The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amazing cheapo guitars
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by snüzz View Post
i had an agile les paul copy that sounded good but i never could get it to play as well as i wanted. sold it but i'll bet there are some that are really nice. the shipping box was weak as it arrived in two pieces- they did send me another one though. i've seen that harm and it looks good. MySpace.com - Snuzz - Winston Salem, North Carolina - Alternative - www.myspace.com/snuzz
It did take some set-up work to get mine where I wanted it - had to raise the action and get that godawful plastic nut replaced. But the good stuff was mostly there. I own some pretty expensive guitars but I reach for the Agile a lot, especially for recording. It sounds a lot more like the Epi than the Ric - very organic and powerful without sounding like 11,656 other guitars. It is almost impossible to make the Harm1 sound like a beer commercial. I also think it looks insanely cool and I really like the fact that it's an original design.
Old 1st September 2007
Here for the gear

I bought an Ibanez EX tobacco sunburst back in 1998, used from a store in Thunder Bay. I think i bought it for just over $400 CAD. Best guitar I own, and have ever played. Real low action, and just fits me perfectly, soo comfortable and quick!!
Old 1st September 2007

I've been very pleased with an Ibanez SZ 520, it cost me around $400 dlls (new), very comfortable to play, good action, sounds very good although it does not have DiMarzio pickups which is the sound that I'm use to (almost all of my previous guitars had DiMarzio pick ups: JS 100 and UV777), in fact, I've been recording a lot stuff with that guitar and have received very good comments about the sound.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

About 6 months ago I was in the mood to try a 7-string.. just felt like trying one. Happened to wander into Sam Ash.. and found a brand new Washburn 7-string... for $179. SOLID BASSWOOD BODY, decent feeling neck, string-thru tailpiece.. I repeat $179!!! I already got a new set of pickups to put in it (stock pickups from a high-end Ibanez 7-string) for FREE from the local guitar tech (who had no use for 7-string pickups.

How do you beat that? I can't buy a basswood body for under $200.
"-)
Old 6th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
Have to disagree on this... and at that pricepoint I'm refering to factory seconds.
like any company.. they all have stinkers.
Ep's are built to Gibson production standards. Lot of them are nothing less than stunning
I played alot of them because I wanted them to be good, because who doesnt want a 335 for for 400 bucks. they dont feel like real guitars. The Agiles do
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

The Tokai Tele & Les Paul copies are pretty freakin' incredible, especially for the money. There aren't many around any more, but if you can find one, snatch it up.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenn View Post
art and luthrie, seagull, low cost great quality
no offence to you personally, but those guitars are all absolute SH*T. i've played at least 15 of 'em over the last 10 years and have never ONCE enjoyed the experience. woody, muffled sound, uncomfortable and slow necks. ack. nothing but frustration.

lots of my friends have bought them over the years (canadian company, affordable, etc) ... and it pains me.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

Reverend makes some of the best inexpensive guitars around. They discontinued the american series but the korean made guitars are quality instruments in every way, not "cheap" or compromises. The korean guitars go for $400-$500 and they tend to be more "mid range" centric than the american guitars, which you might want in a guitar anyway.

My experience with reverend is that the company's guitars are extremely resonant. I own a wolfman (american series) and that $1200 guitar beats the pants off of the far more expensive gretchs that i played next to it, including the duojet of george harrison fame. The wolfman was billed as a cross between a gretch and a tele by the way.

They have a good selection as well.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Agile?

If replacing the pickups seems like the thing that will make these guitars really stand out, is there any reason to get the 3000 model...or will the standard 2000 model with new pickups be close to the same beast? ( I'm speaking of the Les Paul version.)

-Also..if I already have a Shector diamond series to use...would a fender strat copy be a better bet than a Paul copy?

Or, is it just that much cooler to have a pseudo-paul sitting around the studio to use?

Thanks.
-poor rich
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Head

i bought a dearmond lp copy for about $20. For me it's the best thing since sliced bread, real comfortable to play although I might change the pickups.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

Hey Gone, now that's what I'm talkin' about! Guitars under 100 bucks that got the "vibe". That's a hard one to beat. I had a Dearmond LP copy but I paid 100 bucks fer it. You win so far.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Ohhh if it must be REALLY cheap, try and find a maya les paul copy. I used one for years. Never let me down. Added a dimarzio. That was about it.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

the guitar player in one of my bands has an epiphone korina explorer which IMO sounds great. the neck friggin pretty much plays itself, too!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Some of the Burns reissues are fantastic and can be had very cheaply. Well built, play great and great tone. The only issue is the bizarre styling on some of them...
I've played a couple that were phenomenal.
Old 12th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyrich View Post
If replacing the pickups seems like the thing that will make these guitars really stand out, is there any reason to get the 3000 model...or will the standard 2000 model with new pickups be close to the same beast? ( I'm speaking of the Les Paul version.)

-Also..if I already have a Shector diamond series to use...would a fender strat copy be a better bet than a Paul copy?

