The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New HSS Strat custom build - need input!
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Head

New HSS Strat custom build - need input!

Evening lads!

Long story short I've had a '91 Clapton Strat for ages, that never sounded very good...so at one point I took off the pickguard and looked at what was inside:

Someone had gutted everything, the pups, the electronics, and replaced it, if I had to guess, with some cheap pups and electronics from a pre-wired pickguard they got somewhere. (Part of me hopes the guy who sold it to me, who I considered a friend, didn't know this!)

So it's a lovely guitar, and at this point I'm ready to give it the pups+electronics it deserves.

I've done loads of research and I've decided to go with a HSS configuration, with these pups:

Neck: Fralin Split Blade (Vintage output)
Middle: Fralin Split Blade (Blues output)
Bridge: Seymour Duncan Hot-Rails

I think these pickups sound amazing in a wide variety of guitars and want to give them a shot, I'm just wondering if the output will be relatively well-matched.

I've decided to use the above with this wiring configuration:
https://www.fralinpickups.com/wp-con...tion-Guide.pdf
except replacing the Fralin humbucker with the SD, of course.

Any insights, warnings, thoughts or opinions on this build (particularly the electronics/wiring) is greatly appreciated...thanks!
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear
In the spirit of noiselessness, I would wire the push-pull for series / parallel rather than series / split, like this. Parallel is slightly quieter and brighter than split though, so you may want to try and see. Ime for a bridge humbucker to sound half decent split or parallel it has to be really hot (e.g. the full size DiMarzio Breed, which is my favourite for this) and I don't know if the Hot Rails is that hot.

If you try it and don't care much for it, there are other things you can do with the push-pull. Fralin has a few and there are many more out there.
Old 11th August 2020
Here for the gear

just be aware of the color coding of the wire leads, IF the leads aren't simple shield and hot, they may be different on the Fralin from those on the SD.

r
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKirn View Post
just be aware of the color coding of the wire leads, IF the leads aren't simple shield and hot, they may be different on the Fralin from those on the SD.

r
Good point. As there is no standard for pickup phase, always check when mixing brands: if a combination results in a very quiet and thin sound, you may need to reverse one of them. In this case it would be easier to do it on the SD, as the shield (bare wire) is independent from the coil leads. If required, simply swap black with white and red with green in the diagram linked above, and leave the bare wire connected to ground.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabirio View Post
Good point. As there is no standard for pickup phase, always check when mixing brands: if a combination results in a very quiet and thin sound, you may need to reverse one of them. In this case it would be easier to do it on the SD, as the shield (bare wire) is independent from the coil leads. If required, simply swap black with white and red with green in the diagram linked above, and leave the bare wire connected to ground.
For some additional reference, I cracked her open and took some pics (attached at bottom)

So a tech I know re-wired the botch-job the guy who originally replaced the pickguard did, but I can't remember if I had him replace the pots or not.

As you can see on the 2nd image, there's a # on the 250k tone pot, "R1379720", not sure if that helps identify it or not. And a little orange-drop cap in there.

I was going to get all new CTS pots anyway (in addition to the Fralin Push-pull blender pot on the bridge, and might just get a 500k no-load since I am going to be controlling the Bridge Humbucker with the master tone as well and don't want it to sound dull.

Also since for some odd reason the tech decided to cut off the lugs he didn't use for the tone pots.

The 2 Single coils in there are these Dimarzios
, and the Bridge as far as I can tell is a SD lil' '59 mini-humbucker.

They're just too weak output wise for my taste
Attached Thumbnails
New HSS Strat custom build - need input!-20200810_181259.jpg   New HSS Strat custom build - need input!-20200810_181338.jpg   New HSS Strat custom build - need input!-20200810_181226.jpg  
📝 Reply