The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
cabinet recording help please! Condenser Microphones
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

cabinet recording help please!

Hey guys, I apologize is if this in the wrong section. long time lurker here, and I have a moderate setup and looking for a specific guitar sound, was wondering if you can help me out.

I am looking for a guitar tone like A Perfect Circle. My main guitar setup..

PRS CE 24
Mesa Dual Rectifier
Mesa 2x12

Shure SM57 on the speaker edge going to a Vintech X73 into an Apogee AD digitally into Pro Tools.

The room is treated, the amp sounds perfect in the room, just how I'd want it to sound. I tried the method of getting on my hands and knees and finding the sound in the speaker where it sounds full using the buzz of the guitar cable. That worked pretty well - it sounds pretty full but it still sounds "boxy"? If i could get rid of that boxiness I think it would be usable.

I am wondering if i should put a large diaphragm condenser (neumann) on it, is it safe to put it up to the speaker like that? Or should I put it a few inches out?

Thanks for any assistance.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Have you tried placing another mic about three feet from the speaker, send that mic to a different pre? How big is the room?

DaveT
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks for the advice. Should the 2nd mic be condenser or dynamic?

Room is about 8'x12'
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoundofsatan View Post
Thanks for the advice. Should the 2nd mic be condenser or dynamic?

Room is about 8'x12'
I use a Studio Projects C-1. It's an omni condenser. If you have a large diaphram condenser with a cardioid pickup pattern I would try that first. My C-1 picks up more room than I like. Also, your room is a bit small and will create standing waves that an omni with hear.

So, try a large diaphram/cartioid.
DaveT
Old 6th September 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks for the tip!

I used a Neumann TLM103 a few inches back from the speaker and blended them together, sounds pretty nice now.

Thanks again
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

try moving the 57 in on the cone a little bit. if you say you're not happy with the recorded sound, the first step should always be move the mic, not add another one. fix what ya got first, then experiment.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanvacha View Post
try moving the 57 in on the cone a little bit. if you say you're not happy with the recorded sound, the first step should always be move the mic, not add another one. fix what ya got first, then experiment.

I agree, if you can't get things sounding good with a 57 alone then there's other problems going on.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search