The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Differences between Fender Musicmaster and Mustang Basses?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Differences between Fender Musicmaster and Mustang Basses?

I found both of them quite cheap and was wondering how they both sound compared to the P and J basses?
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

My biggest gripe about them is that they are short scale. I cant play short scale basses, i feel like they are a toy. They have completley different pickups so i wouldnt expect them to sound much like a jazz or a p. Ive played them but never plugged in. If you can get past the short scale they are probably pretty cool basses.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Very first bass guitar I ever played, way back in 1974, was a Mustang. Used that bass in my band for about 6 months when I was 13 years old. Four years later I got a Musicmaster bass, used that for another six months or so.

If I never play another entry-level Fender bass in my life, it'll be too soon.

Those things are pigs. And not necessarily because they're short-scale; there are a few 30" scale basses I've played that are cool for a variety of idiosyncratic reasons. But those Fenders just kinda go "blah" when you pluck their strings. No punch, no twang, just a false sense of deep that's only seems like it's low because it's got a really disproportionate balance of upper partials. I guess the nicest thing I could say about them is that they're cleaner than an EB-x series Gibson...but they have none of the character of those basses

(which are also pigs imho, but that's for another thread)

But enough nostalgia: a Mustang and/or a Musicmaster sound NOTHING like a Precision or Jazz Bass. Nothing.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I guess the nicest thing I could say about them is that they're cleaner than an EB-x series Gibson...but they have none of the character of those basses

Actually,

I love short scale basses, and my main bass is the Gibson EB reissue (called SG),
it's a great bass..
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Nut

Many years ago when I bought my Tascam 80-8, I borrowed my drummers music master bass, as I did not have a bass of my own to use. He had installed a solid brass bridge and nut as I recall. This made it sustain very well and gave it a brighter tone. The bass track sat in the mix beautifully, and to this day stands up as one of the nicer sounding bass tracks I've recorded. I found that in certain cases short scale basses can be very effective when recording. I bought and used a solid ash american P bass for about 15 years which always sounded nice on tape as well. Recently, my bass player brought over his Ibanez 505 5 string, and did a "slap" bass track on one of our recordings on the 80-8. It sounded beautiful, and fit the song perfectly. It's funny sometimes what will "sit in the mix" well. I've had musicians play on tracks with stuff I'd have never dreamed would work, only to find out that the strangeness of that track is what really made the recording "pop". At this stage in my life I don't rule anything out. If it works for you, use it.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Very first bass guitar I ever played, way back in 1974, was a Mustang. Used that bass in my band for about 6 months when I was 13 years old. Four years later I got a Musicmaster bass, used that for another six months or so.

If I never play another entry-level Fender bass in my life, it'll be too soon.

Those things are pigs. And not necessarily because they're short-scale; there are a few 30" scale basses I've played that are cool for a variety of idiosyncratic reasons. But those Fenders just kinda go "blah" when you pluck their strings. No punch, no twang, just a false sense of deep that's only seems like it's low because it's got a really disproportionate balance of upper partials. I guess the nicest thing I could say about them is that they're cleaner than an EB-x series Gibson...but they have none of the character of those basses

(which are also pigs imho, but that's for another thread)

But enough nostalgia: a Mustang and/or a Musicmaster sound NOTHING like a Precision or Jazz Bass. Nothing.

I have the complete opposite feeling about the mustang bass.

I have a 1969 Mustang bass and love it. the sound is not dissimilar to a P bass (similar pickup design) but the combination of short scale + through body strings make the tone quite special. The guy from Air is using one as his main bass so if you want to have an idea of out it sound check any Air album.
my brother have an old Musicmaster, so I'm familiar with them but I don't like the tone as much as the Mustang. I have some nice other vintage basses ( Mosrite, Fender Jazz bass, Bass VI...) But I'm using the Mustang really often.
Unfortunately people are starting to realise that they are great so the price on the vintage market is going up.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have a buddy with some extra 1967 Mustang Fenders if anyone is interested
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've got a MIJ Mustang Bass RI that I love. It's not perfect for every song, but it's great for many of them. I've got tendonitus, so the short scale can be very forgiving if my hands are in a bad mood.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Mustang bass had a split pickup and the Musicmaster had a one-piece pickup. Similar in the hardware and wood dept.

I love Short scale basses. It's a different sound. Danelecto short scale basses are great too.

Get those Made in USA Musicmasters while you can. They're gonna go up.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Mustang bass had a split pickup and the Musicmaster had a one-piece pickup. Similar in the hardware and wood dept.

I love Short scale basses. It's a different sound. Danelecto short scale basses are great too.

Get those Made in USA Musicmasters while you can. They're gonna go up.
Just to add that the Mustang has a through body bridge and string dampening system. not the Musicmaster.
Also the Musicmaster has no "body contour".
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncival View Post
I have a buddy with some extra 1967 Mustang Fenders if anyone is interested
I almost pm'd you. then i realized what you were actually saying.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search