The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Swart Night Light 30w or ToneKing Ironman Mini 30w? 30w Attenuators
Old 8th August 2020
Swart Night Light 30w or ToneKing Ironman Mini 30w? 30w Attenuators

Swart Night Light 30w attenuator, or 28w with the compression engaged or something? Seems sweet, built by a boutique amp company so that their low-wattage amps sound good with an attenuator.

Or...

ToneKing IronMan II Mini, also 30w, and built by a boutique amp company so that their low-wattage amps sound good with an attenuator.

My #1 right now is a 30w ToneKing Meteor, which is 30w with four 6V6's. Fender Deluxe Reverb clean channel, Tweed distortion channel. Phenomenal IMO. Swart is also a great company with excellent amps.

Prob can't go wrong pairing it with the ToneKing, but the Swart seems a little cheaper. Curious if anyone has anything to say about either, or ideally has tried both.

Whatcha think?
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Head
I’ve only used the Ironman II built into the Imperial Mk II and the Falcon Grande, but hot damn does it work and sounds great. Can’t testify to the other one but the Ironman II felt like it kept 98% of the tone, saturation, and organic quality.

I have used some other attenuators on friends’ rigs, and I felt like they all took something away in the tone too. I didn’t feel that way with the Ironman.

I know that the designer intentionally built the circuitry so that the bass response improves and sounds more natural at lower levels, vs other attenuators which I think mostly don’t adjust EQ as they go down? Anyway it works. I want one for my AC15.
📝 Reply