The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acoustic Guitar Sound Clip Comparisons Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 22nd August 2007
Here for the gear

Acoustic Guitar Sound Clip Comparisons

I am in the market for a high-end acoustic and found this site with sounds clips galore. I called to verify that all recordings were set in similar settings. Which ones do you think sound the best for strumming?

http://www.thepodium.com/t-soundsamples.aspx
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadguitar View Post
I am in the market for a high-end acoustic and found this site with sounds clips galore. I called to verify that all recordings were set in similar settings. Which ones do you think sound the best for strumming?

http://www.thepodium.com/t-soundsamples.aspx

There are tons of samples on that site, tons, such a cool site. However, its really hard to say which one because there are so many, so unless one would sit and listen to them all, you may want to pick out a few you like and list, perhaps this might be easier to say which I like the best, narrow it dow a tad.

Tons of guitars up there. I personally always am fond of taylors.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I love the podium.

Great music store with very knowledgeable folks. They have a fantastic repair guy named Marty, won't bring my guitar to anyone else.

Check it out if your ever in the Twin Cities area.
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Great - thanks for sharing, enjoyed listening to those.
Old 28th January 2008
Gear Maniac

An acoustic guitar is way more subjective than an electric guitar. I wouldn't think of getting an acoustic without playing it first. If you really want a high-end acoustic, you've got to get to a good shop and try every one you can.

I started out with a $2K budget when i was looking, but didn't like any of the popular "high-end" guitars. After trying about 30 new and vintage guitars at Elderly Instruments in Michigan, I settled on a $5K hand-made, pre-war replica that sounded better to me than anything else. It's a Merrill and has the dynamics of a piano, it's brilliant.

Sound clips aren't going to tell you how the guitar sounds in your hands with your picking/fretting technique.
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

i agree.

the playability / performance of the guitar is important, especially if you are the player! some guitars really inspire you, some don't.

i like the concept of the sound samples. while the recording quality and technique seems poor, it did reiterate my preferences

mcpherson, some collings. i just like 'em. many brands missing here btw

your woods, especially the top, is important. audition by woods, brands as well as sizes/shapes.

good luck,
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3waytie4last View Post
An acoustic guitar is way more subjective than an electric guitar. I wouldn't think of getting an acoustic without playing it first.

yeah so true.

But the one cool thing about trying out acoustics is you may get lucky and find a $500 model that sounds better than some $2000 models.

Thanks to mother nature of course.

I walked into GC with $2500 cash looking for a high end Martin or a Taylor.
I walked out with a $450 Taylor that just had the sound I was looking for.
just cuz a gtr looks pretty doesn't mean it sounds pretty
Old 15th April 2008
Gear Addict

It's always a good idea to play a guitar before you buy it. I would hesitate to buy an acoustic guitar long distance unless it was from a very good dealer who I knew well. Even then I'd say make the trip and shop in person. If you play a lot of guitars soon or later there will be one that will just knock you out. That's the one to buy. FWIW there's nothing like an old Martin or Gibson.
Old 21st June 2008
Here for the gear

Hi all, new to this great site! I just wanted to add that in terms of the recorded sound of an acoustic guitar (and indeed any acoustic instrument) the chosen microphone(s) and placement can have a huge effect on the sound.
Have a look here for some mic comparisons....
Recording Acoustic Guitar
cheers.
Old 21st June 2008
Lives for gear

i would buy a lowden, especially a new lowden without ever touching it.....
to me, personally, they are the most beautiful - physically and sonically - guitars
being made - i have never played a dud - i think the newest george lowden
incarnation of the company is the best......
i would be extremely frightened of a new martin.....my 20 year old
j-40m is just now becoming amazing, and it is great....as a company, they scare
me.....the lifetime warranty is not what is was twenty years ago....
i think every collings i have played have also been pretty great
in nyc, we are blessed to have mandolin brothers......

be well

- jack
Old 1st July 2008
Gear Guru

You'll never have any idea what it really sounds or plays like until you hold it in your hands. Until you can figure out what it's going to take to make your hands get the sound you want out of it, it doesn't really matter what someone else made it sound like.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search