The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Underrated Rock Guitarists
Old 14th July 2007
Gear Addict

Underrated Rock Guitarists

The other day someone had a post about Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" and it really got me thinking about how bad @ss Neal Schon is. He's one of the most underrated rock guitarists ever, IMHO. So, yesterday I was listening to some Bryan Adams tracks and "Cuts Like a Knife" still rocks as if it were cut just the other day. Then I realized . . . another underrated guitarist is making this happen . . . Keith Scott. I decided I'd start a post so everyone could chime in and mention some others. Here's two more . . . Mike Campbell and Lindsey Buckingham (though one could argue he's a little more recognized).

dj
Old 14th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Those guys are hardly underrated.
When they were at the top of the charts they got tons of press and accolades.
Look into Richard Thompson's career and listen to his catalog.
He's the most prolific and technically gifted guitarist and songwriter I've ever heard and he'll never make the usual lists that guys like Neal and Lindsey always make.
Old 14th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Underrated guitarist.

Rhythm, lead, or both?
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

Mike Hall (Killer Dwarfs)
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear
Dave Gregory (XTC)
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

Billy Corgan - This guy can SHRED, and is as creative as all hell. That's him playing those amazing leads on "Gish" in case you didn't know. Most badass guitar-move I've ever seen was Billy jumping off a double-stacked cab while swinging his guitar over his head in a circle only to come down on the final chord of "Rocket." The whole arena went ape-sh*t.

Chris Cornell - Have you ever tried playing old Soundgarden songs and singing them at the same time? With that kinda conviction, power, and melodic genius?

Greg Hetson - The guy just turned 46 and can jump a good three feet into the air while palmuting 32nd notes. And he's doing it on the first song all the way to the thirtieth song of the set. The man has passion.

Noodles - Same as Greg, only he ain't got as much ups.

Adam Jones - Never gets any props and he's in one of the greatest bands of our era. That doesn't happen because you suck. Never oversteps his boundaries and plays exactly what needs to be played 100% of the time. Oh, and he's a tone/pedal board monster.
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

Andy Cairns - Therapy?
Bob Mould - Husker Du/Sugar

are a couple that come to mind.
Old 14th July 2007
Gear Head

tom verlaine
robyn hitchcock (listen to underwater moonlight )
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

Just saw the Police... Andy Summers is usually not a name that comes up when talking about guitar players. I don't care so much for his solo's, but his hooks and parts just fit the pocket so nicely and make my ears feels great!

They started the show with "Message in a Bottle". No speaking or introduction, just a raw guitar coming in. What a musical statement!! And the crowd was the best I've seen at any concert.

Sorry for the tangent.
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

Guitar Jocks, unite in your disdain for the following post:

Kurt Cobain: Any solo on "Bleach". Any solo on "Incesticide". The second half of the solo to "In Bloom". 10 seconds of friggin magic in each.

Marc Ribot: If you don't get why this guy's work with Tom Waits is amazing, you just don't get music.

There, I said it. Two players who make me realize that I don't actually hate guitar solos.

Honorable mention: Neil Young. This guy sounds like rusty nails. Have you listened to "Southern Man" recently?
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

Jon Brion
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

I'm going to see the Police Monday. Can't wait!

Neil
Old 14th July 2007
Airwindows

Neil Young.
Davey Johnstone.
Dave Davies.
Old 14th July 2007
Here for the gear

If you don't get Angus, your wife/girlfriend needs to turn her head and cough (or maybe you need to swallow)
Old 14th July 2007
Stevie Salas!!!!!!!!
Not only cool and great guy!
Amazing guitar player, singer-songwriter !!
Played with legends...

Nobody plays funk rock like him...but he rocks hard too!
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
Guitar Jocks, unite in your disdain for the following post:

Kurt Cobain: Any solo on "Bleach". Any solo on "Incesticide". The second half of the solo to "In Bloom". 10 seconds of friggin magic in each.

Marc Ribot: If you don't get why this guy's work with Tom Waits is amazing, you just don't get music.

There, I said it. Two players who make me realize that I don't actually hate guitar solos.

Honorable mention: Neil Young. This guy sounds like rusty nails. Have you listened to "Southern Man" recently?
I agree with everything you said. Rain Dogs anyone? Hairspray Queen's solo is like watching a 3 year old with silly-puddy, it's so raw in all the right ways. And neil young does quite well with just the pentatonic scale, no need for the butter notes to creat impact. My favourite player of late however is Johnny Marr, just love those picked arpeggiated riffs.

Underrated as well: John Lennon's rythem playing: no reply or his fingerpicking and chord selection in something like Julia. How about the chord progression in I am the Walrus? Very cool understated stuff.

+1 for Jon brion and Elliott Smith as well
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

heavy question, i dig it!

seen neal schon posted first, nice check out some of there old live stuff and you get to see randy jackson rockin on bass in pink spandex!!

i am glad kurt cobain can never touch a guitar again! sorry but he ruined it for to many TRUE players, and almost single handedly ruined the future of guitar, thank goodness dimebag was around at that time!! (that'll get a rise, sorry just my opinion)

prince

john 5, dont judge by the zombie manson stuff he's done. his solo albums are quite impressive

johnny hiland, BADA**

jim matheos, fates warning, osi, AMAZING rhythm and timing chops

danny gatton, one of the true masters

les paul, this guy had CHOPS give some of it a listen sometime if you havent, its like prog'd out jazz with a flavorful twist yet recorded before me or my mom in that case was born...

ty tabor, tasty chops!!

frank zappa, da man, dweezil is quite the shredder himself!

glen buxton/ michael bruce, c'mon you gotta admit the old cooper stuff is stupidly catchy!!!

ok off my pedastal now, i would have to start thinking to come up with some more.....
Old 14th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Peter Frampton
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

Bob "Derwood" Andrews-Generation X
James Honeyman-Scott-Pretenders
Paul Westerberg
Bob Mould
Midge Ure
Steve Jones
Andy Scott-Sweet
Kevin Cadogan-Third Eye Blind
Rick Nielsen
Elliot Easton
Old 14th July 2007
Here for the gear

Steve Clark (RIP) - Def Leppard: my favorite 80s guitarist
Jake Kiley - Strung Out: idolizes Randy Rhodes and plays like it
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
i am glad kurt cobain can never touch a guitar again! sorry but he ruined it for to many TRUE players, and almost single handedly ruined the future of guitar, thank goodness dimebag was around at that time!! (that'll get a rise, sorry just my opinion)
"True players" "ruined the future of guitar"
those are some of the most entertaining things I've heard in a while.
like how you set it up too.
The Dark lord Kurt Cobain: Destructor, and Enemy to all true and free Guitar players.
The Great hope Dimebag Darrell weilding the light. The voice of the "true player" rocking out mean guitar solos for the real people, that haven't descended into darkness.

truly wonderful. you certainly give Cobain alot of credit.

I think theres a much bigger problem with Over-rating guitar players.
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmenC View Post
Dave Gregory (XTC)
One of the greatest pop players, I think. He runs a clinic on "Oranges and Lemons." Every guitar player should pick up that album and study. You may not love the tracks (I do), but the musicianship (i.e., technique, arrangement, tone) is unquestionable.
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

I saw The Who live on Monday and I ever even had thought about how good Pete Townsend actually is. Don't know if he is under/overrated, but as a guitar player he has never meant anything to me until now. Amazing player!!
Old 14th July 2007
NELS CLINE.
Absurd. Underground hero. From unconventional noise to conventional jazz,
he's got this instrument down (and the pedals too).
DO go see him whenever you can.
Old 14th July 2007
Here's an obscure one if you're not a Canadian -

Kim Mitchell.
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

Alan Murphy (passed on about twenty years ago).

Someone here must know/like him right?
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

Vivian Campbell when he played with Dio. He wasn't even 20 when he recorded 'Holy Diver'.
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear
Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues I always thought was an amazing guitarist who came up with some really simple but awesome leads, No one ever talks much about him...
Old 14th July 2007
Lives for gear

Lou Reed !
Old 14th July 2007
Gear Head

Nils Lofgen
📝 Reply