The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do yourself a favor..play a Schecter Turntables
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear
Do yourself a favor..play a Schecter

I was in the market for a humbucking guitar. At first I wanted an SG, but I started thinking..why spend 700-1.5k when I already have a 1200 dollar Tele in my room?
I am not a money leaking gear spender, because I have been down that path and it leads to massive credit card interest.

Anyway, I went to my favorite independant guitar store (support them!) and played a used Schecter C1 Elite. The guy was like "I can't sell this thing, you can have it for under 400 including tax and hardcase"...whaaaat? First off, his clientel is mainly rock guys who play teles or les pauls...which is fine, I love them too, but there is a world of guitars out there that people are missing out on.

The Schecter is a perfect example...this thing plays better then any guitar I have owned. It is strings through body, like my expensive Tele, and is made of mahogony so you get that warm les Paul sound. The action, with 10s..is ridiculously nice..im talking "I can't stop playing this thing all night" nice. The tone...well the tone delivers in the neck if you want that Les Paulesque neck sound for cleans, and has fairly high output from the bridge...now, let me put out my disclaimer..the Duncan design pickups that come with it are passable..better then you would think, but for recording purposes, I would replace them. I am getting a Dimarzio Evo put in the bridge as I post this, and in a couple weeks I will put a dimarzio air norton in the neck..at this point my guitar will be capable of death metal hell or thick, warm cleans.....versatility..a major plus when you record.

So the point..go play a schecter..if you record and need a killer guitar that is extremely versatile, and dont want to spend a ton of money, this is THE company to look at. They easily sound and play as well as many of the 1,000 and up guitars.

And no, they do not endorse me.
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Head

hell yeah

Schecter seriously is my favorite brand ever. I currently play the schecter xxx and it is awesome I have never had a problem with it. All schecters are american made in the factory in burbank.
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

OK, guys, I don't want to through myself into fire here, but Schecters are not really that great.

Don't get me wrong, I own 2 Schecters & I think they are great value for the money, especially for the price you can get these things used, but the truth is that they are not in the same league with really good guitars.
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarts View Post
OK, guys, I don't want to through myself into fire here, but Schecters are not really that great.

Don't get me wrong, I own 2 Schecters & I think they are great value for the money, especially for the price you can get these things used, but the truth is that they are not in the same league with really good guitars.
What really good guitars are you talking about? You have to be more specific or the post really has nothing to base the statements on. I have owned plenty of expensive PRS's, Taylors, Fenders and so I am curious what makes you say this?

Also..what genre of music do you play? All of these things are factors...to say they are not in the same league, especially after replaceing the pups strikes me as very extreme.
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Addict

I play metal.

I have one Schecter with active EMGs, another with Duncan Jazz/59 pus. Also I have Japanese LP Custom copy with Duncan 59s, which makes 2 Schecters sound & feel like joke. Note that one of PUs is the same in both guitars. In addition I have played some great Gibson LPs which make Schecters look like joke too, I've played some bad ones too. May be not really a fair comparison, but like you guys say around here this is GS after all.

In other words Schecters are very good for the price, they come equipped with very good tuners & nice big frets. I'm not trying to shrink Schecters, I actually recommend them, but still they are not there yet.

BTW I've got both my Schecters for under 400$ with PUs installed.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

I agree completely! They are some of my favorite guitars actually. Are there better (AKA more expensive guitars) guitars out there. Yes....but I just like em. I like the way they feel when you play em, and I love the EMG 81/85 combo some of them have.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
I play metal.

I have one Schecter with active EMGs, another with Duncan Jazz/59 pus. Also I have Japanese LP Custom copy with Duncan 59s, which makes 2 Schecters sound & feel like joke. Note that one of PUs is the same in both guitars. In addition I have played some great Gibson LPs which make Schecters look like joke too, I've played some bad ones too. May be not really a fair comparison, but like you guys say around here this is GS after all.

In other words Schecters are very good for the price, they come equipped with very good tuners & nice big frets. I'm not trying to shrink Schecters, I actually recommend them, but still they are not there yet.

