The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
60's Fender Jazz Bass
Old 30th August 2007
no ssl yet 
60's Fender Jazz Bass

Ok so I have this old 60's Fender jazz bass (At least I think it is, I can't find a serial match to identify it.)

But it has a hum/ground problem that I understand to be common in Fenders from then. My first thought was to shield it. But when I also get volume drop outs and the pots only work when in a certain position and not in others.

A friend of mine played it and recommended I change to Bartolini pickups and change the electronics. I have a Lakland 5 string with Bartolinis and I like them, but I don't want to go away from the tone of passive old Fenders. Also I'm not familiar with how much of a difference changing the pickups will make, and I don't know that the old ones need changing.

A great bass player friend of mine always said that it's best to leave old basses be instead of attempting to update the electronics etc.. He suggests if you want a different sound, pick up a different bass.

So guys, I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron. I know I need new pots on the bass, What else does it sound like I need from my assessment?

Also I've been looking at prices for bass parts online. It seems the tuning keys are one of the most expensive parts along with the kneck and body. I would have figured the electronics would be more of a factor (UNless of course the sound comes from the bass itself, and the other parts only influence the sound some).

What's the case here?
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Guru

DO NOT MAKE ANY MODS!

Correct period restoration only and then be careful.

If you remove the neck, the date should be stamped on the neck
and you should see a serial number on the chrome back plate.
Old 30th August 2007
no ssl yet 
I have a serial on the kneck so I'm thinking it may not be an authentic 60's bass.

I don't have any numbers on the plate. I took the neck off and I couldn't find any.

So should I just put new pots on it and leave the rest?

I also need to get rid of the hum/noise.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

DUDE, 60's Fender Jazz Basses are worth a FORTUNE!! DO NOT, repeat DO NOT mod it.
Take it to a guitar shop and have them tell you the specs first before changing anything.

60's Fender guitars and basses are worth gold.

Maybe you can send me a pict.

I use to collect 60's and 70's Fender basses. Never lost a penny. Very easy to sell.
Old 30th August 2007
no ssl yet 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hle144 View Post
DUDE, 60's Fender Jazz Basses are worth a FORTUNE!! DO NOT, repeat DO NOT mod it.
Take it to a guitar shop and have them tell you the specs first before changing anything.

60's Fender guitars and basses are worth gold.

Maybe you can send me a pict.

I use to collect 60's and 70's Fender basses. Never lost a penny. Very easy to sell.
Ok I get the point. I'll have it checked out. The bass was a gift,so I don't see selling it. The guy that started me out in music as a child gave it to me,so it has a sentimental value. I know it's pretty old because the guy had it for over 20 years before he gave it to me in the 90s.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Head

STOP!

like he said... DO NOT TOUCH THAT BASS!!

do you know how heartbreaking it is when one who cares about such things comes across a vintage instrument which has been refinished, it's pickups changed, or it's machineheads replaced? mutilation!! heartbreaking!!

this site is very handing for help with dating vintage fenders :

Vintage Guitars Info - Fender, collecting vintage guitars fender stratocaster, strat, telecaster, tele

you should also post some pictures here if you'd like some feedback on it's age.

if you do find it is a vintage instrument, please leave it untouched! or, you could sell it, and buy a nice shiny, quiet new one, and a couple of 1073's with the change (depending on it's age and condition. i've seen early 60's stackknob jazz basses go for around $30k+)

noise is part of instruments this age.. but, make sure you have both pick-up volumes on full : that will cancel the hum. you should also experiment with the position of the bass whilst recording.. you will most likely find as you move around with the bass (particularly the direction you are facing) the hum will decrease/increase.

let's see the bass!

good luck

sd
Old 30th August 2007
no ssl yet 
Gotta find a cam, I only have a cellphone. I'll borrow a cam tomorrow and throw up some pics.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Just joining the crowd - DO NOT MAKE MODS!
Old 30th August 2007
no ssl yet 
OK guys I don't have the cam, but after looking at vintage Fenders I'm beginning to think this one is not one of them. The Fender insignia doesn't match what I see on the classic sites. Also, at what point did Fender start putting square inlays into the necks?

If it's not a vintage bass, it's a pretty good sounding Bass. It's often more appropriate for what I do than my Lakland 5 string is. (Which reminds me, am I the only one who wonders why Laklands don't ship with a lighter string set?)
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Guru

You date a Fender bass 3 ways:

1. The serial number on the neck plate.
2. The stamped date on the heel of the neck.
3. The 4-digit code stamped on the pots. A stamp of 6612, for example, means the pots were made in the 12th week of '66.

Like everyone else says, don't alter the bass in any way unless you absolutely have no recourse. If the pots are intermittent, chances are good they only need a good cleaning, which should be done by an experienced guitar tech.

Especially if the bass is all original, you need to treat it like the art piece that it is.

Rectangular inlays, btw, were first used in early '66.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

You guys would love the '66 Jazz bass I have hereheh

Especially the big square cut into the body that used to house a humbucker

Say no to the '70sheh
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear
Bartolinis in an old Fender? Whoever said that made baby jesus cry. That is horrible.

Keep it passive man..trust me.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Guru

Back in the 70's a friend of mine said he could re-finish the neck to my '64 Jazz Bass.

He was actually pretty good at doing this stuff and ended up working at PRS for a while.

UNFORTUNATELY, the stripper he used on the neck ate through the masking tape
and messed up the red headstock, he was attempting to save, so on a phone call
without seeing the damage, I told him to just do the best he could given the circumstances.

A week later I went to pick up the bass and the head stock was all natural and the
Fender decal was gone.

It doesn't affect the way the bass plays, but it does affect the value of the bass.

The only way I could correct the situation now is IF.... I can find a Fender Gold Label
authorized repair facility and pay considerably to have the neck completely restored
to period correct specifications.

I'm never selling the bass, so it doesn't really matter at this point, but if my kids ever
have to sell it, the repair will have to be done.

Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Nice bass.....great shot of it!

EDIT:
I'm such a bass slut.......I have no shame.

Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Guru

Nice Gibby too!

As you can see, we are both seriously devoted to yard work! heh
Old 2nd September 2007
500 series nutjob

do not do it!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search