The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar Amp Recording - New SOS Article Ribbon Microphones
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

Guitar Amp Recording - New SOS Article

This months Sound on Sound magazine has a great article this month, where they have gone through a lot of interviews with various producers and try out their mic techniques for recording electric guitars. This article is wonderful because it looks like something I would want to try but I never have the time to do. There are quite a few of the audio samples online and I think its very educational:

SOS

The only thing I saw lacking was a nod towards Michael Wagener, who should have been part of this article, as his technique using only ribbons at extremely close range for heavy guitar is a little different from any of the other ways mentioned in the article.

My favorite clip for this particular example was the Joe Barresi one with two 57's (one on and one off axis), although I always tend to prefer the Royer 121 when I am recording myself.

Enjoy.
Old 3rd September 2007

thumbsup nice one!

Interestig to hear the different mics' tonalities!

PS How are you liking the EVH amp?
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

I love it and everyone who hears it loves it and wants one. Unfortunately I have to be out of town for a few weeks and it's making me want to cry. I have a "mobile" studio but I have to use modeling while I am on the road. It's like eating salad every meal with no dressing.....

Have you tried one at the store yet?

S
Old 4th September 2007

No... I seriously wanna give one a try. Can imagine they're out o fmy price range in the UK though
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search