The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SG/LP junior, which modell?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

SG/LP junior, which modell?

I´m looking for a sg/LP junior -Style guitar with one P90. I just don´t know which model , since there are so much options.
Should I go for vintage?
Which newer gibson models are great? Are they comparable to the old ones?
Are there alternatives that sound better (hamer...)
I played an old LP Junior which was great, but too expensive for me.

I can spend around 1500 bucks
Old 21st August 2007
I wanted one of these ever since I saw Keith Richards using one with a capo on the 7th fret to play "Midnight Rambler" with..

Then of course Johnny Thunders used em..

I like the cherry red ones,

Rock on!

good luck! thumbsup
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

Yep, but how are the newer Gibson models compared to the old ones. There are so many options ("Worn/faded cherry", Custom Shop Models, Sigature models)
I heard many things about the varying quality of Gibson instruments.
Which are the great ones?

Any "secret" great but cheap models ?
Old 21st August 2007
Have you tried US ebay? You might get a good rate for your Euro Dollar

These things originally were cheap instruments I think..

Now of course the surviving ones are pricey..

I dont know much about the prices, I am just a fan!

Good luck!
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

yummy, right. I already had my eyes on this one
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

yummy, right. I already had my eyes on this one, but thanks for the help!!!
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I wanted one of these ever since I saw Keith Richards using one with a capo on the 7th fret to play "Midnight Rambler" with..
That's exactly the image I was thinking about.

That LP Jr.'s tone defines that guitar totally!

The Stones 4Flicks DVD is a must have for figuring out what guitars and amps get
which Stones tones.

Those Humbucker Teles also had a great sound.

Would be great if there was a breakdown of what he had in his FX rack as well......
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a real '59 DC junior, as well as the CustomShop DC and SC juniors. A friend has a very nice '62 SG Jr. I am afraid the new guitars are nothing like the old ones. Very heavy (and i had 1 specially made for me, but its still heavy) and the pickups dont sound the same. Pity.
Having said that, my SC Jr is a pretty decent guitar, and is popular in the studio. I guess the bigger neck give it a fuller sound compared to the DC.
If you buy one go for the customshop models - the quality difference is huge. The standard models are "crap". I know the cost is much higher, but its still less then what the old ones are fetching now.
Keep in mind theat the SG Jr sound very different to the "standard" models

Yuri
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
I have a real '59 DC junior, as well as the CustomShop DC and SC juniors. A friend has a very nice '62 SG Jr. I am afraid the new guitars are nothing like the old ones

Yuri
thanks, great advice. I know some old ones , a friend got them and I love the SG junior and the les Paul junior . never tried the new ones, I´m a bit sceptical to fast dried cheap wood and thick "plastic" finish

but I don´t care because it´s vintage, I care because it "lives" and "breathes" , I look for that edgy ballsy direct punchy sound
So - I don´t need an american original if there are better substitutes, and I don´t need to go vintage. but I pay rather 2000 USD for a good guitar than 1000 for a bad one. (also hardly wouldn´t pay more for such a guitar)

BTW what about an 60s epi Coronet , same league as SG junior?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Coronets are different from the SG's. Could be the body shape. The pickups are the same if they are P90's (Coronets were avalable with other pickups as well).

I only had experience with 2 of then ever. Both were very usable guitars. I also know a guy who installed P94's in a current "special edition" coronet - it sounds excellent. And is pretty cheap.

Yuri
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Had a Coronet years ago, one of the best sounding guitars I ever owned, very rock and roll, but didn't sound like an SG (cause of the P90). The interesting thing was by turning the tone control way down it got an incredibly good jazz "hollowbody" type of sound (better than some hollow body's I've had). Unfortunately I needed tuition money.......
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search