The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Boss RE-20 Space Echo: Anyone tried it out yet? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Boss RE-20 Space Echo: Anyone tried it out yet?

hey folks
just wondering if any of you cats have had a chance to give the new Boss SpaceEcho pedal reissue a whirl?

if so, thoughts?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, we have one. In comparison to our RE301 - very close if the gain structure is similar. One of the very few boss pedals I actually like

Yuri
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
In comparison to our RE301 - very close if the gain structure is similar.
So does that mean that it also gives you nasty, grainy, solid-state distortion if pushed hard?

The Space Echo is one of those things that's supposed to be a cheap, creaky, personality-laden vintage tool.... but it's become unduly expensive because hipsters think it's fashionable.... can't blame them though. It's fun.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, its all that. Has character. Doesnt quite get as grungy like the RE301 pushed hard on the front end but very close
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I played with one at the local Banjo Center, usa tele into deluxe reissue. Really good sounding, doesn't break up as much as the real 301 but I think that's because there's no boost circuit. If you crank the input gain, it puts a little heat on the signal. As far as the delay goes, it sounds very accurate in comparison to an original 301. I'm trying to talk my guitar player into getting one, cuz something is always going wrong with his 301.

cheers
g
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Cool... I'm just trying to weigh whether its worth another $250 for my live rig or if I'm happy enough with the pedal I've got. I don't really feel like taking an original out on the road...
Old 6th September 2007
I have a real 201 that's broken right now. That's one upside of the pedal. Although I can't say the pedal will last longer, it helps to have a 30 year head start. I wonder if it models the space echo in being noisy as hell and a slight dulling of the guitar tone even when bypassed. Does it make a jangly explosion when you kick it? Does it do the delayed ramping up and down if you change the delay time quickly? Just how accurate is it? These are all important parts of the Space Echo's appeal

I can't imagine liking a digital pedal doing a classic analog thing. Nothing digital I've used really sounds like spring reverb or tape delay. That's the reason I couldn't use a digital box on guitar anymore - I've been spoiled.

On a side note, one thing I thought was weird is that the standard delay in Logic sounds much more similar to the characteristics of the Space Echo than the "tape" delay they had. It makes me wonder if people recreating these effects these days really understand what vintage gear is all about

If I could try it out I might be swayed... right now I'm just going to say I don't trust it!
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

One of my guitar students bought this pedal, and he was raving about it. He's got all sorts of high-end guitar gear and knows what he's talking about.

I had him over to my house and we did a big echo comparison...

Maxon AD80 vs Boss RE-20 Space Echo vs Fulltone Tube Tape Echo.

To make a LONG story short...I'm selling my maxon, an RE-20 is arriving at my doorstep tomorrow, I'll continue to use the TTE in the studio.

The buffer in the maxon was better than the boss, but the boss effect was 85% of what the TTE is, but the TTE can't hold up to the road. The Boss suits my needs perfectly.

The reverb is usable, too. Much better than a EH Holy Grail.

Two big thumbs up on the RE-20. This is coming from a rockabilly guy, so delay is VERY important to me.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I have messed with the RE-20. Sounds like a digital delay to me. I was looking for something with character and vibe. Definitely not here. Does not hold a candle to an old tape echo or analog delay. This certainly won't be replacing my SIB Echodrive or Ibanez AD-80.

For a vibey digital delay pedal, the EH #1 Echo is the way to go....for price ($100) and sound.

To each his own though....
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROK View Post
I have messed with the RE-20. Sounds like a digital delay to me. I was looking for something with character and vibe. Definitely not here. Does not hold a candle to an old tape echo or analog delay. This certainly won't be replacing my SIB Echodrive or Ibanez AD-80.

For a vibey digital delay pedal, the EH #1 Echo is the way to go....for price ($100) and sound.

To each his own though....
You're kidding me...

A real tape delay should have lots of fidelity...which this has, but it still has warmth. It doesn't have the inconsitent "character" of my Fulltone, or my Echoplex EP-1, but the actual delay sound is very close.

Frankly, my Maxon is more low-fi and still has lots of character. But it doesn't have the bandwidth of a tape echo. Nor does it try too. The boss is definately in the ballpark of a real tape echo. Good enough for my live rig (my Fulltone can't survive a fall out of the van), but a real tape echo is a must in the studio.

