The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Underrated Rock Guitarists
Old 18th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
"You Make Me Feel" is one of the most amazing pockets ever and they were both part of it. That's enough for me.
With G.E. it had more to do with his shameless mugging in front of the camera.
Old 18th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
With G.E. it had more to do with his shameless mugging in front of the camera.
It's SNL. That's the gig. With H&O he had a different role and he played it the way those bosses wanted it played.
Old 18th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Always liked him with Hall and Oates and SNL. Never could stand G.E. Smith for some reason, but always liked T-Bone.
Tommy was the nicest and humblest guy you'd ever run into. He just loved playing. When he was not on tour he'd show up at one of the old haunts - a sleazy bar and he'd jam with whatever band was playing. A friend of mine ran into both Tommy and GE Smith at a bar in MT Kisco NY and he said that GE acted like he was some big deal.
Old 18th April 2020
Lives for gear
Back on topic...Rik Emmet from Triumph was known for the songs as his voice, but he was a great guitarist too. Not a shedder, but he played with soul.
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

I haven't gone through all 40 pages, but I'm going to bet someone's already mentioned Bill Nelson.

Is Andy Summers under-rated, or just under-represented?
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I haven't gone through all 40 pages, but I'm going to bet someone's already mentioned Bill Nelson.

Andy Summers is rated, but not as highly as Andy Summers believes he should be
Old 19th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Ulrich Roth!
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post

Yeah, Andy Summers had very creative, distinctive guitar parts in many of those classic songs.
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti View Post
Yeah, Andy Summers had very creative, distinctive guitar parts in many of those classic songs.
He's pivotal to the Police's sound and conception, without question. I don't know if he was ever underrated.

I thought Dominic Miller played those guitar parts better when Sting played them.

He definitely wasn't underrated when he tried to veer off to jazz and fusion...
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
He's pivotal to the Police's sound and conception, without question. I don't know if he was ever underrated.

I thought Dominic Miller played those guitar parts better when Sting played them.

He definitely wasn't underrated when he tried to veer off to jazz and fusion...
What happened when he veered off to jazz and fusion? not so good?
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti View Post
What happened when he veered off to jazz and fusion? not so good?
You can judge for yourself. To me it's kinda like Scofield without the chops, fluidity, melodicism and harmonic/theoretical knowledge. His tone's nice though.
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for snowflakes

Old 19th April 2020
Here for the gear

Ty Tabor - King's X
Brilliant writing, textures, tones, notes.
Old 20th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can judge for yourself. To me it's kinda like Scofield without the chops, fluidity, melodicism and harmonic/theoretical knowledge. His tone's nice though.
Can't listen to stuff like that without thinking of this.

Old 28th May 2020
Gear Nut

Andy McCoy from Hanoi Rocks and Iggy Pop's best touring band.

He plays with an aggressive, careening abandon. I don't think enough people have been exposed to his playing. An odd, Euro-Keith Richards, Hillbilly-Gypsy style.

Incredible songwriter, and wrote and recorded more great songs before he was 22 (all 5 Hanoi Rocks records) than anyone else I can think of.
Old 7th June 2020
Gear Addict
The Edge... He doesn’t miss a note playing live.

Dean DeLeo (STP) and Mike Eizinger (Incubus)... Pretty interesting use of non conventional chord shapes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannny View Post
Andy McCoy from Hanoi Rocks and Iggy Pop's best touring band.

He plays with an aggressive, careening abandon. I don't think enough people have been exposed to his playing. An odd, Euro-Keith Richards, Hillbilly-Gypsy style.

Incredible songwriter, and wrote and recorded more great songs before he was 22 (all 5 Hanoi Rocks records) than anyone else I can think of.
I'd second this. And he continued with the later Hanoi records, too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I don't wanna read all the 40 pages but till page 14 nothing about;

Carlo Rios - great guitar work on Gino Vanelli's Brother to Brother.
JG Watson - listen to Space Guitar, way back in the fifties he was far ahead of the rest and live a great performer.
Frank Marino - great Canadian spacey bluesrocker but could play so much more.
Andy Powell - for all those great Wishbone Ash solo's.
Jeff Golub - such a great bluesplayer, died much too soon.
Michael lee Firkins - just listen to his album Laughing Stacks.
Jim Messina - for al the albums with Poco, Kenny Loggins and some great solo albums.
Jerome Hol Trio - very unknown jazzrock/blues trio but what a great guitarplayer.
Joanne Shaw Taylor - one of the less well known female players, way underrated.
Andy Tielman - way back in 1960 he showed what rock 'n roll was all about; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muKkVufgkAE
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I really became aware of John Mc Geoch lately, what a great and creative player. Unfortunately no longer with us.

from thew late 70s on, he was a major contributor to at least three major bands - Magazine, Siouxie and the Banshees and P.I.L Totally unselfish and song oriented but he could solo with a Jeff Beck like majesty if it was called for.

(Disclaimer: Check this out on CD/vinyl or Spotify, it's MASSIVE sounding, though it sounds rather weak here on YouTube.)

Here's a great Sly Stone cover from the third Magazine album. Produced by the amazing if troubled Martin Hannett (of Joy Division fame)

On a side note: Where did this thing that 'punk bands couldn't play' come from? Just the lack of blues cliches and macho ******y? Now you might argue what 'punk' is or where 'post-punk' or 'New Wave' starts, etc.

But looking back Steve Jones of the Pistols was one of the tightest rhythm player ever, Mick Jones of the Clash was a great guitar architect and formed a fantastic partnership with the more primal guitar approach of Joe Strummer.

Bernard Butler of Joy Division, Andy Gill of Gang of Four or especially Keith Levene who was in P.I.L before Mc Geoch were all fantastic guitarists.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Deserving of more recognition

Adrian Belew
Rob Fetters, The Rasins, Psychodots, The Bears.

I've been watching Fetters' weekly at home concerts.

Dave Gregory

Hugh McCracken, check out his lengthy discography.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_M...en#Discography
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
Bernard Butler of Joy Division
Beware, the Fact Police approacheth...

Bernard Butler played with Suede on their first 2 records. He was - and still is - an excellent guitarist, probably sheltering under the 'underrated' banner himself.

Bernard Sumner played with Joy Division and is imo, also excellent.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofspain View Post
Beware, the Fact Police approacheth...

Bernard Butler played with Suede on their first 2 records. He was - and still is - an excellent guitarist, probably sheltering under the 'underrated' banner himself.

Bernard Sumner played with Joy Division and is imo, also excellent.

Oooops!

Sorry and of course you're right, I meant Bernard Sumner!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Everyone knows the cliche "standing on the shoulders of Giants" and in the guitar world there have been very specific individuals who created the milestones that defined, first a generation, and subsequently every player after. Today everyone knows of Jimi Hendrix but his importance is lost on many born after his death who cannot possibly grasp what the world of guitar was like before him. A bit further back and FAR more fundamental and important to literally everything that came after him is all but unknown by the majority of players alive today. This is what makes a guitar player great... complete surrender to the medium, where the guitar is as familiar as your hands. Lighnin changed everything.

πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear