The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thoughts on Mesa Boogie Tremo Verb amp?
Old 25th August 2007
  #1
Thoughts on Mesa Boogie Tremo Verb amp?

A friend tells me they're pretty versatile amps for studio use. Since I have a few Fender and Vox amps available a very good guitar player thought I might get the Mesa Boogie to fill that color gap in amps available at the studio.

Don't do heavy metal. Grew up with the old standby sounds of Fender, Vox and Marshall. I have a buddy selling a Tremo Verb. Anyone use this amp?
Old 26th August 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
espen askelad's Avatar
I'll preface this by saying I really can't stand Mesa Boogie amps. They just sound awful to me. And so it surprises me to say how good I think the Tremoverb is/was - it's been canned from the lineup, right? Replaced with those bland-tone boring combos polluting the floors of your local banjo-mart? Bah. The ToV is great. Cleans are passable, though nothing remarkable, but the "vintage OD" and "modern/blues" modes, despite the hokey names, both sound really excellent for instant feel-good rock guitar when paired with appropriate speakers. I don't like Mesa speaker cabs, they sound papery to me. But into an Orange or Matamp cab... Big low end you can actually feel, a little murky, but that's sorta appropriate for the sound it's tracing lineage from. Banging out an "A" chord will make your knees wobble a little. If the price is right, I'd go for it. (I prefer the head to the combo though, for the speaker reasons mentioned above...)
Old 26th August 2007
  #3
Yes! the Tremo Verb is no longer being produced. I believe he's asking for $900.
I have to figure out if that money should go towards the Mesa or apply towards one of following: 65 London, Victoria 20112, 35310 or Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by espen askelad View Post
I'll preface this by saying I really can't stand Mesa Boogie amps. They just sound awful to me. And so it surprises me to say how good I think the Tremoverb is/was - it's been canned from the lineup, right? Replaced with those bland-tone boring combos polluting the floors of your local banjo-mart? Bah. The ToV is great. Cleans are passable, though nothing remarkable, but the "vintage OD" and "modern/blues" modes, despite the hokey names, both sound really excellent for instant feel-good rock guitar when paired with appropriate speakers. I don't like Mesa speaker cabs, they sound papery to me. But into an Orange or Matamp cab... Big low end you can actually feel, a little murky, but that's sorta appropriate for the sound it's tracing lineage from. Banging out an "A" chord will make your knees wobble a little. If the price is right, I'd go for it. (I prefer the head to the combo though, for the speaker reasons mentioned above...)
Old 26th August 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
espen askelad's Avatar
Love the Maz. Depends on your needs... the ToV is a serious rock amp. From classic rock sorta tones through monster modern high-gain (but mostly just really good sounding overdrive...) the Mesa is really excellent. The Maz is a great clean/medium gain amp with superb touch sensitivity that gets along with pretty much every guitar and pedal out there.
Old 26th August 2007
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by espen askelad View Post
Love the Maz. Depends on your needs... the ToV is a serious rock amp. From classic rock sorta tones through monster modern high-gain (but mostly just really good sounding overdrive...) the Mesa is really excellent. The Maz is a great clean/medium gain amp with superb touch sensitivity that gets along with pretty much every guitar and pedal out there.
Thanks.
The Mesa will be in the studio next week for me to try out for a bit. Yeah, the Mesa is recommended for "filling in" colors I don't have on the floor in amps.
Being a Tele person I also have interest in the Dr Z amps you've mentioned as well as 65 and Victoria amps.
Old 26th August 2007
  #6
Gear Addict
 

I used to tour with a Tremoverb. No complaints for what it does, it does it well.

$900 is a good price for that model.

I love the sound of a Strat or Tele into a Mesa.
Old 26th August 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
subspace's Avatar
That's the Mesa amp to get if you want to have something usable for various sounds but still able to rectify when called upon. Kind of an ideal model for studio work.
Old 26th August 2007
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by subspace View Post
That's the Mesa amp to get if you want to have something usable for various sounds but still able to rectify when called upon. Kind of an ideal model for studio work.
That's exactly what the seller said.
He loves the amp but is doing more acoustic work these. I believe he has a lighter amp in the event he wants to plug his strat in. Claims the Mesa is a bear to lug around. So, for him, it sits around doing nothing.
Old 26th August 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
hangman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subspace View Post
That's the Mesa amp to get if you want to have something usable for various sounds but still able to rectify when called upon. Kind of an ideal model for studio work.
still be able to rectify? ha ha... I can't tell if you're making a joke or not. are you?
Old 26th August 2007
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
SurfingMusicMan's Avatar
 

I have a tremoverb and love the heck out of it. It is very versatile, and isn't just a metal amp by any means. Its the best rectifier I've played (although I haven't played the old 2 channel Dual Rectifiers that aren't tremoverbs).

Through a 412 Mesa, it is huge and FRIGGIN LOUD!!! Very throaty - it reminds of a muscle car for some reason. Like the other rectifiers, it has a smile EQ. And, like other Mesas, its reverb is awful. The tremolo is terrible too. That said, I think it may be my "desert island" amp just cuz you can get so many truely great sounds out of it.

However, although the amp is excellent sounding in everything it does, I think the place it shines especially is with huge and heavy distortion. If you're not into full on distortion, I think going with Z amp may be a better bet.

$900 is an excellent price. I paid $1000 for mine about 3 or 4 months ago.
Old 28th August 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
 
subspace's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman View Post
still be able to rectify? ha ha... I can't tell if you're making a joke or not. are you?
No.

The Trem-o-Verb puts most of the Duals and Triples to shame for that tone.
Old 28th August 2007
  #12
OK! my buddy wants $800. for the amp.
I'm assuming from the above comments I should move on this...studio work only.
Old 28th August 2007
  #13
Gear Nut
 
Audio_Vault's Avatar
 

BUY IT!! Super versatile....i did my whole last album with that amp alone and some acoustics.
Old 29th August 2007
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Vault View Post
BUY IT!! Super versatile....i did my whole last album with that amp alone and some acoustics.
Good to hear. Done deal. Saturday I write him a check.
Thanks for all of the responses.
Old 29th August 2007
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
SurfingMusicMan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
Good to hear. Done deal. Saturday I write him a check.
Thanks for all of the responses.
Good for you. I'm bummed that you got such a better deal than me though...
Old 29th August 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 
hangman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subspace View Post
No.

The Trem-o-Verb puts most of the Duals and Triples to shame for that tone.

I see, you are using "rectify" as a verb meaning: to sound like a mesa boogie rectifier?
Old 2nd September 2007
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Vault View Post
BUY IT!! Super versatile....i did my whole last album with that amp alone and some acoustics.
I am having the amp delivered to the new room. Therefore, I haven't experimented with it yet.
Studying up on the Tremo Verb...lots of options!! Lot's of combination possibilities.
Anyone care to share settings they use?
Old 2nd September 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Messiah's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
I am having the amp delivered to the new room. Therefore, I haven't experimented with it yet.
Studying up on the Tremo Verb...lots of options!! Lot's of combination possibilities.
Anyone care to share settings they use?

I swapped the 6L6's in mine to EL34's, and I really did like the difference it made, especially to the lower-mid gain settings.

Also, don't be afraid to go with extreme EQ settings on the amp as they interact a lot and there are very usable sounds at the extremes.

Eg, try in Clean and Blues mode, Bass 0 Mid 10 Treble 0...thumbsup
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
sach160 / So many guitars, so little time
59
blueman / So many guitars, so little time
7
JSVice / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
Amstel / So much gear, so little time
4
SoundCampaign / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump