The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tight strumming
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Nut

Tight strumming

Hi,
How can I get Tight strumming like in this song (3:24-3:28)
I tried to strumming with Fender thin pick but it's sounds different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ri9U24Xpc8
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
(3:24-3:28)
sounds a bit like finger strumming .. at a guess ..
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

Typical flamenco strum - do you have a flamenco guitar or just a classical? Flamenco gives more attack. Regardless its a very fast strum, likely several layers hard panned with High pass and compression, reverb or delay so it doesnt stick out, i’m sure other EQ to fit the dense mix.

Could be a pick or just a lot of compression on a finger strum, but honestly i’d do about 8 takes each with hard, medium and thin and see what the blend sounds like, drop what isnt helping your sound goals. Fingernails played like that are like a pick anyway.

These are as fast and violent strums as it takes without sending the guitar out of tune. Then squash it pretty good with a colored comp, med:slow attack to keep some slap. Gd lk
Old 6th August 2020
It's finger strumming with nails, probably about 1/8"" long, typical for flamenco.

You can ignore "latest flavor" - this is not a problem to be solved with electronic tomfoolery and it's definitely NOT a flat pick.
Old 6th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
It's finger strumming with nails, probably about 1/8"" long, typical for flamenco.

You can ignore "latest flavor" - this is not a problem to be solved with electronic tomfoolery and it's definitely NOT a flat pick.
The track is heavily compressed in a dense mix. The guy obv does not play flamenco and may not have nails. But you are the man, really showed me up!
Old 6th August 2020
Compressed and gated. Sounds like samples to me. You can basically make a few samples and cut the heads and tails (or use the ADSR to tighten things up to notes you play on a keyboard). Alternatively you strum away and then edit directly in the note lane cutting and giving little fades in and out at the ends of the notes. Real guitar has resonance that’s impossible to fully silence without creating additional noise as your hands touch the body and strings.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Checked out the vid. That's an oud player's finger/pick strum. Many Eastern styles use a strum like that. Mandolin is tighter with a pick. Nails or pick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY4YW-Wmf-Y

Last edited by AfterViewer; 8th August 2020 at 05:59 AM..
Old 9th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by latestflavor View Post
The track is heavily compressed in a dense mix. The guy obv does not play flamenco and may not have nails. But you are the man, really showed me up!
You don't have to be a flamenco player to use a flamenco style strum. Flamenco players also generally play nylon strings, too.

As to compression, sure. Most everything is compressed these days. It's hip-hop, what do you expect?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear