The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tone Stack/Preamp Pedal for Rhodes
Old 3rd August 2020
Here for the gear

Tone Stack/Preamp Pedal for Rhodes

Hi all, first time poster!

I'm mainly a keys player, using a Nord Stage 2 live for rhodes sounds. I loooove recording through fender amps (I've used a vintage Tremolux, various different Deluxes and Hot Rods etc) and used to carry around a Blues Jr to gigs.

But in reality carrying an amp is beyond impractical especially when you have to also carry a keybaord, stand, pedals, maybe another synth, all the while every second sound tech assumes I carry it because I don't know what a stage monitor is and nearly refuses to mic it up. Let alone touring.

So I'm looking for a preamp pedal. I've tried a Mad Professor Simble Overdrive (Awesome sound, for my purposes no versatile tone controls, breaks up too early probably). Also looking at a Joyo JF-14 (cheap AF, looks pretty good), and the Effectrode Blackbird (Tubes!!!!!! Awesome features, but massively spenno)

What else is out there? Doesn't necessarily have to be fenderish, but needs a percussive, dynamic top end, thicc mids and subtle breakup.

Thanks GS
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickni View Post

I'm mainly a keys player, using a Nord Stage 2 live for rhodes sounds. I loooove recording through fender amps (I've used a vintage Tremolux, various different Deluxes and Hot Rods etc) and used to carry around a Blues Jr to gigs.

But in reality carrying an amp is beyond impractical especially when you have to also carry a keybaord, stand, pedals, maybe another synth, all the while every second sound tech assumes I carry it because I don't know what a stage monitor is and nearly refuses to mic it up. Let alone touring.

So I'm looking for a preamp pedal. I've tried a Mad Professor Simble Overdrive (Awesome sound, for my purposes no versatile tone controls, breaks up too early probably). Also looking at a Joyo JF-14 (cheap AF, looks pretty good), and the Effectrode Blackbird (Tubes!!!!!! Awesome features, but massively spenno)

What else is out there? Doesn't necessarily have to be fenderish, but needs a percussive, dynamic top end, thicc mids and subtle breakup.

Thanks GS
For original Rhodes, it was designed to work with a Twin Reverb. I also had great results with a BadCat/Matchless amps. So logically any tube preamp emulating a fender (like Kingsley, Vemuram...) or a matchless/BadCat (they make their own very nice tube pres), going into a speaker sim, you should be right.
However, Nord Stage 2 does not sound like a real Rhodes (of which we have 4 off), believe me we tried many times, and has a different level output. So it doesn't matter if you use any clean tube pre, or something like that http://redironamps.com/buffer/ (very nice and versatile unit for line out) into a line input of the mixer. I love that unit on digital Hammond B3 - superb). With a pedal you may want a re-amp unit from nord and a di on the output of the pedal
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

May want to check out Kingsley pedals, no clue how they'd work with keys, but as a high-end amp and pedal designer, his main focus is on high-dynamic-range designs, gradual breakup, etc. with tubes.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickni View Post

Thanks GS
Fender twin or deluxe tone masters...

Cab m+ torpedo
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Addict

Look at the Palmer pocket amp mkii. The only problem with the product is that you cannot bypass the speaker sim, but in your situation I don’t think it’s an issue at all. I have a number of excellent real amps and I am floored at how good and versatile this thing sounds.
Old 14th August 2020
The old Rhodes Suitcase (I think) that came in two parts had a preamp in it with tone controls and "vibrato" (tremolo). The speaker with it was powered and stereo, with 2x65 watt SS amps. The tremolo was also stereo. This sounds a lot like that. I would recommend putting together a small rack.
📝 Reply