The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mexican P bass Good ?
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

mexican P bass Good ?

I need A New bass now and cheap . On the road My Good bass was broken .
Whats a good stop gap bass guitar similar to a P .
thanks
gary
Old 4th September 2007
wmitty
Mexican Strat
Mexican Pbass

Mexican food
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
Mexican Strat
Mexican Pbass

Mexican food
i agree
on all counts
my mexican strat blemished
and therby $299
is amazing.....
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

My experiences have been slightly different. I have a Mexican tele that is my favorite guitar of all time. However, the last time I went bass shopping, I found a huge disparity between the Mexican P-basses and the Americans. Huge.

That being said, I don't have anything on the cheap to recomend in its place. So unless you want to save up for a nice one...

-Jp
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

They're fine. Just find a shop that has plenty and play as many as you can. One or two will stand out.

m
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

I agree. They are a good value for the money but try out a few.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Wow , great guys , thanks
I guess Ill try to play a bunch
and see what sticks
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmitty View Post

Mexican food

for the price - it's a no brainer (the bass that is . . . )
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

Occasionally a less than stellar batch of Mexi's gets out there. It wasn't any different back in the 60's and was far worse in the 70's.
If you keep checking you'll find a great one. I have a Mexi Tele with Barden PU's that smokes (everyone thinks its an American one after they play it but I'm not talkin, although if they looked at the serial number they'd know). $180 used- even adding in the Bardens its a good price.

Keep searchin-great MExi basses are out there too- I know, I've played a couple.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

I'm still using the standard mexi P I started learning on (as well as a nice P from 1969). Maybe it's just the nostalgia talking, but the sound works for me.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

of course every one will be different and hopefully you can try it before you buy it. i love my mexi p bass. i replaced the pickups with seymour duncan vintage replacement but that wouldn't be required to get a good sound. it was given to me by my brother who paid just $150 in a pawn shop in NC.. it is extremely light and i don't even know what the wood is but it sounds fine. in fact when he gave it to me i then sold my "made in japan" jazz bass because i like the mexi p bass more. once again they will all vary.

MySpace.com - Snuzz - Winston Salem, North Carolina - Alternative - www.myspace.com/snuzz
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear
I bought a Mexican Strat in 1994, $249.00. New pickups, pickguard, graphite saddles from GraphTech, roller string trees, blocked the tremolo, and the guitar still sounds totally killer. This is one guitar I will never sell.

So, yea, I'd say go for the Mexi P Bass.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I tried convincing myself that a Mexican Fender would do the job, just to save a bit of money.

After trying loads of basses in London I decided that getting a new Mexican was a bad idea, although I did take to an early 90's one, I decided to get an American Jazz.

I heard the new Japs were good value for money but I thought they were crap.

My advice would be to look for an older Mexican or get an American - you know you wanna!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I had a realtively new (2000ish) Mexican P-bass that had a really weak neck or a bad truss rod. Required constant adjustment. After a week or so, the action would end up ridiculously high again. I ended up giving it to my nephew. He didn't seem to mind.

It was cheap though.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

I swapped the stock p/u in my mexi P-bass with a Fender reissue '61, and now I love it. The action is on the high side to get around some fret buzz, but other than that it's a totally solid instrument.
Old 5th September 2007
I love my mexican P Bass. It's a mid to late 90's that sounds and plays every bit as good as a decent american P bass.

However!

Fender has never heard of quality control. Play as many as possible. Search Craigslist if you have the time to go hunting for a good one.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search