The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
4*12inch vs 1*12inch Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

4*12inch vs 1*12inch

Hi,

I'm looking for an acoustic design of a 4*12inch cab.
I find that almost all cabs 4*12 inch suck donkey balls,they have lots of impact but cannot stand out on there own in a mix.
Also I have recorded 4*12 inch cabs where 2 speakers were out of phase?!!

Anyho I'm looking for a solid live setup guitar sound.

I currently am buying a dual rectifier 3 channels and I'm wondering what kind of case I should make.
I have 4 G12-T75 Celestions and want to make a solid case.

So my question is :
Are there designs out there that bypass the kind of ''I'm putting 4 speakers in a case'' and are acoustic more interesting for a fuller less muddy guitar sound?

EDIT: I just find it weird that you puy some much for maple wood on a guitar but then it goes into a cardboard speaker placed in a bananabox.
Shouldnt it sound better if you make it in different kinds of wood? Different shapes , etc...?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

How many 4x12s have you tried? What 4x12s have you tried? What 1x12s have you tried? What styles do you play? At what volumes you play?

You want a cabinet with great design made of quality wood?
Check this out Vintone Circuits
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

Hey, thanks for the reply !

I recorded mesa boogie cases, ENGL cases , marshall 1960 case , randall case. All 4*12 inch.

Bogner 2*12inch.

The 1*12 inch was an open case H&K celestion from a combo and sounded pretty nice.

All sounds are done on a high volume !!

The style I usually record is rock/punk/metal
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Copy the dimensions of a Marshall 4x12 straight front. Hands down, the best sounding guitar cab...ever. Differant woods do make a differance. I just built a couple cabs out of 1" solid Cherry with a 3/4" baffle...very very sweet sounding, and they look like a million bucks.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

It's funny, but there is a lot of taste thing here.

I don't like how Marshall cabs sound. I do like Bogners a lot.
All this said I use Mesa Rectifier 4x12 & 2x12 cabinets for 90% of recordings & I'm too damn happy with them. For me 4x12s & 2x12s sound better, but it's just my personal taste. In my experience you can't get the bigness of 4x12 from 1x12, I've tried hard, couldn't do it. I like Mesa 1x12 as an extension cab to add some more bigness to 4x12. I use Bogner 1x12 mostly for clean sounds & it's some sweet sounding 1x12.

Of course there are better cabs than Mesas, but I can get world class sound out of Mesas with no problem, so wood doesn't bother me.

IMO paying for custom high class designed cabinet is not worth it, too damn expensive for what you get. You could use that money to buy a better head which would make a world of difference.
Now if you already had a top end head & some extra money laying on the side, that would be a different story, but looking at your choice of amp head you are obviously not there yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also it looks to me like you don't like V30s, as most of cabs you said you don't like have V30s in them, but the same time & think that's what works best with Mesa Rectifier heads.

My opinion about your whole situation is - go and try some boutique amp heads, I think that's what you are missing.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blor007 View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for an acoustic design of a 4*12inch cab.
I find that almost all cabs 4*12 inch suck donkey balls,they have lots of impact but cannot stand out on there own in a mix.

It's weird you say that considering countless albums have been cut using some of the very 4x12's you claim to have used, and to me 99% sound just fine. I personally prefer recording a 4x12 and have absolutely no problems getting the guitar to stand out in the mix. Maybe you should look more at your technique of capturing sounds, you could be doing something wrong there. Just a thought, either way good luck in finding the sound you're looking for.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
It's weird you say that considering countless albums have been cut using some of the very 4x12's you claim to have used, and to me 99% sound just fine. I personally prefer recording a 4x12 and have absolutely no problems getting the guitar to stand out in the mix. Maybe you should look more at your technique of capturing sounds, you could be doing something wrong there. Just a thought, either way good luck in finding the sound you're looking for.
Aha good advice/point !!

Well I'm actually aiming for that, It's 99 procent sure something that I'm overlooking. Poor skillz, poor ears, bad guitar cabinet, bad guitar, bad guitar settings, bad amp settings.

So I was actually looking for someone who have had the same ''problem'' but then found a solution.

I will be posting some guitar sounds as soon as my amp gets here.

Btw someone said about my head/amp not being top notch?
What am I missing that is alot better then a mesa boogie dual rectifier?
Old 25th August 2007
For metal: beond Van Halen sounds, 7 string guitars come into the picture. Those are sounds with low in the total punch. A closed cabinet is needed in those circumstances. An open design does not cut it.

A 1x15" could even be an asset in this case. If you like to go beond the Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab you should use it's measurement but use two kinds of material glued together. It will make the material less prone to resonances. You will get different tones.

Allso an cabinet made of Oak will get you your own sound. Get the heaviest oak you can find. Allso the way to attach the material together should be topnotch. no screws. You should use glue and speciall bindings.

a passive speaker in the design could allso be an asset.

Have fun.

Muziekschuur
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Btw someone said about my head/amp not being top notch?
What am I missing that is alot better then a mesa boogie dual rectifier?
Nothing wrong with Mesa, but there are a lot of better heads out there.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarts View Post
Nothing wrong with Mesa, but there are a lot of better heads out there.
Aha , which? :D
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Aha , which? :D
You don't really want me to answer that question, do you?
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search