The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help identifying this guitar
Old 7th August 2020
Here for the gear

Help identifying this guitar

Just curious if anyone could help me identify the brand of this guitar?

The person who gave it to me for free speculated that it was an older Tiesco guitar, but any information would be appreciated!

The headstock just says Made in Japan on the back

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Help identifying this guitar-full.png   Help identifying this guitar-back.png   Help identifying this guitar-body.png   Help identifying this guitar-headstock.png  
Old 8th August 2020
Looks like an early/mid '60s Japanese Teisco Del Ray or something very similar. That actual brand could be one of many, as the factories that made those OEMed them to many different importers and companies.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

That's my guess too, a production model manufactured in Japan to be sold in (mostly) U.S. Department Stores in the mid 60's. If it were a Teisco it would have had a name plate identification logo. Japan was at that time starting to buy up excelent wood stocks to manufacture high quality musical instruments using top craftsman . These low end replicas could probably sound pretty good with some work considering the woods may have been pretty decent. * The odd "custom Strat/Tel shape and head is different. I guess they pretty much left it up to you to make up your own logo. I put a big "H" on the head of a "Custom Japanese made Hofner" bass that I have. If it's playable, that's the main thing. "TELEISCO" Might sound "ratty" punk. Definitely add some flames.

Last edited by AfterViewer; 8th August 2020 at 05:58 AM..
Old 8th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterViewer View Post
That's my guess too, a production model manufactured in Japan to be sold in (mostly) U.S. Department Stores in the mid 60's. If it were a Teisco it would have had a name plate identification logo.
This, unfortunately, is not true. I'm 70 now. I was around when those guitars were in all the dime and department stores. Teisco was incredibly prolific and sold the same instrument under around a dozen or more different names. They'd sell by the container to a US seller with no name on the headstock.

It was pretty crazy.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

I can agree with your assessment although my first solid body sunburst steel 6-string at 14 yrs of age was a new Teisco that was fully logo'd but you seem to know about the production and distribution back then so I'll go with that. I'm 68. Yes, crazy, and all those guitars flew out the door for all the future players on their way to the next level.
Old 9th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterViewer View Post
I can agree with your assessment although my first solid body sunburst steel 6-string at 14 yrs of age was a new Teisco that was fully logo'd but you seem to know about the production and distribution back then so I'll go with that. I'm 68. Yes, crazy, and all those guitars flew out the door for all the future players on their way to the next level.
I'm sure it was. But Teisco made far more guitars than were sold under the Teisco name.

I used to have a Domino hollow body. I've seen the exact same guitar sold as a Teisco, a Teisco Del Rey, a Domino, a Del Rey, and probably a dozen other smaller names. Was not too bad a guitar as department store guitars go. The whammy was useless - would not stay in tune. And the damn bridge moved every time you tried to tune it until I installed a couple of sandpaper tabs That was back about '69......
Old 10th August 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies and helping shed some light on this guitar!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Check out this Japanese guitar reference info:
https://reverb.com/news/its-not-all-...-guitar-makers
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I found out what it was!
Guyatone LG - 130T
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear