The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chicago guitar repair/tech
Old 9th July 2007
Gear maniac

Chicago guitar repair/tech

Can anyone recommend a very good (quality work at a reasonable price) guitar repair technician in the Chicago-land area? I need some cracks mended on a vintage Gibson acoustic and neck adjustments on my tele and baritone.

Thanks.
Old 10th July 2007
Gear maniac

bump.
Old 10th July 2007
Gear maniac

Old 11th July 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey decibel View Post
If you feel like making the trip, I highly recommend Denny Rauen in Milwaukee
I'm moving to Milwaukee within the next year, so I appreciate the heads up.

Anyone else with some Chicago recommendations? Perhaps some that you'd advise against?

-Jp
Old 11th July 2007
Gear Head

I would like to know this as well.

I have had Guitar Works in Evanston do most of the work on my guitars. I have had 2 refret’s done, as well as sanding down the necks so there is little bend in them. They did a very nice job on those two guitars. One of them as an old Gibson L-5. They also fitted one of my acoustics with a pick-up and an internal mic. They did not do as good a job on this because they had no idea about mic placement. So, I guess it all really depends on who is working in the shop that week.

I have a friend who uses Joe Campagna, in Clarendon Hills, for all his major guitar repairs. I have never used him so I can't tell you how good he is.

Good luck!
Old 11th July 2007
Lives for gear

If you are on the south side

Jery Loy (708) 671-0710

Old 24th July 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarr View Post
I would like to know this as well.

I have had Guitar Works in Evanston do most of the work on my guitars. I have had 2 refret’s done, as well as sanding down the necks so there is little bend in them. They did a very nice job on those two guitars. One of them as an old Gibson L-5. They also fitted one of my acoustics with a pick-up and an internal mic. They did not do as good a job on this because they had no idea about mic placement. So, I guess it all really depends on who is working in the shop that week.

I have a friend who uses Joe Campagna, in Clarendon Hills, for all his major guitar repairs. I have never used him so I can't tell you how good he is.

Good luck!
Can I ask how the customer service was in GWs?
Old 25th July 2007
Gear Head

I found the customer service to be good. If you go in, try to talk to Terry, he owns the place and he has the most knowledge. He may be busy in the rest of the shop so you may be stuck talking with the repair shop guys but I have had ok luck with them. It usually takes them 2 weeks to get the repairs done.

Good luck!
Old 25th July 2007
Gear addict

Ha! It's funny, I've been there a few times when I used to live in Evanston just a couple of blocks away from it & every time I've noticed some sort of attitude from the personnel working there. the last time I was there I saw a cab I was interested in & I asked to fire it up so I can try it & it took them 15 minutes to go back & forth until I just got tired & left ending up buying the cab somewhere else. At the same time Flynn Guitars in Evanston has a good professional manner dealing with customers, I've been happy with the work they have done on my electric guitars, but nothings serious really.
Old 27th July 2007
Lives for gear

Tim Schroeder is THE Chicago tech. He's the guy that the big name touring musicians tend to go to when they're in town and in a bind. I've been going to him exclusively for years and he's rock solid. Very knowledgeable and his work is perfect every time. A great and humble guy, too.

Schroeder Guitar Repair and Custom Building

GuitarWorks - eh, I have mixed feeling about them. Nice gear, nice guys, decent repair shop. Sometimes great, sometimes not so much. I bought a very expensive acoustic from them once and the wood separated a month after I got it. It had been kept in strict conditions of 40% humidity but their repair guy was brutally accusing me of drying it out, then seemed unsure about his ability to repair it to be "as-new again."
Old 27th July 2007
Gear addict

Are they together with Makenmusic?
Old 27th July 2007
Gear Nut

schroeder

next door to makenmusic. first door on your left back there. great guy, best in town. does all our amps, guitars, the pedal steel, and our tel ray.

best,

josh
Old 21st September 2011
Gear interested

Milwaukee guitar co

I am denny rauens former apprentice- I now have my own shop on the south side of milwaukee. I make custom guitars and basses as well as effects. I do all repair work as well. Check out my website www.milwaukeeguitarcompany.com. Mention this post and I'll knock 15% off your bill.
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Tim Schroeder is THE Chicago tech.
This is the correct answer.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Funny, I had my green telecaster built by Guitar Works back in '94 out of Warmoth and Stew mac parts - great back then.

Flynn Guitars on Green Bay Road may also be a good choice or know of others that can do this work; they tend to sell more vintage gear than Guitar Works.
Old 31st July 2014
Gear interested

Old 31st July 2014
Gear maniac

Geoff Benge has done great work for me, and reasonably so. Works out of his apartment now. Odd guy - but fair, makes smart recommendations, doesnt oversell the service, etc. My kind of guy.

Specifically, I've had 2 refrets on maple neck strats, 1 reradius (he did a cool sort of a mild compound radius thing that I love), nitro refinish, transducer pickup installed in an old martin, and a setup on a paul that allowed me to get the stopbar screwed all the way down to the body without the strings choking out on the TOM. I just couldn't get it right doing it myself.

And I typically do all my own work except fretwork.

This is him. Hope it's ok to put this on here. Geoff Benge | Chicago Guitar Repair | Home
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Nut

Third Coast Guitar repair. Seemed to do exactly what I needed, on time and reasonable. Guitars were returned in better shape than when they were left, including a vintage 63 SG Junior.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search