BTW I've got both my Schecters for under 400$ with PUs installed.
LPs are the ****..for metal though,i dont know..my buddy does some huge metal records and hates them..so that is kind of debateable...but i like gibson..I think the pickup for the Schecter is the Evolution..I have that in my bridge and it makes the mahony sound heavier then **** through a 5150....i know a lot of guys that record with jacksons, Deans and ibanez and the Schecter sounds just as good to me with the right pickups.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
LPs are the ****..for metal though,i dont know..my buddy does some huge metal records and hates them..so that is kind of debateable...but i like gibson..I think the pickup for the Schecter is the Evolution..I have that in my bridge and it makes the mahony sound heavier then **** through a 5150....i know a lot of guys that record with jacksons, Deans and ibanez and the Schecter sounds just as good to me with the right pickups.
Again, I'm not trying to start an argument, but if ibanez or jackson sound as good as LPs to you, that means your amp is not the "****". Of course you can make a nice record with Jackson or Shecter, but you can always make a better one with G LPs or equivalent. For instance I run Schecters into Uberschall & Herbert, then I run LP & trust me there is a BIG difference. LP brings amazing clarity & vibe, when with Schecters you might not be able to distinguish if it was D maj or D min. Yes, if your amp doesn't let your guitar come through - not much difference, except that it's not gonna be perfectly in tune most likely.

Now the only reason I've posted reply to your thread was that I didn't want
some guy who's shopping for a guitar think that if he bought a Schecter it'd be as good as what I think good guitars are.

I like your avatar BTWheh
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Guru

You won't see one of these in your local store.

First year of production USA custom built.

Solid one piece Koa body, Pau Ferro Tele neck.

I have it strung with the low 4 strings of a 5 string set.

The pick-ups are quite aggressive with push pull pots for vintage to hot settings.

The only issue I've had with this bass is the quality of the gold hardware coating,
but otherwise she plays beautifully.

Need to take a new photo, the camera's battery was dying when I took this shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Do yourself a favor..play a Schecter-schechter-pj-bassweb.jpg  
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Again, I'm not trying to start an argument, but if ibanez or jackson sound as good as LPs to you, that means your amp is not the "****". Of course you can make a nice record with Jackson or Shecter, but you can always make a better one with G LPs or equivalent. For instance I run Schecters into Uberschall & Herbert, then I run LP & trust me there is a BIG difference. LP brings amazing clarity & vibe, when with Schecters you might not be able to distinguish if it was D maj or D min. Yes, if your amp doesn't let your guitar come through - not much difference, except that it's not gonna be perfectly in tune most likely.

Now the only reason I've posted reply to your thread was that I didn't want
some guy who's shopping for a guitar think that if he bought a Schecter it'd be as good as what I think good guitars are.

I like your avatar BTWheh
Actually, I have played through the uberschall too..they have 5150s, 5150II, Engls, Buddas, Bogner..It's not like we don't know about good metal amps dude.
The 5150 is a great metal amp..in fact i think it is one of the most focused amps out there..you can then blend 2 tracks with an uberschall tracked twice and that is a sick tone.

I can hear all the notes in a Dmaj or Dmin just fine too...Of course, like I said, I put a new pickup in there, and that is something you simply must do. The clarity is amazing once you put in the Right pickup..and that is very important, because the wrong pickup will sound muddy and probably not give you the clarity you are describing.

It sounds like you are super into Les Pauls, and I don't blame you, but maybe the sound you like is not the metal sound I like..I don't know..but I rarely see metal bands playing Les Pauls in the studio....if you are talking about NuMetal or whatever, then that is different and I could see how a Les Paul would be perfect.

Anyway, an amazing Les Paul beats about everything for general studio use. You could have a tele and a LP and be set, but that doesn't really disprove my point..which was that the Schecter, for it's price sounds as good as guitars that are twice as much...The Les Pauls you are describing are more then twice as much anyway.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

I'm pretty sure we both like different tones, everyone should have his/her own. My point is that if your 5150 doesn't let you hear the difference between different guitars you plug into it, it doesn't say anything good about 5150.
Another thing is that you hear the difference & like Schecter sound better or you don't care about the difference. Now that you have mentioned that you like blending amps I more understand where you are coming from. I don't like blending amps, neither I like double tracking any more.

I don't know if I'm talking about nu-metal or what. There is so many metals now, like industrial, nu, heavy, trash.......whatever, I don't honestly know what goes where. Yes I'm more into modern metal, not 80s metal, if that's what you mean.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear
yeah..the 5150 is an amazing metal amp that is on a TON of modern metal records...not numetal though..but unless these guys are making national releases with a defective amp, I think what I am hearing was accurate. It's not "80's" metal, but it is more on the death metal, thrashy side where you want a dryer sounding distortion, so there are elements of that era in there.

I double tracking..pretty standard..i DON'T like massive tracking though..that poppy **** where they use baritone guitars blended in and 55 takes through 40 different amps..I dont like that..4 takes is fine for me. So yeah, Ill take a Les paul any day too for certain things, but sometimes I actually prefer the good ol SG..I have heard some SGs that just rule.

The Schecter is versatile..thats what I like at that price point..I can get a nice warm clean tone out of the neck with an air norton PUP going through a Fender amp, and I can get a heavy high gain sound going through a high gain amp with the bridge PUP.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
So yeah, Ill take a Les paul any day too for certain things, but sometimes I actually prefer the good ol SG..I have heard some SGs that just rule.
FWIW we recently re-tracked all the guitars on my own album (I am normally working on other peoples so it made a nice change ;-D) They were originally tracked through at £1,600.00 Les Paul Standard, none of us were keen (and we track Di’s & re-amp, so it had nothing to do with the amps...) & in the end we re-tracked and chose a cheaper (but still a real Gibson lol) SG... It’s a matter of taste, just because a guitar is more expensive, doesn’t mean it will be better suited to every single task... And LP are far from being the perfect guitar, apart from anything else, who need the chest pain when you are sitting down heh ( I do usually like em on clean stuff though...)

Oh and some Schecter’s really rock hard, I had a lad fly in from Dubai with a band for a session with a Schecter bass (because he didn’t want to risk anything more expensive on the plane) that I would have blind picked over any of the usual through-neck Warwick’s or Spector basses I normally admire...

N
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
You won't see one of these in your local store.

First year of production USA custom built.

Solid one piece Koa body, Pau Ferro Tele neck.

Nice! Now *that's* when Schecter was making killer guitars. I haven't touched anything with the Schecter name on it that was made after 1990, but every single Schecter guitar or bass from the 1980's (I think these were called "Califonia Custom" instruments) absolutely ruled, kicking the living snot out of the equivalent Fender product. My main bass is a Schecter B/4 (rear-routed Jazz Bass clone) circa 1985 and I'll put it up against any instrument in any price range. I used to borrow a Schecter H Series guitar (reverse-headstock Strat clone w/ EMGs) for sessions and I kick myself every day for not trying to buy that axe off the owner; it felt wonderful, it sounded wonderful, and it inspired me to play wonderful things...what more could one ask of a guitar? And I've been playing in a band with a guitarist who has a Schecter all-rosewood Telecaster w/ gold minihumbuckers from that same era, and every time he plugs it in I get a huge smile on my face, it just sounds *that* good. Twenty year old Schecters are THE SH!T, period.

No idea what the current Schecter instruments are like.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post

No idea what the current Schecter instruments are like.
They are really really good once you replace the stock pickups and get them setup properly.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I couple years back I needed a 7 string for a couple projects so I bought a Schecter guitar - a low-end model for around $300.

Solid Basswood string-through body design with tonepros locking bridge (stop tail piece, no trem), Grover tuners, jumbo frets, Seymour Designed pickups. Played great. Awesome guitar .. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 6 string from them...
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah..the 5150 is an amazing metal amp that is on a TON of modern metal records...not numetal though..
It doesn't have to be a metal amp though... I think a lot of people (kids?) bought this amp because it was affordable (or because Eddie's name is on the front), turned the gain on the lead channel up to 6 or 10 and fell into overdrive Nirvana. Ahhh sweet hairy tone for days....

However, get some good tubes and back that lead channel gain down to 1.8 or 2.5 and you can get a good, heavy rock tone without all the extra fuzz... (of course your choice of guitar and speaker cab helps too...)
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Schecters are cool if you like tuning every 15 minutes rather than every 15 bars... Also if you like your intonation to stay consistant for more than a day or so.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
And I've been playing in a band with a guitarist who has a Schecter all-rosewood Telecaster w/ gold minihumbuckers from that same era, and every time he plugs it in I get a huge smile on my face, it just sounds *that* good.
Interesting! My Schecter is an American, all rosewood, tele shape with coil-tap, gold-center humbuckers (guess they were called PTs then too -- after the Pete Townshend customs). Bought it in the early-early 90s in a small shop in Indiana. I've always wonder what production year it was. Maybe it's a same-or-close-to run?

Anyway, it's my go-to guitar for most recording. Great tone and intonation.

Can't say I have as much love for the Schecter line since they embraced that nu-metal vibe. But, it seems to have been a wise enough marketing choice for them.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search