The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hardware Amp Farm? Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

Hardware Amp Farm?

Hello, Thinking of setting up a new studio and wanted to know how many people have experience recording electric guitars with the amp heads in the control room and the speaker cabs in the studio live room.

What do you think I need to consider when doing this. Should I watch the length of speaker cable from amp to cab? Also can I have multiple heads that can be changed using the same speaker or set of speakers? Again what should I watch for . . . impedance issues? Would the best way be with a speaker switcher or patch bay etc . . . If so where can I source something like that commercially?

Also regarding amp choices, someone advised me a good start would be to get a 6L6 or 6V6 based amp head for the Fender Sound and an EL84 based amp for more British or high gain tone, then add different variations as we go on. Another tip was to go for lower powered heads 5W to 15W and 1 x 12 or 1 x 10 cabs since my live room is not all that large and we do not need lots of volume, but just great tone.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search