The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar amp speakers - the more the merrier? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

Guitar amp speakers - the more the merrier?

I've currently been recording more electric guitar. I'm wondering if adding an extension speaker cab will be better in so far as mic placement / getting more tone variations, etc.

The amp I'm using is a 65 Amps Soho (20 watt) with one Celestion G12H30.

Thanks!
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Are you talking about having a variety of speakers and possibly cabinets? If so then yeah it's a great idea. It's almost like having different mics and different drum kits and guitars etc...Some speakers are going to work better for certain applications and some cabs are going to work better. For example I can't live without my 4x12 loaded with V30's. I also have a 1x12 with a greenback. I'm now looking for a 2x12 with yet another different flavor of speaker. The more the merrier I say. Just take a look at Michael Wagener's collection of cabs and speakers.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

Having worked with 65 Amps a bunch and knowing Dan Boul from 65, the obvious chioce for that amp is to use a Celestion Blue with it. Their 2x12s use a G12H30 and a Celestion Blue with stellar results. I've also used a very old Marshall cab with Scumback M75's (pre rola Celestion clones). Again sounded great, but this was with 65 Amp London head.

Some speakers just work so well with certain amps and some not so copacetic.

If you go to the Southbay Ampworks page (who makes the Scumback speakers) there's piles of clips of their speakers with the65 Amps London to hear differences. Might help you define the sound your looking for...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search