The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What OD/Dist in front of AC30? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

What OD/Dist in front of AC30?

I know that there have been quite a few discussions on various pedals, but I haven't been able to find any info pertaining to my situation.

I play PRS custom 22s, a g&l asat classic S, and a sg. I've seen lots of info for lead boosts etc but not much concerning rhythm playing. I'm looking for something in front of an AC30cch-- feeding either a bogner 1x12 (v30) or jensen 1x12 in a fender combo. I'm not interested right now in spending $ on new speakers or different enclosures.

Application will be for pop/rock-- top 40 style stuff. I'd like something that is thick and heavy while still retaining clarity (I've got a JCM 900 for the heavier- less poppy stuff). I guess I'm looking for a John Shanks-ish tone (and I know he's a great player w/ great experience and amazing tools and a good room.. great arrangements etc). I've got a Zvex SHO which I love- but it tends to compress things too much when I really turn it up since it's overloading the input-- also I can't have tht huge loudness differential when switching from clean to dirty.

Suggestions?

Thanks-Ryan
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I don't know whether you're limiting yourself to boo-teek pedals, but I can tell you from first-hand experience that the Digitech Bad Monkey really works well with strats and teles through an AC30CC head. I was very skeptical when I originally bought it, but it sounds very good if you can get past the stupid name. I think I paid $30 for mine. It also works well in front of distortion pedals. Not TB, but minimal to no tone-suckage.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

A Boss Blues Driver, especially with the Keeley mod, works nicely. I used a Vox ValveTone pedal (discontinued) with mine. Similar to the BD, in the Tube Screamer territory.

These days, I use a Radial Tonebone Classic and/or Hot British for all of my OD needs. I would bet the either would be great in front of your amp.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

I don't have a CC, but older Voxes have been my amp of choice for the past 10 years. I don't think there's really getting too far past that compression when the AC30 is breaking up - it's a key part of the sound. The SHO is actually my favorite pedal with the AC30, but I use it dialed pretty far back so it's just giving the tiniest boost, just enough to put some hair on the sound (I run the amps at the point where a hard pick is slightly overdriven, a lighter touch is still clean.)

For a more retro-poppy overdriven rhythm sound, I really like the Analogman Beano Boost. The AC30 is just made for boost pedals.

For more rock guitar hero sounds, it's really, truly hard to beat the sound of an ES-335 into an ol' Ibanez Tube King (the Tonebones cover this ground quite well also, though I think the MIJ TK999 is a little more clear in tone [if not as "nice"]) feeding the normal channel of the amp.

If the CCs are anything like the Voxes previous, and you like the Brilliant channel/setting/however they are now, you owe it to yourself to investigate the Menatone line of pedals. They're the only (non-boost) dirt pedals I've used (and I've used a lot...) that sounded completely awesome into the Brilliant channel. The Red Snapper is my favorite. I think Brian Mena, who designs them, is an EL84 amp guy, and tailors the pedals to that response.

what speakers do you have, btw? I know you don't want to change speakers, but getting a tone from an AC30 that's both "thick and heavy" and keeping clear without the icepick thing is really pretty speaker dependent. There's no amp I've used that's pickier about what feeds into it, and what it feeds out to...
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks for the responses guys. As far as my speakers: I have a Bogner 1x12 w/ V30 closed back, the Jensen in my deluxe reverb, and a palmer ADIG (which I actually use for most of my recordings)

The SHO is my favorite pedal (with close second place holdings by my tuner and delays), however the switch between on an off is such a change in level (no duh, it's a boost) that it makes it tough to use in a live environment since I'm not playing leads.

I just got a fuzz factory which is great for any leads that i do play-- and for that filtered, insane dist sound- but it can't be used as my go to dist. Do you guys think that I'm in the market for an OD rather than a dist w/ volume control?
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

A heavy OD, maybe - something that can get good low midrange grunt out of the amp. What level are you running the amp at? Something that's either cool or annoying, depending on how you look at it, is tat AC30s tend to be always loud, but run out of clean headroom a little quicker on the dial than most amps and start getting furry. Getting the amp right in that place (and perhaps using an attenuator to not kill yourself and others local) and then hitting it with the SHO (set for minimal boost) is a nice mild overdrive, and then kicking in a good medium OD (Menatone Red Snapper and Blue Collar - I liked the RS more but the BC has more low-mid push) on top really pushes the amp over the edge. This was what I used for ages, and would today if I was still touring, and it really worked well for chunky dirt that kept the Vox-y clarity and brightness.