Keep in mind that echoplexes, watkins copycats, eccofonics, and other early tape echos were designed to "model" the sound of les paul's ampex machines. That was a crystal clear, wide-bandwith, hi-fi sound. Not the muddy, lo-fi sound people seem to look for with a tape echo. Thats what analog delays are for.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6dyslexicelephnt View Post
I have a real 201 that's broken right now. That's one upside of the pedal. Although I can't say the pedal will last longer, it helps to have a 30 year head start. I wonder if it models the space echo in being noisy as hell and a slight dulling of the guitar tone even when bypassed. Does it make a jangly explosion when you kick it? Does it do the delayed ramping up and down if you change the delay time quickly? Just how accurate is it? These are all important parts of the Space Echo's appeal

I can't imagine liking a digital pedal doing a classic analog thing. Nothing digital I've used really sounds like spring reverb or tape delay. That's the reason I couldn't use a digital box on guitar anymore - I've been spoiled.

On a side note, one thing I thought was weird is that the standard delay in Logic sounds much more similar to the characteristics of the Space Echo than the "tape" delay they had. It makes me wonder if people recreating these effects these days really understand what vintage gear is all about

If I could try it out I might be swayed... right now I'm just going to say I don't trust it!

We have the Fulltone TTE (x2), Old 201, 301, Echoplex (x2) PLUS 14 OTHER DELAY PEDALS (Carl Martin, Moog, sib!,....) . I guess you can say we are "spoilt" Everyone loves the boss. I am very "anti-digital" but sorta like it too. You may not. Everyone is different but dont knock it till you have tried it out.

I wonder if it models the space echo in being noisy as hell and a slight dulling of the guitar tone even when bypassed. Does it make a jangly explosion when you kick it? --------> well our originals are not THAT noisy. And we dont kick our delays, so cant tell you. But the boss is a close approximation.

Yuri
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I think the Maxon AD-900 Analog Delay blows the doors off the Maxon AD80 (which never impressed me enough to consider it for my pedal board).

I also have the TTE and the AD-900 compares favorably (and is a lot more travel worthy).

TTE for studio
AD-900 for gigs
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Like I said...To each his own
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtichy View Post
You're kidding me...

A real tape delay should have lots of fidelity...which this has, but it still has warmth. It doesn't have the inconsitent "character" of my Fulltone, or my Echoplex EP-1, but the actual delay sound is very close.

Frankly, my Maxon is more low-fi and still has lots of character. But it doesn't have the bandwidth of a tape echo. Nor does it try too. The boss is definately in the ballpark of a real tape echo. Good enough for my live rig (my Fulltone can't survive a fall out of the van), but a real tape echo is a must in the studio.

Keep in mind that echoplexes, watkins copycats, eccofonics, and other early tape echos were designed to "model" the sound of les paul's ampex machines. That was a crystal clear, wide-bandwith, hi-fi sound. Not the muddy, lo-fi sound people seem to look for with a tape echo. Thats what analog delays are for.
Like I said...To each his own.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear
I had the pedal shipped to me from Japan before it was released here in the States (and for significantly less money than they are charging here for it).

I am still in the honeymoon phase with it, and haven't totally unlocked all of its capabilities yet (I really need to get an expression pedal for it), but I think it's a very solid emulation of a tape delay - only corksniffers would be able to tell the difference, I think. The reverb is OK (I agree witht he poster above that it is probably better than the Holy Grail), but I don't really use the pedal for that anyway.

I'm looking forward to using it on my band's next album.

- Chris
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Maniac

can anyone describe how the expression pedal works with this? is it like the line 6 delay pedal where several parameters can sweep between uniquely defined values?
or do you choose which parameter is controlled by the expression pedal and thats the only one you can control?

i am waiting for a new delay pedal that does what the line6 pedals do with the expression pedal.

thanks,
Kurt
Old 5th October 2007
Gear Nut

Can someone tell me if this can be used as a send in mixing. Does it accept a line level like the original. and can it to %100 mix (like no dry signal). I own an original, and am getting tired of all the hassle, but I love it when it works.

thanks
Old 5th October 2007
You can switch the direct signal in and out; out gives you 100% wet mix. There are stereo instrument inputs but no line level input, so you'd have to use a re-amping box or something comparable to mix with it.

Cory
Old 15th October 2007
Gear Addict

Just bought one... bear in mind - honeymoon period - .... learning its tricks right now but overall...
its beautiful. Solid build... nice design killer sound.

Jurys still out on whether its colouring the direct sound. Going through a ****house solid-state amp right now...
Old 15th October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootkao View Post
Cool... I'm just trying to weigh whether its worth another $250 for my live rig or if I'm happy enough with the pedal I've got. I don't really feel like taking an original out on the road...
I hope it isn't as disappointing as that chorus dual pedal they put out a few years back. I think money would be better spent on a BBD delay or chorus.
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

For those still seeking info on line level input into RE 20 pedal (Iknow its an old thread),
spec sheet says input can handle up to max +4 dBu w/ 1MOhm input impenedce.
Looks like it would handle line level input making sure AUX out level is not too hot.
But how would the HiZ input impedence work with a typical aux out impedence??
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search