The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ampeg B15S Early 70s 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

Ampeg B15S Early 70s

HEllo,

I have a chance to get an Ampeg B15S Early 70s b ass amp for about $950 and price is negotiable. Is this a good deal? I'm picking it up for the studio.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

What does S stand for, is that the solid state version?
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

The "S" is for solid state, as in the rectifier is SS. It's still a tube amp though. There was an all ss version with a different name. I have a B-15S and I can tell you they sound great. The S version also has a line out (post EQ) which I like to send to an API for times when the speaker adds too much flavor and a DI won't cut it.
As for the cost, I didn't pay nearly that much for mine, but that was 10 years ago. Still, I think that might be a bit high. They do have issues. Creaky cabinets and other mystery vibrations, plus all the other fun stuff that goes with owning vintage tube amps.
Old 10th November 2007
I paid $400 for mine a couple months ago.
Old 2nd February 2008
Here for the gear

b15 s

hey there
I just got a b15s from Mike Merritt. It is a very cool amp...he gave it to me for a song,almost literally! It is a big sounding bass amp. I couldn't be more pleased
-Craig
Old 6th February 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah, the "S" versions are really cool. Not as mushy as the older ones....not that the older ones are a bad thing...but, probably more versatile than the 60s versions. It'd be nice to find it for cheaper, but a vintage tube head with cab for under a grand....not a bad deal.

m
Old 7th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Two things I don't dig about the S...the SS rec and the lack of a double baffle cab. I have a 64 B-15N and I'm not sure what you mean by "mushy." Even the Ampeg book considered it a step backward when they put back the 5AR4 instead of the SS rec, but I really don't hear this mushiness it allegedly adds.
Old 7th February 2008
Lives for gear

Bad choice of words...that's why talking about sound is so tough. I guess I mean the slowness of tube recto vs. a ss recto. The same with any tube amp when they switched over to an ss recto. There is a diff and some like the old, some like the new.

m
Old 8th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Ya, sound is a weird thing to put into words. I don't know...I've always considered response speed a function of the speakers. And before I got thrown off Talkbass, there was a huge thread debating this very thing. I really don't hear it, but then again, I'm a gigantic tube amp fan (I do love my Markbass, though), so I don't hear the things non-tube fans hear and dislike. All I hear is sweetness
Old 11th April 2008
Here for the gear

I have a line on a B-15S as well. All original save for an Eminence Kappa speaker. The guy has $850 in it and that's what he's asking for it. It's actually the same guy that bought my SVT rig three years ago. He has that, a B-15N, a B-18, and two B-15S models, so I'm thinking that he knows the going rate. He's actually offered to let me pick the head & cab that I want out of the two B-15Ss... but he's keeping the one original Altec upgrade speaker. These amps used to go for $400... are they increasing in value because the 60's amps are getting harder to find... or are they actually gaining some street cred? I'm tempted, but I can also get a new Genz Benz Shuttle combo for less and have <20lb. of bass amp to cart around instead of 120lb. (Although vintage always trumps tiny any day.) Help?!?
Old 14th June 2010
Gear Addict

i have a b15s - it doesn;t have anything labelled as a line out - just ext amp and ext speaker.

is the ext amp a line out?

if i were to use that would i have to have the speaker hooked up as well? i know there is some deal with amp heads having to always be hooked up to speakers etc... but i am new to separate heads/cabs so school me here.
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninc View Post
i have a b15s - it doesn;t have anything labelled as a line out - just ext amp and ext speaker.

is the ext amp a line out?

if i were to use that would i have to have the speaker hooked up as well? i know there is some deal with amp heads having to always be hooked up to speakers etc... but i am new to separate heads/cabs so school me here.
Yes, it's the ext amp out. Line out might not be the best thing to call it. Preamp out is more accurate. You still need a speaker or dummy load connected to the amp.
Old 15th June 2010
Gear Addict

how do you set up a dummy load?
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
how do you set up a dummy load?
Use one of the many products that work as a dummy load. THD Hot Plate is one example. You can use a 100 watt, 8 ohm power resistor as well.
Old 15th June 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAVD View Post
Yes, it's the ext amp out. Line out might not be the best thing to call it. Preamp out is more accurate. You still need a speaker or dummy load connected to the amp.
so this will not go through the entire tube circuit? i was basically wondering if i could use the head as a sweet tube DI.
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
so this will not go through the entire tube circuit? i was basically wondering if i could use the head as a sweet tube DI.
It's taken just prior to the phase splitter so you do have all the good tubiness of the preamp and eq. It's unbalanced so you'll need a transformer to get it down to mic level (if you looking for a true DI) or simply run it unbalanced into your desk or interface.

If you want to get a line level signal that includes the power tubes, a cheap ProCo DB1 does the trick (plugged into the ext speaker jack this time).
Old 17th November 2012
Here for the gear

ampeg B15S cab replica

Hi there, I am new at gearslutz, and am trying to learn a little bit more about old ampegs.

I own a B15S (magnavox) but the cabinet is missing, i only have the "head"(wich sounds fantastic) and the matching lid. I am from Belgium and I know that B15 were not available in Europe so it is very hard to find an original cab.

I know that I can order a replica at fliptops.net but the shipping and customs cost will be too high for me, so I decided to build a replica myself with the help of a friend who works in a joiner workshop.

But the problem is that I can't find any framework or schematics of these cabinets.

Can someone give me the dimensions or informations about these cabs?
Wich speaker would be the most appropriate for a reasonnable cost?

Any advice and info would be appreciated

Thanks
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search