Is this for studio or touring? If studio, your answer may be in blending your two amps.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

I'm actually already using a Hot Plate- so I'm getting some nice power section saturation as it is. As far as studio vs live: answer is both- but mostly mostly studio work. The perceived loudness between the cleaner and dist tones is obviously more of an issue when playing live.

In the past, I've always used amps w/ a distortion channel so I haven't had a need for dist or od pedals- but I'd like to experiment w/ just taking my ac30 out. Plus I'm finding that such tones are more interesting that just using internal distortion. I'm using the top boost channel btw- w/out the link switch. Master is a little more than half way- and channel volume is a little less than that. I'll check out those pedals that you mentioned. Thanks.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangeller View Post

In the past, I've always used amps w/ a distortion channel so I haven't had a need for dist or od pedals- but I'd like to experiment w/ just taking my ac30 out. Plus I'm finding that such tones are more interesting that just using internal distortion.

Completely agree, I feel like I can better control the dynamics of the amp that way. I had a hellish time figuring out how to get my Vox set up for live work where I'd have the right balance of cleans when needed, a good chimey low gain overdrive, and a more powerful serious overdrive, without having three wildly different volume levels - for a while I gave up and took other amps out instead, but always came back to the Vox and once I got it figured out, man, nothing touches it.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Heh, it just occurred to me. Thick+heavy+clarity = Hiwatt/Sound City.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka gimli View Post
A Boss Blues Driver, especially with the Keeley mod, works nicely. I used a Vox ValveTone pedal (discontinued) with mine. Similar to the BD, in the Tube Screamer territory.

These days, I use a Radial Tonebone Classic and/or Hot British for all of my OD needs. I would bet the either would be great in front of your amp.

You can find the Vox Valve Tones on E Bay once in a while. That`s where I found mine and love it
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

try a jekyll & hyde by Visual Sound. I love mine. I run it into a '72 silvertone combo.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

harmonic percolator will do the trick. Get it while you still can NOS.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I think I'm going to pick up one of these for my AC30.

Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

ANYTHING sounds great in front of an Ac30. Just research what you are in to tone wise and throw it in there. You will be happy.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hot Cake. Seriously—it just seems to me it was designed to go with Vox-style amps. Doesn't work as well, in my experience, with Tweeds or Blackfaces, but in front of an EL84-driven rig, it's great.

I don't currently own an AC30 (though I've in the past), but my Bad Cat is solidly in Vox-land, and the Hot Cake works wonders with it.

By the way—I also use an SHO, as the last pedal in the chain, just for a bit of boost when needed. I agree with a previous poster that you can't really crank the SHO without overloading the amp.

Best of luck.
Old 30th August 2007

Agreed Hot cake = great pedal.

Get that or a Fulltone OCD and you're off to tone-land. Very natural amp-like pedals

SHO - I know what you mean about the boost. It works well for an amp already slightly overdriven. You won't get much level boost at this point but you'll have a great power-stage distortion. Anything up to aroung 3/4 level is fine, but then it gets uggly!

Also a Zoom Hyperlead fits your description - its a high gain pedal that starts at Marshall crunch and goes up to super saturated singing tones.

Great mid-range control - you can dial in fat/thick tones no prob, or scoop it out... and plenty of deep bottom-end if you want that...

Fantastic pedal, and its bulit like a brick.

This really is a quality piece of gear - a real sleeper, but plenty of fans out there:

Zoom HL-01 Hyper Lead: Harmony Central User Reviews
Old 30th August 2007
turn it up you dont need no steenkin pedals for distortion
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

teh tone bones rock, i use a hot brithis in my set up with a fender 72 deluxe and the thing sound heavenly! i use fender twin amps or fender deluxe amps tho
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
turn it up you dont need no steenkin pedals for distortion

Amen brother, I love the sound of the AC30CCH. I owned one for a year and regret selling it to this day.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Along with the hot plate, I suggest a Treble Booster-- like the Keeley Java Boost. It is actually a three mode booster, treble, mid, and full range boost. This will send your AC30 into more overdrive with a bite.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

+1 on the OCD!!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
harmonic percolator will do the trick. Get it while you still can NOS.
+1 on the Harmonic Percolator!!thumbsup

Everytime I hear a John Shanks tone that I love (many) he said it was his Hiwatt.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Addict

Fulltone fulldrive II sounds good through my cc2x, I've tried a **** load of od's and this is my fav so far...
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus77 View Post
Hot Cake. Seriously—it just seems to me it was designed to go with Vox-style amps. Doesn't work as well, in my experience, with Tweeds or Blackfaces, but in front of an EL84-driven rig, it's great.
Bingo!! The Crowther Hot Cake is THE pedal for an AC30.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search