Or, is it just that much cooler to have a pseudo-paul sitting around the studio to use?

Thanks.
-poor rich
If you like ebony fingerboards then you get the 3000. I do btw, except for Agile you cant find an electric guitar with a ebony fingerboard for under a $1000
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I got a Lyle (older Japanese brand I think) acoustic guitar used for $70 once. Its still one of my favorite guitars; it has this amazing open sound to it that reminds me a lot of a Martin.

Cheers!
-Mike
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have a Lyle Dove copy that I got out of someone's hall closet - it had been there for 30 years collecting dust. The lady bought it in 1973 (still had the store sticker on it) and never learned to play. It looks brand new, stays in tune perfectly, it's a great guitar!
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

There are a lot of Korean guitars at the moment that are good value, although the gear snob in me won't let me buy them.

I've bought a few oddities over the years though.
Arai did a run of guitars with elaborate carvings.
I found one in a pawn shop around '92.

I paid around $200 for the guitar and then went about customising it with an SRV warmoth shape neck, PRS pickups, PRS trem, gotoh locking tuners and dubbed it the "Dragon Strat".

It is a great player- I prefer it to my '89 PRS custom actually.
Here are a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Amazing cheapo guitars-dscn3096.jpg   Amazing cheapo guitars-dscn3094.jpg   Amazing cheapo guitars-dscn3095.jpg  
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

My older brother 10+ my 45 years age has a black squire strat. I thought, pffft! a squire..... when I saw it, but could'nt put the little thing down for the 2 days I was staying at his place.

Nice little axe. Good sound, great feel, no buzz. Gotta get me one someday.

I paid 600 for a seagull acoustic - if that's cheapo ok, but I like it bunches.

Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Jim, the carving on that guitar is killer! Looks great - must sound great with PRS pickups.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar_josh View Post
Jim, the carving on that guitar is killer! Looks great - must sound great with PRS pickups.
Cheers.
I just sanded the top layer of lacquer off it and left it unfinished.
I should do a poly coat at some stage- just to protect it... I'll get around to it one day.

The PRS pickups were just left over when I installed Duncans in my PRS.
They are ok but PRS isn't the best pickup designer imho.

At some stage I'll put some Duncan Customs or Pearly Gates in there.
One day.

The trem unit is impossible to find- it was a bit of a coup to get it.
I was working in a guitar shop and some idiot installed a Floyd Rose on his PRS custom and didn't want the original trem so I bought it from him for $20.

PRS don't sell them and if you want to replace one on your PRS guitar you have to send the old one back to them.
It is one of the original (pre- 1995) one piece block- the best thing he ever invented- better than a floyd, stays in tune, doesn't suck tone.

Definitely a one-off custom guitar- I've been playing it a lot lately- it took me a while to get into as I usually play my Kinman Telecasters but I am digging it at the moment.
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
I paid around $200 for the guitar and then went about customising it with an SRV warmoth shape neck, PRS pickups, PRS trem, gotoh locking tuners and dubbed it the "Dragon Strat".
That is Old Skoool, Jim. . .Devadip style!
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

I bought a Gibson ES-135 back in 2004, and I paid ~$950 New.

This was a great guitar for the price - too bad they discontinued it in favor of the "custom" 137.
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
I bought a Gibson ES-135 back in 2004, and I paid ~$950 New.

This was a great guitar for the price - too bad they discontinued it in favor of the "custom" 137.
I'll give you $900 for it if you want to make your money back. :-)

135's are great- I prefer them to almost any of the Gibson semi-solids.
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Nut

Seems a local independent music store recognized the value of my amazing cheapo guitars. They gave me $250 in store credit for a Kay f hole non cutaway with original pickup which I paid $15 for at a garage sale. That along with some other old items allowed me to walk out of their store with a brand new electron blue Mexican Stratocaster with no out of pocket money on my part. Long live horse trading, garage sales, and "Amazing Cheapo Guitars"!
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Head

The Korean PRS SE's are excellent guitars.
Old 28th November 2007
Squier Custom Tele II P90, with SD designed pups. this sucka weighs in at £159 and it sounds GREAT

fill yer boots kids

(duplicate post)
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

Mexi-fender is great value if you are a hotrodder.
Gretsch Electromatic are flat out brilliant at any price although I'd put TV Jones pickups in there.
Reverend are excellent on every level.
Epiphone make some decent guitars as well- the Joe Pass is v cool.
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Nut

Mexi Fender

I acquired a brand new mexi Fender Stratocaster (electron blue, rosewood neck), through some trade ins @ a local indie music store, no money out of pocket. I love the slim neck, as I have small hands. This one has perfect low action. I'd have rather had an arctic white, or sunburst but they didn't have those colors in stock at the time. I don't really consider this a "cheapo" other than the fact I didn't have to shell out any cash.
Old 8th April 2008
Lives for gear

Picked-up an Affinity Squire Butterscotch Blond Tele yesterday. My first impression is extremely positive. It plays well, has a great tone. Bloody ‘ell! Best $130 guitar I ever played.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search