The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
15" speaker for guitar
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

15" speaker for guitar

I have a bit of an odd question. Will a 15" speaker sound OK for guitar? I imagine it would, but dunno if the highs might be buried. I'm playing a gig where I'm offered a Showman head (I like that part) but with a 15" in a cab, and I'm too cheap to rent another cab.

Thanks,
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

I LOVE 15" speakers for guitar. Back in the day (way back) a 15 was in all of the top of the line amps: The Fender Pro, Vibroverb, Showman, etc...The Standel 25L15...Magnatone 150, 180...and others that I can't think of. These were all the most expensive amps by those brands. You won't notice a loss of highs (especially if its a JBL) and the lows won't distort at all. That's why steel players love them too.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Guru

15's are great if you're teamed up with the right amp to push them.

As long as you're using a full range 15" you should notice a much more defined
bottom and very little loss in the high end.

Great set-up for slide guitar.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks, guys. It is a Showman head, I beleive late 60's, so I don't know the wattage, will have to find out. But I know will be very schweet. I did find out the speaker is quite old (but well treated), so is well broken in, am happy about that. I'm sure the setup will sound fine, and will stick with a Strat, so high-end shouldn't be a prob.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

30-some-odd years ago I owned a Fender Dual Showman cabinet that came loaded with a pair of JBL D-Series 15" drivers. Used it with a Fender Bassman 50 head.

I'm not sure I've ever gotten as clean, rich, beautifully full sounding a guitar tone since.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

even hendrix used a dual showman head and cab, which had 2x15" JBL's.

the dual showman head was a showman with a 4ohm output transformer for the "dual" jbls.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Head

It's hard to talk speaker tone without bringing up the Weber VST website. You can learn a lot about the many variables that affect tone (cone, magnet, voice coil type and size, surround, etc).

I picked up their 15" 15F150 about three years ago and have been very happy. It's got gobs of Fender/Jensen tone but with bigger magnet and 1-1/2" voice coil which brings it into Celestion territory. For a 15" it's got all the high end sizzle you could want.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

I still got a k130(1975?) jbl alnico 15" that I keep going back to. Really sounds great.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Guru

If you want cleans, it's hard to beat a 15", however you're getting loud if you
want it to break up and that's where the Showmans came in.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search