whammy unit several times with the techs at Digitech and they agreed w me that the unit should be up front of the chain for proper true guitar signal for the unit to be able to track properly. I got confused on this because I saw both Satch and Vai have this at apparent pedal chain end and it confused me, but I realized they were using it for the weeeooooo effect mode and you can get away with that being in other positions, but, I still think, like you have yours, it's effective and works up front.

Some notable "authorities" have claimed that dirt should be in front of harmonizer type effects because "a gain pedal cannot handle a complex signal", and yes that is somewhat true, you cannot play complex chord intervals through most distortions. That is a given, fuzz even less, BUT, harmonizer effects are not multiplying complex intervals but simple basic ocataves and common 4ths and 5ths. Any distortion can track a 5th chord which has become known as the "power chord" and is the foundation of all rock and metal playing. Therefore the harmonizer works fine and better before gains and ODs. How can a sensitive tracking filter handle a fuzzed up distorted signal and accurately split and divide it, it does not seem to make good sound physics. Satriani and a few others are my pedal board bench marks for proper position of effects to compare and question issues. Satch puts both his mini POD and std POD after his wah and before his gains.

I love this effect and I think maybe it is more a matter of what Vibe you have and what OD or gain BUT I cannot get a really good tone with it in front of OD or gain no matter what I do.

I just repluged my little Lovepedal Vibe (which is more a tweaked phase but still gets a cool vibe pulse, until I can somehow afford a better unit. I did have the Voodoo Lab and it was the same result as here) I can get a decent warble in front of the OCD if I tone down the OCD, very Trower like, but, terrible in front of the Satchurator dist. It gets a similar result if fed into a gained tube channel, a dist warble which can be cool.

Do not see how Satch does it, I suspect that Roger Mayer unit is so damn good it will not be stopped. In front of my Metal Planet works and yet I find the same problems as usual with this method. The sweep range, and boldness of the effect is greatly diminished, on some gain levels I cannot even hear the sweep pluse at all, it thickens the dist voice but all sense of the sound of the Vibe I love is lost.

I dig the old classic Band of Gypsys Univibe tone where I first heard the efect, and we have much better units than Jimi had. He would not dream of putting the Univibe in front of the old Fuzz Face as it could not handle it. He also used the Vox wah prefered over the Crybaby because he said the Fuzz Face did not like the latter. Do not confuse the modern units we have now as they are much better tech than anything they ever dreamed of back then. Sure simple diodes and trans, caps were more plentiful because they were made in tremendous quanitities and you could bin them out better in tollerances. But they had no idea about cap load on cables or effects or the benefits of true by-pass or op amp line buffer driver circuits that simply did not exist.

Anyway, Vibe in front or after gains, I hear various uses. I always find I get better sounds with modulator pedals in the loop, which is much better than chain end running into the amp-in for me anyway. I find the basic rule to remain consistant. Vibe, Phase, or Flange before gains = big dist, after = bigger phase, vibe, or flange.

There might be some reason some players would want or desire the reduced sweep and boldness before their gains to agument their dist or OD BUT there is no way you can say that they do not sound good at chain end or in the loop. If you like the old New Rising Sun or Machine Gun univibe tone that is where you are going to hear it. Even Trowers older classic tone monster tunes like Bridge of Sighs is after, including his flanger era. They had no loops back then but for me the loop is much better getting around the compression and dist squeeze of the tube gains. Jimi was amp in through high vol Marshalls but you have to remember they were relying on the drive of their pickups which back then which were rather weak compared to the monsters we get today.

Ever heard a chorus before gains or a delay, just terrible, but some do it. You can make it work by adjusting the chorus into more a flange tone removing the delay (a chorus is a mix of flange and short signal delay).

It's been my experience a good player can take any tone and rangle something good out of it and I think this is the case with a lot of pedal placement. Obviously some are just using a lower fi sound and placement to get a worse tone as something novel or different and there nothing wrong with that really.

But if you really want to heard the full lush range and tone of the unit it does sound and work better in the right place. Hence my tracking issue with the Whammy pedal and harmonizers. Some things simply do sound better and are more in align w sound physics in certain places. I know of none of the popular multi-processors who place compressors after gains or modulators in front of gains as they follow the basic rules of sonic bandwidth.

anyway.....time for me to shut up and play....I am just an old school player trying to pass on what I have learned in many years, please do not be offended, it's just FYI from a long time pedal addict and tone seeker
Old 29th July 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesarvin View Post
Small, simple, sweet.

Curious, I use the Contour Vai II wah where is this in your chain, is this after the other effects? How do you like this wah? I have mixed views about it. On one hand I dig the Morely tech, no moving pots to wear out and the unit has a great line driver buffer amp. But sometimes I long for a killer Fulltone but I remember the problems with pot wahs. They do wear out, it's just physics. Where do you like the contour option? I always seem to go back to the std mode which really that touch on/off is just too cool, no more mashing for the on switch or screwing up a line to get it on or off. It has major advantages I am surprised the pot maker wahs do not pick up on.
Old 29th July 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman2k5 View Post
nice pedalboard.
im thinking of buying an aquapuss myself. what other analog delays would you recomend?

Major cool, I just saw this. I cannot identify all the pedals is anyone able to list them? Way Huge makes great stuff. I dig the Vox JS timemachine but that is digital I think. Analog is limited to short delays of usually 500ms and the bucket brigade line naturally caps off the high end making the "warmer" notion of the analog. I do not like the Boss delays, blasphemeous as that might sound. Some digitals are cool and can do the roll off thing like the old analog. I also hear that MXR carbon copy is a good analog unit.

I have pictures of Trower's line and Satch's last one I will try to transfer in here.
Old 29th July 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvetstudios
non-flash photography version:

flash photography version:

slut! heh
thank you - since then, they've been racked like this:

eight pedals are being connected to a carl martin octoswitch which will pull out from under the rack.

the carl martin also has effects sends which will go to the patch bay in the rack from more flexible routing of rack effects.
Old 30th July 2010
Lives for gear
tastier - very nice.
Old 30th July 2010
Gear Head

My pedaltrain pro board finally arrived :D here are some pics, hope you like it!

Attachment 185125Attachment 185126
Old 31st July 2010
Here for the gear

My small board:[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search