The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone done a shootout between a Royer R-122 MKII and a R-122V?
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Anyone done a shootout between a Royer R-122 MKII and a R-122V?

Foreword: I'm aware this is a mic question in a guitar forum, but the primary target is square on a guitar cabinet.

There is a huge price difference between these two models; I am trying to decide if the 122V has crossed the "diminishing returns" curve. I don't currently have much in the way of pre-amps, but this is merely a temporary issue. Still, I can't help but wonder if the 122V is worth the extra cost or if it's wisest to obtain the 122 mkii PLUS a decent mic pre (Hell, for the price difference one could secure a FANTASTIC pre-amp).

En lieu of the ability to rent these two for the purpose of demoing (my "Next Door Expert" Bubba's Music doesn't cater to this demographic as he's mainly pedaling starter packs from a PoS modular home) has anyone tried a shootout with these two versions?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Can't speak to the R122MKII, but we have an R122 and the R-122V, and it's no contest; the R-122V is way richer and rounder. The R122 sounds very vanilla and boring in comparison. We are using a Chandler TG-2 preamp for guitars, and the combination is killer. BTW - as good as the R-122V is on guitar cabs, it's even better on horns (especially sax)...

Dave/Suspect Studios
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspects View Post
Can't speak to the R122MKII, but we have an R122 and the R-122V, and it's no contest; the R-122V is way richer and rounder. The R122 sounds very vanilla and boring in comparison. We are using a Chandler TG-2 preamp for guitars, and the combination is killer. BTW - as good as the R-122V is on guitar cabs, it's even better on horns (especially sax)...

Dave/Suspect Studios
Interesting. We did a shootout some time ago and the conclusion was the opposite. I must say that I am not a fan of any Royers, I prefer other ribbon mics
The 122V had a "tubbier" sound, or someones idea of one. It worked ok on acoustic strings, and even on brass on occasion. The R122, was a "cleaner" version and that made it much more versatile. And we could make it as "fat" as you like using one of many tube pre-amps we have. TG2 is one of my favourite electric guitar pre-amps, but it has a peak in the presence region, and probably that compensated the "fatness" of the the 122V. But you cannot undo that "tube" sound in 122V, where with a 122 and a cheap-ish tube pre you can get same and more.
Plus from memory you could buy 2x122's for the price of 122V (which it shouldn't be). We bought 4x122's (and a couple of 121, ...)
📝 Reply