The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
change out the pots? Saturation Plugins
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

change out the pots?

This thread is just slightly different than the caps thread but i didnt want to distract from that thread. I learned alot as far as changed caps out, but from what I can gather it only makes a difference at lower volumes. Im playing guitar again in a punk band and my guitar is a bit trebly. I run the volumes wide open all the time so changing the caps may not do me much good. I read in wikipedia that my guitar is supposed to have at least 500k pots, not the 250k pots that are in there. Its a 72 tele deluxe. Apprently the orignals had 1meg pots. It said to change the pots out to 500k and I would notice a much hotter, less trebly signal. Any experience with stuff like that? Also what brand pots should I get. Im transitioning into a new job so i have literally no money to spend, and it uses 4 pots, so $50 a pot would be out of my price range.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Higher value pots will raise the resonate frequency, making it sound brighter.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

Your right, i got confused. Would it bring out the bite in my pickups though? Im just not quite sure what i dont like about this guitar, but it def has to do with the tone. I love so much about this guitar i just wanna get the tone nailed down. The tone sounds weak and indie rocky. Im looking for a more in your face punk/stoner rock sound. I know thats kinda an oxymoron but something that is a little dark with alot of bite.

Id replace the pickups but it uses wierd size humbuckers and id have to replace the pickguard too and then it starts to get kinda pricey.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Ask Pete @ Vintage Vibe Guitars to build you some drop-in replacements. Tell him what kind of tone you're after. He's great to work with and makes superb pickups.

Short of new pickups, it sounds like you'd like the results from the no load tone pots that Jim suggested in the other thread. That will open up the sound and give you some added gain. It won't make the guitar any less bright though. And, of course, try adjusting the pickup height.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

72 del. is too trebly? the one w/ the humbuckers? what amp?
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Yea it is the one with the humbuckers, but its still a fender. Its a crate blue voodoo amp, which is a pretty meaty amp to begin with. Im thinking harder and harder about just replacing the bridge pickup becuase I dont think changing the pot values is going to give me as much of a difference as I want. This is a new one too, not one of the old ones. The originals sound a little different.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search