The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question on wiring guitar with no tone pots
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Question on wiring guitar with no tone pots

I've got a project stratocaster I'm workin on. HSS configuration

Basically, I never use the tone pots. Even on single coils. I tend to dial the amp and pedals the way I like and just play.

I know EVH had his humbucker wide open.

I'm considering doing the same thing with my HSS. Is there a link somewhere with a picture for wiring it up for someone kind of slow like me??? I know it probably seems easy to a lot of you guys.

FWIW I'm leaving the tone knobs on the guitar for aesthetic purposes, just have no intention of using them and would like to hear what it sounds like wide open
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonCarlston View Post
I've got a project stratocaster I'm workin on. HSS configuration

Basically, I never use the tone pots. Even on single coils. I tend to dial the amp and pedals the way I like and just play.

I know EVH had his humbucker wide open.

I'm considering doing the same thing with my HSS. Is there a link somewhere with a picture for wiring it up for someone kind of slow like me??? I know it probably seems easy to a lot of you guys.

FWIW I'm leaving the tone knobs on the guitar for aesthetic purposes, just have no intention of using them and would like to hear what it sounds like wide open
just unsolder all your pickup leads from the switch or pots, then solder thenm to the jack, all cores together and all shields/grounds together to the jack.
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Maniac

You can use one of the pots asva blender pot.
http://www.fralinpickups.com/images/blendschem2.jpg
That way you can use the neck and bridge pickup together.
The last pot could be used for bass-cut. This is can be used to reduce overdrive without volume loss.
Old 8th August 2020
<chuckle>

<other chuckle>

Lots of smart kids here. (Just turned 70. anybody below 55 is a kid now.)

<cackle>

However it seems that everybody missed the point, which, of course, is this:

WHAT DOES IT SOUND LIKE WIDE OPEN, with nothing else in-circuit to load the pickup(s)?

You need a bypass switch, pretty easy. You need to lift the input lead from the volume/tone circuit and the output lead from that circuit and connect them together.

You should get a noticeably stronger tone. I have a couple guitars wired like that. Don't have any multiple pickup ones, but could scribble something down.
Old 8th August 2020
Gear Guru

I think you would go into lug 3 of the volume pot, lug 2 goes to the output jack, lug 1 gets shorted to the back of the pot and goes to the ground connection on the output jack. Pickup ground probably to the back of the pot also.

My RGA is wired like this, it's totally wonderful. The humbuckers are so hot that it has a really good sounding coil split also.

If you want no volume pot, remove the pot, just add the 500K impedance (or whatever your choice is) by adding a 500K resistor from hot to ground. This will simulate having a volume pot at full rotation (no attenuation) but will still load the pickups as they usually are expected to be loaded. This will put the resonant peak of the pickup in the "expected" frequency as a guitar that would have pots.
Old 9th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I think you would go into lug 3 of the volume pot, lug 2 goes to the output jack, lug 1 gets shorted to the back of the pot and goes to the ground connection on the output jack. Pickup ground probably to the back of the pot also.

My RGA is wired like this, it's totally wonderful. The humbuckers are so hot that it has a really good sounding coil split also.

If you want no volume pot, remove the pot, just add the 500K impedance (or whatever your choice is) by adding a 500K resistor from hot to ground. This will simulate having a volume pot at full rotation (no attenuation) but will still load the pickups as they usually are expected to be loaded. This will put the resonant peak of the pickup in the "expected" frequency as a guitar that would have pots.
If you want that, but I really see no purpose - to me the whole point is to get the sound of an unloaded pickup - more level, better high end.
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
If you want that, but I really see no purpose - to me the whole point is to get the sound of an unloaded pickup - more level, better high end.
I've never tried either one, but sure. If it's "too bright" you could always add in some impedance to tame the top end.

I'm not sure if I would want to hear a low output pickup with no load, unless it's some old Supro or something that's already darkened. A strat pickup I might be scared of.

I guess the idea is the guitar electronics impedance is parallel with the amp or pedal input impedance.
Old 11th August 2020
Use a no-load tone pot and it's out of circuit. The normal strat wiring scheme has the bridge pickup wired without a tone control.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Use a no-load tone pot and it's out of circuit. The normal strat wiring scheme has the bridge pickup wired without a tone control.
I re-wired both of mine to have a single tone control on all three pickups. I use the extra knob for a "Deaf Eddie" switch which does extra pickup combinations. Pretty cool. Been playing a lot of strat lately.

The bridge pickup very often seems to be the one that needs the tone rolled back more than any of the rest of them. At least for my taste in tone.

I guess some people are into that sizzling high end thing. I find it hard at higher volumes to tolerate. I think it's a big reason why a lot of players say that they "hate strats." That and the lower output of the pickups.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear